New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

40-150 Pro repeated service problems

white
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 40-150 Pro repeated service problems

My 40-150 Pro has had the same mechanical failure twice now.

The outer rear 1/3 barrel became loose and rotates significantly all the way up to the zoom ring. It starts to bind against the zoom ring.

This was serviced once already and has now occurred again, but of course out of any repair warranty. I am not hard on my equipment.

There seems to be no interest from OM Systems / Olympus / whatever they call themselves these days, to rectify a repeating problem. I think few people like to pay over and over for the same service issue. This also eats away at the level of confidence you can place in the equipment on extended and important trips.

With a history of 10 years of Canon FD, 30 years of Canon EF, and 5 years now of Sony, I have had previous few equipment failures. And now I get repeated failures on the same Olympus lens.

How have others had any issues with their 40-150?

Based on this and the lack of concern I have canceled my 150-400 Pro order and wonder if I should dump my Olympus and concentrate on my Sony. I can not say I am overly impressed with the OM-1 tracking anyway. Even the eye focus is flaky compared to the tenacious Sony.

Yes I am pissed off.

Jun 13, 2022 at 11:12 AM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 40-150 Pro repeated service problems

Nary a problem with mine.

I certainly would not buy either the OM-1 or 150-400 due to a complete lack of confidence in OM Systems.

Hence the reason I pre-ordered the Canon R7 to go with my great Canon 100-500mm.

Jun 13, 2022 at 09:06 PM
dcisive
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 40-150 Pro repeated service problems

So much for differences of opinion. I just sold my RF100-500 and got an OM-1 with the Panasonic/Leica 100-400 which is giving me an equivalent reach on FF of 200-800. I'm LOVING it. That sucker nails whatever is moving like lighting and stays right on it. I have an R5 and who knows, may not even bother to keep it. This OM-1 takes delightful images right up to 21,800 ISO no problem full of detail, and I don't shoot up there anyway. So much easier to carry around too. I have a 40-150 f2.8 Pro coming tomorrow and am amped. I'm going to see if it's better than having my RF70-200 f2.8L especially for convenient reach. It's not that I"m unhappy with my R5, but the flexibility and onboard feature set of this OM is rekindling the "fun" factor big time.

Jun 13, 2022 at 09:15 PM
PV Hiker
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 40-150 Pro repeated service problems

Mr. White, Sorry that you are having issues with your lens. You asked how others owners experiences with this lens... We have 2 of them and know of three others users and have had no issues with 40-150 f2.8 lenses. It has been our second go to lens after the 150-400mm.

Perhaps you are unfortunate that you got a lemon in the bunch. If OM systems would just replace it that would be nice. I see that you are venting with your bad experience over the situation. Wish you happiness with your decisions going forward.

Jun 13, 2022 at 10:07 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 40-150 Pro repeated service problems

dcisive wrote:
So much for differences of opinion. I just sold my RF100-500 and got an OM-1 with the Panasonic/Leica 100-400 which is giving me an equivalent reach on FF of 200-800. I'm LOVING it. That sucker nails whatever is moving like lighting and stays right on it. I have an R5 and who knows, may not even bother to keep it. This OM-1 takes delightful images right up to 21,800 ISO no problem full of detail,........

Would just love to see a sequence of your 'like lightning' and sticky action images, as well as some delightful images taken at 21,800 ISO.

I will stick with the R7 giving me equivalent reach on FF of 160-800mm with 32.5MP images compared to the OM-1's 20MP images.

Jun 13, 2022 at 10:44 PM
Bob Kane
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 40-150 Pro repeated service problems

Darn. I miss the peace and quiet we had here for a few months.

Jun 14, 2022 at 06:06 AM
dcisive
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 40-150 Pro repeated service problems

It is a bit fascinating that you could have 100 people having a great time with a given product and posting about it, then one person comes along with a negative comment and the party seems as if it's over. Hang in there this too shall pass

Jun 14, 2022 at 10:29 AM
MEDISN

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 40-150 Pro repeated service problems

I own two copies of the 40-150/2.8, they are my most used lenses. No failures in 7+ years of continual use. If I lost them tomorrow I would order replacements same day.

Jun 15, 2022 at 12:16 PM
Robin Smith
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 40-150 Pro repeated service problems

No problem with mine. Why not try the Panasonic 35-100mm or the new 40-150 f4 or 200mm Panasonic etc etc? I think you may find that the other side is no greener. If you are looking for people with bad experiences with lenses of all makes, you don't have to look far, which often is enough to put you off every company.

Jun 15, 2022 at 01:31 PM
white
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 40-150 Pro repeated service problems

dcisive wrote:
It is a bit fascinating that you could have 100 people having a great time with a given product and posting about it, then one person comes along with a negative comment and the party seems as if it's over. Hang in there this too shall pass

Some one always has to find a way to make a nasty comment...that award goes to you today. And apparently you are not even an Olympus user.

It is totally valid to want to get a read if others have had the same occurring problem. I did not think it was normal or acceptable to have that same repeat failure.

The good news is that some one in the OM Systems chain of command decided this was not normal and has stated they will send me a new lens. If so, this is definitely good service, but it did require a persistent email exchange to get to that point.

Jun 16, 2022 at 06:53 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Pwdrhound

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 40-150 Pro repeated service problems

white wrote:
Some one always has to find a way to make a nasty comment...that award goes to you today. And apparently you are not even an Olympus user.

It is totally valid to want to get a read if others have had the same occurring problem. I did not think it was normal or acceptable to have that same repeat failure.

The good news is that some one in the OM Systems chain of command decided this was not normal and has stated they will send me a new lens. If so, this is definitely good service, but it did require a
...Show more

I don't think that comment was meant for you.... could be wrong. And dcisive has just started using an OM1 and is impressed.

Glad Olympus is going to make it right. Shows persistence can pay off.

Jun 16, 2022 at 07:21 PM
dcisive
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 40-150 Pro repeated service problems

white wrote:

The good news is that some one in the OM Systems chain of command decided this was not normal and has stated they will send me a new lens. If so, this is definitely good service, but it did require a
...Show more

I'm afraid you have it all wrong. I'm sorry to hear of your plight. But it is fairly common throughout the internet to find someone that will run into a problem with a product, and then suddenly it's as if that given product "has issues". When in fact it's downright rare. By the way I happen to be a professional who has a R5 along with several RF L glass and such. I recently (a week ago) took delivery of an OM-1, 12-40 f2.8 ProII, Panasonic/Leica 100-400 and yesterday the venerable 40-150 f2.8 Pro. That 40-150 to ME is equal to ANY top flight Canon L or Nikon gold ring glass all day long. Built like a Leica and it's focus is instant and dead on accurate with sharpness you can get cut with. If you got a bad one then sorry you got the bad card out of the deck. But the lens in and of itself is remarkable. I LOVE that retractable hood. Some have hated it but I think it's a brilliant design that is a pure time saver, and it's made out of much thicker plastic then standard lens hoods. I'll leave it there.

Jun 16, 2022 at 09:11 PM
white
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · 40-150 Pro repeated service problems

dcisive wrote:
I'm afraid you have it all wrong. I'm sorry to hear of your plight. But it is fairly common throughout the internet to find someone that will run into a problem with a product, and then suddenly it's as if that given product "has issues". When in fact it's downright rare. By the way I happen to be a professional who has a R5 along with several RF L glass and such. I recently (a week ago) took delivery of an OM-1, 12-40 f2.8 ProII, Panasonic/Leica 100-400 and yesterday the venerable 40-150 f2.8 Pro. That 40-150 to ME is equal
...Show more

I concur it is a very good optic. Apparently mine had repeated mechanical issues that are not commonly seen. I expect having a replacement will solve that. Apparently OM Systems thinks it was a problem copy by their final response.

Overall over the years I have had very few service issues with any of my equipment, which made this stand out with the repeated failures.

I did not expect my query into what other peoples service experience with this lens has been to become a target for barbed or obtuse comments.

With over 25,000 images on Getty iStock I guess I qualify as semi professional too.

Jun 16, 2022 at 11:16 PM
drofnad
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · 40-150 Pro repeated service problems

It is totally valid to want to get a read if others have had the same occurring problem. I did not think it was normal or acceptable to have that same repeat failure

Indeed. And I didn't read the OP any other way --that this problem recurred AFTER its initial repair (wasn't said what durations were prior 1st failure, and then prior the recurrence) seemed extra troubling. And seeking a sense of the issue from others is a good plan. (I similarly got an idea of the seeming weakness of 12-40/2.8 mounts, when mine failed after a minor drop; Olympus IMO did a good job taking the lens for repair and making it right.)

Glad you got some redress,
and hope you have much happiness with the new lens (and any others!).

(-;

Jun 21, 2022 at 04:18 PM
amv8
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · 40-150 Pro repeated service problems

white wrote:

...Show more

Just another data point, I sent a 12-100 Pro in for repair at Olympus (pre-acquisition). I dropped the lens so of course I was paying for the repair. When I got it back, it still wasn't working correctly (it's been a while so I don't recall the specific issue, but it may have been an optical alignment issue). Olympus had me send it in a second time and just sent me back a brand new lens.

With the 40-150 Pro, it's a very solid lens but don't expect the retractable lens hood to last. They're known for failures.

Jun 21, 2022 at 04:48 PM
dcisive
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · 40-150 Pro repeated service problems

amv8 wrote:
Just another data point, I sent a 12-100 Pro in for repair at Olympus (pre-acquisition). I dropped the lens so of course I was paying for the repair. When I got it back, it still wasn't working correctly (it's been a while so I don't recall the specific issue, but it may have been an optical alignment issue). Olympus had me send it in a second time and just sent me back a brand new lens.

With the 40-150 Pro, it's a very solid lens but don't expect the retractable lens hood to last. They're known for failures.

Well, being OCD as I am I fully expect the hood to outlast me. I don't drop, bump or man handle it. I'm very careful about the amount of pressure I open and close it with. I would imagine the "average" user is far from as careful as I so indeed stuff may happen.

Jun 21, 2022 at 10:36 PM
elwappo99

p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · 40-150 Pro repeated service problems

Ouch that's a bummer. I was worried what would happen with the trade off to a new management team.

FWIW I had a 40-150mm that never had any issues for years. Previous owner looked like the accidentally dropped on a rock and then decided to make the exterior match by rolling it in sand

Seems like there's some underlying issue and it's a bad copy where they can't find the source issue.

Jul 05, 2022 at 06:27 PM
Robin Smith
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · 40-150 Pro repeated service problems

No problem with my 40-150 hood. Leica R lenses are known for nice built in hoods. I've never really understood why more makers don't do this routinely.

Jul 07, 2022 at 09:40 AM
BidinTime
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · 40-150 Pro repeated service problems

dcisive wrote:
Well, being OCD as I am I fully expect the hood to outlast me. I don't drop, bump or man handle it. I'm very careful about the amount of pressure I open and close it with. I would imagine the "average" user is far from as careful as I so indeed stuff may happen.

It's amazing how some people treat their gear horribly then complain that things don't last.
My former BIL was like that.

Jul 27, 2022 at 10:44 PM

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password