New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2022 · Joe McDonald has his "E" book out for the OM-1 camera

PV Hiker
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Joe McDonald has his "E" book out for the OM-1 camera

Joe McDonald has his "E" book out for the OM-1 camera.

Copied from his Facebook posting.

May 30th. GREAT NEWS!!!!

With trips to Svalbard (for Polar Bears), Galapagos, and Ecuador (mainly Hummingbirds) starting tomorrow I worked like mad to get the OM-1 Menu book completed before I headed out for 7 continuous weeks of non-stop travel. But it is done!
The cover says it all - in this ebook I cover all of the menu items that I use, which are all applicable and useful for wildlife and nature photography. I try not to assume anything, so each menu item has photos of the cameras's LCD monitor that shows, as if I was there showing you the steps in person, what to do and why.

People ask why not do a print book, but the advantage of an ebook is I can include as much as I want, without a limitation of pages that is often imposed, and I can lay the book out as I think it should be done. Anyone who wishes to can print the ebook, if they need a hard copy.

I'm thrilled to get this out in time, because the OM-1 camera is fantastic. At some point, perhaps I'll wax eloquent on all the virtues of using the micro 43 camera, but for now, for those owning or planning to buy this camera, this ebook is all you need to get started and to get great shots.

What I don't cover are PLENTY of menu items that I don't use, and that you probably won't need either. That's the usual problem with guide books on menus -- they cover everything (but perhaps not in detail) and you end up not knowing what you should use and what you can ignore, that is if you even bother reading the whole book.

You can download your copy at;

https://mcdonaldwildlife.e-junkie.com/product/1744070/The-OM-1-Menu3B-What-I-Use-and-Why.-The-Guide-for-Wildlife-and-Nature-Photographers?fbclid=IwAR1_vKYoa-OyS85Hj-5eujiTUVel5-66ZcGdb450kNrAwcnefS1PWzU7z0k

Jun 05, 2022 at 03:08 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Joe McDonald has his "E" book out for the OM-1 camera

I have no idea if that book would be worth buying.

However, I once bought a similar eBook about a popular camera by a well-known photographer. It was almost an exact copy of the free PDF download from the manufacturer. In other words, it was a ripoff.

I have made a couple of eBooks myself and the cost of creating one is next to nothing compared to a paper book. $5 to $10 would be a reasonable price to pay for eBooks, not over $20. IMO

Jun 05, 2022 at 08:38 PM
BidinTime
• •
[X]
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Joe McDonald has his "E" book out for the OM-1 camera

$24.95? Ouch.

I'm going with the free guides, for starters.

Jun 06, 2022 at 04:20 PM
formula4speed
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Joe McDonald has his "E" book out for the OM-1 camera

Imagemaster wrote:
I have no idea if that book would be worth buying.

However, I once bought a similar eBook about a popular camera by a well-known photographer. It was almost an exact copy of the free PDF download from the manufacturer. In other words, it was a ripoff.

I have made a couple of eBooks myself and the cost of creating one is next to nothing compared to a paper book. $5 to $10 would be a reasonable price to pay for eBooks, not over $20. IMO

I imagine the cost is more related to the time spent creating content. I'm a graphic designer by trade, and creating a book is no small task.

I can't speak to the value of this book as I've not read it, nor do I need it, but if it saves someone a couple hours of time learning a new camera $25 doesn't sound too crazy.

Jun 07, 2022 at 11:15 AM
Chuck Eklund
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Joe McDonald has his "E" book out for the OM-1 camera

I did order and I'm using the book. Joe McDonald put some time into creating this project. It is straight forward and easy to follow. For me it is worth the price. I hope he adds to it as time passes.

Jun 08, 2022 at 12:28 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Joe McDonald has his "E" book out for the OM-1 camera

formula4speed wrote:
I imagine the cost is more related to the time spent creating content. I'm a graphic designer by trade, and creating a book is no small task.

I am not a graphic designer and have created a few eBooks and it was no great task. There are plenty of free software options that make creating layouts and adding text very simple.

I can't speak to the value of this book as I've not read it, nor do I need it, but if it saves someone a couple hours of time learning a new camera $25 doesn't sound too crazy.

My point is that it may not be worth $25 if it is just mostly the same info that can be obtained for free off the Web or from OM.

Years ago you got a thick pocket-size book with your new camera. Now you get a few pages and are expected to download a PDF version. Sure, you can then put that on your iPhone or iPad if you think that is convenient. I don't.

When I unboxed my E-M1 MkIII, i thought, "Oh boy a nice thick manual is included". Ha, big joke on me.

A 330 page basic manual, but in 11 different languages. A Whooping 11 pages in English. Pathetic.

FREE YouTube video guides:

https://youtu.be/ANJNjW199UE

https://youtu.be/bB8qb8C-4n0

https://youtu.be/sTt7Abq6mYw

etc., etc.

Jun 08, 2022 at 01:55 PM
galenapass
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Joe McDonald has his "E" book out for the OM-1 camera

Here is a free YT video from a good reviewer:

Jun 08, 2022 at 05:23 PM
FrankA373
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Joe McDonald has his "E" book out for the OM-1 camera

I downloaded the OM-1 manual, printed and put it in a notebook. I don’t like reading online. YouTube is great for short stuff but not so great if you have to go back and find a point made in an hour long video. The problem with the manual is it doesn’t explain why or it’s not logical. It’s merely documentation. Isn’t it funny that we spend thousands on gear but bristle at $25. Value is fickle. If what he put together explains settings logically and how to use them then great, it’s worth it. Cameras these days are loaded with settings. A little help and explanation is worthwhile.

Jun 09, 2022 at 07:54 AM
formula4speed
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Joe McDonald has his "E" book out for the OM-1 camera

I am not a graphic designer and have created a few eBooks and it was no great task. There are plenty of free software options that make creating layouts and adding text very simple.

Good on you, I'm guessing my process is different than yours. I'd just as soon shave my face with a cheese grater as use free online software to do any layout work. I've tried using software for things I thought would be simple and it's always frustrating for me because they lack the tools I'm used to using on a daily basis.

I value content creation, that was really my only point. I'm undecided if the OM-1 would even meet my needs, so I can't speak to the quality of this book. I'm sure reviews will come from others.

There are of course free Youtube videos for just about everything. Different monetization model, Google tracks your personal information instead of taking money. There are also times I prefer a book to videos, and vice versa.

Jun 09, 2022 at 08:56 AM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Joe McDonald has his "E" book out for the OM-1 camera

FrankA373 wrote:
I downloaded the OM-1 manual, printed and put it in a notebook. I don’t like reading online. YouTube is great for short stuff but not so great if you have to go back and find a point made in an hour long video. The problem with the manual is it doesn’t explain why or it’s not logical. It’s merely documentation. Isn’t it funny that we spend thousands on gear but bristle at $25. Value is fickle. If what he put together explains settings logically and how to use them then great, it’s worth it. Cameras these days are loaded with
...Show more

Why should you have to print your own manual in the first place? It should be included with the camera.

JFYI, a well-done YouTube video displays the chapters and info in them at the bottom so you can just go to the chapter you want.

Sure $25 is worth it if it provides what you want.

Once again, it is the camera manufacturers that should be providing ALL the info you require. Olympus did that on their website with the help of Oly Ambassadors. I have no idea what OM is doing in that respect.

Jun 09, 2022 at 10:21 AM
Robin Smith
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Joe McDonald has his "E" book out for the OM-1 camera

The OM-1 PDF manual is good, and I would print it out except it is 350 pages or so, so I consult online. I think these "settings" video, ambassador's PDF downloads, are a good idea. Once you know what Olympus cameras can do, then it is not so difficult to go to the next model, but I think if you are starting new, then the nomenclature, degree of customization, and the mass of capabilities is difficult to grasp, so $25 might well be worth it.

Jun 09, 2022 at 10:36 AM
RZ350

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Joe McDonald has his "E" book out for the OM-1 camera

When I was designing equipment for electrical installations, I had to read the manual for usage and specifications. The equipment would work as it was supposed to. I don't find camera manuals set up in such a way to facilitate the rapid and proper use of the camera. For my Olympus cameras, I found it much easier to resort to YouTube videos, as inane as many of them are. You have to find people who know what they are talking about. In another thread, I was questioning the AF box that the OM-1 throws up around a subject. But to find all of the nuances related to that, requires some heavy slogging in the manual and I originally set it up much like I had set my MK2. I have learned and refined that not from the manual, but from YouTube.

Jun 09, 2022 at 12:08 PM
BidinTime
• •
[X]
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Joe McDonald has his "E" book out for the OM-1 camera

I got a lot of use out of Creative Live workshops, which also provides a settings guide. I recommend it.

I'm happy that the user's manuals are not included. Why waste the paper on something that's quickly outdated? I like forests and that paper has to come from someplace!

I, too, was surprised at the included quick start guide and how many languages were covered.

So far, I'm up to Page 3, charging the battery!

If Joe had a sample I'd check it out. But I didn't see one.

Jun 09, 2022 at 02:35 PM

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.