New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       end

Archive 2022 · Bang for your buck body - Travel focus

russellnadler
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Bang for your buck body - Travel focus

After a long...I mean LONG hiatus from photography, I'm hoping to rekindle things with an upcoming month long backpacking trip to Nepal. I'll have my S22 Ultra in my pocket, but I was hoping to supplement with a Fuji setup. Not trying to break the bank, but I'm think TBD body with the 18-55 kit lens. I used to have the X-E2 and loved it.

Anyone have a recommendation on what can be had on the cheap used? Don't need the latest features - still only, mostly landscape and street.

May 24, 2022 at 08:40 PM
mdude85
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Bang for your buck body - Travel focus

I'd probably say the XE4, if you can find one. To me that seems like the body with the best combination of small form factor with lens interchangeability.

May 25, 2022 at 09:34 AM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Bang for your buck body - Travel focus

The XE4 with the 18-55 isn't the smallest option on the market, but it is the smallest/lightest of the current x-trans bodies when paired with the tiny 27mm f/2.8. For more versatility the 18-55 zoom is an excellent lens.

As the previous poster points out, the XE4 (and the 27mm f/2.8, if you go that route) have been in short supply recently. If you plan to buy new, put in your order early.

However... I just noticed your "on the cheap used" qualification. The zoom lens (and possibly the OLD version of the 27mm lens) should be available for good prices on the used market. Perhaps a XE3 rather than the XE4?

May 25, 2022 at 09:47 AM
russellnadler
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Bang for your buck body - Travel focus

gdanmitchell wrote:
As the previous poster points out, the XE4 (and the 27mm f/2.8, if you go that route) have been in short supply recently. If you plan to buy new, put in your order early.

Buying an X-E3 is probably the move...hopefully from someone who upgrades to the X-E4

May 25, 2022 at 09:54 AM
mdude85
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Bang for your buck body - Travel focus

russellnadler wrote:
Buying an X-E3 is probably the move...hopefully from someone who upgrades to the X-E4

Part of the problem is that the XE3 is in rather short supply as well -- in part because the XE4s are so hard to come by. There's just not that much movement in the used market right now due to supply bottlenecks for new cameras.

May 25, 2022 at 10:01 AM
brewerj

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Bang for your buck body - Travel focus

The XT-3 is currently on sale, both body only and with the 18-55, and it's a great deal. Compared the the XE4, you'd get weather sealing and IMO a better grip. The XE4 (and X100) grip can be improved significantly with a thumbgrip attachment but that adds to the price.

May 25, 2022 at 10:37 AM
agvogel
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Bang for your buck body - Travel focus

I keep an X-T2 despite selling most of my Fuji gear - for ~450-500 used, weather sealed, reasonably good AF, it’s a great performer even after all these years. But definitely heavier/bulkier than the X-E line.

May 25, 2022 at 11:05 AM
rbf_
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Bang for your buck body - Travel focus

The other suggestions here are all good and I really like the XE series for a small setup, particularly with the 27. One other suggestion I don't think anyone has made is the XS10 if the lack of traditional dials is not a deal breaker. I handled one recently and it is very small and handy plus you get the IBIS as well. I've seen used ones on B&S for $750-800.

Edited on May 25, 2022 at 07:36 PM · View previous versions

May 25, 2022 at 04:55 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Bang for your buck body - Travel focus

brewerj wrote:
The XT-3 is currently on sale, both body only and with the 18-55, and it's a great deal. Compared the the XE4, you'd get weather sealing and IMO a better grip. The XE4 (and X100) grip can be improved significantly with a thumbgrip attachment but that adds to the price.

The XT3 is a fine alternative, though it is larger. I also agree that the XS-10 could be on the list.

May 25, 2022 at 06:02 PM
allemania

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Bang for your buck body - Travel focus

I'll throw in my two cents here. I've got an X-T3, X-H1 and an X-T20 and more Fuji lenses than I need. I went to the PNW a few months ago and wanted to keep things light, so I took the X-T3 with my 55-200 and the X-T20 with the 18-55.

I'm always surprised and impressed by the images I get from the X-T20 and the 18-55. I have smaller than average hands and it just melts away when I use it. And the weight of the combo is nothing. I know other people have mentioned the X-E3, so I guess it depends on if you want the corner EVF or not. My guess is that price for a used X-T20 may be a little less than an X-E3.

I'm a bit of a gear head and have Olympus and Sony FF gear, as well. I dig all of it for various reasons, but when I look at my X-T20 images sometimes I shake my head and wonder why I spend money on all the other gear

May 25, 2022 at 06:29 PM
pressureworld

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Bang for your buck body - Travel focus

I'm not sure what your budget is but the X-T2 is a really good bank for the buck camera. I used mine until last month and it's never let me down. I traveled to New York with it and was amazed at the flexibility provided with a small lens.

May 27, 2022 at 01:10 PM
AmbientMike
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Bang for your buck body - Travel focus

Haven't used but 16 is 24mm ff equivalent, 18 is 27mm. 24 is much wider if you are interested in one lens. 16-80 might be a good choice.

I suppose XE2 might not be bad, although 16mp

May 27, 2022 at 08:49 PM
gaopa
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Bang for your buck body - Travel focus

I have an X-E3 with a 16/2.8 for a go everywhere camera. I'm crazy about this camera/lens!

May 28, 2022 at 03:14 PM
CKrueger
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Bang for your buck body - Travel focus

I’d go with either an X-E3 or X-T30. They’re roughly the same, except the X-T30 is a tiny bit heavier and adds:

* Better sensor (26mpix back-side illuminated… better at high ISO)
* Somewhat better AF
* Flip LCD
* Mode dial

May 31, 2022 at 09:03 AM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Bang for your buck body - Travel focus

russellnadler wrote:
Anyone have a recommendation on what can be had on the cheap used? Don't need the latest features - still only, mostly landscape and street.

Coming back to the original post again today, since threads can sometimes diverge (naturally) from that focus.

Since you mentioned using the 18-55 kit lens (good choice, by the way), the X100(x) flavors are obviously off the table. "Cheap and used" take all of the current models off the table, too.

You "loved" the XE2, so that body style sits well with you. You don't say anything that suggests a change to a different/larger body style such as the XT or XPro.

I think you are probably a very good candidate for the XE3 if you can find a good used one at a decent price. I think that the changes from XE2 to XE3 are worth paying for. (If that is still too expensive, well, you know what the XE2 will do.)

If you are a zoom-using photographer, the combination of the XE3 and the excellent 18-55 kit zoom can cover a lot of ground in a pretty small package at a relatively low cost... and produce excellent image quality.

Dan

May 31, 2022 at 11:08 AM
Bsmooth
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Bang for your buck body - Travel focus

Took my XE2 to Italy and it performed flawlessly. Takes nice sharp pictures as well, even with the 18-55 lens. 16 MP is plenty, unless you plan to blow up to huge print sizes.
Only thing is the RAW Xtrans sensor and trees, not sure If this has been solved or not, but some processors have a bit of difficulty.

http://live.staticflickr.com/940/43154943014_a760717ee0_b.jpg

Jun 02, 2022 at 10:24 AM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Bang for your buck body - Travel focus

Bsmooth wrote:
Only thing is the RAW Xtrans sensor and trees, not sure If this has been solved or not, but some processors have a bit of difficulty.

You have to sharpen x-trans raw files a bit differently than Bayer sensor files. (I use an x-trans camera and a Bayer camera, both are non-AA-filtering setups.)

The most important difference is that with x-trans you'll want to keep the "details" setting (in Adobe LR or ACR) very low or at zero during the raw conversion process.

Dan

Jun 02, 2022 at 11:29 AM
molson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Bang for your buck body - Travel focus

Bsmooth wrote:

http://live.staticflickr.com/940/43154943014_a760717ee0_b.jpg

As long as you aren't using Adobe software for your RAW conversion, the artifacts shouldn't be a problem. There's a popular misconception that lowering the Details slider setting in Lightroom's sharpening panel will solve the problem, but that has little to no effect on the demosaicing artifacts - unless you just blur them out completely.

Using Capture One for RAW processing solves the problem, but introduces a different and possibly less intuitive workflow.

Jun 16, 2022 at 12:37 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Bang for your buck body - Travel focus

^^^

Jun 16, 2022 at 07:55 PM
RoamingScott
• • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Bang for your buck body - Travel focus

You get FAR better results sharpening X-Trans files with unsharp mask in PS than any combination of LR sharpening settings. I would personally not use Fuji X-Trans if I wanted to exclusively use LR for post, it just doesn’t play well with the files.

Capture One works significantly better, but for all my trying, I can’t get along with that program.

gdanmitchell wrote:
You have to sharpen x-trans raw files a bit differently than Bayer sensor files. (I use an x-trans camera and a Bayer camera, both are non-AA-filtering setups.)

The most important difference is that with x-trans you'll want to keep the "details" setting (in Adobe LR or ACR) very low or at zero during the raw conversion process.

Dan

Jun 16, 2022 at 10:17 PM

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.