1       2       3              6      
       8       end

X-H2 and X-H2s

Frank Scallo
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.7 #1 · p.7 #1 · X-H2 and X-H2s

molson wrote:
I gave in to curiosity and watched his video, and aside from him droning on a lot, his comments were well founded and pretty much spot-on.

Fuji probably should have called this camera the X-H10 to reflect all the stuff they left out to cut costs.

Do you own the X-H2s? I've had it now for a couple weeks. To say the build quality is bad? It's at least as good as the 4. Build quality isn't clickable dials. They may have did that for weather sealing but I obviously don't know for sure. I'd rather them be clickable but is it a deal breaker? no. The BUILD is super solid. Buttons feel great. Screen mechanism is solid. Where's this bad build? Point out what's bad!

For him to say there was no AF improvement is straight up lying. So far in my testing it's at least double the tracking performance of the xt4. Actually, let's say it another way. I would never track with the 4 after realizing it wasn't capable of it consistently. I now have confidence in a fuji body for tracking. Simple. It even tracks my tiny speed demon of a dog with a decent keeper rate; close to what my A7IV is getting.

It's not all roses of course. One thing I'll say is that AF DOES miss occasionally in that odd Fuji way. More so with certain lenses than others. Firmware? Also, the tracking loses the subject when it passes something busy in the background. Even with the sticky option enabled. (Edit - this is tracking my dog. Less so with people so far) It does re-acquire but you'll have misses meanwhile. I need to try creating a custom to add priority to foreground but I really shouldn't have to do that; especially if Fuji wants a good first impression with their new AF.

Edited on Aug 08, 2022 at 11:29 AM · View previous versions

Aug 08, 2022 at 11:15 AM
AZ Photo
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.7 #2 · p.7 #2 · X-H2 and X-H2s

molson wrote:
I gave in to curiosity and watched his video, and aside from him droning on a lot, his comments were well founded and pretty much spot-on.

Fuji probably should have called this camera the X-H10 to reflect all the stuff they left out to cut costs.

I agreed with the comment about combining birds and other animals for subject detection - nothing else.

Aug 08, 2022 at 11:15 AM
liggy
• • •
p.7 #3 · p.7 #3 · X-H2 and X-H2s

I had a chance to play with the XH2S / 150-600 yesterday. The tracking is well beyond my X-H1/X-T2 and my now gone but missed X-T30. Autofocus was quick too. I haven’t shot an X-T4 so cannot make a comparison. Fun that it has more types of subject detection.

The 150-600 is delightful in good light. I love the pearlescent finish and the weight but they really should have finished the lens hood in pearl too.

Build feels solid but not a fan of the controls. Really wish they would have gone with the X-T controls. With PASM the XH2S could be from any other camera company.

An excellent effort but I wouldn’t give up my A1 200-600 for it.

Edited on Aug 08, 2022 at 12:08 PM · View previous versions

Aug 08, 2022 at 11:34 AM
genjy
• •
p.7 #4 · p.7 #4 · X-H2 and X-H2s

The removal of clickable dials is probably for ergonomic and functional reasons. This is mainly an action/sport camera and it could be easy to fumble when fast turnin' if the dials could be pressed in.

Aug 08, 2022 at 11:50 AM
JadedWriter
• • • •
p.7 #5 · p.7 #5 · X-H2 and X-H2s

That man couldn't give me a valid opinion on a chicken sandwich let alone a camera or lens these days.
Sauseschritt wrote:
I have to say I was very surprised by the extremely negative review of Ken "Angry Photographer" Wheeler. He even states that the output of the XH2s is "muddy", compared to the X-T4, the X-T3 or the X-H1. He also complaints about the build quality. He also says that the user interface got much worse, with lacking clickable dials and the loss of the switch for autofocus modes and manual focus at the front.

Aug 08, 2022 at 02:06 PM
RoamingScott
• • • • •
p.7 #6 · p.7 #6 · X-H2 and X-H2s

JadedWriter wrote:
That man couldn't give me a valid opinion on a chicken sandwich let alone a camera or lens these days.

I'd actually take his reviews of fast food more seriously than his cameras

Aug 08, 2022 at 02:11 PM
KURTZ
• •
p.7 #7 · p.7 #7 · X-H2 and X-H2s

Wow, you do go on about nothing.

gdanmitchell wrote:
The little exchange I was involved with earlier in this thread was the last straw for me with that character. I think my point about the GFX 100s not being a "competitor" with the flagship Sony, Canon, Nikon cameras designed for things like photojournalism, sports, and the like made a legitimate point.

To the extent that there is a direct (or near) competition between those cameras and a Fujifilm product, I think that (as someone else suggested earlier) the XH2/XH2s cameras are intended to fulfill that role. They focus on high speed operation, beefier build, fast AF, deep and fast
...Show more

Aug 08, 2022 at 02:43 PM
kenbennett

p.7 #8 · p.7 #8 · X-H2 and X-H2s

liggy wrote:
An excellent effort but I wouldn’t give up my A1 200-600 for it.

Thanks for this. I have an A9 and the 200-600, and still thinking about the X-H2s. (All my other cameras are Fuji, the Sony rig is just for action.) Appreciate your comment.

Aug 08, 2022 at 03:54 PM
RoamingScott
• • • • •
p.7 #9 · p.7 #9 · X-H2 and X-H2s

liggy wrote:
I had a chance to play with the XH2S / 150-600 yesterday. The tracking is well beyond my X-H1/X-T2 and my now gone but missed X-T30. Autofocus was quick too. I haven’t shot an X-T4 so cannot make a comparison. Fun that it has more types of subject detection.

The 150-600 is delightful in good light. I love the pearlescent finish and the weight but they really should have finished the lens hood in pearl too.

Build feels solid but not a fan of the controls. Really wish they would have gone with the X-T controls. With PASM the XH2S
...Show more

The 150-600 looks like the perfect lens to pair with the APS-C sensors. It's far better than the 100-400 in all samples I've seen, and it allows shooters to easily fill the frame and avoid cropping, all while being pretty light and very affordable all told.

The A1 and 200-600 is $8500.

The X-HS2 and 150-600 is $4500, basically half the price. I'd hope you'd be happier with the Sony setup

Aug 08, 2022 at 03:56 PM
liggy
• • •
p.7 #10 · p.7 #10 · X-H2 and X-H2s

RoamingScott wrote:
The 150-600 looks like the perfect lens to pair with the APS-C sensors. It's far better than the 100-400 in all samples I've seen, and it allows shooters to easily fill the frame and avoid cropping, all while being pretty light and very affordable all told.

The A1 and 200-600 is $8500.

The X-HS2 and 150-600 is $4500, basically half the price. I'd hope you'd be happier with the Sony setup

lol... fair point. The problem for me is that Fuji took way too long to come out with a competitive camera / lens in this space.

Price - advantage Fuji (duh ). Weight also +1 to Fuji. Performance - Sony wins but 10 years from now I would be in my '70s and I'm sure I'd appreciate a lighter kit.

The X-H2S made a good showing for sure but it's not an A1 beater.

Edited on Aug 08, 2022 at 04:10 PM · View previous versions

Aug 08, 2022 at 04:04 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

liggy
• • •
p.7 #11 · p.7 #11 · X-H2 and X-H2s

kenbennett wrote:
Thanks for this. I have an A9 and the 200-600, and still thinking about the X-H2s. (All my other cameras are Fuji, the Sony rig is just for action.) Appreciate your comment.

The truth is that if I hadn't experienced the A1/200-600 I would be 100% happy with the performance of the X-H2S 150-600. Particularly when factoring in the weight advantage since I usually just handhold. My friend shooting the X-H2S was using a gimbal.

Edited on Aug 08, 2022 at 05:58 PM · View previous versions

Aug 08, 2022 at 04:06 PM
Jesse Evans
• • • •
p.7 #12 · p.7 #12 · X-H2 and X-H2s

Here's my mini review of the camera:

In summary - I don't like it due to autofocus issues (it just randomly shoots to the background in AF-C even if using a single AF point) and that the files look like a terrible muddy mess in Lightroom compared to every other camera I have. Usually I would post the camera for sale in the B&S boards but due to a defect where the camera won't come out of sleep mode I am sending it back to B&H.

Aug 08, 2022 at 05:49 PM
RoamingScott
• • • • •
p.7 #13 · p.7 #13 · X-H2 and X-H2s

Bummer. Good news is you have plenty of better cameras to fall back to

Jesse Evans wrote:
Here's my mini review of the camera:

In summary - I don't like it due to autofocus issues (it just randomly shoots to the background in AF-C even if using a single AF point) and that the files look like a terrible muddy mess in Lightroom compared to every other camera I have. Usually I would post the camera for sale in the B&S boards but due to a defect where the camera won't come out of sleep mode I am sending it back to B&H.

Aug 08, 2022 at 06:19 PM
Jesse Evans
• • • •
p.7 #14 · p.7 #14 · X-H2 and X-H2s

You’d be proud of me, I’ve sold off all my Sony stuff (well, once I move the 24 GM). 🤣

RoamingScott wrote:
Bummer. Good news is you have plenty of better cameras to fall back to

Aug 08, 2022 at 07:18 PM
morris
• • • • • • •
p.7 #15 · p.7 #15 · X-H2 and X-H2s

I wrote this the other day on DPReview:

I got a late start this morning due to the rain for a fun first time out with my Fuji X-H2s. This camera is super fast and responsive. I used my normal settings:

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1594539/0

and enabled subject tracking: Birds

I quickly realized the easy way to focus is to keep the zone in the center of the frame and as soon as the bird is detected I can recompose and the camera will focus on the bird even if it is outside of the zone. Do not move the zone off the bird till subject tracking takes over. While most of the talk has been about the AF system and FPS for still photographs, the biggest improvements are the marvelous sharp, bright and lag free EVF that has no blackout when you use the electronic shutter. There is effectively an infinite buffer, even when writing to a fast SD card and I was using an old Sony card which was my overflow and the primary was a SanDisk Extreme Pro CFE type B. When a bird is detected focus is usually very crisp and zone works well for a flock and the camera is smart enough to use zone for a flock.

Everything is not wonderful though I'm very happy. Even at 20 FPS, one winds up with a lot more images to cull. The bird AF dose not understand a feeding sandpiper and focuses on it's tail when it's head is down as it's feeding. In fact, about 10% of the time focus was on the tail of sandpipers even when they were upright. I'll be reporting this to Fuji. But wait, there is a much worse bug. The first sign of a problem was the yellow overheat warning after shooting for about 15 minutes at 80f in hazy sunshine. The manual and everyone here indicated that the yellow warning is ok so I continued taking photos and I was not shooting all that much. About 5 minutes later came the red warning and soon after the I'm hot and shutting down message. Now that's frustrating! I switched my camera off and thought about it. I'm shooting with the battery grip and like all other Fuji bodies I set it to Performance. There are two other settings: normal and economy. I switched to normal and waited a bit longer. When I saw a subject I wanted to photograph I turned the camera back on and started to take photos. Yellow warning. Ok, no big deal, it's just the getting warm warning. Then it went red again and I turned the camera off. Waited about 10 minutes and the camera was much cooler. I turned it on and shot as usual without issue. Then I noticed that even when I'm not asking the camera to focus it's tracking birds! What the (not permitted on DPReview)! I'll have a talk with Fuji about this tomorrow.

Enjoy my photos of a Juvenile Northern Mockingbird

Morris

1)

X-H2S    NIKON AF-S NIKKOR 500mm f/5.6E PF ED VR lens    500mm    f/5.6    1/3800s    400 ISO    +0.7 EV  

2)

X-H2S    NIKON AF-S NIKKOR 500mm f/5.6E PF ED VR lens    500mm    f/5.6    1/3800s    400 ISO    +0.7 EV  

3)

Aug 12, 2022 at 10:01 PM
bobh665

p.7 #16 · p.7 #16 · X-H2 and X-H2s

morris wrote:
Everything is not wonderful though I'm very happy. Even at 20 FPS, one winds up with a lot more images to cull. The bird AF dose not understand a feeding sandpiper and focuses on it's tail when it's head is down as it's feeding. In fact, about 10% of the time focus was on the tail of sandpipers even when they were upright. I'll be reporting this to Fuji. But wait, there is a much worse bug. The first sign of a problem was the yellow overheat warning after shooting for about 15 minutes at 80f in hazy sunshine. The
...Show more

The over heating might be something for you to look into. Last weekend I shot close to 4000 images at the powerboat races in 85 - 90 degree sunshine and never got any kind of over heating warning. I was using the 100-400 with no vertical grip @ 20 FPS.

Aug 13, 2022 at 06:21 AM
K_Fitz

p.7 #17 · p.7 #17 · X-H2 and X-H2s

Thanks Morris. Good insights into the new camera and some great shots. I'll be getting my XH2s next Tuesday so I will keep an eye on the overheating issue. Did you have the "Auto Power Off" temp set to "Standard" or "High"? Perhaps setting it to high will give you a bit more room to work with before getting the warning message. Kevin

Aug 13, 2022 at 07:22 AM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.7 #18 · p.7 #18 · X-H2 and X-H2s

morris wrote:
The bird AF dose not understand a feeding sandpiper and focuses on it's tail when it's head is down as it's feeding. In fact, about 10% of the time focus was on the tail of sandpipers even when they were upright.

Morris

Thanks for the report. I'm encouraged by what you write about the speed and apparent low-latency of the camera.

The point I quoted above illustrates, I think, something that is likely to remain true of cameras with high-tech subject identification and selection systems. When they work they are great, but there will likely be situations where their software just isn't as smart as we are. These systems do remarkable things, but the level of "knowledge" required to sort out stuff like whether a bird has its head down while feedings likely to remain beyond the abilities of the software for some time... and instead require the good old "human sensing system" to be fully operational.

One problem, of course, is that when we have the sophisticated software system engaged we get locked into it, and it is hard to disengage it fast enough to defeat its efforts to incorrectly identify the subject. I almost wish there was a "software defeat" button on some of these cameras so that I could simply take over the control myself in these situations.

That heat issue is a bit troubling.

Dan

Aug 13, 2022 at 11:10 AM
AZ Photo
• •
p.7 #19 · p.7 #19 · X-H2 and X-H2s

gdanmitchell wrote:
One problem, of course, is that when we have the sophisticated software system engaged we get locked into it, and it is hard to disengage it fast enough to defeat its efforts to incorrectly identify the subject. I almost wish there was a "software defeat" button on some of these cameras so that I could simply take over the control myself in these situations.

Dan

There is - the function button between the grip and lens (where the finger naturally rests) can be configured to turn off subject detection. It should be fast enough when the bird isn't moving (or not much).

Aug 13, 2022 at 01:46 PM
RoamingScott
• • • • •
p.7 #20 · p.7 #20 · X-H2 and X-H2s

Morris, your 500 PF gives really nice IQ for your BIF shots, better than any Fuji glass I’ve seen!

Aug 13, 2022 at 02:12 PM
       8       end

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

8       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password