Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2022 · Camo lens tape for zooms.... (100-400 IS II)

Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Camo lens tape for zooms.... (100-400 IS II)

docusync wrote:
Are you saying that zoom lenses are unaffected by thermal expansion?

No, and I never said so. The OP is using it for camo purposes, not to prevent thermal expansion.

The 100-500 is a bright white lens. Is it bright white for a reason? It could be but I don't know for sure.

https://global.canon/en/quality/story/vol02.html

https://www.canon-europe.com/pro/stories/canon-white-lenses/

May 24, 2022 at 05:15 PM
docusync
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Camo lens tape for zooms.... (100-400 IS II)

Imagemaster wrote:
No, and I never said so. The OP is using it for camo purposes, not to prevent thermal expansion.

You won't prevent thermal expansion by covering the lens, it's exactly opposite.
I just wanted to point out that covering the lens would reduce benefits of the heat shield coating. Birds will see and hear you anyway. Does it make sense?

May 24, 2022 at 05:55 PM
mdees88
• •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Camo lens tape for zooms.... (100-400 IS II)

TakesRandomPics wrote:
I think the point is for those of us that don't really understand how to plan something like this. You know you need relief cuts and pre-cut strips and so on. I tried measuring and cutting out strips and had a lot of issues with curves, now that you mention relief cuts it makes sense but I'm incapable of figuring that out ahead of time and the video really just says "use this stuff" and shows the final result instead of any sort of step by step.

This is why I posted my "plan" and explained how I did it. I realize the way you did may have been difficult but I just wanted to share to the people that are hesitant to try this themselves that it is not difficult if you do it like I did. If you can cut a straight line 9 times you can do this and have it look "professional".

If you look at my pictures I did not cover every single white surface. I just did the flat ones because they are the easiest to cover. That video was not a how to. It was where I heard of this product and showed the recommendation from a reputable wildlife photographer instead of a random guy like me.

Matt

May 24, 2022 at 06:17 PM
mdees88
• •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Camo lens tape for zooms.... (100-400 IS II)

docusync wrote:
You won't prevent thermal expansion by covering the lens, it's exactly opposite.
I just wanted to point out that covering the lens would reduce benefits of the heat shield coating. Birds will see and hear you anyway. Does it make sense?

The sole purpose of this thread was to show a product that will allow you to cover the majority of a zoom lens in camo, since you can not do that with neoprene.

I'm not trying to argue the effectiveness of use of camouflage, or thermal expansion, or comparing nick and ding resistance between vinyl tape and neoprene. Y'all can certainly talk about all of that but it was not my intention. (Pointing out that this could increase wear on the seal over time was definitely worth mentioning though)

Not that anyone cares but this is why I use it in order of importance... 1) I like the way it looks 2) it adds a small protection against scratches 3) In certain very specific scenarios it could help but certainly does not hurt in terms of concealment...

Matt

May 24, 2022 at 07:04 PM
docusync
• • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Camo lens tape for zooms.... (100-400 IS II)

mdees88 wrote:
The sole purpose of this thread was to show a product that will allow you to cover the majority of a zoom lens in camo, since you can not do that with neoprene.

I'm not trying to argue the effectiveness of use of camouflage, or thermal expansion, or comparing nick and ding resistance between vinyl tape and neoprene. Y'all can certainly talk about all of that but it was not my intention. (Pointing out that this could increase wear on the seal over time was definitely worth mentioning though)

Not that anyone cares but this is why I use it in
...Show more

I completely agree on ## 1 and 2. Can't tell anything about #3 since I'm not a bird
My 100-500 is also covered, mostly for protection. The lifeguard-design stuff does not cover the extending piece. I wouldn't risk to cover it myself for the reason you've mentioned (wear out the seal).

May 24, 2022 at 07:09 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Camo lens tape for zooms.... (100-400 IS II)

docusync wrote:

Well if you can prove it does so by any 'significant' amount when using black neoprene, please show me.

May 24, 2022 at 09:02 PM
vbnut
• •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Camo lens tape for zooms.... (100-400 IS II)

I've bought a roll of MossyOak, and have even started cutting strips for my 300 2.8 II, but I've been procrastinating on on actually installing it because I'm uncertain how to handle the "hard" parts (e.g. tapered sections, lens hood knob and other controls) plus I've gotten distracted by other tasks.. I've looked at all the videos at https://www.mossyoakgraphics.com/installation-instructions that seemed potentially relevant, but didn't find them very helpful. I'd love to see a video of someone installing this tape on a lens, especially showing how they handled the hard parts.

- Peter

May 25, 2022 at 12:24 AM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Camo lens tape for zooms.... (100-400 IS II)

Neoprene offers advantages over stick-on material. It provides better protection against bumps and scrapes, and it provides better insulation against both cold and heat for both your hands and the lens. There is less chance of getting the material jammed in the sliding part of the zoom barrel. If you believe that having black neoprene on a white lens in the hot sun causes any heat problem, try placing a piece on the hood of a white car in the hot sun for several minutes, then lift it off and immediately place your hand on the hood. I bet it will not feel any hotter than placing your hand on a nearby area that was not covered.

Neoprene is not that hard to cut and join together. You can either sew pieces together or use special glue for neoprene that holds very well. Why do you think divers wear wetsuits made from neoprene?

On a zoom lens you can simply use a stretchy sock to go over the sliding part of the barrel. It can easily be moved back or forth with your hand. You can use a combo of both neoprene material and stretch cloth material to fit your own needs.

I have done this with many lenses, both primes and zooms. Mine may look ugly, but I don't care one whit about that. In fact it makes them look less appealing to thieves.

If you want to spend more money and have your lens look 'better', buy one here or elsewhere:

https://www.lenscoat.com/canon-covers-c-45_2.html?osCsid=476a24f104eb369b326d6fdfededf5d9

Some of my ugly examples:

May 25, 2022 at 12:25 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Camo lens tape for zooms.... (100-400 IS II)

I prefer a more consistent look.

© jcolwell 2022

May 26, 2022 at 06:45 AM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Camo lens tape for zooms.... (100-400 IS II)

jcolwell wrote:
I prefer a more consistent look.

https://www.lenscoat.com/canon-covers-c-45_2.html?osCsid=476a24f104eb369b326d6fdfededf5d9

May 26, 2022 at 10:33 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Camo lens tape for zooms.... (100-400 IS II)

Exactly.

May 26, 2022 at 10:54 AM
mdees88
• •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Camo lens tape for zooms.... (100-400 IS II)

He just made a video on how to apply the mossy oaks graphics tape....
https://youtu.be/pcOznJoS5xQ

Jun 01, 2022 at 01:55 AM
vbnut
• •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Camo lens tape for zooms.... (100-400 IS II)

mdees88 wrote:
He just made a video on how to apply the mossy oaks graphics tape....
https://youtu.be/pcOznJoS5xQ

Thanks for letting us know about this new video. It is certainly informative, but I wish he had demoed applying the tape to a tapered area and/or an irregular area like around the knob on a lens hood where stretching the material is essential, rather than just talking about it.

Jun 02, 2022 at 02:04 AM
gossamer88

p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Camo lens tape for zooms.... (100-400 IS II)

I did mine using a couple of months ago.
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52117961939_ff54be6a2b_c.jpg

Jun 02, 2022 at 02:45 PM
Littlefield
• • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Camo lens tape for zooms.... (100-400 IS II)

Imagemaster wrote:
Geez, you should do a YouTube video.

Just buy sheets of neoprene and cut one piece for the hood, and a couple of pieces for two convenient locations on the barrel. Neoprene gives better protection and insulation.

As for camouflage color, that does not fool wildlife one iota unless they are blind.

Guess you never hunted Wild Turkey.
Don

Jun 02, 2022 at 04:37 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Camo lens tape for zooms.... (100-400 IS II)

Littlefield wrote:
Guess you never hunted Wild Turkey.
Don

Don't you just dress in a giant turkey suit and blast them with a shotgun

Jun 03, 2022 at 07:23 AM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.