FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3              7       8       end

X-H2 and X-H2s

molson
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · X-H2 and X-H2s

mdude85 wrote:
In that case, the 50S would need to be a sub $3k camera, while the 100S would need to be sub $4k, in order to be consistent with your earlier claim that the GFX line directly competes with the higher (but not highest) end offerings from Sony, Canon or Nikon.

The 50S II competes with the Canon R5 and Sony A7R IVa. The 100S competes with the flagship cameras - R3, Z9, and A1.

Jun 08, 2022 at 03:14 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · X-H2 and X-H2s

molson wrote:
The 50S II competes with the Canon R5 and Sony A7R IVa. The 100S competes with the flagship cameras - R3, Z9, and A1.

I don't think the 100s competes with cameras like the A1. They are designed for really different things. If the A1 is ideal for someone's photography, the 100s almost certainly is not... and vice versa.

Jun 08, 2022 at 06:38 PM
molson
• • • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · X-H2 and X-H2s

gdanmitchell wrote:
I don't think the 100s competes with cameras like the A1. They are designed for really different things. If the A1 is ideal for someone's photography, the 100s almost certainly is not... and vice versa.

You have obviously never worked in marketing...

Jun 08, 2022 at 08:15 PM
rbf_
• • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · X-H2 and X-H2s

Some new reviews from FR on the stills & fancy newfangled AF side of things. These seem a lot more in depth and positive than some of the previous previews. Still all pre-production.

" target="_blank">

" target="_blank">

Jun 08, 2022 at 09:18 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · X-H2 and X-H2s

molson wrote:
You have obviously never worked in marketing...

You have obviously never learned what a non sequitur is.

Jun 08, 2022 at 10:28 PM
molson
• • • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · X-H2 and X-H2s

gdanmitchell wrote:
You have obviously never learned what a non sequitur is.

I presume you're referring to your previous statement expressing your profound ignorance of product positioning?

Jun 08, 2022 at 10:43 PM
rbf_
• • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · X-H2 and X-H2s

Must we argue about everything?

Jun 08, 2022 at 10:47 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · X-H2 and X-H2s

molson wrote:
I presume you're referring to your previous statement expressing your profound ignorance of product positioning?

OK, Karen.

Jun 09, 2022 at 08:30 AM
RoamingScott
• • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · X-H2 and X-H2s

rbf_ wrote:

Yes, are you new here?!

Jun 09, 2022 at 09:54 AM
mdude85
• • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · X-H2 and X-H2s

rbf_ wrote:

I had to Hide the member who kept denigrating other people's very valid and informed opinions. It's a good tool if you can't deal with all the self-righteousness floating around here.

Jun 09, 2022 at 03:17 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

RoamingScott
• • • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · X-H2 and X-H2s

The "hitching" I mentioned about Lee's video is obviously when the shutter is finally release in a burst, so inconsequential to actual shooting.

Good keeper rates when the subject is roughly the same distance through the burst, markedly worse when the subject is approaching headon.

Jun 09, 2022 at 03:38 PM
rbf_
• • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · X-H2 and X-H2s

mdude85 wrote:
I had to Hide the member who kept denigrating other people's very valid and informed opinions. It's a good tool if you can't deal with all the self-righteousness floating around here.

I don't feel the need to hide anyone at the moment. It was just a general question about the level of combativity that sometimes arises here.

Jun 09, 2022 at 03:49 PM
mjm6
• • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · X-H2 and X-H2s

mdude85 wrote:

I agree. It's a good idea to maybe bail on a thread or forum when you start seeing enough blocked people that the conversations begin to be dominated by them. I'm not there yet, but it seems to be getting worse in this forum with respect to the SNR of worthwhile posts.

Jun 09, 2022 at 03:52 PM
Sauseschritt
• • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · X-H2 and X-H2s

Overall I find the quality of discussion in this forum to be much or at least substantly or noteably better than most other photography forums.

For example because theres clearly more professionals here than in most other places. People who actually own the big hardware. People who still actually shoot film. Etc.

For example the only place I know that has more traffic about Leica hardware is the actual Leica forums.

Jun 10, 2022 at 01:51 AM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · X-H2 and X-H2s

The little exchange I was involved with earlier in this thread was the last straw for me with that character. I think my point about the GFX 100s not being a "competitor" with the flagship Sony, Canon, Nikon cameras designed for things like photojournalism, sports, and the like made a legitimate point.

To the extent that there is a direct (or near) competition between those cameras and a Fujifilm product, I think that (as someone else suggested earlier) the XH2/XH2s cameras are intended to fulfill that role. They focus on high speed operation, beefier build, fast AF, deep and fast burst, and so on.

(The question of whether or not the XH2-series bodies are ultimately successful in that role is a different one, and it will take time for the answer to emerge.)

As to the question of forum manners, I'll discuss the facts or the relative perceptions of claims with almost anyone. It is a discussion forum, so I expect that folks are here to, um, discuss. I know that not everyone is going to agree, but the ideal is for folks to take on the reasons for the different perspectives.

So, in thi case, the other party could have responded and made the case for the claim that the GFX 100s is a direct competitor with those other cameras. Instead, we got a non-sequitur about marketing, hence my reply about non-sequiturs. After one more of those digressions, I turned that person off and added him to my "hide" list.

Back to the XH2-series bodies, I have a kind of mixed view at this point, though I'm also clear that we won't know how this plays out for a while.

On one hand, these cameras look like largely well-thought-out and solid tools, with a variety of useful improvements. They appear to be targeted at a class of users more like those who might otherwise use those flagship full-frame cameras from Canon, Sony, and Nikon. Given that users of those cameras can already, in most cases, do quite well with lower pixel-count sensors, the Fujifilm option should actually work quite well. So, on their own technical merits, it looks like Fujifilm has produced a pair of solid products.

On the other hand, I wonder if Fujifilm itself is in a position to make this succeed. There's a lot behind that question, so I'll just summarize briefly here.

Even an excellent APS-C camera of this type is going to have a hard time building a market beyond current Fujifilm users. I'm not sure that what it offers will be enough to draw the target photographers from those other systems.

There are some lens issues that Fujifilm hasn't currently resolved. Among the users of this type of camera there are a lot of folks who rely on big aperture primes, especially the sports and wildlife photographers. But Fujifilm does not, at this point, have the lenses that hey would want. (There are some that will work in some cases, including the new 150-600, but that only hits a part of this market.)

There's another concern ó I'm betting that there's going to be a certain amount of "cannibalism" within the Fujifilm market, where some percentage of the XH2-series buyers are not buying a future XT5 ó so the market doesn't get bigger, it just is spread among more models.

So, to summarize, my concern is that these apparently well-designed and well-built cameras may have a hard time achieving market success.

We'll see...

Jun 10, 2022 at 11:47 AM
Sharona
• • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · X-H2 and X-H2s

I will be very curious to see real-life use for stills. I don't care about video, but I am potentially looking to consolidate my XT-3 and XH-1 into one camera to rule them all. Since I now have an X100V, I don't think I need three bodies at this point when I still have my Canon 5D3. All of the cameras I have now make wonderful images. And Fuji didn't take my advice on that damn flippy screen, so for now I think I will wait and see how it all shakes out.

Jun 10, 2022 at 11:56 AM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · X-H2 and X-H2s

Sharona wrote:
...I am potentially looking to consolidate my XT-3 and XH-1 into one camera to rule them all...

That's almost exactly the "cannibalism" issue I was writing about. :-)

Dan

Jun 10, 2022 at 12:24 PM
RoamingScott
• • • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · X-H2 and X-H2s

Nice BIF shots here

Jun 10, 2022 at 12:53 PM
Jesse Evans
• • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · X-H2 and X-H2s

gdanmitchell wrote:
That's almost exactly the "cannibalism" issue I was writing about. :-)

Dan

It's pretty profitable cannibalism if Fuji sells a new $2500 camera to replace a users already purchased 3-5 year old cameras 😄

Jun 10, 2022 at 04:56 PM
Jesse Evans
• • • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · X-H2 and X-H2s

Not that it really matters what I think, but I believe Fuji is likely going to be able to make better cameras with what seems to be their new strategy. At least the way the strategy seems to me is that the X-H lineup will be their professional hybrid or action camera for those that want a do everything well option. And the X-T3/4/5 line will be more focused, and not have to give up its soul to meet the needs of hybrid or action shooters.

Fuji realized that there was a need to offer high quality video features in their cameras, and started focusing on them with the X-H1, which seemed to be targeted as a high performance hybrid action / stills camera that would pair well with larger lenses. The problem with the X-H1 is they didnít REALLY cater it to video shooters in some of the key ways that really matter for hybrid shooters.

- It did not really make sense to have the X-H1 have Fujis classic controls. Hybrid shooting benefits a lot more from custom shooting modes.
- It did not really make sense to have a dual axis tilt screen instead of a fully articulating screen. Fully articulating screen is expected these days on high quality video cameras regardless of your opinion on this being a good or bad thing.

IBIS and video autofocus were relatively weak as well, but that is mostly growing pains.

The X-H1 was not a massive success, it was really quickly heavily discounted.

Fuji then tried to make the X-T4 play the jack of all trades. They put a fully articulating screen on it and finally improved the battery. Gave it all the codecs and IBIS.

As a result, I think some X-T line fans were underwhelmed. The dual tilting design is a lot more satisfying for stills shooting than fully articulating screens for most. Again, I think the mixture of classic controls and video centric features didnít particularly mix very well.

So, Iím optimistic Fuji can take advantage of the X-H2s by allowing the X-T5 to be more focused. Go back to a dual tilting design. Make it more focused on experience over features like raw video and high fps shutters, like they were before. Get a beautiful sounding shutter and satisfying tactile response with hopefully the sensor from the upcoming X-H2.

Anyway, thatís how I see it. Just my read on the recent history for Fuji and how the X-H2s will allow them to make some decent moves going forward.

Hereís to hoping they get their video autofocus issues all sorted out and this ends up being the perfect action and video camera 😄

Edited on Jun 10, 2022 at 08:32 PM · View previous versions

Jun 10, 2022 at 08:29 PM

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password