New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2022 · GH6 + Oly 150-400?

AJay
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · GH6 + Oly 150-400?

Curious to know if anyone has tried this combination. My interest is primarily for video work, especially 4k 120p. I don't expect the GH6 to be stellar when it comes to autofocus but is it usable in video mode?

Thanks!

May 25, 2022 at 03:15 AM
molson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · GH6 + Oly 150-400?

It's my first morning with the GH6, and I haven't tried anything in video mode yet (still waiting for my CF Express cards to arrive) but for stills, I'm quite impressed with the image quality of the new sensor, and the animal detect AF seems to work pretty well. Even the image stabilization is pretty good despite not having Dual IS2 with OM lenses - the shot below was hand-held at 1/80th of a second. I'm hoping I can get even better results once I figure out the optimum settings and customize the camera.

DC-GH6    OLYMPUS M.150-400mm F4.5 lens    400mm    f/4.5    1/80s    3200 ISO    0.0 EV  

Dec 23, 2022 at 12:03 PM
indusphoto
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · GH6 + Oly 150-400?

That is beautiful photo and very clean. I suppose you used an external tool for noise reduction?

Also what are you impressions compared to om-1?

molson wrote:
It's my first morning with the GH6, and I haven't tried anything in video mode yet (still waiting for my CF Express cards to arrive) but for stills, I'm quite impressed with the image quality of the new sensor, and the animal detect AF seems to work pretty well. Even the image stabilization is pretty good despite not having Dual IS2 with OM lenses - the shot below was hand-held at 1/80th of a second. I'm hoping I can get even better results once I figure out the optimum settings and customize the camera.

Feb 13, 2023 at 04:43 PM
molson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · GH6 + Oly 150-400?

indusphoto wrote:
That is beautiful photo and very clean. I suppose you used an external tool for noise reduction?

Also what are you impressions compared to om-1?

Thanks! I use DxO PureRAW for just about anything above base ISO now (it's kind of addictive...).

I find the GH6 files are less punchy and saturated than the OM-1 files, more neutral and with finer resolution of small details, which I guess you would expect from a newer sensor/processor with 20% more pixels to work with.

Feb 13, 2023 at 06:38 PM
johnvanr
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · GH6 + Oly 150-400?

I haven’t tried the combo, but I’m sure it’s fine for still subjects and will underperform for anything that moves. After all, until the OM-1 MFT sucked at CAF. And that includes the GH6.

Feb 13, 2023 at 08:46 PM
molson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · GH6 + Oly 150-400?

johnvanr wrote:
I haven’t tried the combo, but I’m sure it’s fine for still subjects and will underperform for anything that moves. After all, until the OM-1 MFT sucked at CAF. And that includes the GH6.

I guess it just depends on the skill of the person behind the camera.

Feb 14, 2023 at 10:16 AM
johnvanr
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · GH6 + Oly 150-400?

molson wrote:
I guess it just depends on the skill of the person behind the camera.

In general, yes, but when using CAF on the pre-OM1 MFT cameras, no.

Feb 14, 2023 at 11:32 AM
molson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · GH6 + Oly 150-400?

johnvanr wrote:

Strange that so many other people were able to use all those earlier cameras successfully...

Feb 14, 2023 at 12:04 PM
galenapass
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · GH6 + Oly 150-400?

johnvanr wrote:

You are correct there, for sure.

Feb 14, 2023 at 03:54 PM
vertigo1959

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · GH6 + Oly 150-400?

johnvanr wrote:

Plenty of images on this forum and elsewhere that were fantastic in CAF with various olympus cameras before the om system camera.
Easy to find as well.

Feb 14, 2023 at 07:39 PM
johnvanr
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · GH6 + Oly 150-400?

I said ‘underperform.’ That doesn’t mean it was impossible. It means the camera wasn’t very good at it.

Feb 14, 2023 at 08:07 PM
jefflee
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · GH6 + Oly 150-400?

I think it would work, if you know the camera and shoot from a good tripod and PRO level fluid head. I've done some 4K 120 with the PL100-400 and the Gh6 will hold focus IF you are good enough on your panning. Turn off stabilization, I've found that you have about 60 degrees of easy travel/focus, then as your body twists it becomes much harder.

Feb 16, 2023 at 10:52 AM
gunmetal
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · GH6 + Oly 150-400?

vertigo1959 wrote:
Plenty of images on this forum and elsewhere that were fantastic in CAF with various olympus cameras before the om system camera.
Easy to find as well.

I think they're referring to CAF + Tracking. I could be wrong, but that's my impression. Tracking on anything Pre OM-1 was meh compared to stuff Sony and Canon have had on the market for some time. It's faults were often covered up by being able to shoot at insanely high burst rates of 50 FPS or whatever so you could still end up with a handful of sharp image sandwiched between several soft or completely oof images. It's sort of how Fuji guys justify the X-H2s (before recent firmware update) and all of it's misses.

Feb 16, 2023 at 12:04 PM
cyra
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · GH6 + Oly 150-400?

Does the Gh6 hsve any advantages for you over the G9 with the PL 100-400? I wonder whether a switch is worth wile.

jefflee wrote:
I think it would work, if you know the camera and shoot from a good tripod and PRO level fluid head. I've done some 4K 120 with the PL100-400 and the Gh6 will hold focus IF you are good enough on your panning. Turn off stabilization, I've found that you have about 60 degrees of easy travel/focus, then as your body twists it becomes much harder.

Apr 06, 2023 at 06:04 AM

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.