Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3              12       13       end

Archive 2022 · Megadap ETZ21 just announced: will it be a game changer?

PhotosbyKR

Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Megadap ETZ21 just announced: will it be a game changer?

I have been interested in the etz11 and now more interested in the etz21 to be able to use the Tamron 28-75 f2.8 g2 that Sony gets. I don't have the money to just get whatever z lens I want but also don't want to spend the same money for the z 28-75 being a worse optical design to the g2 from Tamron directly. Just want to see more reviews of the etz21 but if it had basically the same performance at the ftz I am pretty much sold on it.

Jun 03, 2022 at 12:21 AM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Megadap ETZ21 just announced: will it be a game changer?

Now can I use my Metabones EF-FE adapter on this metagap and use EF lens on Z mount?

Jun 03, 2022 at 01:22 AM
Sauseschritt
• • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Megadap ETZ21 just announced: will it be a game changer?

Quite frankly "game changer" is a meaningless buzzword.

So sure, some rando adapter to adapt Sony E lenses is a total game changer. 😎

Jun 03, 2022 at 05:42 AM
Creative Edge
• • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Megadap ETZ21 just announced: will it be a game changer?

Alistair1 wrote:
That is good to know regarding the Canon lenses. What Canon to Nikon adapter do you use? Thanks.

I use the Fringer Pro adapter and it works as well as the Nikon lenses with the FTZ.

Jun 03, 2022 at 06:10 AM
MRomine
• • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Megadap ETZ21 just announced: will it be a game changer?

Sauseschritt wrote:
Quite frankly "game changer" is a meaningless buzzword.

So sure, some rando adapter to adapt Sony E lenses is a total game changer. 😎

What game has been changed?

Jun 03, 2022 at 08:47 AM
1bwana1
• • • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Megadap ETZ21 just announced: will it be a game changer?

bernardl wrote:
Well, that 135mm f1.8 was one of the key reasons why I gave up on Sony... the sharpest and most lifeless images I have ever shot...

I ended up not using my a7rIV due to the lack of lenses matching what my Nikon 105mm f1.4 had given me for years.

There are now some very nice Sony lenses, the 50mm f1.2 (although the Z is outstanding also), the 35mm f1.4,... I have a bit of hard time coming up with other examples right now.

Cheers,
Bernard

Many would disagree with you on the 135mm GM. There are a number that are worth adapting. Here is another that is lighter, smaller, optically better than you will find elsewhere.

https://www.dxomark.com/sony-fe-70-200mm-f2-8-gm-oss-ii-lens-test/

Not that actual work result will be meaningfully different. But the size/weight difference between a Z9 with 70-200S, and an A1 with the 70-200 GM II is roughly the same proportional difference between a Porsche 911 and a Ford f150 pickup. One could partially mitigate that by adapting the lens. However, I doubt that this is important for most that have chosen a Z9.

Cheers,

Steve

Jun 03, 2022 at 09:40 AM
Buckeye2604
• •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Megadap ETZ21 just announced: will it be a game changer?

1bwana1 wrote:
Many would disagree with you on the 135mm GM. There are a number that are worth adapting. Here is another that is lighter, smaller, optically better than you will find elsewhere.

https://www.dxomark.com/sony-fe-70-200mm-f2-8-gm-oss-ii-lens-test/

Not that actual work result will be meaningfully different. But the size/weight difference between a Z9 with 70-200S, and an A1 with the 70-200 GM II is roughly the same proportional difference between a Porsche 911 and a Ford f150 pickup. One could partially mitigate that by adapting the lens. However, I doubt that this is important for someone who has chosen a Z9.

Cheers,

Steve

You picked the one lens nobody in their right mind would adapt to a Z body. IMO a $450 - 750 (current sale price in US) premium and the variability that can come with adapting is not worth a 300g weight saving, but perhaps somebody could think otherwise.
I see this adapter as a great option to use lenses that don’t exist in Z system currently like the 14mm or those new apsc lenses and not equivalent lenses for a bit of weight saving. I also think the adapter will be of interest to hobbyists rather than professionals.

Jun 03, 2022 at 10:14 AM
akashyap
• • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Megadap ETZ21 just announced: will it be a game changer?

My Sony camera doesn’t work with a photobooth software I’m interested in, so I’m looking around. I am married to some E mount lenses (Voigtlander 40/1.2, Loxia series) and love the offering of the E mount as a whole (I don’t see lightweight 2.8 UWA zooms natively on RF and Z like Tamron 17-28 or Sigma 16-28), so the fact that Nikon can lightly adapt my preferred lenses is great for me.

I like the 24-120 S and older F primes like 28/58/105, as well as a couple of EF lenses (70-300L), so I’m pretty interested in making a Frankenstein of a lens collection with a Nikon camera (keeping my Sony might become optional).

Jun 03, 2022 at 11:25 AM
1bwana1
• • • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Megadap ETZ21 just announced: will it be a game changer?

Buckeye2604 wrote:
You picked the one lens nobody in their right mind would adapt to a Z body. IMO a $450 - 750 (current sale price in US) premium and the variability that can come with adapting is not worth a 300g weight saving, but perhaps somebody could think otherwise.
I see this adapter as a great option to use lenses that don’t exist in Z system currently like the 14mm or those new apsc lenses and not equivalent lenses for a bit of weight saving. I also think the adapter will be of interest to hobbyists rather than professionals.

I think I made it pretty clear that there is really no good reason for anyone to adapt the Sony lenses lens to the Z system. Weight not being a primary motivator for those that bought the Z9. My response was just to indicate to the poster I was responding to that there are a good number of lenses in the Sony system that are of a quality that compares favorably to their Nikon S counterparts.

I general I am not a fan of adapting lenses across systems at all. I don't do that with my Sony system. As the Z lens line grows there will be less and less reason to do so with a Nikon system . If something is missing it is probably better to use a Nikon F mount lens. I feel your odds of good performance are better doing this.

For still photography I don't see this new adapter as being a game changer.

For video photography the very powerfull Z9 video capabilities can now be combined with the amazing Sony cinema lens library to make a World class video platform. Many will find that a game changer. Nikon shooters now benefit from Sony's one mount strategy.

Jun 03, 2022 at 02:04 PM
1bwana1
• • • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Megadap ETZ21 just announced: will it be a game changer?

gdsf2 wrote:
No interest at all. I went all in on the Z mount for the Z lenses.

I think you are more likely to see 5% than 90%.

Think video and Sony's industry leading line of cinema lenses. That combo likely makes the Z9 the best hybrid stills and video camera currently available.

Those kinds of lenses are not on Nikon's current road map, but suddenly are instantly available on the Z platform along with all the third party emount cinema lenses.

Jun 04, 2022 at 09:52 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Megadap ETZ21 just announced: will it be a game changer?

Think video and Sony's industry leading line of cinema lenses

that's not the best reference to tread with. there are a considerably better options in that field of endeavor.

Jun 04, 2022 at 10:16 AM
1bwana1
• • • • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Megadap ETZ21 just announced: will it be a game changer?

sjms wrote:
that's not the best reference to tread with. there are a considerably better options in that field of endeavor.

Can you name a hybrid camera maker with a better line of cinema lenses?

I didn't think so...

The one mount strategy has always been a huge advantage in the hybrid industry . No one else has it. Now Nikon users can take advantage also.

Jun 04, 2022 at 10:36 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Megadap ETZ21 just announced: will it be a game changer?

no, but i can name a few optics makers though that can be adapted that are. but then most actual cinema cameras are PL mount.

Edited on Jun 04, 2022 at 11:03 AM · View previous versions

Jun 04, 2022 at 10:54 AM
1bwana1
• • • • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Megadap ETZ21 just announced: will it be a game changer?

sjms wrote:
no, but i can name a few optics makers though that can be adapted that are. but then most actual cinema cameras are PL mount.

Exactly as I thought. You are just once again trying to be snarky to derail a positive thread and comment. A small behavior as usual.

But you have shown that my statement is actually a good reference to tread with.

Edited on Jun 04, 2022 at 11:05 AM · View previous versions

Jun 04, 2022 at 11:02 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Megadap ETZ21 just announced: will it be a game changer?

i guess so. but then again........

Jun 04, 2022 at 11:03 AM
GrandNagus50
• •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Megadap ETZ21 just announced: will it be a game changer?

I don't see this as a "game changer," for reasons other commenters have provided. But I am very interested in the upcoming Nikon 200-600mm Z zoom, and I am increasingly fearful that it won't reach the market for another year. I have read that there have been significant manufacturing interruptions in China because of Covid. This is a big reason why only some NPS members have received their preordered 800mm PF lenses so far. The Nikon 200-600 has not been announced and there is no anticipated announcement date I have heard about. It might be a while. In light of this, it would seem reasonable to look at the Sony 200-600mm zoom, a truly excellent lens, as a substitute. That is, IF the Metadap converter provides full function, much as an FTZ adapter would for a Nikon F mount lens. I am interested to find out just how good this converter turns out to be.

Jun 04, 2022 at 03:01 PM
scott f
• • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Megadap ETZ21 just announced: will it be a game changer?

I think the adapter will fill some niche spots for astrophotography like the 14mm f1.8 that Sony makes, and isn't available with nikon. I'm considering that lens and the Sony 20mm f1.8 which is a superior lens to Nikon 20mm both in sharpness and coma. But I think the adapted route is workable for specific uses, not more general like the 200-600 Sony. Adapter in my experience, tend to overpromise and underdeliver, and aren't worth the unpredictability factor.

Jun 06, 2022 at 09:13 AM
Buckeye2604
• •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Megadap ETZ21 just announced: will it be a game changer?

scott f wrote:
I'm considering that lens and the Sony 20mm f1.8 which is a superior lens to Nikon 20mm both in sharpness and coma.

The Sony also has a size and weight advantage.
I’ve been looking into some wide angle lenses and found those two are practically the same for sharpness - the G a smidge sharper in center, the S a smidge sharper outside of center.

Jun 06, 2022 at 01:16 PM
FredBGG
• •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Megadap ETZ21 just announced: will it be a game changer?

It does not work very well at all. In AF-C it's out of focus a lot of the time.

Watch this video, but put it on a 4k screen and set the video to 0,25 speed in youtube. You will clearly see that the focus is
off so much of the time.

In AF-S you may get acceptable results on a relatively static subject.

https://youtu.be/j1_O2dGkk3s

Jun 06, 2022 at 05:55 PM
scott f
• • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Megadap ETZ21 just announced: will it be a game changer?

Buckeye2604 wrote:
The Sony also has a size and weight advantage.
I’ve been looking into some wide angle lenses and found those two are practically the same for sharpness - the G a smidge sharper in center, the S a smidge sharper outside of center.

This is the factor I'm most concerned with, Coma. The Nikkor doesn't fare that well in comparison.
https://www.lenstip.com/587.7-Lens_review-Nikon_Nikkor_Z_20_mm_f_1.8_S_Coma__astigmatism_and_bokeh.html
https://www.lenstip.com/629.7-Lens_review-Sony_FE_20_mm_f_1.8_G_Coma__astigmatism_and_bokeh.html

Adapting the sony 14mmf1.8 also interests me, but two things put me off, one is the heavy vignetting and the coma, which isn't as well controlled as sony implied in their marketing materials.

Jun 08, 2022 at 09:46 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.