New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

I'm Diving In

dcisive
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · I'm Diving In

From a distance I've been watching the progress of the OM-1. I currently use a R5 Canon and RF L glass for my professional work, but wanted to see about a lighter weight setup for the fun stuff (birding, wildlife and the amazing IA stuff on the OM-1). So I noticed last night that the OM-1 kit with the nice 12-40 f2.8 II lens was IN stock at B&H and since I happen to have their card I called this morning and low and behold it was still in stock. I also ordered a Panasonic/Leica 100-400 to try out with it. I'll be charging it up when it arrives tomorrow afternoon and Friday morning I'll trek down to the Snake River and see if I can catch some birds and such to see how it works. I know there is a ton of controversy as to which is the MOST successful way to set it up to properly nail birds in flight. I've watched a couple of Youtubers with their suggested setups so I hope it works out for me as well. I'll keep you posted on my impressions and I actually hope it works out so I can keep it. My expectations are fairly high with that Stacked BSI sensor improvement. Years ago I had a OMD-EM5 along with that Pro 12-40 f2.8 and it impressed me back then but was quite incapable of properly nailing moving subjects. We shall see. I'm certainly not the least bit worried about noise or potential mild lack of sharpness at times as the Topaz DeNoise AI and Sharpen AI literally do create near miracles as I've downloaded a number of shots taken by others and ran it through to find they can come alive in some cases. Here we go

Jun 01, 2022 at 11:26 AM
SpecFoto
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · I'm Diving In

Congrats!

One comment though, you may not be aware that the PL 100-400 lens IS will not work with the OM-1 IBIS. Either the lens IS or body IBIS can be used, but just not together. However if you got the Olympus 100-400 it has lens IS and it does work in conjunction with the IBIS of the OM-1. I use my Olympus 100-400 with my EM1.3 and have photos taken at 1/15 to 1/25 of a second at longer F/L that are very sharp.

Jun 01, 2022 at 01:14 PM
Robin Smith
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · I'm Diving In

And yet the OM1 body only is still on backorder

Jun 01, 2022 at 01:52 PM
dcisive
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · I'm Diving In

Yeah I know it was shocking to see the kit IN stock when I happened by the other day. Works for me as I had NO lenses anyway and a 12-40 f2.8 Pro II would certainly have been ONE of the lenses I'd have gone for anyway. I know all about the Panny image stabilization. Every review I've read however show it is not only the superior image stabilizer system, but is a faster focus system compared to the Olympus 100-400 lens as well as the Panny/Leica have a sharpness edge as well. Hard to pass up with a $400 OFF deal what runs out in few days. There are far too many folks using it on all the Olympus bodies with no issues to pass it up.

Jun 01, 2022 at 04:10 PM
Robin Smith
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · I'm Diving In

Every review I've read however show it is not only the superior image stabilizer system, but is a faster focus system compared to the Olympus 100-400 lens as well as the Panny/Leica have a sharpness edge as well.

Interesting. You must read different reviews to me.

Jun 01, 2022 at 04:59 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

dcisive
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · I'm Diving In

I was reading through the manual tonight, several hundred pages. I am completely overwhelmed and confused. Sure hope when this thing arrives tomorrow after I update the firmware I can figure it out.

Jun 01, 2022 at 09:02 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · I'm Diving In

dcisive wrote:
Every review I've read however show it is not only the superior image stabilizer system, but is a faster focus system compared to the Olympus 100-400 lens as well as the Panny/Leica have a sharpness edge as well.

Balderdash. Plus the Oly will take TC's, the Panny/Leica will not.

E-M1MarkIII    M.100-400mm F5.0-6.3 + MC-14 lens    560mm    f/9.5    1/125s    320 ISO    0.0 EV  

Jun 01, 2022 at 11:22 PM
dcisive
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · I'm Diving In

Well my OM-1 along with the 12-40 f2.8 pro II and PanaLeica 100-400 came today. I've been wringing it out and I'm finding thus far shooting up to ISO12800 is NO problem when processed through the amazing Topaz AI programs. They allow retention of all the detail while banishing the noise. I'll be wringing it out some more before I decide it's a keeper but so far so good. Love the smaller weight body and lenses to be sure. The R5 I have is feeling more like a Cadillac. This could be a lovely addition. The focus system on this thing sure is fast to lock and stick. I'm impressed. Didn't think Canon had any competition in that area to this degree.

Jun 04, 2022 at 12:26 AM
robert_in_ca
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · I'm Diving In

Congrats. For birds I use CAF with large focus point (the whole screen) + Bird recognition on. Donít use tracking - and the camera will acquire BIF or a perched bird against a busy backdrop with zero issues. In fact itís faster than my R3 or my friends A1.

dcisive wrote:
From a distance I've been watching the progress of the OM-1. I currently use a R5 Canon and RF L glass for my professional work, but wanted to see about a lighter weight setup for the fun stuff (birding, wildlife and the amazing IA stuff on the OM-1). So I noticed last night that the OM-1 kit with the nice 12-40 f2.8 II lens was IN stock at B&H and since I happen to have their card I called this morning and low and behold it was still in stock. I also ordered a Panasonic/Leica 100-400 to try out with
...Show more

Jun 04, 2022 at 12:46 AM
dcisive
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · I'm Diving In

It's kind of interesting that the "FULL" mode for focus box would be used as one would think based on other cameras it would be more challenging. But thus far I've found the IA on this OM is exceptional in that even when I go towards my room, we have our 2 house bunnies in, even without touching the shutter button, in the "cat" mode it immediately no waiting places a box around them and no matter how or where they move it's keeping them in the box and when they look at me the small eye box goes over their eye. It's fascinating and highly accurate which is very satisfying. So I can see why some have compared it easily to the likes of a R3.

Jun 04, 2022 at 06:37 PM

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password