New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Olympus E-M5 II to E-M5 III worth it?

Sr.Cordeiro
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Olympus E-M5 II to E-M5 III worth it?

Hello,

My main system is Fujifilm, but a few years ago I've bought a E-M5 II as a secondary camera for travel and some street. Also to use tele-zooms on some jobs, I hate big lenses heavy lenses and I ove how m43 offers very compact, affordable and high performing zooms.

I like the camera a lot, but the old sensor, slow startup time, and the sub-par video quality makes me often think on trading it for a used E-M5 III.

The new sensor indeed gives much better images for me (tried some RAW samples online), I can work with those files much better regarding noise reduction and AI upscaling. So regarding the IQ it's a sure upgrade for me, but I have other questions that only people who used the new model can give feedback.

So my questions to users who had both models:

1. How better is the start up time of the new model?

2. IBIS is paramount for me, and I just love to use it for night handheld static scenes. Did you notice the mark III IBIS being much better than the II?

3. The AF gives much better performance with Panasonic lenses? I ask because most of my lenses are Panasonic, and I love the 20mm f/1.7. That lens in day light is fine, but with low light the AF struggles.

4. As much as I like the camera, the small size can be a bit uncomfortable with prolonged use. Is the mark III model any better without any sort of add-on (I'll sure buy a grip, but often like to use the camera without it).

5. Is the menu system improved?

Also still deciding if trading it for a E-M5 III or a E-M1 II. I'm aware of the differences between the two, still on the fence regarding size and weight.

Thanks in advance!

Jun 02, 2022 at 02:44 PM
Shooter-44
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Olympus E-M5 II to E-M5 III worth it?

IMHO, the MkIII is superior in every aspect except for tripod mount strength.

Jul 22, 2022 at 08:25 AM
Robin Smith
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Olympus E-M5 II to E-M5 III worth it?

No comments about the EM5 II/III

"That lens in day light is fine, but with low light the AF struggles"

That is a well known issue with that lens and is irrespective of what camera you use it on as far as I can see.

Jul 22, 2022 at 09:34 AM
Sr.Cordeiro
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Olympus E-M5 II to E-M5 III worth it?

Shooter-44 wrote:
IMHO, the MkIII is superior in every aspect except for tripod mount strength.

Yes, I've became aware of that issue.

I did get the E-M5 MkIII, the build quality downgrade came as a bit of a shock to be honest (even already knowing it would be plastic). But getting a leather half-case helped to make the camera feeling a bit more substantial without adding much weight/bulk (and hopefully to help securing the tripod mount too).

Edited on Jul 22, 2022 at 05:40 PM · View previous versions

Jul 22, 2022 at 05:32 PM
Sr.Cordeiro
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Olympus E-M5 II to E-M5 III worth it?

Robin Smith wrote:
No comments about the EM5 II/III

"That lens in day light is fine, but with low light the AF struggles"

That is a well known issue with that lens and is irrespective of what camera you use it on as far as I can see.

Yep, it's a issue of the old motor, even with the E-M5 III it still can struggle a bit (but the hunting is faster than with the MkII).

But I did find that the AF behaves a lot better on Panasonic cameras, namely with the GX8 and the GX85 / GX80 I currently have (traded the GX8 for the smaller camera). It is a lot more reliable and very rarely hunts, even in low light.
I don't hesitate to use the 20mm f/1.7 for night street photography on Panasonic cameras, and while I still could do it with the E-M5 III, I would be more careful.

Jul 22, 2022 at 05:39 PM

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password