New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2022 · Sensor GFX50R vs R5

Luis Cunha
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Sensor GFX50R vs R5

Hi, according to the website Photons to Photos the performance in terms of dynamic range of the Canon R5 and the Fuji GFX50R is very, very close. Does anyone happen to own both cameras/systems and can confirm that the differences are even minimal in actual use? I use the GFX50R and these files have extraordinary flexibility, but I've never tested the R5.
In the past I've used several 5D's and the EOS R.

I'm considering switching for other reasons, in addition to the good dynamic range, for the R5, but I didn't want to lose this DR I have now, nor this quality of files.
https://www.photonstophotos.net/Charts/PDR.htm

Does Canon finally already produce sensors that are no longer behind the competition in this aspect?

Thank you very much.
Cheers.

May 23, 2022 at 08:55 AM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Sensor GFX50R vs R5

I cannot answer your precise question based on using the two cameras. If that makes my reply not of interest, feel free to stop reading here.

- - - - -

Sensor technology (and the technology of processing and handling sensor data) continues to improve incrementally from generation to generation. The Canon sensor in the R5 is newer than that in the GFX50R, so it would be likely that its performance in terms of DR and noise would be better than that of the 5Ds/5DsR (which I do use) from the previous generation.

In a general way, there are a couple of things to consider here.
It is risky and not of a whole lot of real world value to consider switching systems, brands, and formats each time a new thing comes out that is a little bit better in some technical parameter. The real world differences in sensor performance between Canon's previous high MP sensor bodies (like my 5DsR) and the GFX50R were not gigantic, and most people would not be able to tell which system a photograph came from. If you had other reasons for using a miniMF camera rather than full frame, those still exist and your GFX 50R still has the same excellent image quality performance it had before the R5 was introduced.

Photography equipment decisions are always compromises of cost, size, speed, image quality issues, weight, and more. If the GFX50R was the right compromise for you before and you really like its performance, and you have presumably invested in lenses and perhaps other accessories that work with it, unless there is some more important deficiency in its performance that outweighs the differences between miniMF and FF... stick with what you have.

If there are functional differences that are interfering with your work with the GFX 50R... cruise on over to the Canon forum and see what people using the R5 will tell you. And look at a range of test results to gauge the differences. (Among Canon users there is active debate about whether users of the 5DsR will gain enough IQ benefit from the R5 to switch. The general consensus, subject to debate, seems to be that the real world image quality differences are minimal, and the quality of the 5DsR is already very good... but that the R5 has improved performance for things like AF and burst, etc.) But head to the Canon board, and dive into the R5 discussions.

Dan

May 23, 2022 at 01:46 PM
molson
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Sensor GFX50R vs R5

Luis Cunha wrote:
Hi, according to the website Photons to Photos the performance in terms of dynamic range of the Canon R5 and the Fuji GFX50R is very, very close. Does anyone happen to own both cameras/systems and can confirm that the differences are even minimal in actual use? I use the GFX50R and these files have extraordinary flexibility, but I've never tested the R5.

I'm considering switching for other reasons, in addition to the good dynamic range, for the R5, but I didn't want to lose this DR I have now, nor
...Show more

The dynamic range at base ISO is pretty much identical, but Fuji pulls ahead as the ISO increases:

https://www.photonstophotos.net/Charts/PDR.htm#Canon%20EOS%20R5,FujiFilm%20GFX%2050R

The major difference is that GF lenses will resolve a lot more detail.

May 23, 2022 at 02:25 PM
lovinglife
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Sensor GFX50R vs R5

I have no idea sorry. But the resolution of the GFX50R (and more-so of the 100 series) is something i’ve never seen before. Everything else sucks on the 50R (handling, focusing etc etc). But I would bet my gfx camera that purely on an IQ basis the 50R is a fair bit ahead of the r5. That said the Newer RF lenses are fantastic, and thought of buying an R5C crosses my mind at least twice a day 😂

May 23, 2022 at 04:11 PM
Jesse Evans
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Sensor GFX50R vs R5

The downward triangles of the R5 graph indicate noise reduction in the raw file, that is why they are similar.

I own the R5 and have owned and recently reacquired the GFX 100S. The reasons are:

1. I started looking at the Fuji TX-1 because I love single frame panos, and the GFX 100s offers 11,648 horizontal pixels, and offers film simulations which are really pleasing out of camera.

2. The files I had captured on my prior GFX 100s were just unmatched in terms of overall fidelity, the mixture of high resolution, beautiful gradations between colors, and the tones in recovered shadows and highlights, to me seemed to be better than anything else I have used. I haven’t done side by side comparisons of any interesting scenes, so I can’t be sure. But numbers or no, you can tell when you’re working with a file how difficult it is to get the image to look the way you like. With the GFX, it feels like little to no effort.

Anywho, the R5 is a fantastic camera, and a better all around solution for the majority of people, and noise reduction in raw aside, it is still not lacking for image quality or dynamic range.

May 23, 2022 at 05:27 PM
Luis Cunha
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Sensor GFX50R vs R5

Jesse Evans wrote:
The downward triangles of the R5 graph indicate noise reduction in the raw file, that is why they are similar.

I own the R5 and have owned and recently reacquired the GFX 100S. The reasons are:

1. I started looking at the Fuji TX-1 because I love single frame panos, and the GFX 100s offers 11,648 horizontal pixels, and offers film simulations which are really pleasing out of camera.

2. The files I had captured on my prior GFX 100s were just unmatched in terms of overall fidelity, the mixture of high resolution, beautiful gradations between colors, and the tones
...Show more

That's exactly the perception I have when I edit the Raw files from my GFX50R; are extremely flexible. I really like it. But I have 5 EF lenses that I really like and have been using for many years and they don't work very well on the GFX. I only have two GF lenses; both wonderful. That's why I'm considering going back to Canon, but I don't want to give up the magnificent files, from this sensor.
I prefer Canon's ergonomics.

May 23, 2022 at 05:37 PM
robert_in_ca
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Sensor GFX50R vs R5

Luis Cunha wrote:

I'm considering switching for other reasons, in addition to the good dynamic range, for the R5, but I didn't want to lose this DR I have now, nor
...Show more

Having owned the GFX 50R (also the GFX 100S) it's simply a slower camera when compared to my R5. The GF lenses render wonderfully but the RF glass is no slouch either. But from a pure IQ stance the Fuji is slightly better were everything else the nod goes to the Canon.

Edited on May 24, 2022 at 10:52 AM · View previous versions

May 23, 2022 at 06:33 PM
Luis Cunha
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Sensor GFX50R vs R5

robert_in_ca wrote:
Having owned the GFX 50R (also the GFX 100S) it's simply a slower camera when compared to my R5. The GF lenses render wonderfully but the RF glass is no slough either. But from a pure IQ stance the Fuji is slightly better were everything else the nod goes to the Canon.

Thank you Robert. Agree.

May 24, 2022 at 09:25 AM
Luis Cunha
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Sensor GFX50R vs R5

Thanks to everyone who has responded so far. Undoubtedly useful testimonials.

May 24, 2022 at 09:27 AM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Sensor GFX50R vs R5

robert_in_ca wrote:
Having owned the GFX 50R (also the GFX 100S) it's simply a slower camera when compared to my R5. The GF lenses render wonderfully but the RF glass is no slouch either. But from a pure IQ stance the Fuji is slightly better were everything else the nod goes to the Canon.

Despite being very favorably impressed by the IQ of the miniMF Fujifilm cameras, that's where I ended up a while back. The GFX can produce objectively/measurably better IQ in some ways, but even if you make photographs where the difference might be visible you have to forego a lot of other stuff that is important to my photography — cameras speed and lens availability behind high on the list.

It does depend on what/how you photograph though. If you find the GFX lens collection to meet your needs and/or you are happy with adapting lenses and you don't need a particularly fast camera and the specifics of your photographic work are such that the size difference of the sensor will make a real-world visible difference... the GFX system can be a great choice.

I still may end up with it or something similar eventually, but for my purposes the pluses don't outweigh the minuses at this point.

Dan

May 24, 2022 at 11:46 AM
Luis Cunha
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Sensor GFX50R vs R5

gdanmitchell wrote:
Despite being very favorably impressed by the IQ of the miniMF Fujifilm cameras, that's where I ended up a while back. The GFX can produce objectively/measurably better IQ in some ways, but even if you make photographs where the difference might be visible you have to forego a lot of other stuff that is important to my photography — cameras speed and lens availability behind high on the list.

It does depend on what/how you photograph though. If you find the GFX lens collection to meet your needs and/or you are happy with adapting lenses and you don't need a particularly
...Show more

Thanks. You have good arguments here. Apart from a Canon super macro lens that I use adapted in the GFX, the GF lenses cover everything I need; Too bad they're so expensive, but they're also so good ;-)

May 24, 2022 at 12:03 PM
Jesse Evans
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Sensor GFX50R vs R5

Luis Cunha wrote:
Thanks. You have good arguments here. Apart from a Canon super macro lens that I use adapted in the GFX, the GF lenses cover everything I need; Too bad they're so expensive, but they're also so good ;-)

They’re cheaper than native RF L lenses 😄

May 24, 2022 at 12:43 PM
Luis Cunha
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Sensor GFX50R vs R5

Jesse Evans wrote:
They’re cheaper than native RF L lenses 😄

It is true. They are right against each other in terms of price. Maybe even the GF since they are a little bigger for MF, they are "cheaper".

May 24, 2022 at 12:48 PM
leonasj
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Sensor GFX50R vs R5

dpreview image quality charts shows that 50R has far more dynamic range,more details and accurate colors even at iso6400 vs R5 on iso 1600,as every FF camera starts loose colors and details from iso1600. Im shooting and use only jpeg straight from camera and never process files. on ff camera im always kept max iso at 1600. now with my 50R max iso keep 6400 and have simply clean jpeg photos out of camera.never look back to ff cameras.

Edited on Jun 03, 2022 at 09:37 AM · View previous versions

Jun 03, 2022 at 03:42 AM
Steve Spencer
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Sensor GFX50R vs R5

molson wrote:
The dynamic range at base ISO is pretty much identical, but Fuji pulls ahead as the ISO increases:

https://www.photonstophotos.net/Charts/PDR.htm#Canon%20EOS%20R5,FujiFilm%20GFX%2050R

The major difference is that GF lenses will resolve a lot more detail.

At base ISO the R5 is also baking in noise reduction which probably artificially elevates the R5 DR by about 2/3rds of a stop (this is Bill Claff's--who runs the site--guess). So no they aren't equal. They are very good, but you one should be able to get more DR out of the Fuji by adding noise reduction (if that was desired) in post processing,

Jun 03, 2022 at 06:39 AM
Luis Cunha
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Sensor GFX50R vs R5

Steve Spencer wrote:
At base ISO the R5 is also baking in noise reduction which probably artificially elevates the R5 DR by about 2/3rds of a stop (this is Bill Claff's--who runs the site--guess). So no they aren't equal. They are very good, but you one should be able to get more DR out of the Fuji by adding noise reduction (if that was desired) in post processing,

In fact the graph shows that the R5 has noise reduction even at the lowest ISO down to around ISO 600-700. Therefore, they will not be absolutely real DR values.
There is advantage for GFX50R.
It's a pity that Bill hasn't published values for the GFX100s yet .-(

Jun 03, 2022 at 07:25 AM
Steve Spencer
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Sensor GFX50R vs R5

Luis Cunha wrote:
In fact the graph shows that the R5 has noise reduction even at the lowest ISO down to around ISO 600-700. Therefore, they will not be absolutely real DR values.
There is advantage for GFX50R.
It's a pity that Bill hasn't published values for the GFX100s yet .-(

They will be almost identical to the GFX100, so we basically know what they would look like.

Jun 03, 2022 at 07:36 AM
Luis Cunha
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Sensor GFX50R vs R5

Steve Spencer wrote:
They will be almost identical to the GFX100, so we basically know what they would look like.

Yes, it must be identical, but as they are different machines launched at different times...

Jun 03, 2022 at 08:38 AM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Sensor GFX50R vs R5

Coming back to this thread...

This is one of those things where it is more about the suitability of the overall package to one's particular kind of photography than it is about individual technical specs.

Basically, both cameras can produce excellent photographic results. They aren't identical, and we cannot deny that a larger sensor, all else being equal, can produce specs that exceed those of a smaller sensor. If all else actually were equal — price, size, weight, lens & and accessory availability, AF speed and accuracy, burst rates, and so on — the larger sensor camera would always "win."

But all else is never equal, and the importance of the various parameters will vary for different kinds of photography and among different users.

In the end, given a bunch of cameras and camera systems that produce very high levels of image quality, it is this overall mix of features and their relevance to one's particular photography that makes the most important difference.

I love analogies, and although none are perfect, I like this one. Suppose one is looking for a new car. There are two intestine* prospects. One has a top speed of 150MPH and the other a tops speed of 155MPH. If top speed is your only criterion, the "best" choice is obvious — get the faster one. But what if the faster one costs 4x as much, is not very comfortable on long drives with your kids, requires service every 2500 miles, and... you never drive faster than 85MPH anyway?

(To be fair, here's another one. Again, there are two prospects. One gets 50MPG and the other gets 53MPG. Yes, that's a "G" instead of an "H" now. If mileage is your only criterion, the 53MPG car is the best choice, right? But... I'll let you fill in the rest of the hypothetical.)

Dan

* "intestine prospects" is such a fun typo that I won't correct it above. It should, of course, be "interesting prospects."

Edited on Jun 15, 2022 at 05:35 PM · View previous versions

Jun 03, 2022 at 11:04 AM
Robin Smith
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Sensor GFX50R vs R5

There are two intestine prospects.

Ouch. Intestinal?

Jun 15, 2022 at 05:10 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.