Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
3
       4              12       13       end
  

Archive 2022 · Megadap ETZ21 just announced: will it be a game changer?

  
 
jannw
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Megadap ETZ21 just announced: will it be a game changer?


Hello,
Have you tried one ? I just received today the adapter and it works surpisingly well. I have used with the Sony 200-600 and the Sony 600 f4 in AF-C. It's incredible, very near of the performance of native lenses. Alex Phan made the same fiondings !



Jun 08, 2022 at 01:06 PM
henderson92
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Megadap ETZ21 just announced: will it be a game changer?


I am waiting for my copy now and very interested in it's performance with the Sony 100-400mm / 200-600mm since I use both Sony and Nikon bodies now + was not 100% happy with the Nikon 100-400mm S lens.


Jun 08, 2022 at 04:53 PM
Buckeye2604
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Megadap ETZ21 just announced: will it be a game changer?




henderson92 wrote:
I am waiting for my copy now and very interested in it's performance with the Sony 100-400mm / 200-600mm since I use both Sony and Nikon bodies now + was not 100% happy with the Nikon 100-400mm S lens.

What were your issues with the 100-400S? Iím thinking about replacing the 70-200 with that lens.



Jun 08, 2022 at 07:26 PM
henderson92
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Megadap ETZ21 just announced: will it be a game changer?


Buckeye2604 wrote:
What were your issues with the 100-400S? Iím thinking about replacing the 70-200 with that lens.



I tried 2 x 100-400mm copies and both copies showed a bit of 'fuzziness' when I was shooting 100ft or further subject. when the pixel peeped, it is sharp, yet a bit 'fuzzy' like it needs some sharpening to get it just right.

I suspected atmosphere distortion. So I took about a 2-3week testing period per copy to test them in various weather conditions (20 to 70 degrees F/ 0 to 30mph wind / 20-85% humidity days) and found that it was pretty consistent while my 300mm f4PF with or without 1.4tc did not have any issue. Of course 300mm pf is a prime lens so not really a 1:1 comparison (200-500mm vs 300pf has a similar issue).

However, The 100-400mm's minimum focus distance and overall sharpness were truly great (both on z6 II and z7II) + out of focus area rendering on that lens is almost not so zoom lens like characteristic.

In the end, I just couldn't justify the 100-400mm considering my intended usage (landscape / Wildlife/ birding) or replacing my current combo (AF-P 70-300 + 300 PF) considering the 100-400mm weight+ cost+fuzziness problem that I experienced.

I think @RoamingScott experienced similar issue on his fist 100-400mm copy but his replacement one seems like a good copy.



Jun 08, 2022 at 07:39 PM
Buckeye2604
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Megadap ETZ21 just announced: will it be a game changer?




henderson92 wrote:
I tried 2 x 100-400mm copies and both copies showed a bit of 'fuzziness' when I was shooting 100ft or further subject. when the pixel peeped, it is sharp, yet a bit 'fuzzy' like it needs some sharpening to get it just right.

I suspected atmosphere distortion. So I took about a 2-3week testing period per copy to test them in various weather conditions (20 to 70 degrees F/ 0 to 30mph wind / 20-85% humidity days) and found that it was pretty consistent while my 300mm f4PF with or without 1.4tc did not have any issue. Of course 300mm pf
...Show more
This guy has the same complaint:
https://youtu.be/bMX_PlRNO8c
Review samples Iíve seen appeared sharp at distances. Guess Iíll test it out myself.



Jun 08, 2022 at 09:00 PM
RoamingScott
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Megadap ETZ21 just announced: will it be a game changer?


Buckeye2604 wrote:
This guy has the same complaint:
https://youtu.be/bMX_PlRNO8c
Review samples Iíve seen appeared sharp at distances. Guess Iíll test it out myself.


Comparing shots between brands that weren't taken at the same time and place is pointless.

I haven't shot too much at the 300-400mm range yet at great distances, so I can't really comment. I can say I haven't been let down yet by the 100-300mm range. Always seems to be pretty crunchy with the detail, although the 24-120 ALWAYS edges it out sharpness wise.

http://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51944817829_ba21ebbec4_6k.jpg



Jun 09, 2022 at 07:07 AM
cvrle59
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Megadap ETZ21 just announced: will it be a game changer?


Judging by the comments in that video section, I would be hesitant to trust every word that guy said in it.
There was so many variables there, from not turning VR off on the tripod, not choosing right parameters for noise reduction and sharpness,
then probably the most critical thing, taking images of different subjects by different equipment in different times.
I'm not saying 100-400s is perfect lens by any means, but his claims are questionable.
One image he showed in the video saying it was taken with 100-400s, was actually taken by 24-120mm., wtf..
Or, he is showing image taken by Sony 100-400 pointing to the mountain pick under strong sunlight, yes for sure that pick will be much sharper having much better light than the rest of the frame.
I almost returned my fantastic 100-400s because I was shooting in extremely cold days from my patio door, until it pooped to my mind what Steve Perry experienced shooting from his car in winter day.
We can create some bad impressions doing wrong tests, that's all I wanted to say.



Jun 09, 2022 at 07:29 AM
akul
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Megadap ETZ21 just announced: will it be a game changer?


So far, I am not seeing meaningful difference between 100-400s vs 300/4PF at 300mm with same aperture for medium distance (300- 500') landscape shots at all in terms of image quality with Z6. Weight is a completely different story altogether.

Luka



Jun 09, 2022 at 07:53 AM
Alex Phan
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Megadap ETZ21 just announced: will it be a game changer?


I'm impressed with the performance on 400/600GM.

Subject acquisition is 90% to native Z lens. All focus area works. Eye AF works. The team at megadap pull it off this time.



Jun 09, 2022 at 01:59 PM
henderson92
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Megadap ETZ21 just announced: will it be a game changer?


henderson92 wrote:
I am waiting for my copy now and very interested in it's performance with the Sony 100-400mm / 200-600mm since I use both Sony and Nikon bodies now + was not 100% happy with the Nikon 100-400mm S lens.



Just got my ETZ21 and tested on my z7II. It works great and noticeable faster + confident AF acquisition over the Version 1 ETZ II adapter (especially the Samyang 35mm 2.8).

Sony 50mm 1.2 GM - works but just not as well as the others when its set to f/1.2 which is not that surprising.
Samyang 35mm 2.8 - Didn't work that well with AF on Ver 1(dark condition) but it works much better on ETZ21
Samyang 14mm 2.8 - Worked very well before, even better now with pint point AF(will be useful shooting some landscapes)
Tamron 70-180mm 2.8 - Worked very well before, even better now with confident AF acquisition.

Few more lenses tested by colleague
Sony Zeiss 55mm 1.8 - Very fast AF and almost 'native' level experience
Sony 85mm 1.4 GM - Fast AF but still bit hunting if moving close to infinity or opposite way.
Sony 16-35mm 2.8 GM - Very fast and accurate AF over TZE adapter.
Sony 20mm 1.8 - Very smooth even with TZE adapter and even faster now



Jun 09, 2022 at 02:56 PM
Alex Phan
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · Megadap ETZ21 just announced: will it be a game changer?


here is the evf tracking live with Z9 + Sony 600GM

https://youtu.be/H6wirkZ9XJc



Jun 09, 2022 at 05:01 PM
Buckeye2604
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · Megadap ETZ21 just announced: will it be a game changer?




RoamingScott wrote:



Comparing shots between brands that weren't taken at the same time and place is pointless.

I haven't shot too much at the 300-400mm range yet at great distances, so I can't really comment. I can say I haven't been let down yet by the 100-300mm range. Always seems to be pretty crunchy with the detail, although the 24-120 ALWAYS edges it out sharpness wise.

http://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51944817829_ba21ebbec4_6k.jpg

Thanks. I have one on order, now the wait.



Jun 09, 2022 at 05:42 PM
henderson92
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · Megadap ETZ21 just announced: will it be a game changer?


RoamingScott wrote:



Comparing shots between brands that weren't taken at the same time and place is pointless.

I haven't shot too much at the 300-400mm range yet at great distances, so I can't really comment. I can say I haven't been let down yet by the 100-300mm range. Always seems to be pretty crunchy with the detail, although the 24-120 ALWAYS edges it out sharpness wise.

http://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51944817829_ba21ebbec4_6k.jpg


-Sorry about this off topic question-
I noticed that you are keeping both the Sony 100-400mm GM & Nikon 100-400mm S lenses. If you have to pick only one out of those two, Which one would you pick and why beside the camera body combo aspect?



Jun 09, 2022 at 06:01 PM
RoamingScott
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · Megadap ETZ21 just announced: will it be a game changer?


I ditched all my Sony gear in January. I think the Z has MUCH better bokeh smoothness and the transitions are more similar to a prime. This is most evident when shooting with dry grass in the background. The Sony will render busy backgrounds with many edges quite harshly vs the Z.

Just 2 quick examples I dug out of Flickr. First shot is Sony, can see especially in the upper right the bokeh gets quite messy at f9.

Second shot, the Z just butters up that background at f10.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49774866026_b0038b1467_4k.jpg


https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52135123913_23d75341a8_b.jpg


henderson92 wrote:
-Sorry about this off topic question-
I noticed that you are keeping both the Sony 100-400mm GM & Nikon 100-400mm S lenses. If you have to pick only one out of those two, Which one would you pick and why beside the camera body combo aspect?




Jun 09, 2022 at 06:51 PM
Pixel Perfect
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · Megadap ETZ21 just announced: will it be a game changer?


Looks like the Megadap is going to be my next lens purchase. Keen to try my 200-600 G on the Z9 and will be finally nice not just have a single native lens (500PF) and do some landscape with the Z9 too.

I would love to see a really good EF-Z adapter so I could use my 500 f/4L IS mk II as well on the Z9.



Jun 09, 2022 at 09:27 PM
rohitkpics
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · Megadap ETZ21 just announced: will it be a game changer?


You already have fringer adapter that works very well from EF to Z, isnít it?

Pixel Perfect wrote:
Looks like the Megadap is going to be my next lens purchase. Keen to try my 200-600 G on the Z9 and will be finally nice not just have a single native lens (500PF) and do some landscape with the Z9 too.

I would love to see a really good EF-Z adapter so I could use my 500 f/4L IS mk II as well on the Z9.




Jun 10, 2022 at 09:12 AM
Thang
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · Megadap ETZ21 just announced: will it be a game changer?


Very impressive as I tried it on your setup yesterday. I dare say itís more responsive and snappier than the sigma mc-11 for canon EF to E body adapter.

Alex Phan wrote:
here is the evf tracking live with Z9 + Sony 600GM

https://youtu.be/H6wirkZ9XJc




Jun 10, 2022 at 02:04 PM
EB-1
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · Megadap ETZ21 just announced: will it be a game changer?


Thang wrote:
Very impressive as I tried it on your setup yesterday. I dare say itís more responsive and snappier than the sigma mc-11 for canon EF to E body adapter.


I sure hope so since neither the MC-11 nor the similar Metastones EF to E adapters were up to par compared to the native 1D series.

EBH



Jun 10, 2022 at 02:13 PM
woodstork
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · Megadap ETZ21 just announced: will it be a game changer?


Those are great suggestions, especially the Sony 14mm/1.8 and Sigma 35mm/1.2 for my interests. After some further research, I am also intrigued by the Sony 24/1.4.

Nikon1960 wrote:
Sigma 35mm f/1.2 maybe 😁

Also the 14mm f/1.8 GM would be awesome for Astro. If I could get the 200-600mm and 600 GM to work that would be awesome.




Jun 11, 2022 at 08:14 PM
RoamingScott
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · Megadap ETZ21 just announced: will it be a game changer?


20/1.8 is great for Astro too. Super light in the bag and very versatile.

http://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51579836923_95f13ba7c1_b.jpg


woodstork wrote:
Those are great suggestions, especially the Sony 14mm/1.8 and Sigma 35mm/1.2 for my interests. After some further research, I am also intrigued by the Sony 24/1.4.





Jun 11, 2022 at 08:18 PM
1       2      
3
       4              12       13       end




FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
3
       4              12       13       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password



This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.