Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Camo lens tape for zooms.... (100-400 IS II)

mdees88
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Camo lens tape for zooms.... (100-400 IS II)

I stumbled across this video and ended up ordering the camo tape he recommends. It is called mossy oak graphics tape. It is very thin and comes in many different patterns. The guy says has been using it for years and it doesn't fade or leave residue when removed. I put it on my Canon 100-400 IS II and the zoom functions as it should. There is the slightest bit more resistance with the tape on when zooming but it is almost unnoticeable. No complaints so far. This is the mossy oak duck blind pattern on my lens.

https://www.amazon.com/Mossy-Oak-Graphics-14003-7-DB-Camouflage/dp/B00IAIG2BA/ref=sr_1_5?crid=K43YLCH1XCDK&keywords=mossy+oak+graphics+duck+blind&qid=1653287881&sprefix=mossy+oak+graphics+duck+blind%2Caps%2C187&sr=8-5

May 23, 2022 at 01:44 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Camo lens tape for zooms.... (100-400 IS II)

Interesting solution. I prefer neoprene covers, as they're easily removable. I think the camo covers on a 70-200/2.8 and 300/2.8 look fine outdoors (where they protect the lens from scratches and keep your hands warm), but they look out of place when shooting in a theatre or at a reception.

Also, I would not cover the inner barrel of the 100-400 L IS II. The seals between the inner and outer lens barrel, and the lens lock (rotating ring at front of outer barrel) are very particular about clearances. I haven't heard stories (yet) about problems with the Mk II, but they were common with the Mk I. Your comment, "There is the slightest bit more resistance with the tape on when zooming but it is almost unnoticeable", means that the seals are experiencing higher than intended friction, and that can't be a good thing, on such an important seal.

May 23, 2022 at 06:29 AM
mdees88
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Camo lens tape for zooms.... (100-400 IS II)

I'm a wildlife photographer only so no theaters for me. It seems silly to do my best to conceal myself then have a white lens glaring in the sun.

That is a fair point and worth mentioning. Normally my lens would fully extend under its own weight when hanging down, with the film it takes one jiggle before it extends. My lens is full of dust so maybe the tighter seal tolerance will keep more from getting in...

May 23, 2022 at 07:24 AM
juststeve
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Camo lens tape for zooms.... (100-400 IS II)

I have been using a similar product from another company on my 100-500 for over a year with no problems. Liked it so much I put another pattern on my 100-400 ii. The base material for these products is made by 3M and has been around for at least a few years now. I believe the printing is done using pigment inkjet printers. Not sure whether they need to be aqueous based or solvent based.

May 23, 2022 at 09:20 AM
stanj
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Camo lens tape for zooms.... (100-400 IS II)

I don't particularly care for the neoprene Lenscoat - constantly fiddling with switches, unable to find the lens AF Stop buttons, and unpredictable use of the AF preset ring. This looks appealing other than the part that I would have to cut it myself, which would certainly go sideways. Does someone sell non-neoprene products such as this for the Big Whites?

May 23, 2022 at 10:02 AM
Flowernut
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Camo lens tape for zooms.... (100-400 IS II)

i prefer cloth over vinyl have not used on zooming portion of a lens.

https://www.amazon.com/Allen-Cloth-Camo-Tape-Realtree/dp/B07MFRFH1X/ref=sr_1_2?crid=1QU80GHBC2FRO&keywords=Allen+Camo+Cloth+Tape&qid=1653331161&s=sporting-goods&sprefix=allen+camo+cloth+tape%2Csporting%2C84&sr=1-2

May 23, 2022 at 01:42 PM
TakesRandomPics
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Camo lens tape for zooms.... (100-400 IS II)

stanj wrote:
I don't particularly care for the neoprene Lenscoat - constantly fiddling with switches, unable to find the lens AF Stop buttons, and unpredictable use of the AF preset ring. This looks appealing other than the part that I would have to cut it myself, which would certainly go sideways. Does someone sell non-neoprene products such as this for the Big Whites?

I think alphavgrd had something you can try googling.

I am going through the cutting and believe me if this is not something you are good at it you will struggle, took me about a whole day to do just the tripod mount, hood and part of the barrel and it definitely looks pretty amateurish and my first attempt left me with the manual focus ring hard to move so had to remove and reapply that part. I still haven't done the extending barrel. There are definite pros to the stick on approach but know how good you are at arts and crafts before you do it!

May 23, 2022 at 03:18 PM
johnvanr
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Camo lens tape for zooms.... (100-400 IS II)

Had it on a few lenses, but not on the part that extends. Looked like a mess, because I really canít be bothered to make it fit precisely. As long as it protected my lens and hood from small nicks and cuts, it was good enough for me. Have since removed it without issue as Iím selling said lenses.

May 23, 2022 at 03:49 PM
Hairy Heron

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Camo lens tape for zooms.... (100-400 IS II)

Highly recommend for those not a fan of neoprene or just don't want to spend that kind of money. The vinyl is super stretchy so conforms well to the contours of lens. It's also very sticky but won't leave a residue when time comes to replace or sell.

May 23, 2022 at 04:39 PM
stanj
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Camo lens tape for zooms.... (100-400 IS II)

TakesRandomPics wrote:
I think alphavgrd had something you can try googling.

Yeah I found them but they have nothing for big whites, just the small whites and black lenses. Oh well.

May 23, 2022 at 06:53 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

mdees88
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Camo lens tape for zooms.... (100-400 IS II)

I am pretty meticulous but this is really not hard to do if you have a plan. For my 100-400 II and my 1.4x extender, I had to cut 9 strips of tape at varying widths. All you do is see how wide the piece needs to be, then set the tape on a cutting board, set a straight edge on the tape the width of the piece you need, and cut it with a knife (easiest way to keep it straight). Even the two pieces with notches (the lens hood and where the zoom markings are) start off as long straight pieces. Once you cut them you set them in place and see how big of a notch you need to cut in them. Once you cut out the notch, you remove the backing and place the piece down on the notch first then work each end away from the notch. Every piece of tape can overlap at the end except on the lens barrel, they need to butt up or leave a very small gap. If you overlap the ends it makes the material too thick and you can really feel it when you zoom in and out.

The lens hood is the only tricky one (if you want it to look "professional") because it has a taper to it. Once you cut you strip you need to make relief cuts every 3/4" about halfway through the strip. You wrap the strip around the largest end of the lens hood first (with the relief cuts towards the smaller end), then as you work the material down the taper you let the relief cuts overlap slightly. That is how I did it anyway. I actually marked my tape with a pen and cut it with scissors which is much more difficult than cutting it with a knife in regards to keeping everything straight. It took me about two hours to do my lens but I spent a lot of time trying to make it perfect though it doesn't need to be. If you are incapable of cutting a straight line this might be difficult but it's almost impossible to not cut a straight line when using a straight edge and a knife (verses scissors).

May 23, 2022 at 07:56 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Camo lens tape for zooms.... (100-400 IS II)

Geez, you should do a YouTube video.

Just buy sheets of neoprene and cut one piece for the hood, and a couple of pieces for two convenient locations on the barrel. Neoprene gives better protection and insulation.

As for camouflage color, that does not fool wildlife one iota unless they are blind.

May 23, 2022 at 10:42 PM
mdees88
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Camo lens tape for zooms.... (100-400 IS II)

Imagemaster wrote:
Geez, you should do a YouTube video.

Just buy sheets of neoprene and cut one piece for the hood, and a couple of pieces for two convenient locations on the barrel. Neoprene gives better protection and insulation.

As for camouflage color, that does not fool wildlife one iota unless they are blind.

Why would anyone want to limit the versatility of a zoom lens by adding a neoprene sleeve to the barrel that reduces the throw? That's why I went this route. Almost every image I've taken up until now was with a bare lens and I'm well aware that the camo doesn't matter much at all. I just said it "seems silly" to make an effort to conceal myself and then have this white lens shining around in the sun.

Thanks for taking the time to contribute to this thread...

Matt

May 23, 2022 at 11:11 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Camo lens tape for zooms.... (100-400 IS II)

mdees88 wrote:
Why would anyone want to limit the versatility of a zoom lens by adding a neoprene sleeve to the barrel that reduces the throw? That's why I went this route. Almost every image I've taken up until now was with a bare lens and I'm well aware that the camo doesn't matter much at all. I just said it "seems silly" to make an effort to conceal myself and then have this white lens shining around in the sun.

I said: two convenient locations on the barrel and the zooming portion is not one of those locations. And as someone has pointed out, even using your thin material on the part can result in the lens malfunctioning and needing repair. I have actually taken a 100-400 apart to do such repairs.

The barrels of the lens by the way extends all the way from the front element to the camera mount: The the actual tube shaped housing which holds all the guts of the lens is called the lens barrel or lens body.

Another option for that part of the lens is to put a nylon/latex sock over it. It can be pulled out to cover all of that part as well as folding up when the zoom is retracted.

Most birds have excellent eyesight and will be just as bothered seeing the glass element on the front, as well as your face.

Here is a video on how to fix your zoom when a piece of any material gets stuck in the sliding assembly:

https://youtu.be/dkmeNVUqyx4

May 24, 2022 at 07:58 AM
TakesRandomPics
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Camo lens tape for zooms.... (100-400 IS II)

mdees88 wrote:
I am pretty meticulous but this is really not hard to do if you have a plan.

I think the point is for those of us that don't really understand how to plan something like this. You know you need relief cuts and pre-cut strips and so on. I tried measuring and cutting out strips and had a lot of issues with curves, now that you mention relief cuts it makes sense but I'm incapable of figuring that out ahead of time and the video really just says "use this stuff" and shows the final result instead of any sort of step by step.

May 24, 2022 at 10:28 AM
IndyFab
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Camo lens tape for zooms.... (100-400 IS II)

I can see some sort of protection for nicks and alike on the big WHITE tele's, but if your not going full camo, what's the point. I will say without a dought I see 90% of folks with camo on there lens, and dressed in civilian cloths. Like the Camo on the lens is going to get you closer to your subject, nope, just protection to the lens.

Edited on May 24, 2022 at 02:38 PM · View previous versions

May 24, 2022 at 10:45 AM
docusync
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Camo lens tape for zooms.... (100-400 IS II)

I'm covering my lenses with lifeguard-design.com 3M films, the pattern is called "MBSN" and it's relatively light.

After reading https://www.canon-europe.com/pro/stories/canon-white-lenses/ or https://global.canon/en/quality/story/vol02.html and Canon's own statement about one of the EF600/4 III (aka RF/600/4) optical pieces "This lens element is so delicate that simply holding the edges of it in your hand can cause localized warping due to body heat" I'm not sure if that's a right thing to do. That "white" color could be white for a reason. OTOH Nikon's big "whites" are black

May 24, 2022 at 12:35 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Camo lens tape for zooms.... (100-400 IS II)

docusync wrote:
I'm covering my lenses with lifeguard-design.com 3M films, the pattern is called "MBSN" and it's relatively light.

This thread is about covering zoom lenses, not prime lenses. Big difference.

May 24, 2022 at 03:40 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Camo lens tape for zooms.... (100-400 IS II)

TakesRandomPics wrote:
I tried measuring and cutting out strips and had a lot of issues with curves, now that you mention relief cuts it makes sense but I'm incapable of figuring that out ahead of time ....

Which is not a problem when using neoprene because it gives you enough stretch. The lens hood is wider at the front than at the rear, but a straight cut of neoprene works because you can get enough extra stretch at the front but the rear still remains tight enough.

May 24, 2022 at 03:44 PM
docusync
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Camo lens tape for zooms.... (100-400 IS II)

Imagemaster wrote:
This thread is about covering zoom lenses, not prime lenses. Big difference.

Are you saying that zoom lenses are unaffected by thermal expansion? The 100-500 is a bright white lens. Is it bright white for a reason? Most likely. It's the second lens (after the 70-200/2.8) with Canon's new heat-shield white coating.

Edited on May 24, 2022 at 05:44 PM · View previous versions

May 24, 2022 at 05:04 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password