Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1
       2       3       end
  

pulled 5D off the shelf for 1st time in 2022. it's still WOW!

  
 
robfilms
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · pulled 5D off the shelf for 1st time in 2022. it's still WOW!


i needed to charge the 5D battery.

there was a CF card in there from November 2021.

i do like the images that come from the camera.

i got this camera off CL with a small smudge on the sensor.

i did bring it to canon in nj for a cleaning and they told me it was a scratch.

but the mirror had been reinforced and there was barely, i think, 20k shutter actuations.

you can barely see the scratch at 5.6 but can see it more clearly in sky pix by f8.

oh, well and that's why i photograph people at f4 and wider!

i put on the EF 85/1.8 and shot some window lit kitchen still lifes.

so pretty.

can "sharpness" be slightly over-rated?

put on the cheapo EF 50/1.8 STM.

images are really nice. creamy.

went to the EF 35/2 and wide open still liking the pix.

i often think about selling the 5D but with a scratched sensor it would be worth near nothing.

but if you photograph at f4 and wider, well for me...WOW!

thumbs up.

rob



May 24, 2022 at 02:52 PM
jedibrain
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · pulled 5D off the shelf for 1st time in 2022. it's still WOW!


Sounds like you got a good deal for yourself. The 5d still looks as good today as it did when it was taking the world by storm.

Bria



May 24, 2022 at 10:32 PM
bcguy
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · pulled 5D off the shelf for 1st time in 2022. it's still WOW!


I still like my 5D, although I don't use it much anymore.

I'm probably less nostalgic than most, because it was my only camera only a couple years ago.

Edited on May 26, 2022 at 10:50 AM · View previous versions



May 25, 2022 at 10:34 AM
artsupreme
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · pulled 5D off the shelf for 1st time in 2022. it's still WOW!


The 5D is still a very capable camera today and will hold it's own in good lighting against the latest and greatest bodies.


May 25, 2022 at 10:37 AM
gdanmitchell
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · pulled 5D off the shelf for 1st time in 2022. it's still WOW!


artsupreme wrote:
The 5D is still a very capable camera today and will hold it's own in good lighting against the latest and greatest bodies.


I had the 5D and used it a ton.

At the time it was an extremely important product when it was introduced 17 years ago — the first "low cost" (by comparison to the 1-series) full frame camera. For those who wanted the larger sensor, particularly for folks like landscape photographers who didn't need speed or 1-series ruggedness, it was a game-changer. It was the camera that convinced me to get full frame.

It is as good now as it was then.

But that was then and this is now.

I would not say that it "holds its own against the latest and greatest bodies." I've had a couple of later cameras in the 5D series since that time, and each of them them improved on that original camera in significant ways: the inclusion of dust-management technologies (a big problem with the 5D!), addition of video, better performance at higher ISO (related: better noise performance), much improved AF, high MP sensors, and more.

Dan




May 25, 2022 at 11:22 AM
artsupreme
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · pulled 5D off the shelf for 1st time in 2022. it's still WOW!


gdanmitchell wrote:
I had the 5D and used it a ton.

At the time it was an extremely important product when it was introduced 17 years ago — the first "low cost" (by comparison to the 1-series) full frame camera. For those who wanted the larger sensor, particularly for folks like landscape photographers who didn't need speed or 1-series ruggedness, it was a game-changer. It was the camera that convinced me to get full frame.

It is as good now as it was then.

But that was then and this is now.

I would not say that it "holds its own against the latest and
...Show more

I hear you I've owned them all and the newer bodies just make it easier to get the end result. For stills in good light, you wouldn't see much of a difference of the final images posted here on FM if we rewound many years back to the days of the 5D image threads. It can still capture all the action shots and BIF shots but it was just much much more difficult to get the keepers. And yes, dust spots on the sensors were not fun with any of the old bodies.

Edited on May 25, 2022 at 11:38 AM · View previous versions



May 25, 2022 at 11:35 AM
esanchez
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · pulled 5D off the shelf for 1st time in 2022. it's still WOW!


I still have mine and take it out now and then for the nostalgia feeling. No auto ISO, not EVF just a plain raw photo taking camera. And yes the files still look amazing for it's age. I put on the 40mm 2.8 and Canon 100mm F2 and takes amazing photos.


May 25, 2022 at 11:38 AM
artsupreme
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · pulled 5D off the shelf for 1st time in 2022. it's still WOW!


esanchez wrote:
I still have mine and take it out now and then for the nostalgia feeling. No auto ISO, not EVF just a plain raw photo taking camera. And yes the files still look amazing for it's age. I put on the 40mm 2.8 and Canon 100mm F2 and takes amazing photos.


Yep, required a little more skill and attention to detail back then, but the end result of portraits for example aren't much different than those of an R5 except for some resolution.



May 25, 2022 at 11:39 AM
Ray Swindle
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · pulled 5D off the shelf for 1st time in 2022. it's still WOW!


I shot and printed my all time favorite photo taken with the 5D. This is printed 24" x 36" canvas wrap and hangs in my family room. This is the tall ship Elissa docked in Galveston harbor with the causeway in the background. Sadly, someone stole my 5D several years ago.







Edited on May 25, 2022 at 11:54 AM · View previous versions



May 25, 2022 at 11:48 AM
AmbientMike
Online
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · pulled 5D off the shelf for 1st time in 2022. it's still WOW!


Definitely got some nice stuff out of the 5D. Some think the colors are better, & I'm not really inclined to argue.

Yes, there have been many advances since then. But it certainly beat the aps cameras of the day. I remember looking at 1600 and 3200 iso shots. Definitely beat the 40D, which was very popular on FM . The 50/1.8 seemed much more usable, better af to use 1.8.

The weaker AA filter probably made it closer to the later and maybe even current 20mp. I blew up 5D to poster size. Better detail than aps. Still pretty usable and I've considered getting another recently



May 25, 2022 at 11:49 AM
 


Search in Used Dept. 

campy
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · pulled 5D off the shelf for 1st time in 2022. it's still WOW!


I bought one just to take to the beach.


May 25, 2022 at 06:19 PM
TeamSpeed
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · pulled 5D off the shelf for 1st time in 2022. it's still WOW!


It got noisy pretty quickly at 3200, but even then the noise was pretty smooth and very random. It certainly was a game changer in its time. Once the 7D came out, it bettered the 5D at higher ISOs, like 3200+, but that was several years past the 5D release. Also, the AA filter was either very very weak or non existent, rendering great detail.


May 25, 2022 at 06:59 PM
Shaun Nyc
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · pulled 5D off the shelf for 1st time in 2022. it's still WOW!


AmbientMike wrote:
Definitely got some nice stuff out of the 5D. Some think the colors are better, & I'm not really inclined to argue.

Yes, there have been many advances since then. But it certainly beat the aps cameras of the day. I remember looking at 1600 and 3200 iso shots. Definitely beat the 40D, which was very popular on FM . The 50/1.8 seemed much more usable, better af to use 1.8.

The weaker AA filter probably made it closer to the later and maybe even current 20mp. I blew up 5D to poster size. Better detail than aps. Still pretty usable
...Show more

There's no doubt the color palette was diff from the 5DII, sure you remember wedding photographers were scrambling to match its output. If it gets dark beyond 1600 just tripod it if you don't like grain. Sure todays bodies can focus/track on a gnats ass without your assistance but focus recompose with the original still works fine for most subjects. You have to over expose with it slightly and play by its rules. I thought I had a love affair with the D3 Nikon for all it brought but after all these years it was really the 5D.






  Canon EOS 5D    100.0 mm lens    100mm    f/10.0    1/2s    100 ISO  




May 26, 2022 at 07:19 AM
TeamSpeed
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · pulled 5D off the shelf for 1st time in 2022. it's still WOW!


I think the 20D/30D/5D all had very sharp images and good colors. Canon changed things a bit from that point forward, playing with AA filters, and starting to move toward more software-oriented processing of image data, I feel. The 40D was pretty good too, but then the 50D, 5D2, etc all went a bit wonky IMO from an IQ perspective.


May 26, 2022 at 07:29 AM
tsangc
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · pulled 5D off the shelf for 1st time in 2022. it's still WOW!


It indeed still is a great sensor and I loved the quality, especially in rendition of gradients in sky and skin in portraits. Seeing the full frame field of view was awesome.

But for those coming new to this body, some of it was brutal: The 9+6 point focusing system and the slow system response.




May 26, 2022 at 08:56 AM
gdanmitchell
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · pulled 5D off the shelf for 1st time in 2022. it's still WOW!


Shaun Nyc wrote:
There's no doubt the color palette was diff from the 5DII...


I used both the 5D and then the 5DII extensively. I did not see any kind of significant (e.g. - visible) difference in the "color palette." Often when going through my raw file archive or my collection of finished images I cannot tell whether one is from the 5D or 5DII based on any color difference. (I can tell by the noise performance, the presence of a lot of dust bunnies, and the file size.)

My theory about the "older thing was better than the current thing" is that is is s combination of belief that the "classic" version was definitive along with some (often accurate) notion that the new thing won't change our life.

My experience with the 5D, 5DII, and 5DsR has been that each generation was better than the previous, exceeding the older model's performance in almost every way and equaling it in the worst case.

Dan



May 26, 2022 at 09:03 AM
JWRisinger
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · pulled 5D off the shelf for 1st time in 2022. it's still WOW!


TeamSpeed wrote:
It got noisy pretty quickly at 3200, but even then the noise was pretty smooth and very random. It certainly was a game changer in its time. Once the 7D came out, it bettered the 5D at higher ISOs, like 3200+, but that was several years past the 5D release. Also, the AA filter was either very very weak or non existent, rendering great detail.


I'm not sure if it's this camera in particular, or any older camera body, but my old 5D higher ISO files seem to clean up really, really well with newer noise reduction. And that's using plain old Lightroom NR, nothing fancy. I didn't have my 5D for all that long, but those old images seem to have some new life in them.



May 26, 2022 at 09:18 AM
TeamSpeed
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · pulled 5D off the shelf for 1st time in 2022. it's still WOW!


Yes the noise was very uniform on that camera and would clean up. It took about 5 years maybe for other cameras, including APS-C to get to that kind of quality in ISO 3200 images.

ISO 3200 wasn't a native ISO either, if I remember, it was a digitally pushed ISO, I think the 5D maxed out at 1600 with analog ISO gain. I might be remembering incorrectly though.

Some of the green noise was a bit clumpy however depending on the light with the 5D at 3200.






May 26, 2022 at 09:22 AM
Shaun Nyc
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · pulled 5D off the shelf for 1st time in 2022. it's still WOW!


gdanmitchell wrote:
I used both the 5D and then the 5DII extensively. I did not see any kind of significant (e.g. - visible) difference in the "color palette." Often when going through my raw file archive or my collection of finished images I cannot tell whether one is from the 5D or 5DII based on any color difference. (I can tell by the noise performance, the presence of a lot of dust bunnies, and the file size.)

My theory about the "older thing was better than the current thing" is that is is s combination of belief that the "classic" version was definitive
...Show more

I'm not going to debate if the color output was different, if better, worse or whatever. I found the II wonderful myself, more mp for cropping. A usable rear screen. 1080 vid etc I felt the II was far more saturated from raw myself. The folks who shot weddings for a living and dealt w skin tones w those two bodies generated thousands of threads about it. I remember before the III was released many pro wedding folks said go back to the 5D1 profile and all will be forgiven. At the end of the day regardless of new features (mp, iso, focus tracking etc) the photographer taking the picture has to like the output file.






  Canon EOS 5D Mark II    EF85mm f/1.2L II USM lens    85mm    f/1.2    1/125s    3200 ISO    0.0 EV  




May 26, 2022 at 10:36 AM
Tom Nevesely
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · pulled 5D off the shelf for 1st time in 2022. it's still WOW!


I had the original 5D and I loved it and the only reason I upgraded to the 5D2 was because of the live view which was really, really helpful with manual focusing my tilt shift lenses and getting the tilt right. I then used the 5D2 until a couple years ago when I finally upgraded to the 5D4 which I got for the extended dynamic range and the cleaner files.


May 26, 2022 at 10:50 AM
1
       2       3       end






FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1
       2       3       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password