New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

end

Leica 50mm f/1.4 Summilux 'black chrome' hood issue

Fred Miranda
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Leica 50mm f/1.4 Summilux 'black chrome' hood issue

Going back to the Leica 50/1.4 Lux BC..how many "500" special edition runs we are going to have?
I feel bad for the first 500 buyers who thought production would end soon. Not, it's even in Portugal!

May 25, 2022 at 04:15 PM
highdesertmesa
• • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Leica 50mm f/1.4 Summilux 'black chrome' hood issue

Fred Miranda wrote:
Going back to the Leica 50/1.4 Lux BC..how many "500" special edition runs we are going to have?
I feel bad for the first 500 buyers who thought production would end soon. Not, it's even in Portugal!

Yeah, Leica completely changed their mind on that one. It is only limited to how many people buy one before it's discontinued one day

May 25, 2022 at 04:25 PM
genji
• • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Leica 50mm f/1.4 Summilux 'black chrome' hood issue

Fred Miranda wrote:

I wish they hadnít discontinued the Black Chrome APO-Summicron 50!

May 25, 2022 at 04:55 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Leica 50mm f/1.4 Summilux 'black chrome' hood issue

The 50 Lux BC arrived today.

I tested for optical vignetting and don't see any issue when compared to the 50/1.4 Lux. I was worried that the 43mm vs 46mm thread would cause higher vignetting for the BC.

The worse optical vignetting is always at infinity. So I set both lenses to infinity distance,

First image (50/1.4 Lux BC)
Second image (50/1.4 Lux)

black chrome

LEICA M10-R    f/1.2    1/125s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

Vanilla Lux

LEICA M10-R    f/1.2    1/125s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

May 25, 2022 at 08:17 PM
AcuteShadows
• • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Leica 50mm f/1.4 Summilux 'black chrome' hood issue

I have machined a B+W polarizing filter to make it fit on the 28mm Summilux ASPH with the hood (i.e. below the hood). Be careful with any metal dust that may settle on the filter or even on the lens if you keep it nearby.

I don't know whether that would work with this particular problem, though.

May 25, 2022 at 08:29 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Fred Miranda
Admin
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Leica 50mm f/1.4 Summilux 'black chrome' hood issue

After playing with the 50/1.4 Lux BC and regular 50/1.4 Lux today, I decided that I prefer using the latter.
The BC version is absolutely beautiful but I think the tab is still useful on the regular version which gives the choice of using ring or tab. The hood situation is also an issue for me.
Perhaps if I had a black-chrome M body instead of silver, I would be more tempted to keep the BC.

Both are identical optically so it's really about looks and haptics.

May 26, 2022 at 01:38 PM
highdesertmesa
• • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Leica 50mm f/1.4 Summilux 'black chrome' hood issue

Fred Miranda wrote:
After playing with the 50/1.4 Lux BC and regular 50/1.4 Lux today, I decided that I prefer using the latter.
The BC version is absolutely beautiful but I think the tab is still useful on the regular version which gives the choice of using ring or tab. The hood situation is also an issue for me.
Perhaps if I had a black-chrome M body instead of silver, I would be more tempted to keep the BC.

I find it really awkward on my 28 Lux to move from the tab and find the narrow focusing ring by feel. I wish the focusing rings on the tabbed lenses were wider. No reason we couldn't have the scalloped ring design combined with the tab as well Ė not sure if that would be some kind of lens design abomination, though.

So far I'm so happy with the CV 50 APO, I don't think I will re-buy a 50 Lux until they update it with a shorter MFD as has been rumored.

Really glad to hear there's no vignetting difference on the BC

May 26, 2022 at 01:57 PM
genji
• • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Leica 50mm f/1.4 Summilux 'black chrome' hood issue

Fred Miranda wrote:

The Leica 50 APO has a tab which I do find useful plus a twist and lock hood but for me the BC 50 Lux is too beautiful to replace with the regular version.

May 26, 2022 at 05:33 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Leica 50mm f/1.4 Summilux 'black chrome' hood issue

genji wrote:
The Leica 50 APO has a tab which I do find useful plus a twist and lock hood but for me the BC 50 Lux is too beautiful to replace with the regular version.

Yes, I agree. I reserve the right to change my mind at any time! But it would be a bit silly to hold on to both lenses.

May 26, 2022 at 07:36 PM
       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password