FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Downgrade to a7rii?

GHarris
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Downgrade to a7rii?

Olaf G wrote:
One question: the stareater effect can be avoided by using continuous mode with the A7RM2.
Is this true for the A7RM3 too?

Sadly no.

The reason the Continuous shutter mode trick works on the A7Rii, is that, when set to Continuous, the camera needs to be ready to receive a lot of images to process and store in a short space of time. The 2015-era internal electronics of the A7Rii didn't have the horsepower to do all the image processing steps that would normally be intended to be done, in such a (potentially) rushed situation. In Single shooting mode, you get the full whack of image processing steps, including for example 14-bit shooting and the star eater defect. Because, one slow single shot at a time, the Sony engineers obviously decided the Rii could handle all that workload. But in Continuous, the camera drops down to 12-bit and drops the Star Eater processing step, among other things. And this works for exposures of up to (and including) 30 seconds in length.

The A7Riii, like all the 3rd-generation Sony bodies, had more processing horsepower. So the shortcuts/compromises in the image processing pipeline for Continuous shooting mode were no longer required. You get 14-bit in Continuous, just like in Single, but you also get eaten stars at exposures past 3.2 seconds in length no matter what settings you choose.

(The 12 vs 14 bit thing is not relevant for the kinds of ISO settings used for astro-imaging, thankfully. I only mention the 12-bit thing as one of the various 'shortcuts' the Rii's imaging pathway makes in Continuous, alongside not taking the trouble to eat stars)

May 25, 2022 at 04:30 PM
IslandMed
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Downgrade to a7rii?

Olaf G wrote:
Love my A7RM2, but I prefer stacking RAWs in post compared to doing it in the app. More control, can choose the frames and the blending mode, e.g. median vs average.
Also I like to use a ND filter on top of it because otherwise I consider the app a shutter killer as it does not work with the silent shutter mode.
One question: the stareater effect can be avoided by using continuous mode with the A7RM2.
Is this true for the A7RM3 too?

SmoothReflections App and ND filter produce different results, IMO we should not compare them.
Re shutter: A7R2 shutter is surprisingly robust. It is claimed that it can last 500'000 actuations (like A9) - it seems good assumption (as far as I currently have 250K on my R2).
This is also true for A7R3 shutter.
Shutter on A7iii is different and has median life expectancy between 50 and 100K.

May 25, 2022 at 05:12 PM
3catsinky
• • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Downgrade to a7rii?

chez wrote:
Yes, the R3 does everything better...except run the app, which is what the OP is after.

yeah, i get it. i had an R2, that i took around the world with me, and wish I had never sold. the hacked app worked
great for using it to record video longer than 30 minutes.

May 26, 2022 at 06:22 AM
Jimi3
• •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Downgrade to a7rii?

I still have my A7r2 purchased in 2015 - Iím primarily a landscape guy, and never upgraded solely due to the fact that I love Smooth Reflections. The implementation is clunky, but I still use it all the time, both for moving water and moving clouds. As many have said, you can average your images later, but I like being able to do it in the field and to know when Iíve gotten the shot right. If Sony would just implement something similar on a new camera, Iíd upgrade right away. As it is, I donít mind my mark II, though the AF really is pretty bad for moving subjects.

May 26, 2022 at 08:01 PM
       end

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password