Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1      
2
       3       end
  

Archive 2022 · Olympus 100-400mm image thread

  
 
absolutic
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Olympus 100-400mm image thread


dcisive wrote:
I'm not finding 1/2000th mandatory on my OM-1 thus far. I'm not sure what body you're using. I had a R5 and RF100-500L before as well and indeed higher shutter speeds helped. But I'm not finding the OM-1 terribly fussy.


I am using OM1. Donít know what to tell you but once I switched to higher shutter speeds with 100-400 all of the sudden everything is sharp. Maybe my hands are super shakey these days I donít know.



Sep 22, 2022 at 09:26 PM
Tom Reynolds
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Olympus 100-400mm image thread


I am typically at 1/3200 for BIF


Sep 22, 2022 at 10:04 PM
Imagemaster
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Olympus 100-400mm image thread


*




  E-M1MarkIII    OLYMPUS M.100-400mm F5.0-6.3 lens    335mm    f/6.7    1/3000s    640 ISO    -1.0 EV  




Dec 02, 2022 at 11:40 PM
dcisive
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Olympus 100-400mm image thread


Some shots around my area with the OM-1 and Olympus 100-400 lens. I have to admit I never thought that lens would spend so much time on my OM-1, but I'd have to say it's like at least 60% or more of the time. When I'm out and about it just seems that things are further off then I might have thought. I was so gratified that it is every bit as sharp as a former Canon RF100-500 L IS I had on an R5 prior. I feel there is NO compromise and my arms and shoulders love me now.





Hagerman Idaho Moon

  OM-1     M.100-400mm F5.0-6.3 + MC-14 lens    560mm    f/9.0    1/800s    200 ISO    -3.3 EV  







Snake River Pelicans Hanging Out

  OM-1     OLYMPUS M.100-400mm F5.0-6.3 lens    400mm    f/6.3    1/1600s    200 ISO    -1.0 EV  






Thousand Springs Waterfall with Fishing Folks

  OM-1    OLYMPUS M.100-400mm F5.0-6.3 lens    200mm    f/8.0    1/400s    200 ISO    -1.3 EV  




Dec 03, 2022 at 03:03 PM
Imagemaster
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Olympus 100-400mm image thread


Handheld




  E-M1MarkIII    M.100-400mm F5.0-6.3 + MC-20 lens    800mm    f/13.0    1/125s    6400 ISO    0.0 EV  




Dec 07, 2022 at 11:50 PM
FJR1
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Olympus 100-400mm image thread


Winter pics during a Jan. 2, 2023 walk at a local frozen lake, and processed through DxO Photolab 6.




  OM-1     OLYMPUS M.100-400mm F5.0-6.3 lens    218mm    f/6.3    1/500s    1250 ISO    0.0 EV  






  OM-1    OLYMPUS M.100-400mm F5.0-6.3 lens    400mm    f/6.3    1/250s    200 ISO    0.0 EV  






  OM-1    OLYMPUS M.100-400mm F5.0-6.3 lens    307mm    f/6.3    1/500s    1600 ISO    0.0 EV  






OM-1 OLYMPUS M.100-400mm F5.0-6.3 lens 400mm f/6.3 1/500s 1000 ISO 0.0 EV




Jan 03, 2023 at 06:08 AM
vertigo1959
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Olympus 100-400mm image thread


I use the 300mm f4 but often have the 1.4 TC attached ,the results seem just fine but sometimes a bigger bird or a deer will catch me out because my lens is too long.
Would the 100-400 be sharper than the 300 + 1.4 TC?

I have an EM-1 mk iii which i am very happy with and could never afford the 150-400 which is a little large for my style even if i could.
Nice images on this thread anyway.



Jan 04, 2023 at 08:10 PM
FJR1
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Olympus 100-400mm image thread


vertigo1959 wrote:
I use the 300mm f4 but often have the 1.4 TC attached ,the results seem just fine but sometimes a bigger bird or a deer will catch me out because my lens is too long.
Would the 100-400 be sharper than the 300 + 1.4 TC?

I have an EM-1 mk iii which i am very happy with and could never afford the 150-400 which is a little large for my style even if i could.
Nice images on this thread anyway.


I have both lenses, because I do appreciate the versatility of the 100-400 (which also takes the Olympus TC's). I would say the 300 with the 1.4 TC might be slightly sharper but perhaps not discernibly so unless you get into large prints. Good luck with your decision.




Jan 05, 2023 at 05:40 AM
Paul_100A
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Olympus 100-400mm image thread


FJR1 wrote:
I have both lenses, because I do appreciate the versatility of the 100-400 (which also takes the Olympus TC's). I would say the 300 with the 1.4 TC might be slightly sharper but perhaps not discernibly so unless you get into large prints. Good luck with your decision.


i don't know what you are shooting so...
for perched birds...
I still have the 4/300 (and the 150-400) and I had the 100-400 for a period of time. I use the OM-1 now but I started birding with the EM1mkII (for a couple years) and then the EM1X (for nearly 3 years)....all with the 4/300 (and both TCs).
sure, the 100-400 is capable of producing good sharp results very comparable to the 4/300 BUT not very often.
with the 100-400; in a day i might have gotten maybe 3 critically focused images (showing image quality comparable to the 4/300) out of a 1000 whereas with the 4/300 i'd get an over abundance of critically focused images. i can even say that I get a higher number of critically focused images per burst with the 4/300 than I do with the 150-400 Pro.
*I remember thinking to myself that the 100-400 seemed to focus faster than the 4/300...I have no idea if that's indeed anymore than an impression.
for BIF...I wouldn't bother at all with the 100-400. some folks will likely disagree with that opinion but some folks also have different requirements of, and satisfactory levels of, image quality.



Jan 05, 2023 at 01:18 PM
vertigo1959
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Olympus 100-400mm image thread


Paul_100A wrote:
i don't know what you are shooting so...
for perched birds...
I still have the 4/300 (and the 150-400) and I had the 100-400 for a period of time. I use the OM-1 now but I started birding with the EM1mkII (for a couple years) and then the EM1X (for nearly 3 years)....all with the 4/300 (and both TCs).
sure, the 100-400 is capable of producing good sharp results very comparable to the 4/300 BUT not very often.
with the 100-400; in a day i might have gotten maybe 3 critically focused images (showing image quality comparable to the 4/300) out of a 1000
...Show more

Thanks very much , i shoot mostly small and medium size birds ,think i will just stick with my 300mm and 1.4 TC.



Jan 05, 2023 at 03:37 PM
Tom Reynolds
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Olympus 100-400mm image thread


I believe that the OM-1 focuses better and faster than the EM1X. So far, I see little difference between the 300f4 and the 100-400 when using shutter speeds of 1/2500 or above.

Tom



Jan 05, 2023 at 05:05 PM
Paul_100A
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Olympus 100-400mm image thread


Tom Reynolds wrote:
I believe that the OM-1 focuses better and faster than the EM1X.

Tom

if the OP had an OM-1 and not an EM1mkIII I might suggest trying the 100-400.

i would be curious to try the 100-400 with the OM-1 to see if the OM-1 is able to squeeze a higher rate of critically focused images from it.

i've heard the OM-1 does just that with the Leica 100-400.

oops..check that...
"over 1/2500" ?
i shoot small/medium sized perched birds at shutter speeds 1/40 or so.
not ideal for the 100-400 over 1/2500.



Jan 05, 2023 at 05:54 PM
Tom Reynolds
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Olympus 100-400mm image thread


I would never shoot @ less than 1/1250 for a perched bird unless the low-light condition required me to do so. The reason is that perched birds move and 1/1250 is kinda the minimum for a sharp shot. However, perched birds do take off and when they are in flight I don't want anything below 1/2500 and 1/3200 is better.

The general rule is that I can fix a shot with noise but not one that is soft.

Regards,

Tom




  OM-1    OLYMPUS M.100-400mm F5.0-6.3 lens    400mm    f/8.0    1/3200s    1000 ISO    0.0 EV  




Jan 05, 2023 at 06:19 PM
Paul_100A
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Olympus 100-400mm image thread




Tom Reynolds wrote:
I would never shoot @ less than 1/1250 for a perched bird unless the low-light condition required me to do so. The reason is that perched birds move and 1/1250 is kinda the minimum for a sharp shot. However, perched birds do take off and when they are in flight I don't want anything below 1/2500 and 1/3200 is better.

The general rule is that I can fix a shot with noise but not one that is soft.

Regards,

Tom

Sure.
Myself and plenty others can show you numerous tack sharp shots of bird/wildlife at 1/25 or better. I keep to 1/40 or better.
Different strokes for different folks.
Mike Lane often states that he sets his auto minimum ISO to 1600 because ďheĒ canít see any difference between base ISO and 1600.
I assure you I can.
I will get one or two good images per burst at 1/40th and I appreciate the lower ISOís IQ.
Topaz and the likes are good and getting better but using low ISOs is still best for me.



Jan 05, 2023 at 06:35 PM
Tom Reynolds
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Olympus 100-400mm image thread


Yes, I have also seen many tack sharp shots at a low shutter speed. I don't dispute that. Peace.

Tom



Jan 05, 2023 at 07:19 PM
dcisive
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Olympus 100-400mm image thread


I played with your image Tom in Topaz Sharpen AI. It came out completely devoid of grain and brought out nice detail in the bird's feathers. So your shot had a LOT more potential than you see.


Jan 05, 2023 at 08:39 PM
vertigo1959
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Olympus 100-400mm image thread


Paul_100A wrote:
if the OP had an OM-1 and not an EM1mkIII I might suggest trying the 100-400.

i would be curious to try the 100-400 with the OM-1 to see if the OM-1 is able to squeeze a higher rate of critically focused images from it.

i've heard the OM-1 does just that with the Leica 100-400.

oops..check that...
"over 1/2500" ?
i shoot small/medium sized perched birds at shutter speeds 1/40 or so.
not ideal for the 100-400 over 1/2500.


The EM-1 mk iii can shoot a small bird in bad light in focus at 1/20th of a second which is amazing but of course your limited to a portrait shot when the bird is still.
I will stick with my 300mm f4 because the advantages outweigh the disadvantages versus the 100-400 although there are some great images on this thread.



Jan 07, 2023 at 06:12 PM
Tom Reynolds
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Olympus 100-400mm image thread



"I will stick with my 300mm f4 because the advantages outweigh the disadvantages versus the 100-400 although there are some great images on this thread."

I have a 300f4 and will be @ Laguna Seca Ranch in early February. That setting will be ideal for a 300mm m43 lens so I will be able to take virtually identical shots side-by-side with my 100-400.

Typically, the light is good and the background far away so low-light and bokeh differences won't be seen but overall sharpness will.

It will be a good test in a controlled environment. Attached is a shot from last year with a D-500/500pf

Tom






  NIKON D500    500.0 mm f/5.6 lens    500mm    f/7.1    1/3200s    4000 ISO    +0.7 EV  




Jan 07, 2023 at 06:26 PM
vertigo1959
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Olympus 100-400mm image thread


Tom Reynolds wrote:
"I will stick with my 300mm f4 because the advantages outweigh the disadvantages versus the 100-400 although there are some great images on this thread."

I have a 300f4 and will be @ Laguna Seca Ranch in early February. That setting will be ideal for a 300mm m43 lens so I will be able to take virtually identical shots side-by-side with my 100-400.

Typically, the light is good and the background far away so low-light and bokeh differences won't be seen but overall sharpness will.

It will be a good test in a controlled environment. Attached is a shot from last year
...Show more

That will be interesting.
Typically the light is low in the UK although sometimes you get a very nice soft overcast light which is a decent substitute for plenty of light.



Jan 07, 2023 at 07:37 PM
dcisive
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Olympus 100-400mm image thread


I still feel a good copy of the 100-400 trumps any other options for a long lens Even with a 1.4xtc on the end of it. A great way to get a equivalence of 800 or 1120mm on a given day. Not to mention the svelte size and overall weight. The 300 f4 is a fine lens don't get me wrong, but in most all my cases I can't be strapped with a single focal range choice. The sharpness of my copy of the 100-400 is simply sublime. I think perhaps I lucked out I don't know.


Jan 09, 2023 at 11:09 PM
1      
2
       3       end




FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1      
2
       3       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password



This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.