New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2022 · Pedestrians

eeneryma
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Pedestrians

Part of a series I'm working on, pedestrians walking the streets of Greenwich Village.

Steve

SteveSchulmanPhotography 2022

Faces

Young Couple

Jun 12, 2022 at 01:16 PM
eeneryma
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Pedestrians

eeneryma wrote:
Part of a series I'm working on, pedestrians walking the streets of Greenwich Village.

Steve

A couple more:

Edited on Jun 12, 2022 at 08:00 PM · View previous versions

Jun 12, 2022 at 07:57 PM
eeneryma
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Pedestrians

eeneryma wrote:

Steve

A couple more:

People Passing

Man In A Blue Tee

Jun 12, 2022 at 07:58 PM
Shasoc
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Pedestrians

The second shot works best for me, Steve. The pedestrians looking at you, both smiling and the girl posing for you makes the image very pleasing and more dynamic. I guess the subjects just entering the frame is an artistic choice that seems to work for me.

In the third one it's hard to miss the focal point (JK)

Socrate

Jun 12, 2022 at 11:01 PM
Kalainen
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Pedestrians

First one is good, because you are actually creating an interesting image which shows aesthetic decisions. None of the others are actually that interesting and to me they look like a practices of high shutter speed. Experiment with the idea taken from the first one, but try to replicate it in more interesting light (evening, golden hour, night) and you could bring it to a another level.

Jun 13, 2022 at 04:50 AM
eeneryma
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Pedestrians

Shasoc wrote:
The second shot works best for me, Steve. The pedestrians looking at you, both smiling and the girl posing for you makes the image very pleasing and more dynamic. I guess the subjects just entering the frame is an artistic choice that seems to work for me.

In the third one it's hard to miss the focal point (JK)

Socrate

Appreciate your feedback Socrate. Since I'm shooting from a distance using a telephoto lens, most of the subjects have no idea they're being photographed, i.e. this is primarily a candid street photography project. I'll post a couple of more examples.

Steve

Jun 13, 2022 at 08:13 AM
eeneryma
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Pedestrians

Kalainen wrote:
First one is good, because you are actually creating an interesting image which shows aesthetic decisions. None of the others are actually that interesting and to me they look like a practices of high shutter speed. Experiment with the idea taken from the first one, but try to replicate it in more interesting light (evening, golden hour, night) and you could bring it to a another level.

I appreciate your comments Kalainen. All the photos in this project are shot in the same spot, on Broadway in Greenwich Village. I'm shooting at different times of the day and because there are tall buildings on each side of the avenue, the lighting varies significantly. The most important elements in choosing what works for me are gesture and intent, fashion, portraiture, social interaction, lifestyle, means of commuting in the big city, advertising, etc. My goal at the end of this project is to have formed an overall viewpoint of what life in a big city is like in 2022.

Steve

Jun 13, 2022 at 08:31 AM
eeneryma
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Pedestrians

A few more...

NBA

Ladies Laughing

Obi Wan

Two Angels

Jun 13, 2022 at 08:39 AM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Pedestrians

Is it a statement of the time that the only pedestrian with fashion sense was a whippet?

Jun 13, 2022 at 04:15 PM
Kalainen
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Pedestrians

eeneryma wrote:
I appreciate your comments Kalainen. All the photos in this project are shot in the same spot, on Broadway in Greenwich Village. I'm shooting at different times of the day and because there are tall buildings on each side of the avenue, the lighting varies significantly. The most important elements in choosing what works for me are gesture and intent, fashion, portraiture, social interaction, lifestyle, means of commuting in the big city, advertising, etc. My goal at the end of this project is to have formed an overall viewpoint of what life in a big city is like in 2022.

Steve

Hi Steve,

And thanks for your reply and explaining your idea. I really like the fact that you have a project and idea behind these pictures - this alone differentiates you from the 90 % of other photographers (most of them don't have). All this makes this a lot more clear.

One idea:
- Your idea now is a kind of 'statistical cut through' of people who are walking in streets of Greenwich Village. Instead of this statistical approach you could also think what you want say about the life in a big city - what is *your interpretation* of it. For example, you could read Georg Simmels Metropolis and Mental Life essay from 1903 and see if raises some ideas (taster here: https://www.blackwellpublishing.com/content/bpl_images/content_store/sample_chapter/0631225137/bridge.pdf)

I like the pic number one because it points to anomality, but you can still see the sex, ethnicity and all. It takes a way individuality of the subjects and makes them more just a pass byers.

But anyway, these are just some ideas what this project raised in me and I hope you get it done during year. So, good luck with the project.

ps. I also like the Obiwan picture as well. :-)

Jun 13, 2022 at 04:28 PM
eeneryma
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Pedestrians

Kalainen wrote:
Hi Steve,

And thanks for your reply and explaining your idea. I really like the fact that you have a project and idea behind these pictures - this alone differentiates you from the 90 % of other photographers (most of them don't have). All this makes this a lot more clear.

One idea:
- Your idea now is a kind of 'statistical cut through' of people who are walking in streets of Greenwich Village. Instead of this statistical approach you could also think what you want say about the life in a big city - what is *your interpretation* of it. For
...Show more

Thanks again Kalainen and for sending the link to the George Simmels article which I'll read that on your suggestion.

Here's a couple of more from my project...

Marines

Qweer

Jun 14, 2022 at 09:01 AM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Pedestrians

Steve,

Personally I'm not really connecting with any of the images in the series, aside from the fact that they are all very similar in nature and nature in the same spot.

These images are not nearly as engaging as some of your others. My $0.02!

Jeff

Jun 14, 2022 at 11:00 AM
eeneryma
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Pedestrians

beavens wrote:
Steve,

Personally I'm not really connecting with any of the images in the series, aside from the fact that they are all very similar in nature and nature in the same spot.

These images are not nearly as engaging as some of your others. My $0.02!

Jeff

Always appreciate your take Jeff. In a sense, I look at this series as candid street portraiture. I take inspiration from people like Richard Avedon (check out his book, "American West"), Irving Penn ("Small Trades"), and August Sander. They're quiet photos for the most part, not a lot of action going on, which is intentional, and they're all taken with the same background. We'll see where the project goes.

Steve

Jun 14, 2022 at 11:18 AM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.