• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Canon EOS R10 preview

stelo wrote:

24MP APS-C

12FPS mechanical (14 bit RAW)

23FPS electronic (12 bit RAW)

1200 USD?

Yeah hopefully that includes a lens if it's USD.

May 23, 2022 at 09:28 PM
johnctharp
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Canon EOS R10 preview

...and no IBIS for the R10.

It's almost 200g lighter, but lacks enough features that it's a hard sell for a 'generalist' camera.

May 23, 2022 at 09:53 PM
Mike_5D
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Canon EOS R10 preview

Fro says the R10 is $979 which makes more sense if the R7 is $1499. Better dump your RP's now before the price craters.

May 24, 2022 at 12:04 AM
stelo
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Canon EOS R10 preview

https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canon-eos-r10-initial-review

Canon has announced the R10, a 24MP entry-level APS-C mirrorless camera for the RF mount. It arrives alongside a more expensive R7 sister model and looks a lot like a replacement for parts of the company's classic 'Rebel/XX0D' DSLRs.
Key Specifications

24MP APS-C CMOS sensor with Dual Pixel AF
Up to 23fps shooting (15 with mech shutter)
Oversampled 4K up to 30p, 4K/60p with crop
True HDR video as 10-bit 'PQ' footage
2.36M dot OLED viewfinder
1.4M dot fully-articulating rear touchscreen
Single UHS-II SD slot
Built-in pop-up flash

The EOS R10 will be available, body-only, for a recommended selling price of $979. Kit options include a bundle with the compact, collapsible 18-45mm F4.5-6.3 IS STM for $1099 or with the 18-150mm F3.5-6.3 IS STM for around $1379.

May 24, 2022 at 12:25 AM
PicGuy
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Canon EOS R10 preview

While I think the R7 is priced well, I don't think the same of the R10. Without IBIS, decent buffer, 24mp FSI sensor and low res EVF it is more of an $800 camera, IMO.

May 24, 2022 at 12:42 AM
Zenon Char
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Canon EOS R10 preview

Both announced. I'd be more interested in the R10 unless you can turn IBIS off with the R7. No Blackout? Can't find info on that yet.

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/products/details/cameras/eos-dslr-and-mirrorless-cameras/mirrorless/eos-r10

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/products/details/cameras/eos-dslr-and-mirrorless-cameras/mirrorless/eos-r7

May 24, 2022 at 09:44 AM
J Williams
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Canon EOS R10 preview

Mike_5D wrote:
Fro says the R10 is $979 which makes more sense if the R7 is $1499. Better dump your RP's now before the price craters.

No way. Basically, same price for R10 or RP. One has a FF sensor and decent VF while the other is APSC and a rather small (0.59x) VF.

Admittedly the R10 has some nice upgrades in AF and video if you need them. They're not that important to me. I think I'll keep my RP.

I might pickup the 18-45 kit lens for my RP one day if I can find a good price on a used one just to have a small camera/lens with a zoom. I'll still be using an APSC sensor area and it will do whatever I'd want for that type of setup.

May 24, 2022 at 11:49 AM
bman212121

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Canon EOS R10 preview

PicGuy wrote:
While I think the R7 is priced well, I don't think the same of the R10. Without IBIS, decent buffer, 24mp FSI sensor and low res EVF it is more of an $800 camera, IMO.

If anything I'd wager they know that it's overpriced for what it is. For the market segment this is targeting, it seems like a better marketing strategy to release it high so they can offer "discounts" much sooner than they have on other cameras. Unlike the R5 where they can hold onto one price, it's unlikely that strategy would work in this market segment. If it sits at $979 until the holidays then gets an $899 price tag it will probably sell better than it would if it was simply priced $899. (It will likely be $999 with a kit lens)

In either case this is still a couple hundred dollars more than the predecessor, so it seems like the potential buyers of this camera is a much more niche audience than previously. I can't see people who picked up $400 - $500 T3i cameras even interested at $1,000+. I'm having a hard time understanding who this camera is for, other than maybe it serves as an entry point for you to realize you should just buy an R7 instead if you're interesting in buying a dedicated camera.

May 24, 2022 at 12:27 PM
Mike_5D
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Canon EOS R10 preview

J Williams wrote:
No way. Basically, same price for R10 or RP. One has a FF sensor and decent VF while the other is APSC and a rather small (0.59x) VF.

Admittedly the R10 has some nice upgrades in AF and video if you need them. They're not that important to me. I think I'll keep my RP.

I might pickup the 18-45 kit lens for my RP one day if I can find a good price on a used one just to have a small camera/lens with a zoom. I'll still be using an APSC sensor area and it will do whatever I'd
...Show more

Actually being able to AF in 4K and track moving subjects for stills is a huge improvement over the RP for most users.

May 24, 2022 at 12:29 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Mike_5D
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Canon EOS R10 preview

bman212121 wrote:
If anything I'd wager they know that it's overpriced for what it is. For the market segment this is targeting, it seems like a better marketing strategy to release it high so they can offer "discounts" much sooner than they have on other cameras. Unlike the R5 where they can hold onto one price, it's unlikely that strategy would work in this market segment. If it sits at $979 until the holidays then gets an $899 price tag it will probably sell better than it would if it was simply priced $899. (It will likely be $999 with a kit
...Show more

The R10 could be a very nice second camera for a lot of existing Canon shooters. Since the R7 didn't pan out how I'd hoped, I'm actually more interested in the R10 as a secondary and video camera. Small and light counts in that role.

May 24, 2022 at 12:32 PM
bman212121

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Canon EOS R10 preview

Secondary camera for what other body? If it's not a backup for an R7 I'd wonder what scenarios it would backup for an R6 or higher. No IBIS, uses a different battery type, doesn't have dual card slots, no mention of weather sealing. It does have fast shutter and should have enough MP, but we don't quite have details around all of the little things that may make or break it. Can you power it via USB-C? Is it USB-C? What about shutter release? Do you need a different cable to use these versus your main body? There are a lot of unknowns where you might have used an APS-C type body that was previously compatible which might not be the case now.

May 24, 2022 at 01:00 PM
Mike_5D
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Canon EOS R10 preview

bman212121 wrote:
Secondary camera for what other body? If it's not a backup for an R7 I'd wonder what scenarios it would backup for an R6 or higher. No IBIS, uses a different battery type, doesn't have dual card slots, no mention of weather sealing. It does have fast shutter and should have enough MP, but we don't quite have details around all of the little things that may make or break it. Can you power it via USB-C? Is it USB-C? What about shutter release? Do you need a different cable to use these versus your main body? There are a
...Show more

It doesn't have the match the primary cameras in every respect. Lack of IBIS isn't the end of the world most of the time. The AF looks good. I don't know about powering via USB-C but I believe it will charge via USB-C PD. The shutter release is likely the same as the R6 but of course there's always the app. I have an R6 and a GH3 that comes out when I need two cameras. I'd really like to consolidate to Canon but keeping the size and cost down is important. The R10 with the dual pixel II AF might fit the bill.

May 24, 2022 at 01:09 PM
PicGuy
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Canon EOS R10 preview

bman212121 wrote:
If anything I'd wager they know that it's overpriced for what it is. For the market segment this is targeting, it seems like a better marketing strategy to release it high so they can offer "discounts" much sooner than they have on other cameras. Unlike the R5 where they can hold onto one price, it's unlikely that strategy would work in this market segment. If it sits at $979 until the holidays then gets an $899 price tag it will probably sell better than it would if it was simply priced $899. (It will likely be $999 with a kit
...Show more

I think Canon is following their previous strategies in initially overpricing cameras like the R10 to justify more buyers spending an extra $500 to get a pricier model like the R7. This way they push more people to the more profitable camera. Then later they will drop the R10's price to mop up the ones who were waiting on the price to drop.

May 24, 2022 at 01:18 PM
bman212121

p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Canon EOS R10 preview

Mike_5D wrote:
It doesn't have the match the primary cameras in every respect. Lack of IBIS isn't the end of the world most of the time. The AF looks good. I don't know about powering via USB-C but I believe it will charge via USB-C PD. The shutter release is likely the same as the R6 but of course there's always the app. I have an R6 and a GH3 that comes out when I need two cameras. I'd really like to consolidate to Canon but keeping the size and cost down is important. The R10 with the dual pixel II AF
...Show more

Keeping size and cost down either choice would help for that versus having two systems you have now. I'm just thinking of the most basic scenarios and it seems like the difference between the two ends up being even smaller than it seems. If you use the GH3 primarily stand alone with a small prime lens then I can see that as being the most portable solution. If you're going to pair the R10 with an RF lens you already own, you will likely be trading off some of the weight by having heavier lens than you would have on MFT. If you're going out with both cameras, right now you probably go out with 3 or more lens, where you could go out with say a prime and a telephoto and swap back and forth as needed. But space in the bag you'll be throwing in an extra battery and charger specific to the R10 you might not need with an R7. You probably also need to buy a spare battery or two, so that adds some additional cost if you already have everything you need from your R6.

May 24, 2022 at 05:46 PM
Tom Nevesely
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Canon EOS R10 preview

With the price of the R10 being what it is, I don't think that we'll see that cheap RP replacement that was rumored. I can't see a full frame camera being priced lower than a crop sensor.

What do you guys think?

May 24, 2022 at 11:09 PM
Mike_5D
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Canon EOS R10 preview

bman212121 wrote:
Keeping size and cost down either choice would help for that versus having two systems you have now. I'm just thinking of the most basic scenarios and it seems like the difference between the two ends up being even smaller than it seems. If you use the GH3 primarily stand alone with a small prime lens then I can see that as being the most portable solution. If you're going to pair the R10 with an RF lens you already own, you will likely be trading off some of the weight by having heavier lens than you would have on
...Show more

There are definitely lots of factors to consider. With Canon's FF offerings shrinking in size and Panasonic's gaining weight in the generations since the GH3, the size and weight gaps have narrowed considerably since I got the GH3 about 3 years ago. The R7 shares the battery with the R6 which is a big plus. They can share the same lenses, but with a crop factor. I was really hoping the R7 would have the same control layout as the R6. But since that's not an option short of buying another R6, I'm wondering if I should just save the cash on the R7 and get the smaller R10 instead. But then as you note, I'd need at least one more R10 battery and possibly an RF-S lens to regain some of the wider focal lengths. The RP solves the crop issue, but still uses a different battery, has a different control layout, and can't AF well in 4K.

May 24, 2022 at 11:43 PM
CelesteForza
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Canon EOS R10 preview

I would love to see a new RP with similar AF as these two croppers in the $1299 price range. Basically an R10 full frame.

May 25, 2022 at 09:48 AM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Canon EOS R10 preview

I think $1299 for an RP replacement. Maybe $1399. The RP was originally at $1299 itself, before falling to its current price.

Tom Nevesely wrote:
With the price of the R10 being what it is, I don't think that we'll see that cheap RP replacement that was rumored. I can't see a full frame camera being priced lower than a crop sensor.

What do you guys think?

May 25, 2022 at 02:15 PM
Iguana829
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Canon EOS R10 preview

bman212121 wrote:
...Show more

I think this is a replacement for the M6II as well. It's just slightly too expensive in my opinion. You're losing out on too many features compared to the R7 such as smaller battery, worse sensor etc. The video is likely very good as the autofocus seems like it will be top notch. Also, it is oversampled unlike the M6II

I am most excited to see if this means we will get cheaper RF/RF-S Glass

May 26, 2022 at 09:26 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password