FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

end

Planning a fall trip to Yellowstone NP

Older Fossil
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Planning a fall trip to Yellowstone NP

EverLearning wrote:
Art, regarding Tom Miner Basin, that sounds interesting if I do indeed get my hands on a 500 to combine with a 1.4x TC on the Canon R5. It is a short distance (about 3 miles) off Hwy 89. Do you recall if you travelled Grizzly Meadow Rd (N of Tom Miner Creek) or Tom Miner Creek Rd (S of Tom Miner Creek)? If I was just to go by the names, I would take Grizzly Meadow Rd, but that would be putting to much faith in a road name, !

You'd stay on Miner Creek Road. The most popular viewing area is just past the main entrance to the B Bar Ranch, which is about 7 miles from the turn off of Hwy 89. If your timing is good, there can be some great fall color along this road.

We were told by a local who drives down to work in Gardiner that she often saw Bighorn Sheep coming down to the river near Canyon Campground (likely in early morning), which is between Gardiner and the Tom Miner turnoff.

Art

May 29, 2022 at 03:32 PM
EverLearning
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Planning a fall trip to Yellowstone NP

If others are like me and use old threads for research, I will document a few things here. I sent e-mails to YNP and GTNP asking some specific questions. I already heard back from GTNP. Here is what they said:

"Oxbow Bend can be great for both [landscapes and wildlife]. It really just depends on when you're there and when the animals decide to be there. It can be hit or miss". They mentioned it was good for bear, elk and occasionally moose.

Best place(s) to see wildlife: "You'll probably have the best luck around Jenny and Leigh Lakes"

Trails restricted for solo hikers: "no restrictions"

Cellular service: "There is cell service in the park, it can be unreliable sometimes, but it is generally available in most of the campground areas and visitor centers."

May 31, 2022 at 10:02 AM
EverLearning
• • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Planning a fall trip to Yellowstone NP

An observation: looking at where I will be in GTNP and the best campgrounds for that, even in mid-late September those campgrounds are pretty much fully booked. I will likely book where I can get a spot and then watch for cancellations so as to switch to the more desirable (better located) campgrounds. I can only hope that it is like in Manitoba, where it is a feeding frenzy the day that reservations start and then as people solidify their plans, or life events happen, sites start showing as available again.

May 31, 2022 at 10:05 AM
EverLearning
• • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Planning a fall trip to Yellowstone NP

Again, in the spirit of sharing, questions and answers for YNP:

Best time in September: “The best time in September would be mid-month because of the elk rut activity.  You could potentially see the tail-end of the bison rut as well.”

campgrounds: "All campgrounds in Yellowstone are now reservation only so there are no first-come, first-serve campgrounds in the park." "As long as you have reserved a campsite it will be held for you until your arrival."

Trail restrictions for solo hikers: "Unless a trail is completely closed for bear activity it is not required that you hike with another person but we do strongly recommend hiking in groups, carrying bear spray, and making noise while you hike."

Lower Falls Rainbow: "I don't know the timeframe of the rainbow viewing on Lower Falls.  I know that the sun has to be at a 45* angle and you can view that by date for Canyon Village here: Sunrise and sunset times in Canyon Village (timeanddate.com)."

Cell service in YNP: "The only place for public wifi is the Albright Visitor Center at Mammoth Hot Springs near the north entrance.  Cell service is limited even with Verizon (which is the most reliable in the park)."

May 31, 2022 at 04:48 PM
EverLearning
• • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Planning a fall trip to Yellowstone NP

Well I had a real eye opener today. Having planned my trip to YNP and GTNP for mid September, and having got answers to specific questions back from the two parks, I proceeded to book my camp sites. Or, more accurately, I proceeded to attempt to book my sites. If a campground isn't booked solid, it is closed for 2022 or closes on Labor Day. In the case of Lamar Valley, the best I could have done inside the park was a 2 hour drive each way (Madison) or a 2.6 hour drive each way (Lewis Lake). I ended up booking a site in a private RV park in Gardiner (still a 45 minute drive to the west end of Lamar Valley but better than the alternative. Who needs sleep anyway). I shortened my time in Hayden Valley by a day (added it to Lamar Valley) so that I could stay in the Canyon campground instead of huge drives from a different campground. Also complicating things is their is construction off the NE entrance so several private campgrounds opted to not open this year.

Same problem with GTNP. Jenny Lake is booked solid so I booked into Signal Mountain (and even with that, I stay in a different site each night).

I don't know if I will ever get the chance to do this trip again but still, lesson learned. The sites open six months in advance and apparently are gone within minutes so you have to really plan way out in advance.

BTW, the other thing that complicates the search for sites is that not all camp sites in YNP are managed by one service. Some are booked through recreation.gov and some are booked through yellowstoneparklodges.com. It makes for a lot of bouncing around.

I hope this hopes others avoid the frustration and logistics nightmare I experienced.

Jun 01, 2022 at 10:26 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

NoarsColganny

p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Planning a fall trip to Yellowstone NP

While returning from Brisbane, we were eager to spend some time with nature. That was the moment we decided to go to Yellowstone. We had a kayaking tour in NP, which turned out awesome. We found it on their website. All the time, I was afraid to drown my Canon, lol Then we went for a hiking tour. Then I had 600 FL, which was pretty enough to capture the wildlife. We had a great time there. When we returned to Brisbane, I noticed that I missed kayaking, so I took a kayak tour nearby 5 star hotel near me. Tbh, the impression differed because at Yellowstone, I tried to catch every scent of nature, while in Brisbane, kayaking was more about speed, which was cool too. A quick tip: if you go somewhere you have never been before, you can use Airbnb to find some natives who will tell you about the best sightseeing in the city you're visiting.

Edited on Jun 27, 2022 at 05:51 AM · View previous versions

Jun 21, 2022 at 05:59 AM
EverLearning
• • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Planning a fall trip to Yellowstone NP

NoarsColganny, sounds like you had a good time. Unfortunately, with the destruction caused in the last week or so by the Yellowstone River, the park is closed. It sounds like the north part of the park, where I want to spend most of my time (Lamar Valley, Hayden Valley) will be closed through the fall so I am making alternate plans for a September trip.

Jun 21, 2022 at 09:26 AM
dalite
• • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Planning a fall trip to Yellowstone NP

I believe the park has opened the South Loop.

Jun 23, 2022 at 05:57 PM
liftedspirit
• • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Planning a fall trip to Yellowstone NP

dalite wrote:
I believe the park has opened the South Loop.

There are restrictions though - they're using a license plate system with odd numbers on license plates getting in one day and even on the other. Those with reservations go with one of the groups - can't remember which.

And obviously, this is subject to change, so I'd check before making any attempts to show up.

Jun 24, 2022 at 11:02 AM
ohagym

p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Planning a fall trip to Yellowstone NP

People with valid overnight lodging/camping reservations can enter regardless of their license plate number. You just need to show proof of the reservation at the entrance station. For other visitors, the license plate numbering determines when you can enter.

https://www.nps.gov/yell/planyourvisit/flood-recovery.htm

Jun 24, 2022 at 12:43 PM
       end

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password