Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1
       2       end
  

Leica 50mm f/1.4 Summilux 'black chrome' hood issue

  
 
Fred Miranda
Offline
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Leica 50mm f/1.4 Summilux 'black chrome' hood issue


I've read there is an issue when combining a 43mm filter to the Leica 50mm f/1.4 Summilux black chrome with its original hood.

Apparently, most 43mm filters are too wide in diameter to allow the hood to be mounted. It seemed to be a design mishap since a filter plus hood could not be attached at the same time. Leica worked on a solution starting in 2018 and is still currently modifying the original hood, adding threads in place of the pins in order to attach it directly to the lens or filter threads.

It's functional solution but not aesthetically great imo.

Has anyone found a thin filter (in diameter) that works with this lens and allows the original hood to be attached?



May 24, 2022 at 04:45 PM
genji
Online
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Leica 50mm f/1.4 Summilux 'black chrome' hood issue


It’s been more than two years since I bought my BC 50 Lux and I could be mistaken but I was under the impression that the issue with original hood was that standard 43mm filters were too thick rather than too wide. My hood plus the front and rear caps is in the original box which I’ll have to retrieve from my storeroom to check. The “solutions” that I’m aware of are:
* the Leica modification you describe
* an expensive aftermarket hood from Thorsten van Overgaard though it seems that some buyers of his hoods have complained about fulfilment issues
* a cheap Chinese 43mm vented hood, which is what I chose.



May 24, 2022 at 05:39 PM
highdesertmesa
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Leica 50mm f/1.4 Summilux 'black chrome' hood issue


The issue is a lack of a milled groove at the bottom of the filter ring so that the clips on the hood can engage as if there were no filter attached. There's not a filter on earth (that you'd want to use) with a ring narrow enough to work. There are vintage Leica 43mm filters with the correct groove design that are available on eBay, but they are a different thread pitch and will not work with the modern 50 Lux BC's filter threads.

The screw-on Leica-converted hood solution looks weird and subjects your lens threads to leverage-based damage. The lens hood situation a poor design that wasn't well thought out. I always used mine without a hood, because the hood is almost comically large to begin with.

I think the 50 Lux BC is still worth owning even with this issue. I never had any problems with flare without the hood and using only a filter.

Leica used a better design on the re-release of the 50 Noct f/1.2, which allows its retro hood to attach with a filter on the lens.




May 24, 2022 at 06:47 PM
Fred Miranda
Offline
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Leica 50mm f/1.4 Summilux 'black chrome' hood issue


Thanks for your comments guys.
Yes, I was under the impression that when engaging the hood tabs, the internal grips would clamp in 2 sections. One on the lens indentation and the other right on top of the lens. If a filter shares the same lens diameter, the hood upper grip would not be able to clamp on. If we can find a filter that's slightly smaller in diameter, it may work.

I forgot where I read this but I believe that if one attaches the original hood filter and drops a regular 43mm filter from the top, both hood grips can be engaged and the filter can rotated into the lens thread. Perhaps that could be solution as well. I should have my copy arriving in a couple days but may not even use the hood on it.



May 24, 2022 at 09:34 PM
genji
Online
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Leica 50mm f/1.4 Summilux 'black chrome' hood issue


What prompted you to get a BC Lux 50, Fred?


May 24, 2022 at 11:00 PM
Fred Miranda
Offline
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Leica 50mm f/1.4 Summilux 'black chrome' hood issue


genji wrote:
What prompted you to get a BC Lux 50, Fred?


I like the classic design and already know how it performs owning the black anodized version for a couple years. I will own both version for a while and decide which one I like the most.



May 24, 2022 at 11:45 PM
highdesertmesa
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Leica 50mm f/1.4 Summilux 'black chrome' hood issue


Fred Miranda wrote:
Thanks for your comments guys.
Yes, I was under the impression that when engaging the hood tabs, the internal grips would clamp in 2 sections. One on the lens indentation and the other right on top of the lens. If a filter shares the same lens diameter, the hood upper grip would not be able to clamp on. If we can find a filter that's slightly smaller in diameter, it may work.

I forgot where I read this but I believe that if one attaches the original hood filter and drops a regular 43mm filter from the top, both hood
...Show more

The only filters found by people posing in the super-long Leica Forum thread about the issue that would work was one no-name Chinese brand filter, something I definitely would not put in front of glass like the 50 Lux. No major brand with decent glass in the filter would work. There were a lot of filters tried.

The method of dropping in the filter on top of the hood and screwing them in together does work. It pinches the bottom tabs between the bottom of the filter ring and the lens when tightened. The filter can never be fully screwed down since the tabs are there in between now, so you have to be ok with that. This method would be more of a solution for putting on a protective filter and leaving the whole contraption assembled as-is. But it makes taking the filter on/off for a polarizer or color filters for monochrome a pain. Also when screwed in like that, it's nearly impossible to screw to get the nice white text on the hood ring aligned perfectly in the center, which my OCD could not abide

---------------------------------------------

Fred Miranda wrote:
I like the classic design and already know how it performs owning the black anodized version for a couple years. I will own both version for a while and decide which one I like the most.


The feel of the BC is in a league of its own – super dense all brass with the nice texture of black chrome. This is probably the last black chrome lens Leica will ever sell new since they are moving to the black textured paint like the M11 and limited edition 28 Cron that just came out. Something about the black chroming process was not environmentally conscious enough for Leica. The BC focusing ring is incredible, and the aperture ring was really great, too. I find this design much easier to focus than tabbed lenses like my 28 Lux, but to each their own with that.

The biggest drawback of the BC is its biggest positive, IMO – the dense weight. Because of that, it was a lens I used either alone or with one other lens in the bag. But hey, you could use this as an excuse to get the black M11 so you can offset the added weight of the BC



May 25, 2022 at 10:45 AM
highdesertmesa
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Leica 50mm f/1.4 Summilux 'black chrome' hood issue


One other thing I will mention about the BC is sample variation. My first copy was the Portugal version (which annoyingly but understandably omits some of the cool engraving on the lens hood that mentions Germany), and at close distance the center was sharp, but the mid-frame and edges were horrible, terrible, very bad, and not good. The second copy was the German version, and it was perfect. As you know, the lens is softer at mid-frame and edges at close distance wide open, but my first copy was way far off from acceptable.


May 25, 2022 at 10:52 AM
RexGig0
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Leica 50mm f/1.4 Summilux 'black chrome' hood issue


The Black Chrome, E43 Summilux-M 50mm ASPH has been calling to me, aesthetically, for a while, even though I have a standard Summilux-M 50mm ASPH, which was the first M lens that I bought, when I started rangefinder shooting. My M 246 and M10 Leica cameras are Black Chrome, so, I never developed a personal, hands-on fondness for Black Paint, and something “just seems right” about Black Chrome.


May 25, 2022 at 11:00 AM
Fred Miranda
Offline
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Leica 50mm f/1.4 Summilux 'black chrome' hood issue


highdesertmesa wrote:
The only filters found by people posing in the super-long Leica Forum thread about the issue that would work was one no-name Chinese brand filter, something I definitely would not put in front of glass like the 50 Lux. No major brand with decent glass in the filter would work. There were a lot of filters tried.

The method of dropping in the filter on top of the hood and screwing them in together does work. It pinches the bottom tabs between the bottom of the filter ring and the lens when tightened. The filter can never be fully screwed down
...Show more

I think it's not that heavy considering the black-chrome brass construction. Lens bare, I think it's only 50g heavier than the black anodized version. The latter has a built-in hood though but I don't find it effective. The heaviest 50/1.4 Lux ASPH. lens is the silver brass version (11892).

I love focus tab but I think it's more useful with wide angle lenses. At 50mm and longer, I prefer to focus without a tab. The problem is that I already have a great copy of the 50/1.4 Lux so it will be interesting to see how they compare. I'm worry that the black-chrome has higher optical vignetting since the front diameter is smaller.



May 25, 2022 at 11:41 AM
 


Search in Used Dept. 

Fred Miranda
Offline
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Leica 50mm f/1.4 Summilux 'black chrome' hood issue


highdesertmesa wrote:
One other thing I will mention about the BC is sample variation. My first copy was the Portugal version (which annoyingly but understandably omits some of the cool engraving on the lens hood that mentions Germany), and at close distance the center was sharp, but the mid-frame and edges were horrible, terrible, very bad, and not good. The second copy was the German version, and it was perfect. As you know, the lens is softer at mid-frame and edges at close distance wide open, but my first copy was way far off from acceptable.


The 50/1.4 lux is actually sharp at the corners. The issue is that is has a curvature towards the very edges. So, focusing at center won't give the best corners when shooting at wide apertures.

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1707236/4#15845549



May 25, 2022 at 11:42 AM
highdesertmesa
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Leica 50mm f/1.4 Summilux 'black chrome' hood issue


Fred Miranda wrote:
The 50/1.4 lux is actually sharp at the corners. The issue is that is has a curvature towards the very edges. So, focusing at center won't give the best corners when shooting at wide apertures.

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1707236/4#15845549


Yes, it's only soft at mid-frame and corners at f/1.4 and close distance when focusing in the center. But my first copy at close distance and f/1.4, I couldn't get the mid frame or corners in sharp focus even when focusing directly in those places – second copy would focus acceptably there.



May 25, 2022 at 11:52 AM
highdesertmesa
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Leica 50mm f/1.4 Summilux 'black chrome' hood issue


Fred Miranda wrote:
I think it's not that heavy considering the black-chrome brass construction. Lens bare, I think it's only 50g heavier than the black anodized version. The latter has a built-in hood though but I don't find it effective. The heaviest 50/1.4 Lux ASPH. lens is the silver brass version (11892).

I love focus tab but I think it's more useful with wide angle lenses. At 50mm and longer, I prefer to focus without a tab. The problem is that I already have a great copy of the 50/1.4 Lux so it will be interesting to see how they compare. I'm worry
...Show more

More dense than heavy. The tiny 28 Summaron re-issue is the same way – not technically "heavy" by the numbers, but it feels really dense to hold.



May 25, 2022 at 11:54 AM
Desmolicious
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Leica 50mm f/1.4 Summilux 'black chrome' hood issue


Fred Miranda wrote:
. Lens bare, I think it's only 50g heavier than the black anodized version. The latter has a built-in hood though but I don't find it effective. The heaviest 50/1.4 Lux ASPH. lens is the silver brass version (11892)...


Not meaning to take this off on a tangent, but the lens hood on my 50 Asph only pulls out a tiny way. Frankly, it seems silly. Is yours the same? When I first got it, I was 'that's it?'



May 25, 2022 at 12:41 PM
Fred Miranda
Offline
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Leica 50mm f/1.4 Summilux 'black chrome' hood issue


Desmolicious wrote:
Not meaning to take this off on a tangent, but the lens hood on my 50 Asph only pulls out a tiny way. Frankly, it seems silly. Is yours the same? When I first got it, I was 'that's it?'


Yes, that's why I think its built-in hood, although convenient, is not very effective compared to dedicated hood designs.



May 25, 2022 at 02:16 PM
Desmolicious
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Leica 50mm f/1.4 Summilux 'black chrome' hood issue


Fred Miranda wrote:
Yes, that's why I think its built-in hood, although convenient, is not very effective compared to dedicated hood designs.


It's strange because the built in hood on my latest version Summicron M 50 is just fine - it pulls out a decent amount as one would frankly expect.



May 25, 2022 at 02:25 PM
genji
Online
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Leica 50mm f/1.4 Summilux 'black chrome' hood issue


highdesertmesa wrote:
The feel of the BC is in a league of its own – super dense all brass with the nice texture of black chrome. This is probably the last black chrome lens Leica will ever sell new since they are moving to the black textured paint like the M11 and limited edition 28 Cron that just came out. Something about the black chroming process was not environmentally conscious enough for Leica. The BC focusing ring is incredible, and the aperture ring was really great, too. I find this design much easier to focus than tabbed lenses like my 28 Lux, but
...Show more

I own the BC 50 Lux and I briefly had the Black Matte 28 Cron and IMO the Cron’s black textured paint looks and feels cheap & nasty compared to the Lux’s black chrome.

---------------------------------------------

RexGig0 wrote:
The Black Chrome, E43 Summilux-M 50mm ASPH has been calling to me, aesthetically, for a while, even though I have a standard Summilux-M 50mm ASPH, which was the first M lens that I bought, when I started rangefinder shooting. My M 246 and M10 Leica cameras are Black Chrome, so, I never developed a personal, hands-on fondness for Black Paint, and something “just seems right” about Black Chrome.


I never had strong feelings towards or against black paint until I held a Black Paint MP. Now I’d really like to have one.

---------------------------------------------

Fred Miranda wrote:
I love focus tab but I think it's more useful with wide angle lenses. At 50mm and longer, I prefer to focus without a tab. The problem is that I already have a great copy of the 50/1.4 Lux so it will be interesting to see how they compare. I'm worry that the black-chrome has higher optical vignetting since the front diameter is smaller.


I bought my BC 50 Lux rather than the standard model specifically because I had a strong dislike of focus tabs generally. But I’ve since warmed to them and now much prefer them on wide angle lenses.

---------------------------------------------

Desmolicious wrote:
It's strange because the built in hood on my latest version Summicron M 50 is just fine - it pulls out a decent amount as one would frankly expect.


But don’t you find the Cron 50 v5’s built in hood retracts at the slightest bump? The 50 APO has a twist and lock hood like the 75 APO’s.



May 25, 2022 at 03:19 PM
highdesertmesa
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Leica 50mm f/1.4 Summilux 'black chrome' hood issue


genji wrote:
I own the BC 50 Lux and I briefly had the Black Matte 28 Cron and IMO the Cron’s black textured paint looks and feels cheap & nasty compared to the Lux’s black chrome....


I like the black paint just fine on the M11, but black chrome on brass is sublime by comparison. I wondered how the M11 black paint would translate to a lens – sounds like "yuck" is the answer for some




May 25, 2022 at 03:54 PM
genji
Online
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Leica 50mm f/1.4 Summilux 'black chrome' hood issue


highdesertmesa wrote:
I like the black paint just fine on the M11, but black chrome on brass is sublime by comparison. I wondered how the M11 black paint would translate to a lens – sounds like "yuck" is the answer for some


Yep, “yuck” accurately sums up my response, which would probably extend to the M11 too (though TBH I haven’t handled one).



May 25, 2022 at 03:59 PM
highdesertmesa
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Leica 50mm f/1.4 Summilux 'black chrome' hood issue


genji wrote:
Yep, “yuck” accurately sums up my response, which would probably extend to the M11 too (though TBH I haven’t handled one).


The M11 black is not nearly as nice as the M10 variant's black chrome, not even close. But I do like it better than my Q2 Reporter's paint, which was supposed to be the same paint in a different color. One thing about the M11 black paint is – the drier your hands/finger are, the more rough and strange the finish will seem.

Since they were ditching black chrome, I would have preferred they used the Q-P's soft-feel matte black paint on the M11, but I think the current M11 paint will be more durable.



May 25, 2022 at 04:12 PM
1
       2       end






FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1
       2       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password