FM Forum Rules
Macro World Resource

FM Forums | Macro World | Join Upload & Sell

Focusing with manual aperture lens

rek101
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Focusing with manual aperture lens

This is probably a silly question, but I use extension tubes that communicate aperture info to my lens. I usually use a flash and apertures around f/8-f/11 (100ISO) to photograph bugs.

While I'm focusing with my mirrorless camera, I see a bright clear image and move in until I get focus and take the photo. If I were to use a manual aperture lens, would I need to open the aperture while I was focusing and then close it down to take the shot? How exactly would I be able to get focus if the lens wasn't wide open (which is what is happening now automatically)?

The manual lens I was considering was a Laowa which for the RF mount only comes as manual aperture lens.

Jun 07, 2022 at 09:35 AM
LordV
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Focusing with manual aperture lens

Depending on how good the EVF is- you should still be able to focus with the lens shut down especially if you have focus peaking set up - I do this with sony mirrorless cameras all the time. try using the aperture preview button to shut the lens down and see what the EVF looks like with your current Ext tube/lens system.

Brian V.

Jun 07, 2022 at 10:58 AM
mikeengles
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Focusing with manual aperture lens

I use old OM system macro lenses on a R5 and the EVF is fine, even when the lens is stopped
down to f11, permanently. The R5 has a x6 and x15 magnification as well. Sadly that is not 'sticky', as it reverts to normal after each shot, loosing ones place.
Peaking sort of works, but the AF assist does not.

Jun 07, 2022 at 12:06 PM
rek101
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Focusing with manual aperture lens

Good to know. Almost seems too good to be true....thanks. I know what you mean about magnification not being sticky. I use that all the time on portraits to get the right expression and it reverts to zoomed out. I'd love a way for it to stay there.

Jun 07, 2022 at 12:44 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

mikeengles
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Focusing with manual aperture lens

In one shot, it will AF in x6 and x15, but reverts to normal after the shot.
It would for macro work be very useful to stay in zoom until cancelled.

Jun 07, 2022 at 02:38 PM
e6filmuser
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Focusing with manual aperture lens

LordV wrote:
Depending on how good the EVF is- you should still be able to focus with the lens shut down especially if you have focus peaking set up - I do this with sony mirrorless cameras all the time. try using the aperture preview button to shut the lens down and see what the EVF looks like with your current Ext tube/lens system.

Brian V.

Aperture preview will not work via the button with a manual lens.

Harold

Jun 08, 2022 at 03:03 PM
LordV
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Focusing with manual aperture lens

e6filmuser wrote:
Aperture preview will not work via the button with a manual lens.

Harold

Harold I think his existing system has auto aperture (Auto ext tubes with auto lens).

Brian V.

Jun 08, 2022 at 11:52 PM
e6filmuser
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Focusing with manual aperture lens

LordV wrote:
Harold I think his existing system has auto aperture (Auto ext tubes with auto lens).

Brian V.

Brian,

Thanks for the clarification.

I was responding more to his consideration of the Laowa lens and making a general point. Not one of my many manual lenses can be operated in this way, whether legacy or Laowa.

Harold

Jun 09, 2022 at 12:36 AM

FM Forums | Macro World | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password