New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2022 · Landscape from Years Ago

Camperjim
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Landscape from Years Ago

I was curious as to how many times I had rolled over the image counter on my Canon 90D (almost twice) and checked some old, archived files. I found this from my T3i.

Keeping with Allen's idea of defending/explained one's work, I like this for the memories but it is also my idea of a classical landscape---layers, an idea of scale due to recognizable objects, crisp in the foreground fading to lower contrast and lower saturation in the background, details to engage the viewer, composed classically by thirds.

I think it also works as a B&W.

May 29, 2022 at 08:43 AM
EverLearning
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Landscape from Years Ago

Very nice Jim. I really like the composition and the tonal contrasts created by the beautiful side lighting. I am torn between the colour and B&W versions.

Two things in assessing the photo:

1) an observation. It amazes me how important that patch of light-toned sand is in the bottom left. So small and yet it nicely counterbalances all the shadowed areas on the left. The image would be nowhere near as strong without it.

2) I find the sky works in the BW but feel that it is a bit of an issue in the colour photo. Simply by scrolling my screen, I was able to "cut off" the sky to see how the photo would look without it. I liked it better that way but I struggled to understand why. I am thinking that in colour, there is a harmony of the colours below the sky (warm) but not with the sky (bluish and, more importantly, rather washed out). If you see merit to this observation, you have (at least) two options - crop the sky off or replace it with content from the distant mountain.

Don

May 29, 2022 at 10:26 AM
grandmas
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Landscape from Years Ago

I agree it is a very nice image. It is also peaceful.

I was bothered by the bright sand on the far right so burned it a bit.

I prefer the color.

Edited on Jul 14, 2022 at 11:06 PM · View previous versions

May 29, 2022 at 12:53 PM
Camperjim
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Landscape from Years Ago

EverLearning wrote:
1) an observation. It amazes me how important that patch of light-toned sand is in the bottom left. So small and yet it nicely counterbalances all the shadowed areas on the left. The image would be nowhere near as strong without it.

2) I find the sky works in the BW but feel that it is a bit of an issue in the colour photo.

Don, thanks for looking and some interesting comments.

I certainly agree that the bright area in the lower left adds to the composition. Another more classical composition would be to include a secondary center of interest more left center as shown by the cropped version below.

I let the sky go pale thinking it helped with the mood of the distant haze and blowing sand. I have posted another color version you might prefer.

May 29, 2022 at 01:47 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Landscape from Years Ago

Nice.

Camperjim wrote:
I let the sky go pale thinking it helped with the mood of the distant haze and blowing sand.

I think this is in line with the concept of "defensible" ... as you are describing your intent to convey the essence of the presence in the scene. To which a viewer or critique might acknowledge the intent, and thus reconsider the effectiveness of your (now known) intent.

That said, I like the last one.

The graphical tonal contrasts are obvious, but the last one also has the hue contrast between the warm sand and the cool sky.

The overall contrast level is moderate, giving a more relaxed vibe, but the dual contrast (tonal & hue) gives it power ... a soft power (imo).

May 29, 2022 at 11:26 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Landscape from Years Ago

I like it better in color.

May 30, 2022 at 01:37 AM
Camperjim
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Landscape from Years Ago

RustyBug wrote:
Nice.

I think this is in line with the concept of "defensible" ... as you are describing your intent to convey the essence of the presence in the scene. ......

I think I agreed with Don and you that the sky appeared too washed out. In addition the haze/blowing sand in front of the distant mountains also seemed a bit washed out and bland. I added a touch of pink in the distant haze and a touch of blue in the sky. I think Don's suggestions helped and perhaps I should add even more color. I also think Grandmas is correct that the bright area on the lower right is distracting.

I have no issue with discussing the possible variations. But as your comment points out that can be easily misinterpreted and can be seen as defensive/argumentative. I am not sure what the correct approach should be to getting the most out of critiques. There is a fine line between discussion and arguments. What I have seen work and what Allen has mentioned seem similar. In person critique groups work best with a skilled moderator. They are few and far between and I doubt that would ever work online.

In the absence of perfection, I do find this forum often works well. We have participants who speak their minds and do so typically without causing strife. I wish Allen and others would participate more frequently. There are too many long dry spells with little input or participation on the forum.

May 30, 2022 at 06:31 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Landscape from Years Ago

Camperjim wrote:
I think I agreed with Don and you that the sky appeared too washed out. In addition the haze/blowing sand in front of the distant mountains also seemed a bit washed out and bland. I added a touch of pink in the distant haze and a touch of blue in the sky. I think Don's suggestions helped and perhaps I should add even more color. I also think Grandmas is correct that the bright area on the lower right is distracting.

I have no issue with discussing the possible variations. But as your comment points out that can be easily misinterpreted
...Show more

Cyber comms can be a tough gig ... but, when your spirit is in the right place of helping one another ... I think that can cover a lot of shortcomings.

Even if it might come across a bit askew at first, I think that most participants here are genuinely wanting to be helpful toward our fellow members. We each come from a different side of the Rubic's Cube sometimes, but when we keep our eye to the whole of the sum vs. the individual parts, the Blind Men and the Elephant can actually produce a pretty good rendering ... just has to be looked at from appropriate perspectives.

Sometimes, that means we have to walk around to look at things from the other side, above or below, front or back from where our current perspective might be. I reckon most of us like to return to our favorite perspective ... but the exposure to the other sides can be range from subtle or mild expansion ... to transformational.

Of course, you never know the effect it will have ... until you actually take that walk on the other side.

May 30, 2022 at 03:14 PM
lylejk
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Landscape from Years Ago

Nice Dunes, Jim. I do prefer the color version, but the b/w is nice as well.

Jun 05, 2022 at 12:32 AM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.