New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Anyone gone from the G9 to the OM-1?

novalaker

Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Anyone gone from the G9 to the OM-1?

Curious to see if anyone has made this leap. As a wildlife/nature photographer there are some compelling reasons for me to move to the OM-1, namely better AF, slightly better low-light performance, and computational features like Live ND and HHHR. But obviously even if I sold my G9 I would be paying a net of $1300-1500 for the new body, which could go toward a new lens like the 100-400 (currently using the Lumix 100-300).

I'm also considering leaving the system but I don't think I can get myself to do that and give up the size/cost savings of M43. Anyone else face a similar dilemma?

Jun 03, 2022 at 05:47 AM
dcisive
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Anyone gone from the G9 to the OM-1?

I'm in a bit of a different move. I have a full Canon R5 and RF glass setup I enjoy and it's my go to professional kit for my paid work. However today I have an OM-1, 12-40 f2.8 Pro II and PL100-400 lenses coming to try out. I'm anticipating it will be a 2nd camera for when I run around for the most part. But from all indications it is fully capable of professional results. My primary tests will be in low light performance as well as shooting birds and other moving subjects as well. If it passes the test it's staying. If not it's heading back to where it came from. My friend back east got his yesterday and he sent me some files to work with. In basic Jpeg his shots in very low light right up to ISO20000 are amazingly good. Up to ISO6400 presents (after a whack of Topaz Denoise AI) like any ISO100 shot would detail and all. So I'm so far impressed. I'll know more tonight when I do it for myself.

Jun 03, 2022 at 06:54 AM
Be More

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Anyone gone from the G9 to the OM-1?

I was using both an EM1III and G9 prior to the OM1, the G9 had ended up being my BIF and wildlife shooter while the EM1 I used for environmental, landscapes and the computational features. I have since sold the EM1 but am keeping the G9.

The OM1 is definitely a more capable camera than the G9, especially for BIF. Having the computational modes such as hhhr and live ND as well as live composite in the body which now performs so well means the G9 sits mostly on the shelf looking pretty. Though it is still a very capable camera, even for BIF, though challenging at times too.

The OM1 makes life easier and I come away with more hits to select what I really want to keep.

I would suggest nicer glass before the OM1 if BIF is not your main focus. The PL200mm pairs very nicely with the G9, and will wow you more than the OM1. If you later get an OM1 as well, the OM1 and PL200 combo will wow you even more.

Jun 03, 2022 at 09:42 AM
molson
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Anyone gone from the G9 to the OM-1?

I've wanted to add an OM-1 to supplement my G9, but they are just too hard to find. My dealer is receiving 5 OM-1's this month, but still has 33 customer orders waiting to be filled.

Jun 03, 2022 at 10:51 AM
novalaker

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Anyone gone from the G9 to the OM-1?

Be More wrote:
I was using both an EM1III and G9 prior to the OM1, the G9 had ended up being my BIF and wildlife shooter while the EM1 I used for environmental, landscapes and the computational features. I have since sold the EM1 but am keeping the G9.

The OM1 is definitely a more capable camera than the G9, especially for BIF. Having the computational modes such as hhhr and live ND as well as live composite in the body which now performs so well means the G9 sits mostly on the shelf looking pretty. Though it is still a very
...Show more

Thanks for sharing, BIF is not my main focus but I live in a place full of beautiful birds so I'd like to start doing it more. I just find the G9 and 100-300 combo to be lackluster for BIF. On a safari it does okay but still find that eyes are rarely in focus and tracking is difficult. I'm sure a faster focusing lens would help but I'm not sure to what degree. If I got the OM-1 I'd probably want to get the Olympus 100-400 as well, which is another grand. So logically you may be right, grabbing a Leica lens, either the 200, 50-200, or 100-400 may be more worthwhile in the short and long-term.

Jun 03, 2022 at 11:52 AM
Be More

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Anyone gone from the G9 to the OM-1?

I had been using the Oly 40-150mm pro with and without TC's (the 1.4x worked well with it, the 2x really softened the image to much for my liking) and then the Oly 100-400mm. This ended up being my primary lens for birding and wildlife in better lighting conditions as it was much sharper at the longer end. Despite the AF being slower than the Pro lens.

While I was getting good results on both the EM1III and G9 (better results on the G9 surprisingly) I was growing increasingly curious about the primes as I kept being amazed by results others were having with them.

I managed to find a really good deal on a new PL200mm after deciding this was a better choice for me, in part because I knew I wanted to be able to shoot not only birds but other larger animals as well, and that I was going to also be using it in forests and woods with less light. Not one regret, it was like a revelation. While the image quality in the best conditions was not that much better than the best I could achieve with the 100-400 in good light, it was in all other conditions the prime shined. The bright aperture, the speed of the AF, the rock solid stability with the duel IS of the G9 (it was even more stable with just the OIS on the EM1 than the 100-400 with its OIS and IBIS working together) made me fall immediately in love with it. Critically sharp images were much more consistent and images with the 100-400 that would fall apart at higher ISO were still very useable with the 200.

I have also tried the PL100-400 side by side with my Oly 100-400 and I found I prefered the PL100-400, it had more contrast, was just as sharp, if not a little sharper and the OIS was as good as the Oly on both bodies.

I do on occasion miss the zooms for their flexibility, yet I found myself increasingly picking up the prime even in conditions that the zooms would be at their best. Ended up selling both the 40-150 pro and the 100-400.

Just my experience. I would take the 200mm with a G9 over my OM1 if I had to make the choice. Another lens I would consider would be the PL50-200mm. I keep hearing good things about that as well.

Jun 04, 2022 at 07:14 AM
robert_in_ca
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Anyone gone from the G9 to the OM-1?

The OM-1 AF system blows the G9 and the E-M1 Mk3 or 1X out of the water. Itís not even close. Itís subject detect and ability to track BIF with a busy background or in low light is even better than my R3 or friends A1.

I had the PL 200 and itís a fantastic lens. However I sold it as I use my 150-400mm Pro the majority of the time.

Be More wrote:
I had been using the Oly 40-150mm pro with and without TC's (the 1.4x worked well with it, the 2x really softened the image to much for my liking) and then the Oly 100-400mm. This ended up being my primary lens for birding and wildlife in better lighting conditions as it was much sharper at the longer end. Despite the AF being slower than the Pro lens.

While I was getting good results on both the EM1III and G9 (better results on the G9 surprisingly) I was growing increasingly curious about the primes as I kept being amazed by
...Show more

Jun 04, 2022 at 08:43 AM
Be More

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Anyone gone from the G9 to the OM-1?

Yes, the OM1 AF (using subject detection) is far superior to all other MFT offerings, especially BIF. Yet a high quality lens will improve IQ far more. Ideally one would be combining the two, yet if one has to choose between a good piece of glass and a body that right now is brand new and so still at full retail price, still difficult to get in some places, with various reports of issues coming to light. I will recommend the glass. Specifically the MZ300 or PL200 or the PL50-200 which can be had for good deals new sometimes or for decent prices used.

I was just comparing the images from my MZ100-400 and PL200 on the G9 and I am still amazed just how much a high quality lens can improve images. It is just as great as the improvement of the OM1 AF over the rest of the MFT bodies (the G9 really isnt that bad with the latest firmware), even more so in less than ideal conditions.

I want the MZ150-400 and one day maybe it will be mine. I can't justify that kind of expense yet.

Jun 04, 2022 at 10:18 AM
molson
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Anyone gone from the G9 to the OM-1?

novalaker wrote:
I just find the G9 and 100-300 combo to be lackluster for BIF.

The Panasonic 100-300 zoom does not have a very good reputation - I think you would see a noticeable improvement just from getting a better lens.

Jun 04, 2022 at 01:23 PM
novalaker

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Anyone gone from the G9 to the OM-1?

molson wrote:
The Panasonic 100-300 zoom does not have a very good reputation - I think you would see a noticeable improvement just from getting a better lens.

Yes I think so as well. I have decided that if I am going to stay in M43 then I will just get a new lens, one of the Leica 200, 50-200, or 100-400. So now the debate becomes which among those to choose...

Jun 04, 2022 at 03:35 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

robert_in_ca
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Anyone gone from the G9 to the OM-1?

If you can live with a fixed focal length I would recommend the PL 200mm. Itís a wonderful lens that is bright and sharp with fantastic rendering.

novalaker wrote:
Yes I think so as well. I have decided that if I am going to stay in M43 then I will just get a new lens, one of the Leica 200, 50-200, or 100-400. So now the debate becomes which among those to choose...

Jun 04, 2022 at 04:45 PM
molson
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Anyone gone from the G9 to the OM-1?

novalaker wrote:

The 200 is the sharpest, the 50-200 the most portable, and the 100-400 is the most versatile... take your pick.

Jun 04, 2022 at 05:25 PM
novalaker

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Anyone gone from the G9 to the OM-1?

robert_in_ca wrote:
If you can live with a fixed focal length I would recommend the PL 200mm. Itís a wonderful lens that is bright and sharp with fantastic rendering.

I haven't shot with a telephoto prime before so I'm hesitant to put a lot of money into it. I'm sure I could learn to live with it, I would like to try it out though first if I can. Unfortunately I don't live in a place where I can rent lenses.

Jun 05, 2022 at 05:29 AM
robert_in_ca
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Anyone gone from the G9 to the OM-1?

Totally understand as shooting with a telephoto prime take some getting use to as itís not as versatile. In fact I find myself using my zooms the majority of the time. By the way, I am in your home town of Santa Barbara this morningócame up this weekend for a wedding.

novalaker wrote:
I haven't shot with a telephoto prime before so I'm hesitant to put a lot of money into it. I'm sure I could learn to live with it, I would like to try it out though first if I can. Unfortunately I don't live in a place where I can rent lenses.

Jun 05, 2022 at 09:14 AM
novalaker

p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Anyone gone from the G9 to the OM-1?

robert_in_ca wrote:
Totally understand as shooting with a telephoto prime take some getting use to as itís not as versatile. In fact I find myself using my zooms the majority of the time. By the way, I am in your home town of Santa Barbara this morningócame up this weekend for a wedding.

Yes, if I ever get a chance I will rent one to try it out, but we'll see.

Enjoy Santa Barbara! Beautiful spot for a wedding.

Jun 05, 2022 at 10:55 AM
dcisive
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Anyone gone from the G9 to the OM-1?

I'm beginning to be a believer in the OM-1's capabilities as well. I just took delivery on one Friday (B&H had them in stock believe it or not) with the 12-40 f2.8 Pro II lens (man that sucker is sweet!) and tried it out in the room our house bunnies are in. There is only a 60 watt bulb in the ceiling fan in that room so it's poorly lit. My R5 Canon even struggles a tad with that scenario. The OM was planting the focus box and even eye tracking box on them immediately no waiting and stayed right on them no matter where they took off for in the room. I'm mightily impressed. The image taken also revealed plenty of fur details with minimal noise. I think online and in reviews this setup has been VERY underrated, especially with the likes of Dpreview and such.

Jun 05, 2022 at 01:49 PM
robert_in_ca
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Anyone gone from the G9 to the OM-1?

dcisive wrote:
I'm beginning to be a believer in the OM-1's capabilities as well. I just took delivery on one Friday (B&H had them in stock believe it or not) with the 12-40 f2.8 Pro II lens (man that sucker is sweet!) and tried it out in the room our house bunnies are in. There is only a 60 watt bulb in the ceiling fan in that room so it's poorly lit. My R5 Canon even struggles a tad with that scenario. The OM was planting the focus box and even eye tracking box on them immediately no waiting and stayed right
...Show more

Try Topaz which works great. If you take a look at some of my images I've posted in the 150-400mm Pro thread you can see the detail at high ISO.

Jun 05, 2022 at 05:05 PM
molson
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Anyone gone from the G9 to the OM-1?

dcisive wrote:
I think online and in reviews this setup has been VERY underrated, especially with the likes of Dpreview and such.

Amazon (DPReview) doesn't make much money selling OM gear, so they don't try to sell it as hard as they do Sony or Canon or Nikon gear.

Jun 05, 2022 at 06:00 PM
dcisive
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Anyone gone from the G9 to the OM-1?

robert_in_ca wrote:
Try Topaz which works great. If you take a look at some of my images I've posted in the 150-400mm Pro thread you can see the detail at high ISO.

You're a little late to the party Robert. Topaz DeNoise AI and Sharpen AI is like a religion to me. I've been hawking it all over the internet and so many have gotten back to me with how amazed they are and get it. I've been playing with some 25000 ISO shots and they can be made to look like ISO400 but retain their detail. It's giving my R5 a run for it's money.

Jun 05, 2022 at 06:57 PM
molson
• • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Anyone gone from the G9 to the OM-1?

dcisive wrote:
You're a little late to the party Robert. Topaz DeNoise AI and Sharpen AI is like a religion to me. I've been hawking it all over the internet and so many have gotten back to me with how amazed they are and get it. I've been playing with some 25000 ISO shots and they can be made to look like ISO400 but retain their detail. It's giving my R5 a run for it's money.

Has Topaz Denoise AI fixed their masking algorithm? The last version I tried often missed areas of the image and sometimes left small patches of uncorrected noise. I much preferred the DxO approach, where they correct the noise over the entire image.

Jun 06, 2022 at 10:57 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password