New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

FYI: Cost of shutter release repair

anthonysemone
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · FYI: Cost of shutter release repair

Out of warranty repair of the shutter release of my X100V is $455 including taxes and FedEx Ground from Edison NJ to Philly. Total time out of service will be 7 to 10 days, door to door. Anthony

Jun 09, 2022 at 07:43 AM
molson
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · FYI: Cost of shutter release repair

Ouch!

Jun 09, 2022 at 08:02 AM
anthonysemone
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · FYI: Cost of shutter release repair

Quite a “ding” for sure, but cheaper than a Q2M

Jun 09, 2022 at 08:21 AM
molson
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · FYI: Cost of shutter release repair

anthonysemone wrote:
Quite a “ding” for sure, but cheaper than a Q2M

Probably cheaper than the same repair on a Q2M as well...

Jun 09, 2022 at 10:04 AM
jslaven

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · FYI: Cost of shutter release repair

Did it fail on its own, or was there a physical accident that caused it to break?

Jun 09, 2022 at 10:26 AM
anthonysemone
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · FYI: Cost of shutter release repair

Hard to say, jslaven. I noticed that, increasingly, the soft release that was screwed into the shutter release became loose, falling off at random intervals. At the same time, the shutter release itself became wobbly, requiring more pressure to actuate it, e.g., more downward pressure, and then more lateral AND downward pressure. Soft release became dysfunctional. To keep from losing it, I put on its tip a minuscule drop of Blue Loctite. Made no difference in its staying connected. End of the day? It just quit. Froze up. Bought LN from MPB. It was certainly that, without question. So, that's the best I can recall. Right now, I'm awaiting its return from Fuji in Edison NJ. Hoping to have it tomorrow despite the fact that Fuji's tracking link to FedEx gives no tracking info from a shipment yesterday. HTH, Anthony

Jun 09, 2022 at 04:55 PM
anthonysemone
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · FYI: Cost of shutter release repair

And the beat goes on:

FWIW, the repair of my X100V is $455. I figured that would be about it. Here's the problem: the FedEx link to tracking its return to me is "dead." I've entered all the correct info the relevant screen. Master Card confirms it is fully paid. Contact with repair person advised he'd send a note to shipping to have them forward me a new link. NADA. Allegedly my X00V was sent out end of day 8 June as confirmed by repair person. Still no info on the Order Status link for tracking info. Anybody got a phone # at Edison for an inquiry to a live human being as to where the hell is my damn tracking so I can figure out where the hell my camera is? Anthony

Jun 09, 2022 at 05:33 PM
anthonysemone
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · FYI: Cost of shutter release repair

FWIW, I reached a really nice guy in Repair yesterday evening. Got same message: “I’ll contact shipping and we’ll get the tracking # right out to you tomorrow. He acknowledged my two previous calls where other CS reps had said the same thing. I’ll check when they open. While I can file a charge back on my Apple Card (never fails to back me up), that will only cover the cost of the “repair.” I’ll still be out my X100V. Edison NJ is a one hour drive from where I live to their facility, so I reckon a trip up there is in my future. Any thoughts from any one about other options I’d be grateful for. Anhtony

Jun 10, 2022 at 06:18 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

ross attix
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · FYI: Cost of shutter release repair

Fuji is responsible for returning the camera. If it was insured, file a claim with the carrier. If not, file a claim with Fuji.

Not sure I understand the comment about only getting the repair cost reimbursed. If the camera has gone missing, you are entitled to get it replaced.

Jun 10, 2022 at 06:56 AM
anthonysemone
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · FYI: Cost of shutter release repair

Hi Ross, thanks for your comment. Yes, the outbound shipping via FedEx was insured by me for full value, packed by FedEx employee in my presence, and I have a copy of Fuji receiving it via a delivery notification to me w/ a signature of the Fuji person who signed for it. So, I know it's there. I'll have to check with Apple Card/Goldman Sachs to see if its loss by Fuji is also covered. I doubt it, but I'll know more in a few minutes. I know that the "cost of repair" will be immediately charged back to Fuji, and I'll win that one if Fuji doesn't have it. I expect that Fuji bears the cost of return shipping, and, in the absence of a FedEx tracking #, which seems to be the case, that would be at least reasonable suspicion that Fuji doesn't know where camera is in their system. In any case, I'll check that out with FedEx at my local site. Thanks again for your reply. Anthony

Jun 10, 2022 at 07:53 AM
anthonysemone
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · FYI: Cost of shutter release repair

Follow up: Talked to a really helpful person at Fuji Edison this AM, same person I had spoken to previously. Asked him to get me a tracking # because Shipping had not been in contact with me x3. Short story: their system for recording shipments was somehow glitched. I got the tracking # from him and it shows out for delivery here in Philly. Seriously helpful gentleman he is. Anthony

Jun 10, 2022 at 10:30 AM
Desmolicious
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · FYI: Cost of shutter release repair

First off, that repair seems really expensive. I honestly think Leica is about the same.

I stopped using soft releases a long time ago as a tech told me that they could cause the shutter rod/release assembly to warp very slightly. Now this was with mechanical film cameras and the mechanism I am sure is different w digital cameras but still it gives me pause.

Hope the camera is delivered soon and to your satisfaction!

Jun 10, 2022 at 04:15 PM
anthonysemone
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · FYI: Cost of shutter release repair

Hi Des,

Yep, just arrived. Fuji CS rep was outstanding. Got me the tracking # forthwith after I advised him I couldn't understand how come Shipping didn't send me the link. BAM. I'm interested to see what the repair sheet looks like as to what they did. Your description of the effects of using a soft release duplicate mine. Using it, the entire actuation process just got sloppy, that is, until it didn't. It may also be that the tiny drop of Blue Loctite I used to keep the soft release itself from falling off could have migrated through out the mechanism, but on other shooting equipment with also very tight tolerances I never had that happen. Always a first time, eh? I'll drop off a note here about what they did and post up a pic of the outline of it. Take care, Anthony

Jun 10, 2022 at 05:51 PM
runamuck
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · FYI: Cost of shutter release repair

$455 divided by how many thousand shots works out to how many mills per shot?

Jun 10, 2022 at 07:59 PM
anthonysemone
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · FYI: Cost of shutter release repair

Looks like the cost of all services rendered by Fuji showed up as a Flat Rate Charge of $394, and then the usual additional ones for return transportation and taxes leading to a total to Fuji of 438.84. My cost to ship to Edison NJ was 16.75$. My speculation is that the Fuji Flat Rate charge is predicted upon the many such repairs they've been asked to complete, but that's only conjecture. Anyhow, I'm a happy camper, and yes, very cost effect over the # of shots I'll take with it, no never mind what the cost might look like on a Q2M. HTH, Anthony

© anthonysemone 2022

Cost of Shutter Release Repair

iPhone 12 Pro Max    iPhone 12 Pro Max back triple camera 5.1mm f/1.6 lens    5mm    f/1.6    1/60s    400 ISO    0.0 EV  

Jun 11, 2022 at 08:50 AM

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password