Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              9      
       11       12       13       end

Archive 2022 · Megadap ETZ21 just announced: will it be a game changer?

Ludvig83
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.10 #1 · p.10 #1 · Megadap ETZ21 just announced: will it be a game changer?

Using wide area animal eye AF with Sony 35mm GM @ f1.4 with Z7.

It nailed the focus, but it does look a little soft only because she has cataracts.

Edited on Oct 11, 2022 at 10:07 PM · View previous versions

Oct 11, 2022 at 10:04 PM
saaketham
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.10 #2 · p.10 #2 · Megadap ETZ21 just announced: will it be a game changer?

Which z body?

Ludvig83 wrote:
Using wide area animal eye AF with Sony 35mm GM @ f1.4

Oct 11, 2022 at 10:05 PM
Ludvig83
• • •
p.10 #3 · p.10 #3 · Megadap ETZ21 just announced: will it be a game changer?

Using wide area animal eye AF with Sony 35mm GM @ f1.4 with Z7.

Oct 11, 2022 at 10:13 PM
AirStream

p.10 #4 · p.10 #4 · Megadap ETZ21 just announced: will it be a game changer?

1bwana1 wrote:
Think video and Sony's industry leading line of cinema lenses. That combo likely makes the Z9 the best hybrid stills and video camera currently available.

Those kinds of lenses are not on Nikon's current road map, but suddenly are instantly available on the Z platform along with all the third party emount cinema lenses.

As a video producer now working with Z9s, Sonys cinema lenses don’t hold much interest for me. The only e-mount lenses that interest me at all are Zeiss Loxias—primarily for their size. I’m much more interested in Sigma Cine, Fuji Cabrio Zooms, Tokina Cine, and Leica Cine lenses. All are available in PL mount. Some in EF as well. I just can’t think of a Sony cine lens I’d call industry leading.

Oct 12, 2022 at 03:07 PM
BlueRidgeHkr

p.10 #5 · p.10 #5 · Megadap ETZ21 just announced: will it be a game changer?

My experience after a full month of using the Megadap ETZ21:

Camera: Nikon Z9

Lens: Tamron 35-150mm 2.0-2.8 for Sony E mount

Adapter Build:

* Very thin but very sturdy
* Tight and secure fit to lens and body
* Being thin, it’s far easier to attach the adapter to the lens first and then attach the pair to the camera body. I leave it attached to the lens – it doesn’t even feel like there’s an adapter present; it looks and feels like part of the original lens. I generally prefer Z glass unless there’s a lens, such as the Tamron 35-150mm 2.0-2.8, that Nikon simply doesn’t offer. Honestly, given the tight fit, I’d prefer to keep the adapter attached and never remove it from the lens. If I had multiple Sony lenses, I might opt to get an adapter for each of them, but the Tamron is the only Sony E-mount lens I own. Maybe the fit isn’t as tight on native Sony lenses as it is on my Tamron 35-150mm 2.0-2.8

Focus: The same as my native Z zoom lenses, of which I own several. I did a lot of testing pushing the lens as far out of focus at all focal lengths.

Sharpness with the Tamron: Truly outstanding. Of course, there’s a reason that Tamron costs nearly two grand and is heavy.

EyeAF speed and accuracy: No different than with my native Z lenses.

IBIS: No issues

Issues: Nothing of any major consequence, but a few to note to be fair and balanced:

* It was a bit difficult to update the firmware; I did update to the latest version. The adapter comes with a USB clip as the adapter is too thin to host a plug-in USB port – so one has to be careful and precise to align the contacts just right. It took several tries. Not a big deal as updating the firmware isn’t a frequent activity but one has to be cautious as I suspect someone here might have fried their adapter if they didn't align the pins correctly nor follow Megadap’s explicit directions on the procedure.

* Since there are two connections (adapter to lens, and then adapter to body), one has to be sure the adapter is contacting both properly. Early on I experienced the camera not recognizing the aperture and AF and the cause was that the adapter’s contacts were not properly aligned. One has to make sure the adapter ‘clicks’ on both. When it did happen, simply turning the camera off, reattaching, and turning the camera back on remedied the problem. This might be due to the tight fit, but I prefer the fit to be tight and secure. Other than happening once or twice very early on, it has not happened again with heavy use. Maybe also with repeated mounting and dismounting, the adapter pins make better contact; it hasn’t reoccurred since.

* I’ve read one reviewer saying their adapter overheated during the firmware update. I’ve not experienced that since I was careful attaching the USB clip and ejecting the USB properly afterward. I’ve had no overheating issue when updating the firmware nor any overheating on the camera, nor have I read any reviews of anyone saying their adapter overheats when attached to the camera. Again, I suspect either a user error or a faulty adapter – not widespread.

* The only significant issue is that the buttons on the Tamron lens are not yet functional. This isn't an issue for me as I don’t use the lens buttons on my Z lenses either, but I suspect a future firmware update might remedy that. That might be a dealbreaker for this particular combo for some, but the 35-150mm 2.0-2.8 outweighs it for me.

There’s nothing equivalent to the Tamron 35-150mm 2-2.8 for event work. It has relegated my wonderful Nikkor Z 24-120 F4 to my backup bag most of the time unless I want something a little lighter. I’ve used the Tamron 35-150 with the Megadap ETZ for several events to date, thousands of images – changing between the Tamron and native Z lenses without any issues. I have no fear of it failing or damaging my Z9 having beat it up pretty well now under production use.

So, yes, I’d say the Megadap ETZ21 is a game-changer for those of us wanting to use Sony lenses - especially unique and stellar glass like the Tamron 35-150mm 2.0-2.8. I can only speak to the adapter with the Tamron and Nikon Z9, but all in all, I’m ecstatic.

Mike

Oct 16, 2022 at 06:35 AM
LarsHP
• •
p.10 #6 · p.10 #6 · Megadap ETZ21 just announced: will it be a game changer?

Kasper6188 wrote:
Sigma 105mm DG DN on Z7II

I really like this adapter so far. (...)

I have that (Macro) lens with my Z7 and Techart TZE-02 adapter. When testing for distortion in Adobe Camera Raw, there is obviously added a wrong profile, exaggerating the mild pincushion distortion to a strong one. I have seen another TZE user with the Sigma 85mm f/1.4 DG DN Art, who has the exact same issue.

It is obviously an Adobe software issue, since the strong pincushion distortion is not seen when opening the NEF file in ViewNX-i or DxO PhotoLab.

If you use Adobe Lightroom or Photoshop, do you also see a marked pincushion distortion with the Sigma 105mm DG DN Macro and ETZ21?

Oct 16, 2022 at 02:50 PM
lukeiam
• • • •
p.10 #7 · p.10 #7 · Megadap ETZ21 just announced: will it be a game changer?

jefonyx wrote:

Some pictures with the Sigma 35 1.2 and Nikon Z6 II. Works like a champ !

Lea :

https://jef-quach.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/06/Lea_f_001.jpg

https://jef-quach.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/06/Lea_f_017.jpg

Louana :

https://jef-quach.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/06/Louana_c_007.jpg

https://jef-quach.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/06/Louana_c_010.jpg

Mailys:

https://jef-quach.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/07/Mailys_C_006.jpg

https://jef-quach.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/07/Mailys_C_008.jpg

Ines:

https://jef-quach.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/07/Ines_D_015.jpg

Alice:

https://jef-quach.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/07/Alice_V_014.jpg

Alexia:

https://jef-quach.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/07/Alexia_B_004.jpg

https://jef-quach.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/07/Alexia_B_005.jpg

Camille:

https://jef-quach.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/07/Camille_lgn_014.jpg

https://jef-quach.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/07/Camille_lgn_019.jpg

https://jef-quach.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/07/Camille_lgn_021.jpg

Great images! Curious, why use the Z body and not the Sony body since it seems you like the Sony glass?

Oct 18, 2022 at 11:55 AM
Thang
• • • • • •
p.10 #8 · p.10 #8 · Megadap ETZ21 just announced: will it be a game changer?

Do you experience vf goes out of focus during zooming when shutter button (w af activation) is half pressed?

This annoys the heck out of me to the point that I would not use the adapter with my zoom lenses (200-600 and 24-105 G)

BlueRidgeHkr wrote:
My experience after a full month of using the Megadap ETZ21:

Camera: Nikon Z9

Lens: Tamron 35-150mm 2.0-2.8 for Sony E mount

Adapter Build:

* Very thin but very sturdy
* Tight and secure fit to lens and body
* Being thin, it’s far easier to attach the adapter to the lens first and then attach the pair to the camera body. I leave it attached to the lens – it doesn’t even feel like there’s an adapter present; it looks and feels like part of the original lens. I generally prefer Z glass unless there’s a lens, such as the Tamron 35-150mm 2.0-2.8, that
...Show more

Oct 18, 2022 at 07:04 PM
jefonyx
• •
p.10 #9 · p.10 #9 · Megadap ETZ21 just announced: will it be a game changer?

lukeiam wrote:
Great images! Curious, why use the Z body and not the Sony body since it seems you like the Sony glass?

Long story short...I am a backscreen handheld shooter, and for that the current Sony equivalent camera range screens are garbage (A7 III and IV). So it's very hard to be accurate with outdoor strobist portrature. When Sony will come with an updated version I will consider it (like A7R IIIa and A7R IVa)

Oct 19, 2022 at 08:19 AM
lukeiam
• • • •
p.10 #10 · p.10 #10 · Megadap ETZ21 just announced: will it be a game changer?

jefonyx wrote:
Long story short...I am a backscreen handheld shooter, and for that the current Sony equivalent camera range screens are garbage (A7 III and IV). So it's very hard to be accurate with outdoor strobist portrature. When Sony will come with an updated version I will consider it (like A7R IIIa and A7R IVa)

Interesting. And that makes sense; I've shot both Sonys and the Z and can definitely agree. I've read the FW is much-improved with eye-tracking on the Z; I haven't even updated that yet lol. But I'm eager to try this adapted with some of the Sony glass and you've inspired me. Seems flawless

Oct 19, 2022 at 08:25 AM
Kasper6188
• • •
p.10 #11 · p.10 #11 · Megadap ETZ21 just announced: will it be a game changer?

Thang wrote:
Do you experience vf goes out of focus during zooming when shutter button (w af activation) is half pressed?

This annoys the heck out of me to the point that I would not use the adapter with my zoom lenses (200-600 and 24-105 G)

Yeah, changing focal length while af is activated treats it like a blocked shot. Hopefully in a firmware update that can be sorted. I mean the adapter does transmit focal length to exif so the body has to know that you are zooming.

Oct 19, 2022 at 08:27 AM
paloika
• •
p.10 #12 · p.10 #12 · Megadap ETZ21 just announced: will it be a game changer?

Did the latest firmware update on the Z9 affected the Megadap ETZ21?

Oct 26, 2022 at 11:49 PM
Bstrom2414

p.10 #13 · p.10 #13 · Megadap ETZ21 just announced: will it be a game changer?

I am experiencing significant battery drain with the new MegaDap - Nikon battery drops to 65% overnight and shows a 2% drain within an hour with a fresh full charge. Is this common or should I return it?

Oct 29, 2022 at 11:14 AM
dannyjeffers
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.10 #14 · p.10 #14 · Megadap ETZ21 just announced: will it be a game changer?

Supposedly this was a known issue that was remedied via ETZ21 firmware a while back. Try to update the adapter and see if it changes anything.

Bstrom2414 wrote:
I am experiencing significant battery drain with the new MegaDap - Nikon battery drops to 65% overnight and shows a 2% drain within an hour with a fresh full charge. Is this common or should I return it?

Oct 29, 2022 at 11:47 AM
paloika
• •
p.10 #15 · p.10 #15 · Megadap ETZ21 just announced: will it be a game changer?

Bstrom2414 wrote:

What camera are you using?

I have the Z6 and I have the same problem as you. Per Megadap the problem have been fixed...but I don't think so. Turn off the camera IBIS when you are done for the day and the problem is solved...at least in my case.

Oct 29, 2022 at 05:11 PM
Bstrom2414

p.10 #16 · p.10 #16 · Megadap ETZ21 just announced: will it be a game changer?

Thank you - I've turned it off and will check in a while.

Oct 30, 2022 at 05:05 PM
jeff_0000

p.10 #17 · p.10 #17 · Megadap ETZ21 just announced: will it be a game changer?

The Sigma 14-24 E mount lens looks very impressive against the native Z 14-24 lens on Z9!

P.S. the OP has got the lens model wrong but the Sigma is certainly the newer mirrorless version.

https://nikonrumors.com/2022/11/05/sigma-14-24mm-f-2-8-dg-hsm-art-lens-f-mount-vs-nikon-nikkor-z-14-24mm-f-2-8-s-lens-z-mount.aspx/#more-175535

Nov 06, 2022 at 10:04 AM
Fpessolano
• •
p.10 #18 · p.10 #18 · Megadap ETZ21 just announced: will it be a game changer?

What happens with the lens profiles in photoshops or other programs ?

Nov 10, 2022 at 02:57 PM
zenofar

p.10 #19 · p.10 #19 · Megadap ETZ21 just announced: will it be a game changer?

PhotosbyKR wrote:
Has anyone tried the Tamron 17-28 with the ETZ21? Seem like a super nice lightweight hiking UWA that also goes to f2.8 for night sky work.

I'd likely only use this one lens on the adapter so once it was on it would just live there. Similar to my 70-200 f4 and the ftz. I am fine with adapted lenses but moving the adapter between lenses is a bit annoying in the field.

I tested 2 different ones on my z7 ii. Both were out of focus at close range (indoors and outdoors in daylight) in over 50% of the shots. The new Sigma 16-28mm f2.8 had 100% hits.

Nov 10, 2022 at 05:39 PM
LarsHP
• •
p.10 #20 · p.10 #20 · Megadap ETZ21 just announced: will it be a game changer?

That's a good question. My impression is that you first of all need to turn off auto distortion correction in the camera menu. When that is done, Adobe software still adds a wrong lens correction (which can't be turned off), but other software will leave the files untouched. This means you "just" have to correct the distortion that the lens has. (With Adobe you may need to correct both the distortion from the lens and the added wrong correction.)

Using zooms while needing proper distortion correction sounds like a nightmare for Adobe users. You would have to make you own correction for each focal length. However, if you convert your raw files in non-Adobe software, getting rid of the embedded distortion correction, you could finish the editing in Lightroom or Photoshop.

Fpessolano wrote:
What happens with the lens profiles in photoshops or other programs ?

Nov 12, 2022 at 02:55 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.