New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Amazonís unconscionable shipping - Fuji 23mm F1.4 R LM WR

steveb
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Amazonís unconscionable shipping - Fuji 23mm F1.4 R LM WR

Imagine my joy when Amazon notified me today that my new Fuji XF23mm F1.4 R LM WR had arrived.

Imagine my trepidation when I saw the Amazon-emblazoned white plastic bag on my porch.

Imagine my frustration when opening the plastic bag revealed a dented and disfigured Fuji lens box

Yes, this is going back to Amazon. How sadÖ.SMH. Should have stuck with a real photography store as I normally do.

Jun 07, 2022 at 04:09 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Amazonís unconscionable shipping - Fuji 23mm F1.4 R LM WR

Why not check out the lens...might be fine.

Jun 07, 2022 at 06:31 PM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Amazonís unconscionable shipping - Fuji 23mm F1.4 R LM WR

Someone got lazy in packing. I have ordered lenses from Amazon but only when no one else anywhere had that model. Luckily your lens was likely fully protected by the styrofoam packing material that it came in from the factory even though it's disconcerting to see a damaged box. It's doing its job. Test it out and if it's fine, keep it. I just got a $2K lens from Adorama and I'd have to rate their packing as sketchy, as in not nearly enough bubble wrap, but it all seems good so far.

Jun 07, 2022 at 07:18 PM
steveb
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Amazonís unconscionable shipping - Fuji 23mm F1.4 R LM WR

chez wrote:

I considered this. Key word ďmightĒ. Latent damage to the internals of a delicate lens is not always obvious. It may work fine now but something inside is ready to give at any time due to fatigue resulting from shipping damage. Iím not willing to risk the money and hassle.

And the resale value is reduced because of the bent-up box.

Jun 08, 2022 at 05:47 AM
molson
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Amazonís unconscionable shipping - Fuji 23mm F1.4 R LM WR

chez wrote:

Why reward Amazon's careless and apathetic shipping by accepting it? That only encourages them to treat more packages the same way.

Jun 21, 2022 at 08:51 AM
Sharona
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Amazonís unconscionable shipping - Fuji 23mm F1.4 R LM WR

I'd return it.

Jun 21, 2022 at 12:40 PM
DES-1
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Amazonís unconscionable shipping - Fuji 23mm F1.4 R LM WR

You have nothing to lose by opening it and testing it. Double boxing is preferred, and with padding is the gold standard. As long as the lens box has not been deformed to the point of collapse it is likely fine. Now if you are a box collector, that's an issue!

Jun 21, 2022 at 01:11 PM
Sharona
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Amazonís unconscionable shipping - Fuji 23mm F1.4 R LM WR

The way packages get tossed around and being stacked with other packages on top of them, etc. I wouldn't keep it. Respectfully disagree with anyone who says to keep it.

Jun 21, 2022 at 03:31 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Amazonís unconscionable shipping - Fuji 23mm F1.4 R LM WR

I'm of two minds about how to respond to the situation. I've also received stuff (and not just camera stuff) that was poorly packed for shipping and which arrived in badly dinged up boxes. I usually start by making a video of the process of opening the box so that I'll have evidence in case I find that the product is damaged. But so far, in every case, the product deep down inside its (sometimes damaged) product box was fine. So I kept it rather than doing the product return dance.

On the other hand, I think that shipping stuff this way is a shoddy practice and it is important to push back against it as it seems to become more common. And returning the product is one way to let the vendors and shippers know this isn't OK. And in the end, it isn't like the shippers are really saving money ó they'll just charge us whatever it costs anyway.

Jun 21, 2022 at 06:03 PM
Sauseschritt
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Amazonís unconscionable shipping - Fuji 23mm F1.4 R LM WR

I am just amazed that a statement like "uh just try it anyway, its probably fine" got a LIKE.

Even if everything else actually would be fine - a destroyed original package already substantly lowers resale value, as well as willingness of people to buy.

Jun 22, 2022 at 09:02 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

amci4
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Amazonís unconscionable shipping - Fuji 23mm F1.4 R LM WR

Maybe theyíre trying to conserve boxes because theyíre running low.

Jul 07, 2022 at 10:26 AM
amv8
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Amazonís unconscionable shipping - Fuji 23mm F1.4 R LM WR

I sympathize with the OP on this. I recently purchased from Amazon a CV 35mm APO-Lanthar. The manufacturer's box was shipped in an envelope with no padding. The box was dinged up. I did some testing and the lens seems soft, had some CA which I wouldn't expect with this lens (I have another APO-Lanthar to compare it against). So it's going back. What a waste. Amazon wasn't the seller but they fulfilled/shipped the order. I wonder how this gets reconciled between Amazon and the seller?

Jul 08, 2022 at 02:58 PM
Abuttolph
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Amazonís unconscionable shipping - Fuji 23mm F1.4 R LM WR

amv8 wrote:
I sympathize with the OP on this. I recently purchased from Amazon a CV 35mm APO-Lanthar. The manufacturer's box was shipped in an envelope with no padding. The box was dinged up. I did some testing and the lens seems soft, had some CA which I wouldn't expect with this lens (I have another APO-Lanthar to compare it against). So it's going back. What a waste. Amazon wasn't the seller but they fulfilled/shipped the order. I wonder how this gets reconciled between Amazon and the seller?

Amazon's packaging has definitely gotten worse and worse. Your question about how this situation is reconciled between Amazon and the seller is a good one. I would bet that Amazon has things set so that they have the advantage and the seller comes away on the short end of the stick. The sad thing is that the seller pays Amazon to hold their merchandise and to package and ship it, with no control over the quality of the packaging. It does not seem like a good situation to me, although I can imagine that if sellers do enough business, not having to deal with the fulfillment end might be worth the risks involved.

For the OP, I too would return it. You can also ask for a replacement of the same item and see if they do any better at packaging. Doubtful, but you never know.

Jul 08, 2022 at 04:00 PM
FoleyAMG
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Amazonís unconscionable shipping - Fuji 23mm F1.4 R LM WR

Why are you buying photographic equipment from Amazon? Accessories ok, but camera bodies and lenses...not worth the risk...just my two cents...

The alternatives of Adorama, Samy's Camera, B&H, KEH, Kenmore Camera, are much better...there are others as well...

Jul 08, 2022 at 08:03 PM
fotografur
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Amazonís unconscionable shipping - Fuji 23mm F1.4 R LM WR

I had the same experience. I sent the lens back. I would never buy a camera or lens from them again.

Jul 08, 2022 at 08:08 PM
amv8
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Amazonís unconscionable shipping - Fuji 23mm F1.4 R LM WR

FoleyAMG wrote:
Why are you buying photographic equipment from Amazon? Accessories ok, but camera bodies and lenses...not worth the risk...just my two cents...

The alternatives of Adorama, Samy's Camera, B&H, KEH, Kenmore Camera, are much better...there are others as well...

Fair question. In my case, I decided last minute I wanted to try the lens for a trip I was taking. Amazon was the only option that would deliver it to me in time (i.e. order Saturday, get it Monday). Needless to say, the lens didn't go with me.

Jul 09, 2022 at 12:17 AM
ilkka_nissila
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Amazonís unconscionable shipping - Fuji 23mm F1.4 R LM WR

I have received damaged goods from Amazon due to insufficient packaging. Posters with the paper broken, books with bent corners etc. Given these experiences I would never order a lens or camera from them as there appears to be a systematic lack of respect that Amazon appears to have for the condition of the product that the customer receives.

Jul 09, 2022 at 01:28 AM
PJ Muzzy

p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Amazonís unconscionable shipping - Fuji 23mm F1.4 R LM WR

Amazon strikes again! Just received a Fujinon XF50-140 F2.8. The Fujifilm lens box was sent in only a lightweight bag. No additional box, shipping foam or any protection. The box corners were crushed indicating heavy impacts. The lens of course is damaged. The lens cap is rammed into the front of the lens and literally cannot be removed! Just sent the lens back. I remember a while back that Henry Posner of B&H stated that the manufacturerís box is all you need for shippingÖ.

Jul 23, 2022 at 05:18 PM
RoamingScott
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Amazonís unconscionable shipping - Fuji 23mm F1.4 R LM WR

Youíd think people would learn, but apparently not.

Jul 23, 2022 at 10:44 PM
Sharona
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Amazonís unconscionable shipping - Fuji 23mm F1.4 R LM WR

Amazon shoulders blame, but so do the shippers. Boxes and such are just tossed around with no regard for what they might contain.

Edit: I guess Amazon does do shipping now. How can I forget that?

Edited on Jul 25, 2022 at 11:43 AM · View previous versions

Jul 25, 2022 at 08:55 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password