New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2022 · Shipping USA to BC, Canada

anthonysemone
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Shipping USA to BC, Canada

I am shipping this https://vo2master.com from Philadelphia PA to Port Moody, BC. It is a highly sophisticated apparatus for measuring exercise parameters. FWIW, no restricted items, e.g., lithium batteries; Its new price is $5300+ in US$. The item I am shipping is USED, roughly worth $3700 or so. I will be using USPS/Canada Post. IIRC, Canada Post has a $1000 limit on "insurance." I would prefer the least expensive method of shipping, so transportation time of 6 to 10 days is not an issue.

Any of you all here who have shipped expensive gear to Canada, or Canada members who have received items from the USA, I'd appreciate your advice. FYI, I will avoid UPS and FedEx like the plague. DHL is quoting me 275$ for two days (I could find no option for longer transit times), but that's more than I want to spend, but will if I have no other alternative.

Thanks in advance for any assistance you might offer, Anthony

Jun 07, 2022 at 08:37 AM
James Farrell
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Shipping USA to BC, Canada

Well, I have an idea that might work if the item you're shipping is to someone who can drive to pick it up. Specifically, if you ship it to a package shipping and handling vendor in Blaine, Washington (USA) which is just across the border from B.C. It's 41km or about 26 miles. The recipient could drive there to pick it up, assuming that person has proper credentials for crossing the border. I suspect it would be a lot cheaper to ship it to a "domestic" destination than across US/CAN borders.

I did this in 2019 when I sold a lens to someone in Vancouver, BC. I shipped it to a package handling place in Blaine - I don't have the name of the place on file. (This place reportedly does a lot of package handling for folks trying to deal with the cross-border shipping difficulties). They held it for the guy I shipped the lens to; he drove to pick it up. Everything work out OK. Now YMMV but just an idea. Otherwise, I have no suggestions since I've never shipped anything out of the USA. >> Jim

Jun 07, 2022 at 09:04 AM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Shipping USA to BC, Canada

anthonysemone wrote:
I am shipping this https://vo2master.com from Philadelphia PA to Port Moody, BC. It is a highly sophisticated apparatus for measuring exercise parameters. FWIW, no restricted items, e.g., lithium batteries; Its new price is $5300+ in US$. The item I am shipping is USED, roughly worth $3700 or so. I will be using USPS/Canada Post. IIRC, Canada Post has a $1000 limit on "insurance." I would prefer the least expensive method of shipping, so transportation time of 6 to 10 days is not an issue.

Any of you all here who have shipped expensive gear to Canada, or Canada members who have
...Show more

Brother Tony...did this exact same thing James suggests! Buyer was in Vancouver. He drove to Blaine to pick up. Saved mega bucks for a delicate piece of eqpt!
S/F!
RD

Jun 07, 2022 at 09:39 AM
chez
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Shipping USA to BC, Canada

James Farrell wrote:
Well, I have an idea that might work if the item you're shipping is to someone who can drive to pick it up. Specifically, if you ship it to a package shipping and handling vendor in Blaine, Washington (USA) which is just across the border from B.C. It's 41km or about 26 miles. The recipient could drive there to pick it up, assuming that person has proper credentials for crossing the border. I suspect it would be a lot cheaper to ship it to a "domestic" destination than across US/CAN borders.

I did this in 2019 when I sold
...Show more

I lived in Vancouver and I'd never drive to Blaine to pick up a package. Drive times depending on time of day and border crossing business would be 2 hours or more plus the price for fuel. It might save you a few bucks in shipping costs...but it would cost me much more than you'd save.

Jun 07, 2022 at 01:35 PM
James Farrell
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Shipping USA to BC, Canada

chez wrote:
I lived in Vancouver and I'd never drive to Blaine to pick up a package. Drive times depending on time of day and border crossing business would be 2 hours or more plus the price for fuel. It might save you a few bucks in shipping costs...but it would cost me much more than you'd save.

I'm not the one shipping something so when you address "you" it ain't me. So, I don't really care. That aside, I suppose if someone picks the wrong time of day to drive I guess they'd have to accept the delay. Whatever.

Jun 07, 2022 at 02:57 PM
anthonysemone
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Shipping USA to BC, Canada

Thanks, James, very helpful information. Found a site straight away on a web search. Wheels are in motion, so to speak. Take care, Anthony

Jun 07, 2022 at 06:12 PM
molson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Shipping USA to BC, Canada

I think a lot of people in the lower mainland of BC use the parcel services in Blaine, but it can be a long and tedious trip depending on where you live and how busy the border crossing is.

Regarding the Canada Post insurance limit, a lot of people don't realize there is no coverage for damage, only for the loss of the package. If you're worried about potential damage, you would have to ship via one of the courier services.

For cross-border shopping, the courier service I've had the best luck with is DHL, but all of the US-based shipping services seem to quote utterly ridiculous shipping costs for sending to Canada these days - often much higher than the value of the item being shipped. At those rates they must be making some huge profits moving these packages... or maybe the cash flow is going to subsidize their domestic services.

Jun 09, 2022 at 08:36 AM
raminolta
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Shipping USA to BC, Canada

I think the most important thing is how good you are at packaging the item safely. Double boxing is the first step but it is in no way the end of packing story. Multiple levels of cushioning (wrapping in bubble wraps, etc. securely taped) to absorb any shock impact is very important. These are important regardless of where you ship.

Jun 30, 2022 at 03:10 PM
anthonysemone
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Shipping USA to BC, Canada

Colleague of mine found a way around the whole issue. I shipped package to a colleague of his via FedEx to a very city in Eastern WA, also very near border, who, because he does many border crossings as part of his occupation, simply took the FedEx package to a FedEx site in CA nearby where his office was located and shipped it from there to BC. Done!.

Jul 01, 2022 at 06:34 AM

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.