New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Oly OM-1 tracking

Tom Reynolds

Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Oly OM-1 tracking

If I set a small AF area to focus on a specific bird in the frame, have subject detect-bird and tracking on, if the bird leaves the AF area (shutter still 1/2 pressed), will the camera follow and focus on the bird?

Regards,

Tom

Jun 05, 2022 at 04:50 PM
whumber
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Oly OM-1 tracking

In normal zone focus modes it will continue to track the subject as long as the active AF zone contains or intersects the box drawn around the subject. If you go into C-AF+Tr it will continue to track the subject throughout the frame regardless of the active AF zone selected. The downside of C-AF+Tr is if it doesn't see recognize the subject it will default to the generic tracking algorithm which is terrible.

Jun 05, 2022 at 06:34 PM
Tom Reynolds

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Oly OM-1 tracking

Thanks

Jun 05, 2022 at 07:38 PM
RZ350

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Oly OM-1 tracking

When I got my OM-1, I tried the tried and true cross method with bird af. It only picked up the merganser and focused when in the cross. I switched to overall screen af because I learned thru youtube it would not follow. The trouble with the overall screen area af is if there is anything intervening between you and the target is it will outline the bird but not focus on it instead focusing on the branch or whatever is in front. Additionally, if your target is distant, it has difficulty aquiring the target and seems to hang. That box outlining the bird is a false sense of security because it may be lying to you. You have to look at the object within to discern whether it is in focus or not. Once you have learned to set your af parameters per the situation, it does work. But you have to work to learn.

Jun 07, 2022 at 01:38 PM
mitesh
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Oly OM-1 tracking

RZ350 wrote:
The trouble with the overall screen area af is if there is anything intervening between you and the target is it will outline the bird but not focus on it instead focusing on the branch or whatever is in front. Additionally, if your target is distant, it has difficulty aquiring the target and seems to hang. That box outlining the bird is a false sense of security because it may be lying to you. You have to look at the object within to discern whether it is in focus or not. Once you have learned to set your af parameters
...Show more

That's actually not "trouble"; it is the way the AF system is designed to operate. Per OM-1 User Manual, page 91:

When the AF target mode is All, the subject closest to the center of the display is focused on.

Jun 07, 2022 at 02:09 PM
Tom Reynolds

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Oly OM-1 tracking

"When the AF target mode is All, the subject closest to the center of the display is focused on."

Is this true even when subject detect "birds" is engaged with tracking? My reading is that it prefers the center but looks for birds through the frame, then focuses on the center/closest bird.

Tom

Jun 07, 2022 at 02:12 PM
dcisive
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Oly OM-1 tracking

Several articles I've read says if set up to do so, the tracking will indeed favor the central portion of the sensor unless there is of course no movement there and then seeks out movement elsewhere on the sensor. I find that a preferable manner anyway as I'd tend to place the subject near the central portion of the screen anyway giving it the best chance to grab a moving subject of interest

Jun 07, 2022 at 03:35 PM
RZ350

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Oly OM-1 tracking

Why does the AF box encircle the bird, but not af on it? Multiple times I have seen this happen. If it recognizes there is a bird, why not af on it? I recognize that the basest part of af is to focus on the closest object, but we are talking about AI here and why hasn't it been applied to the af of a bird or animal in brush? I have not tried a Canon, but it grabs the eye even though there is intervening material around or in front of it from descriptions of it's behavior. And even though I have nothing in front of the bird, it doesn't grab and focus on the eye. It focuses on the closest part of the bird, be it beak, wing, etc. I still think the af behavior is way better than what I had before and doing BIF astounds me when it grabs the bird, but there is definitely learning involved. Hopefully there is room to improve the algorithm.

Jun 08, 2022 at 11:24 AM
Paul_100A
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Oly OM-1 tracking

RZ350 wrote:
Why does the AF box encircle the bird, but not af on it? Multiple times I have seen this happen. If it recognizes there is a bird, why not af on it? I recognize that the basest part of af is to focus on the closest object, but we are talking about AI here and why hasn't it been applied to the af of a bird or animal in brush? I have not tried a Canon, but it grabs the eye even though there is intervening material around or in front of it from descriptions of it's behavior. And even
...Show more

the "AF box" is not the 'thing' recognizing the bird...the camera's computer is the thing recognizing the bird.

when the EM1X's Bird AI was released there were complaints regarding no means to select which of the 'recognized' birds to AF. the camera defaulted to the bird closest to the camera or center mass.

with the OM-1 one can use an AF target group to direct the camera's AF.
otherwise, when using ALL AF Targets...the camera, again, decides for itself with the same defaults as the EM1X.

so...it makes sense that with an AF Target group selected and placed on any particular part of the frame...anything and everything else (birds) outside of that AF target group, while indeed recognized by the computer, will not be focused on. user has to move the AF Target group where he/she wants it.

both the EM1X and the OM-1's Bird AI is not perfect. this is partly why many user's have Bird AI on a toggle.

Jun 08, 2022 at 11:47 AM
Tom Reynolds

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Oly OM-1 tracking

If I create a small AF group and place it on a bird, will the bird AI typically recognize it? (Tracking On). If not, I guess I need to toggle Bird=off and take the shot the usual way.

Tom

Jun 08, 2022 at 12:40 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

whumber
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Oly OM-1 tracking

Paul_100A wrote:
the "AF box" is not the 'thing' recognizing the bird...the camera's computer is the thing recognizing the bird.

when the EM1X's Bird AI was released there were complaints regarding no means to select which of the 'recognized' birds to AF. the camera defaulted to the bird closest to the camera or center mass.

This is incorrect, the E-M1X selects which detected subject to target based on which subject box is closest to the active AF zone. It's best to use the single small point for subject tracking on the E-M1X.

Jun 08, 2022 at 01:56 PM
Paul_100A
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Oly OM-1 tracking

whumber wrote:
This is incorrect, the E-M1X selects which detected subject to target based on which subject box is closest to the active AF zone. It's best to use the single small point for subject tracking on the E-M1X.

yes and no right...a matter of if/when.
indeed... when I did use use Bird AI/EM1X I always used Bird AI with a single AF target for perched or 5X5 for BIF. I refrained from adding that detail to my response to RZ350 as I doubted it's usefulness vs adding more confusion in this particular situation.
If/When not using a smaller than ALL AF Target (AF zone) group...the camera defaults to center or closer.

there were complaints when EM1X Bird AI was first released regarding being unable to select which bird to AF but not from me as I found out very early how to use the feature/equipment as best as possible.

Edited on Jun 08, 2022 at 03:51 PM · View previous versions

Jun 08, 2022 at 02:23 PM
Paul_100A
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Oly OM-1 tracking

Tom Reynolds wrote:
If I create a small AF group and place it on a bird, will the bird AI typically recognize it? (Tracking On). If not, I guess I need to toggle Bird=off and take the shot the usual way.

Tom

The EM1X and OM-1 camera's computer recognizes birds (and 'boxes' them) aside from any input from the AF system (obviously if the subjects are too severely OoF then the AI will be unable to 'recognize' them).
The EM1X will put the same colored box on all birds in the frame...the OM-1 will do the same BUT will also use one slightly different box on one particular bird in the frame. this lets the OM-1 user know which bird will receive AF priority if/when AF is activated.

in any case...you are on the right track of thinking it's best to have Bird AI on a toggle and use a smaller AF target group. Bird AI is far from perfect. I do use ALL AF Target for BIF though as I find I am usually 'trying' for one bird in the sky at a time.

Jun 08, 2022 at 02:31 PM
RZ350

p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Oly OM-1 tracking

The computer within the OM-1 works very well. Depending on the size of the AF area selected, objects surrounding the desired target may not focus. An OM-1 user must decide what strategy to use to overcome whatever obstacles may hamper focus. Is this any different than any other camera system? The box drawn drawn around a bird by the AI programmed into the OM-1 computer can be fooled (thanks Paul, I didn't know there was a computer in the camera, I thought it was the same as my old OM-1, totally manual.). As I stated before, the OM-1 works well BUT you have to work to learn how to use it for the things that you do like any other camera system. Why do I like the OM-1? Weight, lenses, viewfinder and electronic shutter speed compared to MK2 and it's computational AI. I do find the start up speed slow but not nearly as bad as my Z6.

Jun 11, 2022 at 02:49 PM
dcisive
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Oly OM-1 tracking

A friend of mine who we both got our OM-1's from B&H last week the 2 days they had it in stock, have been daily going through and discovering the amazing adjustments and features that can be explored. He came upon a setting where you can access a C1 setting for the focus sizes and shapes but what ends up being accessed is the ability to alter the number of focus points on the sensor being used in different patterns. it blew our minds. He adjusted it to a particular rectangular shape that used ALL points focus points instead of just some, and is now gettting a 98% hit rate which when used on this same test he only got in the 80-85% rate with a Z9 and R5 he tried out. So indeed you can configure the heck out of this camera and it's focus characteristics to accommodate what your desires are regarding the tracking habits. It is stunning in the end and extremely efficient.

Jun 12, 2022 at 02:39 PM
nma
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Oly OM-1 tracking

dcisive wrote:
A friend of mine who we both got our OM-1's from B&H last week the 2 days they had it in stock, have been daily going through and discovering the amazing adjustments and features that can be explored. He came upon a setting where you can access a C1 setting for the focus sizes and shapes but what ends up being accessed is the ability to alter the number of focus points on the sensor being used in different patterns. it blew our minds. He adjusted it to a particular rectangular shape that used ALL points focus points instead of
...Show more

This little known feature is very interesting. Thank you for bringing it to our attention. Please provide details on how to get started. " He came upon a setting where you can access a C1 setting for the focus sizes and shapes but what ends up being accessed is the ability to alter the number of focus points on the sensor being used in different patterns. it blew our minds." I don't understand what a C1 setting is. I thought that C1 was the first custom mode. In that case, it does not have intrinsic settings, but can optionally records the status of all the settings currently in effect. So, please start by telling how to access the settings for the example you provided above.

Jun 12, 2022 at 03:24 PM
Tom Reynolds

p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Oly OM-1 tracking

Yes, very interesting. Assume I create a 5 x 5 matrix to simulate nikon's GRP focus. What do i do next?

Tom

Jun 12, 2022 at 05:00 PM
dcisive
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Oly OM-1 tracking

By doing the following:
* Go to Page 5 of the "AF" Menu
* Choose the "AF Target Mode"
* Go down that list on the right and place a check mark in the C1 box
* Use the pad on the right of the "D" pad ( I call it that which is on the back surrounding the OK button
* Use your front and back control wheels to set the box size and shape to your desires.
* Then (here's the magic) hit the INFO button.
* It should switch to the "Step" selection
* Here is where you can customize the very focus points used on the sensor, note that it can be completely differently spaced vertical groupings of the sensor points to be used. I prefer #1 which is ALL the points on the sensor so I'm NOT missing anything.
You can hit Menu and you're all done it will stay put.

I've found this to put a turbo on the behavior of the tracking as did my friend who found it greatly increased his keepers. Good luck!

Jun 12, 2022 at 05:41 PM
Tom Reynolds

p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Oly OM-1 tracking

Thanks

Jun 12, 2022 at 06:10 PM

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password