• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #1 · p.5 #1 · X-H2 and X-H2s

amci4 wrote:
Think of it like other brands.

Sony has the A7 IV and the A7R IV
Nikon has the Z6 and Z7
Canon has the R5 and R6

The biggest differences in some of these are the size of the sensor.

I'm pretty sure all of those cameras have the same sensor size...

Jul 05, 2022 at 01:04 PM
amci4
• • •
p.5 #2 · p.5 #2 · X-H2 and X-H2s

molson wrote:
I'm pretty sure all of those cameras have the same sensor size...

Obviously I was referring to the resolution of the cameras when I said size. Yes they’re all the same physical dimensions.

Jul 06, 2022 at 07:12 AM
amci4
• • •
p.5 #3 · p.5 #3 · X-H2 and X-H2s

gdanmitchell wrote:
By "size" I think you probably mean "resolution," right? That would be congruent with what Fujifilm may be attempting — two APS-C cameras with one optimized for higher resolution and the other for speed, etc.

The logic makes sense. I still wonder, though, if Fujifilm has a large enough market to support two versions of their new "flagship" camera with different sensors.

On one hand, as long as the rest of the internals are the same and the sensor is the only difference, they can avoid some of the production costs that might come otherwise... and perhaps the sensor option may increase
...Show more

While I agree with you on much of this, I believe their marketshare is about to grow quite a bit.

Why do I say this?

Because that stacked sensor and significantly improved AF speed, has really fixed the biggest issues with shooting Fuji.

What we are seeing when comparing the Fuji X-H2s to other bodies above are…

Canon R6 - Fuji AF is actually proving to have longer reach and higher speed (I would never have guessed that) and resolution are areas where the X-H2s are winning.

Sony A7 IV - Again the X-H2s AF is proving to be better, but now the IBIS is also something that the Sony cannot match, and that doesn’t even factor in poor color from Sony.

Nikon Z6 - while very nice, cannot even match the Sony or Canon here and that means it is largely behind the X-H2s as well.

I think this thing hitting the market with its top of the line -7 EV AF sensitivity and speed, as well as the 7 Stops of IBIS, is going to attract a lot of people who do not want to spend more than $3K for the same features in a Sony, Canon, or Nikon body. I do not believe the 40 MP body will have the same impact.

Personally, I think the Full Frame argument ignores the flaws of the sensor size, like how hard it is to get truly good IBIS, or the slower readout speeds compared to the smaller sensors. The higher incidence of rolling shutter with larger more conventional 35mm sensors. If you’re a landscape photographer or studio photographer, none of this matters, but action it does matter.

Jul 06, 2022 at 07:24 AM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #4 · p.5 #4 · X-H2 and X-H2s

amci4 wrote:
While I agree with you on much of this, I believe their marketshare is about to grow quite a bit.

Why do I say this?

Because that stacked sensor and significantly improved AF speed, has really fixed the biggest issues with shooting Fuji.

What we are seeing when comparing the Fuji X-H2s to other bodies above are…

Canon R6 - Fuji AF is actually proving to have longer reach and higher speed (I would never have guessed that) and resolution are areas where the X-H2s are winning.

Sony A7 IV - Again the X-H2s AF is proving to be better, but now the
...Show more

Thanks for your thoughtful reply. A couple of responses:

I've long held that the smaller APS-C sensor is a fine performer for almost all people buying these kinds of cameras today. I use both APS-C and full frame, and I idon't have any problem producing excellent prints at 20" x 30" from carefully shot and post-processed APS-C images. Very few people are printing at such sizes — if at all — and APS-C is excellent for those other, mostly-online uses.

However, the logic of this may have more limited significance in the market that the XH2 bodies target — arguably the high-end where either the camera's operational speed (sports, photojournalism, wildlife, etc) is the most important, or greatest image quality (landscape, architecture, portraits) is the goal. Basically, the XH2 line targets are market where the realities of the average camera-user are arguably less important.

What Fujifilm provides in the XH2 cameras is likely to appeal to some subset of Fujifilm fans, without a doubt. There has clearly been a desire for Fujifilm APS-C cameras that compete with the AF speed and other performance parameters of the best cameras from the Big Companies. The XH2 line appears to move the ball forward in ways that will make Fujifilm users feel that they are closer to competing with Sony, Canon, and Nikon. (But don't forget that those companies also continue to update and improve and introduce new models that will also advance their own performance.)

Many Fujifilm user will like the idea of increasing the sensor resolution, almost certainly without any loss in other aspects of sensor performance. Other users will welcome better and faster AF, higher burst rates, and so forth. And the two "flavors" of the XH2 (XH2 and XH2s) target those respective users.

All of this is potentially useful for keeping Fujifilm people in the fold.

But I'm skeptical that it is going to draw many additional non-Fujifilm users from the other brands. Folks using those there brands have already bought into them, by and large, and already have invested in systems of lenses and other equipment built around rather expensive cameras. They fall into the same two categories as mentioned above — the high resolution folks and the high performance folks.

Among the high resolution folks, a 40MP APS-C camera is unlikely to draw them away from a full frame system with resolution that is already in the 50+MP range and which is going to go higher in upcoming cameras. The larger systems will have higher system resolution, not just higher MP. We can debate whether or not this is necessary, but when all three of the other brands are increasingly settling on FF for their high MP gear, it is hard to argue against this. (The fact that Fujifilm itself touts the larger and higher MP GFX system for the very same reasons reinforces this — and that's where the folks currently using a FF system who might migrate will likely end up, not on a lower resolution 40MP APS-C system.)

The question of the XH2s, with its higher speed and reported improvements in AF and burst and other factors appealing to that subset of camera buyers might seem to attract some folks from the other brands. But the problem here is that when it comes to encouraging brand-shifters, it isn't enough to be as good as the brands/products already in use or even to be an increment better. Because those photographers already are heavily invested in those other brands — cameras, lenses, etc. — the improvement needs to be quite significant to overcome that "investment inertia." Against the perceived minus of the smaller sensor, the real minus of a smaller line of lenses typically used by such photographers, and the costs of switching... it is hard to imagine that there will be that many folks moving to Fujifilm for the XH2 system.

One thing to look out for would be reviews by folks who are not already Fujifilm-centric, in which THEY (current Canon, Nikon, Sony users) tout these new cameras as being worthy of switching.

I think that the XH2 and XH2s look like well-designed, highly effective cameras, and nothing above should be construed to demean Fujifilm's ability to produce excellent cameras. However, for these other reasons I have concerns that in a year or two we'll be talking about the XH2/XH2s in much the same way we spoke of the XH1 a year or two ago...

One bit of good news: When these features find their way into the successors of the X100v, XPro3, XT4, XE4, etc... they will seem significant enough to current users of those (and and earlier versions of those) cameras to upgrade. I am virtually positive that I'd update from my fine XPro2 to a 40MP XPro4 with better AF and other performance improvements, especially if Fujiflm fixes some of the interface oddities from the XPro3 in the process.

We'll see...

Dan

Jul 06, 2022 at 10:06 AM
molson
• • • • • •
p.5 #5 · p.5 #5 · X-H2 and X-H2s

My X-H2S arrived yesterday, but I decided not to go ahead with the purchase and let it go to the next person in line, so somebody will be happy tomorrow when it's officially available for sale.

I'm hoping one of the next X cameras will go back to the two-way tilting LCD screen for stills photography. After using the X-T4 for a month, I just can't get along with the selfie-screen, and will be looking to trade it in for something with a better screen, like an X-Pro 3 or X-H1.

Jul 06, 2022 at 11:20 AM
amci4
• • •
p.5 #6 · p.5 #6 · X-H2 and X-H2s

molson wrote:
My X-H2S arrived yesterday, but I decided not to go ahead with the purchase and let it go to the next person in line, so somebody will be happy tomorrow when it's officially available for sale.

I'm hoping one of the next X cameras will go back to the two-way tilting LCD screen for stills photography. After using the X-T4 for a month, I just can't get along with the selfie-screen, and will be looking to trade it in for something with a better screen, like an X-Pro 3 or X-H1.

What reseller and why did you pass on it? Was it just the screen? I’m not a fan of the PSAM, but the AF has me wanting this camera.

Jul 06, 2022 at 03:58 PM
Betacamman
• • •
p.5 #7 · p.5 #7 · X-H2 and X-H2s

New firmware is out https://fujifilm-x.com/global/support/download/firmware/cameras/x-h2s/

Revised specification from Ver.1.00 to Ver.1.01

The firmware bug has been fixed, which caused the firmware hung-up when the following three conditions coincide.
•“ON” or “ON HDMI ONLY” is selected at the “HIGH SPEED REC” menu.
•”360Mbps” or “720Mbps” is selected in the “MEDIA REC SETTING” menu.
•”Blackmagic” or “ATMOS” is selected in the “RAW OUTPUT SETTING” menu.
The firmware bug has been fixed, which caused that the shutter remains closed after taking a picture when using the “E-FRONT CURTAIN SHUTTER” with the slow shutter speed more than 2 minutes.

Jul 07, 2022 at 05:15 AM
mrdan86
• •
p.5 #8 · p.5 #8 · X-H2 and X-H2s

I got my X-H2S in the mail this morning. Haven't had a chance to shoot much with it but the AF subject acquisition is up there with Canon R6 and Sony A7IV. The box is very sticky. As to accuracy, I'm not quite sure yet. I shot my dog running at 10 FPS with the 50-140mm and there were more than a few missed shots but I was not in boost mode. On my other cameras I just keep it in boost mode all the time which is why I forgot.

Other random thoughts:
- I miss the clickable dials especially during image review.
- I prefer the old focus joystick to the new GFX-style one. The new one is mushier and not as easy to place accurately even if it does feel a little nicer on the thumb.
- I have to assign two buttons for subject tracking, one to toggle animal eye detect and one to toggle human eye detect. There's no way to put them on the same button.
- I haven't found a way to map ISO to a dial without having to select the ISO menu first. This is similar to other manufacturers but something I really loved about Fuji. Manual mode, aperture on the ring, shutter speed on the back dial, ISO on the front dial is how I shoot my X-T4 and X100V. Honestly I should probably learn to just pick an ISO and stick with it or use Auto ISO but that's not how I'm accustomed to shooting with Fuji cameras.
- The power switch is stiff, much stiffer than any other camera I have used. I usually turn my camera off and on with each shoot and it's just a little annoying with the stiffness of the switch.
- Delay when shooting with Clarity changed from 0 is still there, though it seems a bit faster.

Overall, if you have been wanting a Fuji with an AF upgrade this is the camera for you, but the ergonomics are different in a number of ways from the other Fujifilm cameras, beyond just the PASM change. It will take some time to get used to. I can't wait to see what the X-T5 brings!

Happy to answer any other questions people have.

Jul 07, 2022 at 05:07 PM
RoamingScott
• • • • •
p.5 #9 · p.5 #9 · X-H2 and X-H2s

As has been said many times, the AF box in the EVF doesn’t directly translate to accuracy. Curious to hear how the hit rate is during bursts with a target that is changing distance from you.

Jul 07, 2022 at 07:38 PM
AZ Photo
• •
p.5 #10 · p.5 #10 · X-H2 and X-H2s

mrdan86 wrote:
- I have to assign two buttons for subject tracking, one to toggle animal eye detect and one to toggle human eye detect. There's no way to put them on the same button.

Not only that but you have to menu dive to change the type of subject you are tracking - no function button.

If you are wandering around the countryside you have to decide ahead of time whether the animal you want to photograph has wings - otherwise there is a good chance it's gone by the time you've made the change.

No shortcut to card format either - another menu dive - and you can't even put it in My Menu.

There is another big ergonomic change in the way it remembers which menu item you were using - with the X-H2S it always remembers where you were - even if you turn off the camera. I'm not sure that is a good thing - I'd rather it was predictable (like older X series cameras.

Jul 08, 2022 at 04:59 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

RoamingScott
• • • • •
p.5 #11 · p.5 #11 · X-H2 and X-H2s

The price of the 40mp X-H2 leaking as $2000 is no big shock, and seems to place it in quite the underachieving tier of cameras. Time will tell. Being cheaper than the X-H1 (adjusting for inflation) doesn't bode well.

Jul 08, 2022 at 04:02 PM
amci4
• • •
p.5 #12 · p.5 #12 · X-H2 and X-H2s

Not only that but you have to menu dive to change the type of subject you are tracking - no function button.

If you are wandering around the countryside you have to decide ahead of time whether the animal you want to photograph has wings - otherwise there is a good chance it's gone by the time you've made the change.

No shortcut to card format either - another menu dive - and you can't even put it in My Menu.

There is another big ergonomic change in the way it remembers which menu item you were using - with the X-H2S it always
...Show more

It doesn’t bother me that some of the least used functions aren’t selectable for fn buttons. But I am a little annoyed that this body is so different from the X-T body that many of us came from and they couldn’t be bothered to include a physical manual. Yes I actually do use them.

I do like that turning human eye AF on will turn off Animal Eye AF.

I also like that even the older lenses are good for AF in many situations for video.

Oh and HEIF format is great, but Adobe doesn’t seem to want to support the format. I could see that format replacing jpeg and raw for many people.

Jul 09, 2022 at 05:55 PM
AZ Photo
• •
p.5 #13 · p.5 #13 · X-H2 and X-H2s

amci4 wrote:
But I am a little annoyed that this body is so different from the X-T body that many of us came from and they couldn’t be bothered to include a physical manual. Yes I actually do use them.

I got a manual - its packed away untouched in the original box for that time in the future when the camera gets sold or traded in

amci4 wrote:
It doesn’t bother me that some of the least used functions aren’t selectable for fn buttons.

Doesn't bother me either - but I would use the subject type switch frequently

Jul 10, 2022 at 03:57 AM
curtf

p.5 #14 · p.5 #14 · X-H2 and X-H2s

mrdan86 wrote:
I got my X-H2S in the mail this morning. Haven't had a chance to shoot much with it but the AF subject acquisition is up there with Canon R6 and Sony A7IV. The box is very sticky. As to accuracy, I'm not quite sure yet. I shot my dog running at 10 FPS with the 50-140mm and there were more than a few missed shots but I was not in boost mode. On my other cameras I just keep it in boost mode all the time which is why I forgot.

Other random thoughts:
- I miss the clickable dials especially during
...Show more

Thank you for the comments about a way to map ISO to a dial. I think this is very important for me and probably a show stopper. I shoot wildlife and only use full Manual Mode. I often change shutter speed and ISO between shots and it has to be done fast without any clicking or menu diving. (Today I use X-T3/X-T4).

But maybe you now have found a solution?

Jul 10, 2022 at 05:12 AM
Delta Golf

p.5 #15 · p.5 #15 · X-H2 and X-H2s

AZ Photo wrote:

Manual page 244

Delete + Down selector.

Jul 10, 2022 at 06:13 AM
amci4
• • •
p.5 #16 · p.5 #16 · X-H2 and X-H2s

AZ Photo wrote:
I got a manual - its packed away untouched in the original box for that time in the future when the camera gets sold or traded in

Doesn't bother me either - but I would use the subject type switch frequently

Yeah I know it is ironic, you have a manual in the UK and don’t want it, I couldn’t get one and do want it. 🤦‍♂️

Jul 10, 2022 at 08:14 AM
bobby350z
• • • •
p.5 #17 · p.5 #17 · X-H2 and X-H2s

mrdan86 wrote:
- I prefer the old focus joystick to the new GFX-style one. The new one is mushier and not as easy to place accurately even if it does feel a little nicer on the thumb.

I thought the XH2 had newer joystick, an upgrade to the one on the GFX100s.

I don't know XT but on GFX50s, I could assign Fn button to switch left/right eye and on/off. This was removed on GFX100s. Bad move by Fuji. Some of these can be improved by FW but we aren't getting the FW updates like we used to get way back.

Jul 10, 2022 at 08:56 AM
bobby350z
• • • •
p.5 #18 · p.5 #18 · X-H2 and X-H2s

curtf wrote:
Thank you for the comments about a way to map ISO to a dial. I think this is very important for me and probably a show stopper. I shoot wildlife and only use full Manual Mode. I often change shutter speed and ISO between shots and it has to be done fast without any clicking or menu diving. (Today I use X-T3/X-T4).

But maybe you now have found a solution?

If it is like GFX then front dial will let you change ISO. You click to select either Aperture or ISO and then rotate to change it.

Jul 10, 2022 at 08:59 AM
AZ Photo
• •
p.5 #19 · p.5 #19 · X-H2 and X-H2s

Delta Golf wrote:
Manual page 244

Delete + Down selector.

Thanks a lot - maybe I've missed a quick way to switch animal types in subject detection as well - hopefully

Jul 10, 2022 at 09:54 AM
molson
• • • • • •
p.5 #20 · p.5 #20 · X-H2 and X-H2s

bobby350z wrote:
If it is like GFX then front dial will let you change ISO. You click to select either Aperture or ISO and then rotate to change it.

No clickable dials on the X-H2S...

Jul 10, 2022 at 10:26 AM
1       2       3       4      
       6       7       end

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3       4      
       6       7       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password