Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2022 · Friend needs upgrades for sports (Kite Surfing)

jcbradshaw
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Friend needs upgrades for sports (Kite Surfing)

A buddy of mine asked me for advice on new equipment for shooting kite surfing. I have not been keeping up with some of the options these days for sports photography, so here I am asking all of you. (I'm set with my 1D MkIV and L-lenses).

His set up is pretty pathetic for sports. Frame rate of the camera and focus speed of the lens must be killing him:
Nikon D5500
Tamron 16-300
He also has a Nikon 50 f/1.8 for IQ on things not moving

He asked about mirrorless. Last I looked, those are not suitable for sports. Is that still the case? What are the pro's and con's to mirrorless for sports? I certainly don't see any on the sidelines of pro events.

As I think about it, I can probably help him find current DSLR components that will meet his needs, but suggestions and comments are welcome. He is NOT married to Nikon.

Thank you all in advance for your input.

Jeff

May 25, 2022 at 12:21 PM
jcmedeiros
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Friend needs upgrades for sports (Kite Surfing)

Jeff,

Since no one is responding here, I'll pitch in my 2 cents.

Mirrorless cameras are fantastic for sports. I use my Canon R5 all the time, combined with a pair of 1Dx's. With kite surfing, I doubt the electronic/rolling shutter effects would even be noticeable.

A used Canon R6, an EF to RF converter and an EF 100-400 L lens would bring nirvana to his shooting experience. The RF 100-500 is also a great option with more reach but at a higher cost.

May 26, 2022 at 07:03 AM
jcbradshaw
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Friend needs upgrades for sports (Kite Surfing)

That is exactly what I was looking for! I was thinking 100-400L also since I use it for many things and love it.

Thank you!

May 26, 2022 at 08:27 AM
schlotz
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Friend needs upgrades for sports (Kite Surfing)

Yes, mirrorless bodies work very well for sports. Some do have a tendency to elongate a ball with high electronic shutter speeds. My buddy uses the R6 w/electronic shutter and I see it regularly. I use the Sony and don't have the issue. The 100-400 might still be reach challenged for Kite Surfing. Might want to consider adding a 1.4 TC to it.

BTW: The are a number of pros shooting sports with mirrorless these days. Some of those big white lenses are in fact Sony and not Canon.

Matt

Example from yesterday's match here in Indy:

Manuel Arteaga (9) Forward

May 29, 2022 at 03:32 PM
CPSU81

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Friend needs upgrades for sports (Kite Surfing)

I have a Sigma 120-300 2.8 and a 2x teleconverter which is great when I need the extra stops indoors or the longer focal length outside.

Jun 21, 2022 at 04:15 PM
amlsml
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Friend needs upgrades for sports (Kite Surfing)

if he wants cheap look for a used d500 and 200-400

Jul 21, 2022 at 06:52 AM
CW100
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Friend needs upgrades for sports (Kite Surfing)

jcbradshaw wrote:
A buddy of mine asked me for advice on new equipment for shooting kite surfing. I have not been keeping up with some of the options these days for sports photography, so here I am asking all of you. (I'm set with my 1D MkIV and L-lenses).

His set up is pretty pathetic for sports. Frame rate of the camera and focus speed of the lens must be killing him:
Nikon D5500
Tamron 16-300
He also has a Nikon 50 f/1.8 for IQ on things not moving

He asked about mirrorless. Last I looked, those are not suitable for sports. Is that still the
...Show more

I'll also vote 100-400
(and mirrorless)

Untitled by c w, on Flickr

Jul 21, 2022 at 07:09 AM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.