FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       4       end

Mirrorless D500 ?

Rimpson
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Mirrorless D500 ?

Vinnie_VdB wrote:
It is probably me but do not understand the obsession on a D500 in a Z body. Just go full frame and call it a day.

I have never been one to shoot FX in DX mode. I can see doing that for an event where I know all my images need cropping but otherwise for wildlife you never know when your subject will be to tight for DX mode.

Bottom line it is about having more subject pixels which is why it needs to be 30MP or more.

Not to mention the size. The Z9 is a brick and is too big a body for many that want to handhold. I like the size myself but my Z9 will most always be on a monopod with big glass.

May 24, 2022 at 03:49 PM
like_this
• •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Mirrorless D500 ?

like_this wrote:
We need a Z90 (a small Z9 with a DX sensor)

...and creative Z-DX Lenses! Forget the bullshit with F6.3. Who wants that? Nikon does not offer a Z-DX lens that is faster than F6.3.

Luckily there is the Ftz, even if it is very unwieldy.

I ordered the Voigtlšnder Nokton 12/23mm. (Unfortunately without AF)

May 24, 2022 at 03:49 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Mirrorless D500 ?

Rimpson wrote:
Just think what it would be like to have a 30ish MP crop body with Z9 focus attached to the 800 6.3....bring it on!

Your thoughts?

Initial reviewers that have shot with the R7 claim it has better AF than the Z9.

May 24, 2022 at 10:39 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Mirrorless D500 ?

M_XG1_82 wrote:
The R7 is a disappointment for the Canon folks that wanted a higher-end or pro'ish MILC 7Dii replacement. No vertical grip option? <cough> Z6 & Z7 <cough>

The R7 is a great mirrorless replacement for the 7D2 for me and thousands of others that will be happy with its specs, especially for $1500. And the majority will not care if there is no vertical grip option.

May 24, 2022 at 10:48 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Mirrorless D500 ?

Vinnie_VdB wrote:
It is probably me but do not understand the obsession on a D500 in a Z body. Just go full frame and call it a day.

You just donít understand why many prefer APS-C bodies over FF ones.

May 24, 2022 at 10:51 PM
Rimpson
• • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Mirrorless D500 ?

"Initial reviewers that have shot with the R7 claim it has better AF than the Z9."

That would be impressive. But I have my doubts that would be the case. IMO the problems that many have with the Z9 is trying to make shooting with it too complicated. Narrow the focus modes down to a couple or at most three and it is golden. Not all but some of my misses are on me and not the focus system.

May 24, 2022 at 11:05 PM
Vinnie_VdB
• • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Mirrorless D500 ?

Imagemaster wrote:
You just donít understand why many prefer APS-C bodies over FF ones.

Most likely it is indeed me but after shooting with a D300 and D500 did I go FX and never looked back.

May 24, 2022 at 11:30 PM
OwlsEyes
• • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Mirrorless D500 ?

ChrisMak wrote:
Neither do I, but it depends where you are, at what stage. I am 56 and now have the best years for enjoying wildlife and bird photography. I decided I will not wait for a few more years on uncertain terms for Nikon to bring out a true D500 successor. The years, in good shape and health, are starting to be worth more than money to me. I see too many people around me losing interest in travel and outdoors due to health issues or simply loss of energy or the mental condition for exploring.
Not saying that it all
...Show more

This is a well thought out response Chris.. I am in the same age demographic, and recently sold my redundant gear to buy a Z9. Since that move, I've stopped looking at the next better camera. While imperfect, the Z9 is so much camera w so much capacity for personal growth and satisfaction... I am sure the same can be said for the A1 and R3. At age 57, I am looking forward to using the gear more and more while my body allows me to be adventurous and somewhat careless.
For now, my eyes are in the search of optics rather than cameras.
While it would be great to have a Z500/Z900, this "next" camera has become decreasingly important to me.
Unfortunately, the same cannot be said for most people. The mix of price and marginal availability makes the Z9 a problematic choice. Nikon's introduction of the D500 provided the mass market with a professional camera option at an amateur camera price. While not the best selling camera in Nikon's line, its production numbers are high, and it served as a "gateway" drug into more expensive bodies like the D850 and D5. Furthermore, there are many inherent values to a DX body. For years I shot a pair of D500's w/ a 200-400 and 500PF. The DX crop offered me a tighter field of view that allowed me to think of composition during the shooting. The Z9 has made me lazy in this way, with a crop it later attitude. There is nothing more satisfying to an "old" photographer like me, than getting it right in the viewfinder. Anyway, were it non for the less expensive and professional D500 design, Nikon would have ceded many of its loyal followers to Sony and Canon.

I look forward to seeing if Nikon chooses to match the R7 model, or go for something more durable and sophisticated. With the Z50 and Z5 in their line, there is room to produce a small professional body that replaces the D500... time will tell.
As for MP... I think that a 20-24MP DX camera w/ stacked sensor would fly off the shelf in spite of the lower resolution.

bruce

May 25, 2022 at 05:34 AM
Chris Dees
• • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Mirrorless D500 ?

ChrisMak wrote:
Neither do I, but it depends where you are, at what stage. I am 56 and now have the best years for enjoying wildlife and bird photography. I decided I will not wait for a few more years on uncertain terms for Nikon to bring out a true D500 successor. The years, in good shape and health, are starting to be worth more than money to me. I see too many people around me losing interest in travel and outdoors due to health issues or simply loss of energy or the mental condition for exploring.
Not saying that it all
...Show more

All true, but if you can't spend that much money on a camera you'll have to do it with the next best.

May 25, 2022 at 06:15 AM
fjablo
• • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Mirrorless D500 ?

like_this wrote:
We need a Z90 (a small Z9 with a DX sensor)

The Fuji X-H2s will probably be a good showcase of what such a camera could look like:
26mp stacked sensor, up-to-date AF algorithms, etc.
Probably > $2.000

We'll know more about that one in a week from now.

May 25, 2022 at 06:41 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

like_this
• •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Mirrorless D500 ?

fjablo wrote:
The Fuji X-H2s will probably be a good showcase of what such a camera could look like:
26mp stacked sensor, up-to-date AF algorithms, etc.
Probably > $2.000

We'll know more about that one in a week from now.

How should the 500 pf fit to the Fuji?

Another brand is not an option.

May 25, 2022 at 08:20 AM
leewoolery
• • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Mirrorless D500 ?

ChrisMak wrote:
Not saying that it all
...Show more

In the media group I work with, everybody is over 60 and still going strong and some just turned 70 with 2 in their late 60's
and the decision to purchase Z9's was a no brainer. One of the writers is in his 80's and outworks all of us.

If the gear makes you a better sports and media photographer, age makes no difference.

You can teach that old dog new tricks...and the Z9 is proof of that.

May 25, 2022 at 09:10 AM
NissanPatrol
• • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Mirrorless D500 ?

leewoolery wrote:
In the media group I work with, everybody is over 60 and still going strong and some just turned 70 with 2 in their late 60's
and the decision to purchase Z9's was a no brainer. One of the writers is in his 80's and outworks all of us.

If the gear makes you a better sports and media photographer, age makes no difference.

You can teach that old dog new tricks...and the Z9 is proof of that.

I am 63, the Z9 does not strain my shoulder because it is close to the body, but the lens does being further away from the body.

This is the age where we should really enjoy life and spend on ourselves more generously.

May 25, 2022 at 11:39 AM
fjablo
• • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Mirrorless D500 ?

like_this wrote:

Öand I never suggested that?? Fuji will show how itís done (imo Canon didnít) and than hopefully Nikon will release a similar product at some point

The big question mark is whether there is still a big enough market to justify these kind of crop cameras. But if Fuji thinks there is enough sales for them, then surely there must be enough demand for Nikon as well

May 25, 2022 at 12:47 PM
JasonTheBirder
• •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Mirrorless D500 ?

The R7 looks great. I currently shoot the D500 + 500PF and I am patiently awaiting Nikon's answer to the R7, which I hope happens before my D500 stops working. I really do think Nikon needs to release one, because I know there are wildlife shooters besides me who would never get a Z9 or any other full-frame flagship due to cost. Well, I also would not get a Z9 due to weight and size either. I actually often carry a lot of gear besides my main birding camera and the Z9 would never work with my setup. Nikon came out with a brilliant lens, the 500PF and a Z90 that's around $2K would make a brilliant birding combination that's the same cost as a Z9 body.

BTW, It actually irritates me a lot when people say "just get a Z9 and crop", because I KNOW they know that many people can't afford that.

May 25, 2022 at 06:23 PM
Richard_M

p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Mirrorless D500 ?

like_this wrote:

Fringer make a nice adapter which I've used with the 500 pf
https://www.fringeradapter.com/nikon-f-to-fujifilm-x

May 25, 2022 at 06:48 PM
ChrisMak
• • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Mirrorless D500 ?

JasonTheBirder wrote:
The R7 looks great. I currently shoot the D500 + 500PF and I am patiently awaiting Nikon's answer to the R7, which I hope happens before my D500 stops working. I really do think Nikon needs to release one, because I know there are wildlife shooters besides me who would never get a Z9 or any other full-frame flagship due to cost. Well, I also would not get a Z9 due to weight and size either. I actually often carry a lot of gear besides my main birding camera and the Z9 would never work with my setup. Nikon came
...Show more

I am no longer in the market for a mirrorless D500 replacement, but I can see the attraction for 500PF users. I wonder though if Nikon users would want a possible "Z900" to take the approach of the Canon R7, which is essentially a camera that moves in the direction of the m4/3 system, where you can use smaller (cheaper) lenses and mimmick the focal length of large and expensive super telephoto lenses by using a heavy crop of a traditional full frame or aps-c sensor. Granted, Canon has the longer lenses to make use of a large part of the 1.6x crop sensor, but these are very slow lenses (RF600mm, RF800mm and RF100-500mm), so there is very little to be expected in terms of subject isolation and light gathering.
I had the 7DII+400DOII for a year or so, and I could see the attraction of that combo, although I was underwhelmed by the 7DII raw output.
A Canon R7 + RF100-500 doesn't really get me exited though, it seems explicitely targeted at a less demanding audience than the (crippled by its sensor) 7DII was, and I don't know if I would have wanted a m4/3 like Nikon Z900.

If Nikon is to make a Z900, I would greatly prefer a true small flagship, with a great EVF and buffer and with Nikon style pixel size and not a m4/3 mimmick.

May 26, 2022 at 03:41 AM
Bsmooth
• • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Mirrorless D500 ?

I don't think Nikon will do it at least for D500 replacement which would be a lot less money. Z9 for a lot of people is just wayy out there as far as price. I also fall into the retired and now have more time to shoot. Most bird shooters at least as far as BIF have gone to Sony. The 500 PF is what keeps me going for the D500. Its a great little camera that had its day. Its still does OK, but it misses quite a few shots, especially with lower light.
Not sure about the Z9, I'm sure its great and it should be for the price they charge for it. I'm going to see what sony comes out with for a mini APS-C wildlife camera If it happens.

May 27, 2022 at 08:17 PM
Dbltfarmer
• •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Mirrorless D500 ?

ChrisMak wrote:
Not saying that it all
...Show more

I turn 60 in about 20 days. However, I had a heart attack last September. As a farmer i have always been fairly fit and strong. I have lost a lot of that strength. While I have been treated with stints and a pacemaker life is as usual but with some changes. With that said, I decided to get the Z9. I had two D500's and a D850 and after carrying the Z6II for a year I decided to make the switch to mirrorless and the Z9.

With that said, I find myself carrying less weight and only one camera. I generally carried two cameras for sports. One with a long telephoto and one with a shorter zoom like the 70-200 or the 24-70. The 100-400 works well and being able to use the Z9 in DX gives me even more flexibility.

What is this Trap of the Z9 that you discuss? After shooting the Z9 for 6 months I say why be trapped into using a mirrorless crop sensor camera. It is limiting in what you can do.

Life aint over at 60. Life just looks a little different and its up to enjoy it in whatever way we wish.

© Dbltfarmer 2022

NIKON Z 9    AF-S NIKKOR 500mm f/5.6E PF ED VR lens    500mm    f/5.6    1/1250s    400 ISO    0.0 EV  

© Dbltfarmer 2022

NIKON Z 9    NIKKOR Z 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 VR S Z TC-2.0x lens    800mm    f/11.0    1/250s    500 ISO    +1.0 EV  

© Dbltfarmer 2022

NIKON Z 9    AF-S NIKKOR 500mm f/5.6E PF ED VR lens    500mm    f/5.6    1/1250s    400 ISO    0.0 EV  

May 27, 2022 at 09:26 PM
ChrisMak
• • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Mirrorless D500 ?

Dbltfarmer wrote:
I turn 60 in about 20 days. However, I had a heart attack last September. As a farmer i have always been fairly fit and strong. I have lost a lot of that strength. While I have been treated with stints and a pacemaker life is as usual but with some changes. With that said, I decided to get the Z9. I had two D500's and a D850 and after carrying the Z6II for a year I decided to make the switch to mirrorless and the Z9.

With that said, I find myself carrying less weight and only one camera.
...Show more

Sorry to hear about your condition and hope you recover well. I hear similar stories in my surroundings, and it does have an effect on my personal outlook, even though I am currently in good health still.
About the luring trap of the Z9, that was meant tongue in cheek. Nikon users don't have many BIF or other action options yet, no gripless portable body, no aps-c option. So even if you don't want a Z9 like body, you simply have no other options yet.
Canon now has a traditional flagship R3 (although low res) , a R5 portable full frame option, and the R7.

My guess is that Nikon will not come with another action/birding camera soon and it is also a personal consideration, because I see the 800PF as a very attractive option, but would not know what body to put it on because I cycle and hike a lot, and 3,5 kg for a combo is a kind of threshold beyond which things start to get cumbersome, also for prolonged handheld shooting.

May 28, 2022 at 02:45 AM
       3       4       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       4       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password