New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2022 · Topload/holster bag recommendations

csebasti
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Topload/holster bag recommendations

I have a Lowepro toploader 65 AW that I've been using for 10-15 years. It's been a good bag for use on a chest harness while hiking, but is on it's last leg and I'm looking for a replacement. I was hoping some of you could give me some recommendations and your experience with various similar options.

I'm looking for something to fit a Sony a7IV with 24-70 f/2.8 without being too large. What I'm looking for in the bag is:
- Weather resistant/rain cover
- I like the expandable options so I can put the camera in with lens hood in shooting position
- Room for storing a spare battery, 1 or 2 filters, wireless remote
- compatible with a chest harness or attaching to backpack shoulder straps
- Good fit for my gear without being too bulky

It seems many that I've looked at online don't have much room for storing accessories like filters. That seems odd to me.

I've looked at some Lowepro options, Think Tank digital holster 20, f-stop Navin, Shimoda top loader.

Have any of you used any of those with a similar setup to mine? What are your thoughts on them? What other options are out there that are worth looking at?

Jun 03, 2022 at 01:45 AM
sandycrane
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Topload/holster bag recommendations

If you want another 65 AW you can probably find one on ebay.

Jun 06, 2022 at 07:58 AM
csebasti
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Topload/holster bag recommendations

sandycrane wrote:
If you want another 65 AW you can probably find one on ebay.

That's a good point. I hadn't considered that. It's worth looking in to. Although I really do like the expandable feature on many of the bags now. Having the ability to unzip the expansion and keep the hood in the shooting position sounds great to me. I don't always use (or even carry) a hood. But when I do it always frustrates me to have to flip it around all the time.

I think I'm leaning towards a Think Tank Digital Holster 20.

Jun 06, 2022 at 03:09 PM
scottsoutter
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Topload/holster bag recommendations

Think tank digital holster 20 is pretty excellent. Plus you can extend the lens end (with a zipper) to accommodate a longer telephoto if needed. Rain cover is good too.

Fit is just a little snug for my 5d4 and 24-70 2.8 with the L bracket fully attached (but fine if I pull the side plate off and just use the base plate).

My only complaint (minor!) is that the pad on the shoulder strap is affixed to the strap itself.

Otherwise this thing has been bullet proof.

Jun 08, 2022 at 02:52 PM
Craig Gillette
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Topload/holster bag recommendations

I was looking for a convenient bag for an A7Riv and 28-200 and 17-28. I found the A7Riv was big enough that it was rather tight in some of the "mirror-less" bags and into their smaller dslr sizes. So looking to "dslr" bags may add that added space for some limited accesories.

I ended up with a LowePro 170AW II, bulkier than you're looking for and not belt adaptable.

Jun 08, 2022 at 03:09 PM
csebasti
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Topload/holster bag recommendations

scottsoutter wrote:
Think tank digital holster 20 is pretty excellent. Plus you can extend the lens end (with a zipper) to accommodate a longer telephoto if needed. Rain cover is good too.

Fit is just a little snug for my 5d4 and 24-70 2.8 with the L bracket fully attached (but fine if I pull the side plate off and just use the base plate).

My only complaint (minor!) is that the pad on the shoulder strap is affixed to the strap itself.

Otherwise this thing has been bullet proof.

Thanks for the feedback. Based on your experience with the 5d4 and 24-70 2.8, I would think I should be able to fit my a7IV with L bracket since the a7IV is about 20mm narrower than the 5d4.

The pad on the strap of my current bag is fixed to the strap, so I'm used to that. But I wish it slid...

---------------------------------------------

Craig Gillette wrote:
I was looking for a convenient bag for an A7Riv and 28-200 and 17-28. I found the A7Riv was big enough that it was rather tight in some of the "mirror-less" bags and into their smaller dslr sizes. So looking to "dslr" bags may add that added space for some limited accesories.

I ended up with a LowePro 170AW II, bulkier than you're looking for and not belt adaptable.

What particular bags did you think were too tight with the a7Riv? Per the specs, that is just a hair smaller than the a7iv. So I'd be curious what you tried.

That 170AW II looks like a nice bag. But yes, not exactly what I'm looking for right now.

Jun 09, 2022 at 12:23 AM
Craig Gillette
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Topload/holster bag recommendations

It's been quite a while. Mostly checked what happened to be in stock locally. I was able to find some of the Peak Design, some LowePro, Think Tank, Tenba and Tamrac and some other brands that I didn't recognize all that well. The "big" local photo chain has an ongoing beef with LowePro for some reason so they don't carry it.

"Tight" could just be too small. Fabric bags will mold to the body shape some. They'll give 3 dimensions but if a little wide, then it pulls down the height, etc. I think on the Think Tank Mirrorless Movers 25, for example wouldn't take A7Riv with the 28-200 in place and the 2nd lens in the bag. Yet described as for a 3-4 lens mirror-less kit. Pretty much all the toploader/holster sorts were set up for a body and attached lens and tapered so that a second lens did fit along side, etc.

Jun 09, 2022 at 02:58 AM
jeffbuzz
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Topload/holster bag recommendations

Not sure what's going on with those Lowepro toploaders. The USA site no longer shows them but the global site (https://www.lowepro.com/global/toploader-pro-70-aw-ii-lp36773-pww/) still does. Not sure if they are discontinued or just not advertised in the US now. I replaced mine a couple years ago and they were readily available at all the typical dealers. The Pro 70 AW II and Pro 75 AW II both work with the standard chest harness.

FWIW, I have one of the "ProTactic" holsters and I don't like it. The expandable bottom gets caught on the lenses and it lack any usable side/front pockets. You have to put anything of any thickness in the lid which I don't like.

Kinesis holsters all fit the lowepro chest harnesses. My "small" D380 fits a 24-70.

Jun 10, 2022 at 06:16 PM
tschopp
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Topload/holster bag recommendations

I know the thread is a bit old. I use a think tank digital holster 10. It is just right for a Sony body and 24-70.

Jul 22, 2022 at 10:32 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.