New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Planning a fall trip to Yellowstone NP

EverLearning
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Planning a fall trip to Yellowstone NP

I have up to two weeks but two day drive each way (from Manitoba), which equals up to 10 days max in YNP.
I am in a small travel van (Ram Promaster 2500 professional converted into a RV); fully capable (both the RV and me) of boondocking for multiple days.

I will have a high emphasis on wildlife but will do landscape when the opportunity is there. I am an “opportunist” photographer; not targeting specific wildlife (although I would say I am targeting mammals as there is not a lot of opportunity for that where I live).

Gear:
R5, 7D MII, Canon EF 100-400 II, Canon EF 17-55 f/2.8 (maybe some night photography), Canon EF 24-105 f/4 (not planning to take but can), Canon 1.4x TC III, EF/RF control adaptor, CF tripod and Sidekick, standard misc. items
I am waiting for the Canon R500mm DO f4 or f4.5 but unlikely to be announced by September, let alone available.

Questions:
Best two week period to go in September/early October?
Best area(s) to go for wildlife: Lamar Valley? Jackson?
Are there areas that are really good for moose?
When is the elk rut?
I am not the least bit opposed to hiking; perhaps up to 8 hour hikes if the “rewards” are worth it (wildlife and or scenery). Any recommended hikes?
Note that I will be travelling by myself and therefore hiking by myself (I always carry bear spray). Any places I am not allowed to hike alone?
What campgrounds put me in/close to the best locations for early morning wildlife?
The park is huge. Are there any areas where one is allowed to sleep overnight that is not an actual campground so as to be closer to the desired location at first light?
Will 896mm (100-400 + 1.4x TC + 1.6 crop mode of R5 or the 7DM2) be enough reach? I don’t want to rent an EF 500 f/4 II at $500US/week but would be open to renting a Sigma 150-600 f/5-f6.3 OS Sport for $180US/week from Bozeman Camera if deemed truly necessary.

Feel free to comment on anything noteworthy that I have overlooked commenting on or asking about.

Thanks!

May 23, 2022 at 12:52 PM
bflood
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Planning a fall trip to Yellowstone NP

Given the time you have available, I recommend you include Grand Teton NP in your plans. While there are exceptions, you can expect to see wildlife and thermal features in Yellowstone, and wildlife and scenery in Grand Teton. There will be some fall color in Yellowstone, but the park is mostly covered in lodgepole pine. The more extensive color will be in Grand Teton.

The effective focal length you can get using your 100-400 should be pretty good, but shooting at f8 during the best sightings (usually around sunrise and sunset) will be a challenge. That's what makes the 500/4 worthwhile. Renting a 150-600 would help some, but not to a large degree. If renting a faster lens is feasible, I recommend you consider it.

If you are not experienced at shooting moving subjects at your maximum focal length, I suggest using local sports from now until your trip to practice, practice, practice. Don't wait until your big trip to try to get the hang of shooting moving targets.

Best areas (all based on just my personal experience): expect to see a lot of bison, and a fair amount of elk in Grand Teton. Ask at the visitor center at Moose junction where bears and moose have been seen in the past 2-3 days. When these animals find something to eat that they like, they usually go back there to feed some more. Look for pronghorn on the east side of US89 as you get up near Moran Junction in GTNP. The elk bulls may take their harems into seclusion during the rut, but they give away their locations by bugling - that gives you a way to track them down, but don't get too close - those bulls will be seriously out of sorts during the rut. My best luck finding bears in GTNP has been along Moose-Wilson road. The moose I have found have been along the Snake River pretty close to that visitor center and in the part of the valley called Gros Ventre (pronounced "grow-van" by the locals). The only eagles I've found in several trips have been along the Oxbow Bend of the Snake River. The area along the road between GTNP and YNP (a few miles) can also be good for fall color, bears, and elk.

In YNP, the area along the Madison River between Madison Jct and West Yellowstone is good for bison, elk, and coyotes. Expect to find bison and elk in the Lamar Valley and Hayden Valley. Finding wolves is a special case - asking at visitor centers can help. There's a bunch of folks who are real fans of the wolves and follow them every day. They split up and talk to each other usually by walkie-talkie. If you come upon a group of folks, look to see if they are watching wolves. If any of them has a walkie-talkie, ask if they or another group has seen any - they usually are happy to share what they know.

Driving - early in the morning, there are spots along the roads in both parks where deer, elk, etc like to cross when there's little light. They wander across the pavement like they own the place (and they do). Keep and eye out for them, and stick to posted speed limits or less - they can be a huge surprise and a real danger.

In Yellowstone, look for bighorn sheep in the rocky hills between Mammoth Hot Springs and the north entrance. I've also seen moose along that road. I have found bighorn and deer along the road between Yellowstone Lake and the east entrance.

May 23, 2022 at 11:11 PM
Older Fossil
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Planning a fall trip to Yellowstone NP

Mid September to mid October is probably our favorite time to visit. Snow is possible just about any month, but by late October the chances get much higher. Be aware that the shoulder seasons in Yellowstone are getting more crowded. We were there for the months of September 2020 and May 2021 and found it very busy. We later found out that these months had set new visitation records. Try to get through the entrance gates very early to avoid the backups. For wildlife, we spend a lot of time looking between Mammoth Hot Springs and Cooke City (includes the Lamar Valley), the Hayden Valley and between West Yellowstone and Madison Junction. We found that the small subscription ($20/year) for https://www.yellowstonereports.com/ is well worth it to get current wildlife sighting reports from regular wildlife watchers. With your van, I'd recommend trying to get into the Slough Creek and Pebble Creek campgrounds in the Lamar Valley.

I'd also recommend saving a few days to visit Grand Teton National Park for both wildlife and scenery. You can find some very nice fall colors if you time it right.

HTH,
Art

May 24, 2022 at 07:54 AM
EverLearning
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Planning a fall trip to Yellowstone NP

bflood, thank you for the detailed reply. Very helpful! Given that I enjoy landscape but really focus on wildlife, what might be a reasonable split of my time between the two parks (likely 10 days total)? Regarding focal length, I have read on FM people talking about 500mm and 600mm not being long enough for wolves at times (even with TCs) but my 900mm equivalent should be good for everything else and I am more limited by the f8 starting point than by FL? I am good at tracking most things at max focal length except for fast moving birds where I am still a bit hit and miss. From what I understand, fast BIF isn't a normal find in Yellowstone or GT.

Older Fossil, thanks for the info. The Yellowstone Reports in particular sounds interesting. Does it get regular (daily or more frequent) updates such that it can be an on-site resource? Is there cell and/or wifi service in the campgrounds such that I would be able to check the reports every morning? Or is it something that I would look at just before leaving home for the parks? Also, you mentioned "You can find some very nice fall colors if you time it right." What do you consider timing it right? What is the (likely) best time for fall colors in Teton? Is this timeframe still the peak time for wildlife in Yellowstone and GT?

Thanks!

May 24, 2022 at 09:18 AM
elkhornsun
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Planning a fall trip to Yellowstone NP

Jackson Hole for moose and Yellowstone for elk and bison and rodents. Check the closure dates for roads and facilities which is in early October. Good wildlife photography outside the park, particularly around Cooke City.

Your lens kit will be OK for larger mammals but not for bears where regulations have minimum distance of 100 yards. With Canon cameras their 100-500mm would be a great lens to have.

May 24, 2022 at 01:59 PM
Older Fossil
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Planning a fall trip to Yellowstone NP

EverLearning wrote:
bflood, thank you for the detailed reply. Very helpful! Given that I enjoy landscape but really focus on wildlife, what might be a reasonable split of my time between the two parks (likely 10 days total)? Regarding focal length, I have read on FM people talking about 500mm and 600mm not being long enough for wolves at times (even with TCs) but my 900mm equivalent should be good for everything else and I am more limited by the f8 starting point than by FL? I am good at tracking most things at max focal length except for fast moving birds
...Show more

Yes the wolves are often at a long distance. That is one of the primary reasons we bought a good spotting scope. But sometimes you happen to find one nearby. If there is a carcass near the roads that the wolves are feeding on, you have a chance of one maybe 50 yards off.

The Yellowstone reports are usually reports from the previous day by one or more wildlife watchers, often reporting on different parts of the park. Sometime if someone was out really early, they will post their report later the same day. Cell service is very spotty in the park, but surprisingly there is Verizon service at the turn-off for the Slough Creek Road.

We've had some good fall color in Jackson Hole in early October. There are often moose hanging out in the Gros Ventre Campground about 12 miles NNE of Jackson.

Art

May 24, 2022 at 02:30 PM
EverLearning
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Planning a fall trip to Yellowstone NP

Thanks for the post Elkhornsun. I hadn't thought about higher elevations in the park and road closures in early October. Good to know. I am not a fan of the 100-500 because a) it is a compromised design with regards to a TC and b) selling my EF 100-400 II and then buying an RF 100-500 would be a very expensive proposition just to gain 100mm (and 2/3 stop slower at the long end). I am going to be patient and wait for the frontrunner RF 500mm DO f/4.5 (apparently there are 5 different designs out in the wild right now and this is thought to be the most likely to reach the public).

Thanks Art for the additional info.

May 24, 2022 at 09:26 PM
EverLearning
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Planning a fall trip to Yellowstone NP

I have been doing a lot more research since last posting and have an itinerary forming but I have some follow-up questions before I can firm up my plans:

1. When in September is the best time for YNP (best wildlife viewing, lowest September traffic, fall colours (in order of my priority))?
2. There are three options for entering from the north half of YNP: Cooke City, Gardiner, West Yellowstone from Bozeman down along the Gallatin River (would camp overnight somewhere around Bozeman so I could do this drive early in the morning). I am leaning towards entering via Cooke City and heading for home via Gardiner. Does this make sense? Or perhaps one of these three is so much better that it should be both my entry and exit points for the opportunities while driving in/out?
3. Like anywhere else, I would think wildlife activity would be low mid day? Options besides napping or culling photos (a few days I will be using mid day time for repositioning to new locations)?
4. Is Jackson Hole the stretch from Moran Junction/Jackson Lake Junction to Gros Ventre (or even to Jackson)?
5. From Oxbow Bend, there is the Teton Park Rd and Hwy 191 along the Snake River. Which road is better for wildlife? For landscapes? Or pretty much even and should drive one going south and the other coming back north?
6. From what I have read, Oxbow Bend is the best spot for wildlife viewing and photography. I was planning to spend two mornings and one late afternoon/evening there. Is it in fact the best spot? Is three outings there too much or very worth it (for a 10 day stay in the YNP/GTNP area)?

Thanks again!

May 26, 2022 at 11:03 AM
Older Fossil
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Planning a fall trip to Yellowstone NP

EverLearning wrote:
I have been doing a lot more research since last posting and have an itinerary forming but I have some follow-up questions before I can firm up my plans:

1. When in September is the best time for YNP (best wildlife viewing, lowest September traffic, fall colours (in order of my priority))?
2. There are three options for entering from the north half of YNP: Cooke City, Gardiner, West Yellowstone from Bozeman down along the Gallatin River (would camp overnight somewhere around Bozeman so I could do this drive early in the morning). I am leaning towards entering via Cooke City and
...Show more

1. These things typically vary some. I would opt for later in September.
2. Entering via Cooke City means coming over the Beartooth Highway or the Chief Joseph Scenic Byway. Either are very scenic routes, but not the easiest way into the park. If coming through Bozeman, I'd recommend the Gardiner entrance.
3. Morning and evening are probably best, but mid-day can still offer wildlife sighting, especially bison and elk.
4. Jackson Hole is the name for the entire valley. Grand Teton National Park takes up a good chunk of that.
5. I would tend to make loop drives. Also drive the Moose Wilson Road and visit Schwabacher Landing
6. Oxbow Bend is certainly a scenic stop well worth visiting, but I wouldn't expect it to be a wildlife hotspot.

Art

May 26, 2022 at 12:39 PM
EverLearning
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Planning a fall trip to Yellowstone NP

Thanks Art.

I'm thinking I'll start my trip on Monday, Sept. 12 to avoid weekend traffic and by the time I start YNP (the 14th) pretty much all family traffic in the park should be finished (I found an article that said Sept. 9 was the latest any school district in the US returns to school).

I am coming from Manitoba which is NE of YNP. I have total flexibility on how I enter the park. Bozeman would be a bit out of my way and I would only do that if i was going to enter through the west entrance. Gardiner is a definite option for entrance or exit. Re entrance via Cooke City, what do you mean by "not the easiest way into the park"? Is the road in rough shape?

Have you driven the Moose-Wilson Road? I read on one site that it is "closed to trucks, RVs and trailers”. I am driving Ram Promaster 2500, manufacturer conversion to a camper van, so maybe I am not allowed to drive it?

Re Oxbow Bend, that is the problem with the general internet (AOT photographer sites like this) - what some people consider a lot of wildlife may not be by our standards. So what do you consider THE best spot or two in GTNP for wildlife photography?

May 26, 2022 at 01:13 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Craig Gillette
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Planning a fall trip to Yellowstone NP

We've been there twice. About Memorial Day and then October 3 -12 or so. This was over 30 years ago and any given year probably varies some. For the October trip, that seemed past the peak of fall colors but wasn't close to leafless winter either. The elk rut was ongoing, we heard plenty of bugling and the bulls were sparring. At Mammoth Hot Springs, we were watching a couple of bulls sparring on the parade ground area near the hotel (from the Army days) when several more came charging into the area from several directions. Between buildings, around cars, etc. Lots of bison especially but not only in the area coming in from West Yellowstone.

We did see the mountain sheep near the road towards the north entrance and pronghorn to the west of the road but they were rather far out.

Also moose in the willow flats near Oxbow Bend. We saw activity there but not sure it's a hotspot, we saw quite a bit of activity in other areas, too. But it's good landscape. The view from Signal Mountain Lodge (in Grand Tetons NP) across the lake is great and it's a handy spot for eats, too.

We stayed at Signal Mountain Lodge and the Inn at Old Faithful and as others have noted that was transitioning season, some facilities were closed or closing for the winter some winter season facilities were getting ready to open. We're from the Los Angeles area so might have a different idea of what might be "cold" or not. A storm did come through and there was some snow closures and just missed getting stuck with closures near the Continental Divide and Craig Pass which would have required driving one of the long ways around to get to Old Faithful from Signal Mountain.

May 26, 2022 at 01:45 PM
Older Fossil
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Planning a fall trip to Yellowstone NP

EverLearning wrote:
I'm thinking I'll start my trip on Monday, Sept. 12 to avoid weekend traffic and by the time I start YNP (the 14th) pretty much all family traffic in the park should be finished (I found an article that said Sept. 9 was the latest any school district in the US returns to school).

Still be prepared for lots of people.

I am coming from Manitoba which is NE of YNP. I have total flexibility on how I enter the park. Bozeman would be a bit out of my way and I would only do that if i was going to enter through the west entrance. Gardiner is a definite option for entrance or exit. Re entrance via Cooke City, what do you mean by "not the easiest way into the park"? Is the road in rough shape?
Coming over the Beartooth Highway involves climbing over Beartooth Pass at almost 11,000 ft. with lots of curves and switchbacks. They are just now plowing it for this years opening. An early big storm could close it for the season. It would be a waste to drive that highway in the dark and miss the fantastic views. I-90 to Livingston and US-89 to Gardiner are much easier and faster straighter roads.

Have you driven the Moose-Wilson Road? I read on one site that it is "closed to trucks, RVs and trailers”. I am driving Ram Promaster 2500, manufacturer conversion to a camper van, so maybe I am not allowed to drive it?
If it looks like the basic Promaster 2500 van, I don't think it would be a problem. It is a narrow two lane road that they don't want big, wide and long rigs on.

Re Oxbow Bend, that is the problem with the general internet (AOT photographer sites like this) - what some people consider a lot of wildlife may not be by our standards. So what do you consider THE best spot or two in GTNP for wildlife photography?
As always, it depends on where the animals are! Some of our best times were just places we'd been by several times before without seeing anything.

Art

May 26, 2022 at 03:18 PM
EverLearning
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Planning a fall trip to Yellowstone NP

This is great info Art! Thanks so much.

So I found a four minute video on Beartooth Highway. I see what you mean about lots of curves and switchbacks! Perhaps not ideal for a 9000lb camper van and not optimal for watching the road and looking for wildlife/scenic photo ops either (unless I want to become a "roadside attraction" for others). So if I am to both enter and exit through YNP (that is, not head for home from somewhere in GTNP), should I do both in and out through Gardiner or is Bozeman to (or from) the West gate along the Gallatin River worth i?. Worded another way, is there good photo opportunities along the Bozeman/West gate route and enough variety from the more direct Gardiner path to make it worth incorporating Bozeman/West gate into my plans?

Thanks

May 26, 2022 at 04:12 PM
Older Fossil
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Planning a fall trip to Yellowstone NP

I went back and reread this entire thread and have a few more thoughts.

If this is your first visit, you are covering a huge area in a short time. Be sure to spend some time visiting some of the amazing thermal areas like Mammoth Hot Springs, Norris Geyser Basin and, Lower, Midway and Upper (Old Faithful) Basins. Go early to get parking.

In the national parks there is no camping outside of designated campgrounds. There are a few such areas outside Yellowstone and in Jackson Hole, but with your schedule, I think you'd be better staying in park campgrounds. For the northern part of Yellowstone (Lamar Valley) I'd suggest Slough Creek CG and Pebble Creek
CG. For thermal areas and the Madison River wildlife I'd suggest the Madison CG.

The elk rut peaks about September, so your timing looks good. You will usually find elk hanging out in Mammoth Hot Springs village, but for a natural setting the Madison River between Madison Junction and the west entrance is better.

There are usually lots of bison in the Lamar Valley and often in the Hayden Valley and near Lower Geyser Basin. Don't be surprised to get stuck in a "bison jam" once or twice.

Moose in Yellowstone are best seen early in the morning in the Willow Park area and near the northeast entrance. Moose are frequently found in Gros Ventre CG near Jackson.

Bighorn Sheep are often seen in the cliffs along the Gardner River near the northwest entrance, though we've seen mature rams between Mammoth Hot Springs and the Lamar Valley.

Mountain Goats are often seen up on Baronette Peak (at a long distance).

We've seen Picas and Marmots at Sheepeater Cliffs.

We usually see Trumpeter Swans at Swan Lake south of Mammoth Hot Springs and often on the Yellowstone River in the Hayden Valley.

Grizzly Bears and Black Bears may be found about anywhere.

Wolves we've mostly seen in the Lamar Valley and Hayden Valley.

Coyotes can be seen anywhere.

If you want a half day out of northern Yellowstone for scenery, consider driving up to Beartooth Pass and back.

I'm sure I'll think of other things later,
Art

Edited on May 27, 2022 at 07:46 AM · View previous versions

May 26, 2022 at 06:17 PM
EverLearning
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Planning a fall trip to Yellowstone NP

Older Fossil, first, wow! That was awesome of you to reread this entire thread and provide additional comment. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

I guess I should have mentioned that we (the family) were there 13 or 14 years ago, but we had two young children in tow so it was almost exclusively the touristy stuff rather than anything to do with wildlife. I did get a few great scenic photos (Lower Falls, Yellowstone lake sunrise).

I couldn't find a Blackbear Pass north of Yellowstone. The only one I found was in Colorado. Can you recall a town name near the pass you are thinking of?

Thanks

May 26, 2022 at 09:58 PM
Older Fossil
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Planning a fall trip to Yellowstone NP

EverLearning wrote:
Older Fossil, first, wow! That was awesome of you to reread this entire thread and provide additional comment. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

You are very welcome! It is one of our favorite places (even with the increasing crowds).

I guess I should have mentioned that we (the family) were there 13 or 14 years ago, but we had two young children in tow so it was almost exclusively the touristy stuff rather than anything to do with wildlife. I did get a few great scenic photos (Lower Falls, Yellowstone lake sunrise).

OK, I though this was a first trip. My earliest memories of Yellowstone are from 1960, and stronger memories from mid to late 1970s with my wife. Since RVing after retirement, we've been there several times. Some of the thermal areas have clearly changed over the years.

I couldn't find a Blackbear Pass north of Yellowstone. The only one I found was in Colorado. Can you recall a town name near the pass you are thinking of?

Whoops, the danger of posting just before turning in for the night! I meant Beartooth Pass!
(I just fixed that post)

Also, I should have recommended the Tom Miner Basin northwest of Gardiner off US-89 if you are close enough. Grizzlies often seen feeding on caraway roots in the fall, especially near the B Bar Ranch. Though you need a long telephoto there.

Art

May 27, 2022 at 07:25 AM
bflood
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Planning a fall trip to Yellowstone NP

OK, I have to add a few more, too.

Traffic - once schools are back in session, there will be a distinct difference in the amount of traffic between weekdays and weekends. It used to be that weekdays were rather quiet, but not so now. The park will be busy every day, and a madhouse on weekends.

Traffic 2 - for reasons I'll never understand, the majority of park visitors won't get up early to see the wildlife at its best. Soooooo . . . . GET UP EARLY! It is the best technique for minimizing the crowds you encounter.

Traffic 3 - HOWEVER, iconic sunrise photo sites get very crowded, insanely so on weekends. Sunrise at the Moulton barn, Schwabachers Landing, and Oxbow Bend in Jackson Hole, and Old Faithful in YNP draw very large groups of camera nuts like me, and not all of them will be polite. If you want to get any of these shots, I recommend you 1) avoid weekend mornings altogether, and 2) get there more than an hour before you expect to get the light you are looking for and stake out a spot with your tripod in a position such that no one can walk in front of that spot to block you. If you allow that space in front of you, someone will take it.

The Beartooth Highway is an amazing drive with extraordinary scenery, but a 9,000 lb vehicle would struggle. Most of the drive between Cooke City and Red Lodge MT is in the 8,000-11,000 ft range.

Both parks require the visitor to drive around a lot. If memory serves me correctly (no longer guaranteed), I recommended earlier to check with visitor centers for current news about wildlife. Grazing animals of all types seem to return to a place with grazing that suits them for quite a few days, so places where bears, moose, etc have been seen today or yesterday are excellent candidates for tomorrow, too.

And since you clearly don't have enough places to see in the time you'll be there, let me add a couple of personal favorites. Every morning (weather permitting) there will be a rainbow in the spray at the Upper Falls of the Yellowstone River. It will be visible from both sides of the river, but the time when it appears and later disappears changes through the year. Check with the Canyon visitor center for current times. A quick midday stop at one of the overlooks at the Upper Falls will let your make a choice as to which side you think you'd like to shoot from. Then any morning with good weather will do.

And last but first on my list of favorites is Grand Prismatic Spring an hour or so after sunrise. The colors in the spring are amazing enough, but in the morning there will be a layer of steam fog a few feet thick over the spring, and when viewed at a low angle (like from a spot on the boardwalk downslope from the spring), that fog will display the colors of the spring. Makes a cool shot.

May 27, 2022 at 03:06 PM
EverLearning
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Planning a fall trip to Yellowstone NP

Lots of good stuff here. Pulled together a plan and now am tweaking it a bit based on the additional input. Great appreciation for all who posted.

May 27, 2022 at 08:11 PM
EverLearning
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Planning a fall trip to Yellowstone NP

Art, regarding Tom Miner Basin, that sounds interesting if I do indeed get my hands on a 500 to combine with a 1.4x TC on the Canon R5. It is a short distance (about 3 miles) off Hwy 89. Do you recall if you travelled Grizzly Meadow Rd (N of Tom Miner Creek) or Tom Miner Creek Rd (S of Tom Miner Creek)? If I was just to go by the names, I would take Grizzly Meadow Rd, but that would be putting to much faith in a road name, !

bflood, your comments on traffic made me reconsider my trip dates. I am shifting my departure from home from Monday to Saturday. I will suffer a bit heavier traffic on the two day drive to have my first 5 days in YNP be weekdays (I think my last two days in YNP, which are on the weekend, are more out-of-the-way areas and will be less impacted by traffic). Thanks for the tip on the Upper Falls. I have three days in the area to work the Hayden valley. If I have a bumper crop of wildlife photos (my main objective) I can probably carve out one morning for that falls shot. Same for Grand Prismatic Spring. I have one morning that might work very well (I presume a clear sky is required for maximum colour effect?)

May 29, 2022 at 11:44 AM
EverLearning
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Planning a fall trip to Yellowstone NP

One question I haven't asked here is if there are any trails that would be highly recommended for spotting wildlife. I enjoy hiking and am not adverse to doing longer hikes (several hours if the potential rewards justify it).

As I will be travelling alone, I will be hiking alone. I have decent bear knowledge (watching for tracks, scat, carrion, shrubs with berries and cubs "unattended") and I carry bear spray (and know how to use it). I also plan on taking a bear safety course (makes sense doing this trip and the Alaska Hwy next fall).

Thanks

May 29, 2022 at 11:49 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password