Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2022 · The most efficient way to transfer pictures from the camera?

Kalainen
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · The most efficient way to transfer pictures from the camera?

Hi everyone,

I'm in the process on building a new editing pc for my photography work. The pc itself is getting together nicely, but I would also love to change the way how I transfer the pics from my camera to my computer.

Here's how I do it now and what's the problem:
- I have a Sony A7III and attach the cable from camera to front usb panel of my aged computer. I believe the usb is 2.0 (it's over 10 years old computer) and I'm using Sandisk Extreme Pro SDXC I (95 MB/s) cards in my camera. It takes quite a long time for 64 Gb transfer and since I'm building a new computer I might as well change this as well.

Now the new computer will have usb 3.0 and usb c-type 3.0 in the front panel. If I just attach the same cable as before, should I experience faster transfer times? I do understand that this is a pretty newbie question, but I've been away from computer tech for some time crafting images.

Or should I invest into somekind of card reader? Maybe I should also get new cards for my camera?

I'm sure someone here knows the answers..

May 28, 2022 at 04:22 AM
schlotz
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · The most efficient way to transfer pictures from the camera?

Look for a ProGrade card reader. Use the cable that comes with it.

May 28, 2022 at 06:58 AM
bobby350z
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · The most efficient way to transfer pictures from the camera?

card reader.

May 28, 2022 at 09:20 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · The most efficient way to transfer pictures from the camera?

Kalainen wrote:
Hi everyone,

I'm in the process on building a new editing pc for my photography work. The pc itself is getting together nicely, but I would also love to change the way how I transfer the pics from my camera to my computer.

- I have a Sony A7III and attach the cable from camera to front usb panel of my aged computer. I believe the usb is 2.0 (it's over 10 years old computer) and I'm using Sandisk Extreme Pro SDXC I (95 MB/s) cards in my camera. It takes quite
...Show more

A current motherboard should have a USB 3.1/3.2 Gen 2 (10Gbps) header that you can can attach to a USB-C port on the case. The typical USB A case ports attach to a USB 3.x 2-channel header that may only run at 5Gbps (USB 3.0/3.1 Gen 1/3.2 Gen 1). Check your online manual to ensure that the USB port used is at the full speed of the reader for maximum performance. Of course a Gen 2 reader can operate at half speed just fine on a USB 3.0/3.1 Gen 1/3.2 Gen 1 port.

EBH

May 28, 2022 at 10:05 AM
Kalainen
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · The most efficient way to transfer pictures from the camera?

EB-1 wrote:
A current motherboard should have a USB 3.1/3.2 Gen 2 (10Gbps) header that you can can attach to a USB-C port on the case. The typical USB A case ports attach to a USB 3.x 2-channel header that may only run at 5Gbps (USB 3.0/3.1 Gen 1/3.2 Gen 1). Check your online manual to ensure that the USB port used is at the full speed of the reader for maximum performance. Of course a Gen 2 reader can operate at half speed just fine on a USB 3.0/3.1 Gen 1/3.2 Gen 1 port.

Call me simple, but I need some more explaining.

The motherboard will have USB-C header (even with 60w quick charge support). The case has USB-C port on top of it. So, I'll attach these two together to have maximum speed. But do I connect a card reader into that port or just my Sony A7III camera directly? And if it's a card reader, I should invest into one that reads the cards that I'm using with my Sony, so that's SDXC I and maybe the SDXC II for the future? These must be pretty simple question, and they surely make me look lke a pretty simple person, but somehow I've managed to use Sony A7III for years without really thinking how the cable transfer from the camera actually works. I presume it is USB 3.0, 3.1 Gen 1 or 3.2 Gen 1? Or is it just USB2.

May 28, 2022 at 02:24 PM
jrhoffman75
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · The most efficient way to transfer pictures from the camera?

DPR spec data says USB 3.2 Gen 1 (5 GBit/sec)

May 28, 2022 at 04:03 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · The most efficient way to transfer pictures from the camera?

Card reader.

May 28, 2022 at 10:47 PM
Kalainen
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · The most efficient way to transfer pictures from the camera?

jrhoffman75 wrote:

Thanks for checking this out. I've been busy finishing my new pc build (part selection really, will actually be building it in coming weeks). So, this is like 10x faster than usb2 (which I'm currently using, I think..)

May 29, 2022 at 02:26 AM
Kalainen
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · The most efficient way to transfer pictures from the camera?

Imagemaster wrote:
Card reader.

So, I assume the card reader will always be faster than using any Sony's own usb-port?

Edit: just checked and realized that there are card readers available with different speeds. I'm slowing getting it...

May 29, 2022 at 02:32 AM
schlotz
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · The most efficient way to transfer pictures from the camera?

As mentioned earlier, this is what you need. ProGrade Card Reader

May 29, 2022 at 08:09 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · The most efficient way to transfer pictures from the camera?

jrhoffman75 wrote:

Kalainen wrote:
Thanks for checking this out. I've been busy finishing my new pc build (part selection really, will actually be building it in coming weeks). So, this is like 10x faster than usb2 (which I'm currently using, I think..)

Yes, but that is still relatively show. You are basically moving from about 2000 to 2008 technology although most USB 3.0 devices did not support UASP for several more years and were limited to about 170MB/sec. It is rather surprising that any current computer does not support USB 3.1/3.2 Gen 2 at least across one port.

EBH

May 29, 2022 at 10:53 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · The most efficient way to transfer pictures from the camera?

Kalainen wrote:
Hi everyone,

- I have a Sony A7III and attach the cable from camera to front usb panel of my aged computer. I believe the usb is 2.0 (it's over 10 years old computer) and I'm using Sandisk Extreme Pro SDXC I (95 MB/s) cards in my camera. It takes quite
...Show more
EB-1 wrote:

Kalainen wrote:
Call me simple, but I need some more explaining.

The motherboard will have USB-C header (even with 60w quick charge support). The case has USB-C port on top of it. So, I'll attach these two together to have maximum speed. But do I connect a card reader into that port or just my Sony A7III camera directly? And if it's a card reader, I should invest into one that reads the cards that I'm using with my Sony, so that's SDXC I and maybe the SDXC II for the future? These must be pretty simple question, and they surely make
...Show more

It is nice to have the fastest 3.x port available for the future when you may be using CFe or SDe cards that can take advantage. However, SDxC only needs USB 3.0 as the UHS-II transfer rates are limited to about 300MB/sec. If nothing else is decided, just buy a card reader and don't use the camera. You don't need USB-C for SDxC although there are some. I use the Sony MRW-S1 for SDxC cards and don't waste my USB-C Gen 2 ports on it because UHS-II is the bottleneck.

EBH

May 29, 2022 at 10:59 AM
Kalainen
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · The most efficient way to transfer pictures from the camera?

EB-1 wrote:
It is nice to have the fastest 3.x port available for the future when you may be using CFe or SDe cards that can take advantage. However, SDxC only needs USB 3.0 as the UHS-II transfer rates are limited to about 300MB/sec. If nothing else is decided, just buy a card reader and don't use the camera. You don't need USB-C for SDxC although there are some. I use the Sony MRW-S1 for SDxC cards and don't waste my USB-C Gen 2 ports on it because UHS-II is the bottleneck.

EBH

Sorry for the late reply but I want to thank you (and others as well) for spoon feeding this to me. This particular advice is very useful to me and I've already located couple of options for a card reader. It's going to be a very nice to boost my workflow on every level - well at least concerning technology, wetware and transfer speeds at the brain-thought connection might be another thing..

Jun 01, 2022 at 04:51 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.