New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

X100V Accessories

stuuke
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · X100V Accessories

I looked for previous threads but didn't find much. I have a hood and UV filter. The next thing I'm looking at are half cases, straps and the thumb grip. For those using thumb grips how do you like them? Any half case suggestions? I found a few on Etsy I like but I've never purchased anything on there before. Thanks.

May 23, 2022 at 10:22 PM
Jun Zhou
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · X100V Accessories

I have lensmate thumb rest, so I can fold it when I need to adjust something. not sure about the half case coz i bought a $17 X100v skins from Amazon. in addition, I also have peak design strap, and I like it .

May 24, 2022 at 09:56 AM
stuuke
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · X100V Accessories

Do you feel the lensmate grip is worth the expense?

Jun Zhou wrote:
I have lensmate thumb rest, so I can fold it when I need to adjust something. not sure about the half case coz i bought a $17 X100v skins from Amazon. in addition, I also have peak design strap, and I like it .

May 24, 2022 at 11:26 AM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · X100V Accessories

stuuke wrote:
I looked for previous threads but didn't find much. I have a hood and UV filter. The next thing I'm looking at are half cases, straps and the thumb grip. For those using thumb grips how do you like them? Any half case suggestions? I found a few on Etsy I like but I've never purchased anything on there before. Thanks.

Some advice: Hold off on buying these accessories of marginal or questionable value. It is easy to get pulled into the buying process with a new camera, but most people aren't going to need or benefit from these things. Shoot for a while — a lot — and decide whether you really need these things.

FWIW, I've used these small Fujifilm cameras (XE and XPro) for ten years, and I can't imagine putting a fake film-advance lever on them. And while I'm nostalgic about the leather cases. the old cameras I owned decades ago, I'd rather not put such at thing on these cameras.

YMMV,

Dan

May 24, 2022 at 11:37 AM
Jun Zhou
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · X100V Accessories

stuuke wrote:
Do you feel the lensmate grip is worth the expense?

lensmate needs a small tweak to make it snug fit into the hotshoe. The build quality is great IMO. oh, I also got the extra battery and USB battery charger from nitecore. well designed products and new user gets 15% off.

May 24, 2022 at 02:08 PM
mdude85
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · X100V Accessories

gdanmitchell wrote:
FWIW, I've used these small Fujifilm cameras (XE and XPro) for ten years, and I can't imagine putting a fake film-advance lever on them. And while I'm nostalgic about the leather cases. the old cameras I owned decades ago, I'd rather not put such at thing on these cameras.

YMMV,

Dan

It's not a fake film advance lever, it's a thumb rest.

May 24, 2022 at 02:17 PM
Jun Zhou
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · X100V Accessories

IMO, if u get the half case, then u don't need the thumb rest.

May 24, 2022 at 02:29 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · X100V Accessories

mdude85 wrote:
It's not a fake film advance lever, it's a thumb rest.

That would never have existed if it weren't emulating the film advance lever on 35mm film cameras, a few of which I owned. :-)

May 24, 2022 at 10:14 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

mdude85
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · X100V Accessories

gdanmitchell wrote:

That would never have existed if it weren't emulating the film advance lever on 35mm film cameras, a few of which I owned. :-)

But you’ve never owned the thumb rest.

May 25, 2022 at 08:11 AM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · X100V Accessories

mdude85 wrote:
But you’ve never owned the thumb rest.

Nor would I.

Again, I used a bunch of 35mm film cameras with the film advance lever in that exact position. I was used to the feel of it back in those days a couple of decades ago. If that helped me handle the camera better I would add it to the Fujifilm cameras I've owned during the past decade. But I don't miss it one bit.

There are lots of little doodads that folks market for new cameras, things thatat attract new camera buyers who are in the buying mode and want to get these little things that they just have to have: special screw-in shutter release buttons, thumb rests, UV filters, camera body wraps, leather half-cases, screen protectors, and so on.

My view is that these are almost always not necessary or helpful. Note that I did not say, "Don't buy this!" (Though, if asked directly, that would be my answer.) I said to hold off for a while, use the camera, and reevaluate whether you really need such things. You probably won't.

(And, yes, you'll find someone out there who likes these things, despite the fact that only a tiny minority of camera owners use them. Hence my advice to hold off and see if you are among that small group...)

Dan

May 25, 2022 at 09:53 AM
mdude85
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · X100V Accessories

stuuke wrote:

I know few thumb rests have been reviewed on Youtube that you can look up. I haven't used a thumb rest personally but I can see how it might be useful for one-handed shooting.

I have a simple leather strap which uses Peak design anchors (sewn into the strap). I don't use Peak Design straps because I like the offerings from some of the smaller brands out there -- but the anchors come in pretty handy if you need to take off the strap quickly either in use, for storage, transport, or for using the same strap on multiple cameras. The anchor hardware is also much more aesthetically pleasing to me than all the hardware, loops and excess strap material associated with traditional straps. It looks pretty nice with the simple, vintage-y aesthetic of the X100V.

https://cleversupply.co/products/minimal-anchor-camera-strap-peak?variant=32826600784007

May 25, 2022 at 10:34 AM
Jun Zhou
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · X100V Accessories

I vote for Lensmate thumb rest, I love it on my camera because I can grip my camera easily. without the thumb rest, its hard to grip it.

May 26, 2022 at 07:16 PM
stuuke
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · X100V Accessories

I had the original X100 and customizing it certainly wasn't necessary but I enjoyed it for a camera that I used for personal use. A half case doesn't offer much protection but some do have a builtin grip on them. I've never tried the thumbgrip but they seem popular for this camera. I do like the leather peak design straps and I definitely need another battery.

May 26, 2022 at 07:40 PM
derKoekje
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · X100V Accessories

gdanmitchell wrote:
Some advice: Hold off on buying these accessories of marginal or questionable value. It is easy to get pulled into the buying process with a new camera, but most people aren't going to need or benefit from these things. Shoot for a while — a lot — and decide whether you really need these things.

FWIW, I've used these small Fujifilm cameras (XE and XPro) for ten years, and I can't imagine putting a fake film-advance lever on them. And while I'm nostalgic about the leather cases. the old cameras I owned decades ago, I'd rather not put such at thing on these
...Show more

It's definitely advice that rings true for 'professional' cameras but in this case the X100V is as much a style thing as it is a camera (and I'm fine with that), so if some accessories make the camera feel more personal for you then I say go for it. Whatever gets you to bring your camera with you more often.

May 27, 2022 at 06:08 AM
padrelar
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · X100V Accessories

When I shot Fuji I found the thumb rest invaluable for shooting and carrying the X-Pro1 one-handed but not so the X-T1. Largely I think it is dependent on camera shape, your hands and even the condition of your hands- arthritic or not, etc. It is good advice to go stock, shoot a bit, and listen what your hands are telling you before buying.

May 27, 2022 at 07:33 AM

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password