New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Male Red-winged Blackbird launching

davidrhorer
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Male Red-winged Blackbird launching

This is a male Red-winged blackbird taking off from a perch at 7:30 a.m. here in south central PA. I was facing the sun when I took this. Would love your thoughts re framing, negative space, if it bothers you that the fingertips or other parts are soft, etc. All CC welcome.

© davidrhorer 2022

Male Red-winged Blackbird

Canon EOS R5    EF500mm f/4L IS II USM lens    500mm    f/5.0    1/2000s    400 ISO    0.0 EV  

Edited on May 31, 2022 at 04:30 PM · View previous versions

May 31, 2022 at 12:53 PM
EverLearning
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Male Red-winged Blackbird launching

David, here are my thoughts:

Lighting: to me this photo lands squarely in between a silhouette and the 'normal' colour photo capturing fine detail, colour and tonality. While there is some detail in the plant and colour in the background, the bird is close to solid black and could be mistaken for a crow. I get the impression that the direction and softness of the light was not optimal. This might be photo that only succeeds with fill flash. It is something I have wanted to experiment with but have not done much with yet.

Composition: I like the negative space to the left but wouldn't mind more on the top; especially given the upward trajectory of the take-off

Composition #2: The action of take-off is appealing but a slight separation of bird and plant would be even more appealing; especially so for where the plant meets the base of the tail feathers.

One thing I like doing when culling my photos of birds is checking my shutter speed and the results. I am surprised at times how even 1/2500 does not fully freeze your 'average' BIF (like a chickadee). Given that you were only at 400 ISO with the R5, taking it to 800 ISO and 1/4000 SS is not taxing the camera (and thus noise) at all and will yield sharper captures.

Don

May 31, 2022 at 03:11 PM
grandmas
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Male Red-winged Blackbird launching

To me the bird is too far away for the image to be about the bird, and the background doesnít offer much interest for the image to be about the background. I think the colors are pretty, but I donít think the colors are enough to carry the image. Visually I also think the image is heavy on the right half. Something on the left for visual balance would help. My two cents, but I might not understand your intent.

May 31, 2022 at 03:41 PM
davidrhorer
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Male Red-winged Blackbird launching

EverLearning wrote:
David, here are my thoughts:

Lighting: to me this photo lands squarely in between a silhouette and the 'normal' colour photo capturing fine detail, colour and tonality. While there is some detail in the plant and colour in the background, the bird is close to solid black and could be mistaken for a crow. I get the impression that the direction and softness of the light was not optimal. This might be photo that only succeeds with fill flash. It is something I have wanted to experiment with but have not done much with yet.

Composition: I like the negative space to
...Show more

Don, wonderful comments. Thanks so much.

May 31, 2022 at 04:05 PM
davidrhorer
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Male Red-winged Blackbird launching

grandmas wrote:
To me the bird is too far away for the image to be about the bird, and the background doesnít offer much interest for the image to be about the background. I think the colors are pretty, but I donít think the colors are enough to carry the image. Visually I also think the image is heavy on the right half. Something on the left for visual balance would help. My two cents, but I might not understand your intent.

Interesting. So maybe a tighter crop would be the way to go. Appreciate your feedback.

May 31, 2022 at 04:08 PM
grandmas
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Male Red-winged Blackbird launching

davidrhorer wrote:
Interesting. So maybe a tighter crop would be the way to go. Appreciate your feedback.

Too far away from the bird and not enough detail showing in the bird for the image to be about the bird. I think it needs a more interesting background. I believe this image is a learning experience and probably not one that can be fixed.

May 31, 2022 at 04:21 PM
davidrhorer
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Male Red-winged Blackbird launching

grandmas wrote:
Too far away from the bird and not enough detail showing in the bird for the image to be about the bird. I think it needs a more interesting background. I believe this image is a learning experience and probably not one that can be fixed.

I might not have made this clear, but the idea here was a silhouette, or partial silhouette. I was basically facing the sun.

May 31, 2022 at 04:28 PM
Camperjim
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Male Red-winged Blackbird launching

I have no issue with the lighting. I do think I would crop a bit tighter removing part or even all of the bottom stalks of the plant. I would also clone out the top of the plant creating a little space between the tail feathers and main stalk.

May 31, 2022 at 06:18 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

grandmas
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Male Red-winged Blackbird launching

Ok, I got you now. Yes, cropping would be what you need, and probably making it darker. I also like Camperjimís idea of cloning out some of the plant between the plant and the bird.

For future images including the sun in the image adds interest to the background.

May 31, 2022 at 07:28 PM
davidrhorer
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Male Red-winged Blackbird launching

Camperjim wrote:
I have no issue with the lighting. I do think I would crop a bit tighter removing part or even all of the bottom stalks of the plant. I would also clone out the top of the plant creating a little space between the tail feathers and main stalk.

---------------------------------------------

grandmas wrote:
Ok, I got you now. Yes, cropping would be what you need, and probably making it darker. I also like Camperjimís idea of cloning out some of the plant between the plant and the bird.

For future images including the sun in the image adds interest to the background.

Thank you both!

May 31, 2022 at 07:46 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Male Red-winged Blackbird launching

Hey David, been a while.

Would be interested to see the raw / sooc version.

May 31, 2022 at 09:01 PM
Shasoc
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Male Red-winged Blackbird launching

David, the image is well taken and I believe you have achieved very good results that clearly shows your intent to show a silhouette of the BBRW taking off.

However, I think that what the image lacks is the "atmosphere", the setting for a silhouette image. The viewer doesn't feel like the subject should be backlit and cannot find the reason for a silhouette subject. IOW the setting and background are not ideal or supporting a silhouette subject IMO.

Socrate

Jun 01, 2022 at 10:42 AM
davidrhorer
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Male Red-winged Blackbird launching

RustyBug wrote:
Hey David, been a while.

Would be interested to see the raw / sooc version.

Yes it has been, Kent. Always good hearing from you. Here's the original file, more or less.

© davidrhorer 2022

Male Red-winged Blackbird

Canon EOS R5    EF500mm f/4L IS II USM lens    500mm    f/5.0    1/2000s    400 ISO    0.0 EV  

Jun 01, 2022 at 03:40 PM
davidrhorer
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Male Red-winged Blackbird launching

Shasoc wrote:
David, the image is well taken and I believe you have achieved very good results that clearly shows your intent to show a silhouette of the BBRW taking off.

However, I think that what the image lacks is the "atmosphere", the setting for a silhouette image. The viewer doesn't feel like the subject should be backlit and cannot find the reason for a silhouette subject. IOW the setting and background are not ideal or supporting a silhouette subject IMO.

Socrate

Helpful as always, Socrate. Thanks.

Jun 01, 2022 at 03:42 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Male Red-winged Blackbird launching

Perhaps a few tweaks to adust the viewer's emotional response?

Jun 01, 2022 at 09:48 PM
davidrhorer
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Male Red-winged Blackbird launching

AuntiPode wrote:
Perhaps a few tweaks to adust the viewer's emotional response?

I like it.

Jun 02, 2022 at 05:32 AM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password