5       6       end

61MP Sony A7R V specifications leaked

chez
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #1 · p.4 #1 · 61MP Sony A7R V specifications leaked

KarmaKramer wrote:
Another ďupgradeĒ!!
Remember when you had a camera for 7-10 years? The GASíers are keeping this train running I guess. Seems a bit unnecessary but Iím sure credit cards will be burning up for this one. Iím still eyeing another used A9

Had my Pentax Spotmatic for more than 15 years...would have been longer but it was stolen. The beauty of film cameras is they changed as new and improved films emerged.

May 20, 2022 at 05:22 PM
rattlebonez
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #2 · p.4 #2 · 61MP Sony A7R V specifications leaked

Hopefully A7R V will fix A7R IV bad focus with 200-600 lens & being prone to noise in images

May 20, 2022 at 05:23 PM
nhsonyshooter
• • •
p.4 #3 · p.4 #3 · 61MP Sony A7R V specifications leaked

mojoh wrote:
SAR says the A7RV leaked specs is likely incorrect as it is from a new unknown source..

https://www.sonyalpharumors.com/lets-discuss-those-allegedly-leaked-sony-a7rv-specs/

Soooo It's a "rumor"

May 20, 2022 at 05:51 PM
Dr Al
• •
p.4 #4 · p.4 #4 · 61MP Sony A7R V specifications leaked

I guess it just comes down to what you expect to do with the camera. If you think it'll be a poor mans A1 then it just might be. I see the R series first as a high MP landscape camera. I don't see much on that list that makes this a better landscape camera. Sure, if you own one body, being able to shoot things like BIF better than the 4 would be welcomed.

But I don't lots of people buying a $4k+ body with a slight bump in resolution over the A1 because they can't afford the A1. How far behind is the next A9? It's sure to get a bump in MP and AF. So who is this camera for? I can easily see the guy with an A7Rii seeing this as a nice bump. It could temp the A7Rii owner to do the upgrade. But how many people are going to see the A7Riva being $1000+ cheaper and say the improvements are a must have? I can remember when the Riv came out and most reviewers said it wasn't enough of an improvement to justify upgrading from the Riii. These specs are even less of an improvement from the previous body.

May 20, 2022 at 05:52 PM
sismailian
• • •
p.4 #5 · p.4 #5 · 61MP Sony A7R V specifications leaked

Well that makes me be even happier having my a7r4 if these rumors are true mostly. Wouldn't surprise me if they did in fact chose to not go above 61mp as 61 is more than most landscape photographers would want. Of course people always want more MP...

I can't see myself upgrading as these are pretty incremental upgrades. The cf express cards are nice but I don't need really faster readout speeds for landscape and event/portrait photography really as I am super happy with my a7r4!

Edited on May 20, 2022 at 06:08 PM · View previous versions

May 20, 2022 at 06:06 PM
RoamingScott
• • • • •
p.4 #6 · p.4 #6 · 61MP Sony A7R V specifications leaked

The R4 is a good landscape camera to be sure, but I (a single body shooter) moved away from it to what I think is a better option for landscape (and less MP too!). Iím not really interested in a 60+ FF sensor any longer for landscapes, unless they have some wild new noise reduction tech.

Yeah, the new camera is worse at BIF than the R4 was, but to be honest, you should shoot an A9 or A1 if thatís your core interest.

Dr Al wrote:
I guess it just comes down to what you expect to do with the camera. If you think it'll be a poor mans A1 then it just might be. I see the R series first as a high MP landscape camera. I don't see much on that list that makes this a better landscape camera. Sure, if you own one body, being able to shoot things like BIF better than the 4 would be welcomed.

But I don't lots of people buying a $4k+ body with a slight bump in resolution over the A1 because they can't afford the
...Show more

May 20, 2022 at 06:08 PM
molson
• • • • • •
p.4 #7 · p.4 #7 · 61MP Sony A7R V specifications leaked

rattlebonez wrote:
Hopefully A7R V will fix A7R IV bad focus with 200-600 lens & being prone to noise in images

It's hard to fix what isn't broken... I've never seen either of these issues in my A7R IVa or the A7R IV before it.

May 20, 2022 at 06:23 PM
Dr Al
• •
p.4 #8 · p.4 #8 · 61MP Sony A7R V specifications leaked

It's possible that Sony couldn't get a 100mp sensor ready in time. The more I think about it the more I would want to see the bump in MP to entice me to upgrade. It would be helpful for cropping. But it would need to be done right.

On occasion I take my 200-600 when I hike up a couple of the local mountains. Some still have fire towers on them that allow for both wide and tele shots. At 600mm shooting very long range there's plenty of challenges. One is that 600mm isn't always enough. I haven't added a TC yet but not spending $500 for one and putting it towards a higher MP body would help make sense for me upgrading.

May 20, 2022 at 07:01 PM
DavidBM
• • • • •
p.4 #9 · p.4 #9 · 61MP Sony A7R V specifications leaked

If these specs are right, I'm a little mystified by all the claims it's a minor refresh or incremental. It seems about as big a change as most of the other r series changes.

What we get is just about everything new in the Sony world since the r4 came out. Which is about what we always get. What more could people want? Focus bracketing (yeah maybe so)? 100MP? Well that latter thing I'm pretty sure I don't want. Not because I wouldn't like a few more MP if it made no difference. And not because the per pixel quality might be a little less (people obsess about per pixel quality over whole of image quality, which probably wouldn't be worse in most ways, and would be better in terms of moire and false colour).

Rather it's just that with the current level of tech, we could have a camera overall about as operational fast as the current r4 or even a little slower and 100MP; or a camera which uses the latest gen of electronics to get rid of the last operational niggles keeping it at 61MP. Which is what I for one would prefer. Sure, maybe people who shoot distant wildlife and relentlessly crop might prefer otherwise. Or no, depending on how much the operational niggles matter.

What (if this is right) we are getting is an A1 with a much lower burst rate and a few more MP. Crucially the better EVF, which is what I most care about. And that's exactly the camera I want, especially if it's significantly cheaper than the A1 because it's not sports optimised.

May 20, 2022 at 07:48 PM
johnahill
• • • •
p.4 #10 · p.4 #10 · 61MP Sony A7R V specifications leaked

If I could add one of those features to my a7riv it would be the anti dust system which I guess is a carry over from the A1

May 21, 2022 at 04:30 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

johnahill
• • • •
p.4 #11 · p.4 #11 · 61MP Sony A7R V specifications leaked

DavidBM wrote:
If these specs are right, I'm a little mystified by all the claims it's a minor refresh or incremental. It seems about as big a change as most of the other r series changes.

What we get is just about everything new in the Sony world since the r4 came out. Which is about what we always get. What more could people want? Focus bracketing (yeah maybe so)? 100MP? Well that latter thing I'm pretty sure I don't want. Not because I wouldn't like a few more MP if it made no difference. And not because the per pixel quality might
...Show more

As a hi-res camera the R has always been a go-to for landscapers, and we're still limited to bulb mode beyond 30s. Let's be honest bulb mode sucks, please give us timed exposures beyond 30s Sony

May 21, 2022 at 04:34 AM
Viramati
• • •
p.4 #12 · p.4 #12 · 61MP Sony A7R V specifications leaked

Looks like an awesome camera but I'll be sticking with my A7riii as my 2nd body as for me it still hit's the sweet spot for file size and landscape photography

May 21, 2022 at 04:46 AM
Uncle Chip
• •
p.4 #13 · p.4 #13 · 61MP Sony A7R V specifications leaked

I spent ages deliberating between the A9 and A7riv went for the A9 and although I am happy I missed those MP,
If these are true then a choice between the A9ii/iii and A7rv would leave me with the A7rv,

I think this is a solid upgrade and a world away from the original A7r, well done Sony

May 21, 2022 at 05:27 AM
Petegh
• •
p.4 #14 · p.4 #14 · 61MP Sony A7R V specifications leaked

RoamingScott wrote:
The R4 is a good landscape camera to be sure, but I (a single body shooter) moved away from it to what I think is a better option for landscape (and less MP too!). Iím not really interested in a 60+ FF sensor any longer for landscapes, unless they have some wild new noise reduction tech.

Yeah, the new camera is worse at BIF than the R4 was, but to be honest, you should shoot an A9 or A1 if thatís your core interest.

I presume you are referring to the Nikon Z7II? I'd be interested in a short summation as to why you think its a better camera for landscape, as I'll probably be swapping to it if Sony doesn't include focus stacking in the RV.

May 21, 2022 at 07:02 AM
RoamingScott
• • • • •
p.4 #15 · p.4 #15 · 61MP Sony A7R V specifications leaked

Lower base ISO, better IBIS, more long exposure options, focus stacking when needed, and for my needs their 24-120 is in a whole different league then the Sony 24-105 IQ wise (my hiking workhorse). The Z7ii sensor is like the Sony A7R3 sensor but better, somehow!

Petegh wrote:
I presume you are referring to the Nikon Z7II? I'd be interested in a short summation as to why you think its a better camera for landscape, as I'll probably be swapping to it if Sony doesn't include focus stacking in the RV.

May 21, 2022 at 07:42 AM
Petegh
• •
p.4 #16 · p.4 #16 · 61MP Sony A7R V specifications leaked

Interesting comments from many.

I think the real problem for Sony if they play it safe with these specs, will be the Z800, which can't be too far away; that is, will the Z800 continue the Nikon lead in image quality, which they've had since the debut of the real iso64 setting? Will the Z800 use the 61Mp Sony sensor and have iso64? Or will Nikon show some real balls, and use the 100Mp sensor (they have certainly been going all out recently).

'R is for resolution', Sony proudly proclaimed in the marketing blurb when the R-series was born; that's probably shifted (or at lest should have), to 'R is for maximum image quality', now that the MP race has faded somewhat from the common psyche. What matters most for landscape photographers 'is' image quality. Sony's recent sensor development, that allows a larger photodiode area/pixel, should allow a 100Mp sensor with no noise penalty over the current 60Mp one, and that, on top of the image quality improvements that down-resing can provide (and they are image quality improvements
that no other method can produce)

The other squeeze factor for Sony, is going to come from Fuji. Sony has already lost market share amongst landscape photographers, to the GFX. With the next round of sensor development well under way, a 150MP 44x33mm sensor can't be too far off: 61Mp will be looking pretty measley by comparison then!

So, I think to future proof the RV, Sony should go with their 102MP sensor, or at the very least, release a RVr - a second body with higher MP's.

May 21, 2022 at 07:45 AM
Petegh
• •
p.4 #17 · p.4 #17 · 61MP Sony A7R V specifications leaked

RoamingScott wrote:
Lower base ISO, better IBIS, more long exposure options, focus stacking when needed, and for my needs their 24-120 is in a whole different league then the Sony 24-105 IQ wise (my hiking workhorse). The Z7ii sensor is like the Sony A7R3 sensor but better, somehow!

Thanks Scott. Yes, all image quality reasons that are very important to landscape photographers. A lot of the operational/ergo stuff that Sony uses to market its 'new models', should of been sorted out years ago. I think a Z7 and the 24-120f4 would be a very useful combo to have at hand, when my Sony lets me down in the field.

May 21, 2022 at 07:55 AM
DavidBM
• • • • •
p.4 #18 · p.4 #18 · 61MP Sony A7R V specifications leaked

johnahill wrote:
As a hi-res camera the R has always been a go-to for landscapers, and we're still limited to bulb mode beyond 30s. Let's be honest bulb mode sucks, please give us timed exposures beyond 30s Sony

How much do you want it? Noise gets a lot worse quickly after 30sec which is why many cameras have shorter limits than film cameras did. You are better off taking a 30 sec exposure, waiting little and taking another and blending. But it is more hassle.

Edited on May 26, 2022 at 05:16 PM · View previous versions

May 21, 2022 at 07:59 AM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.4 #19 · p.4 #19 · 61MP Sony A7R V specifications leaked

Petegh wrote:
Interesting comments from many.

I think the real problem for Sony if they play it safe with these specs, will be the Z800, which can't be too far away; that is, will the Z800 continue the Nikon lead in image quality, which they've had since the debut of the real iso64 setting? Will the Z800 use the 61Mp Sony sensor and have iso64? Or will Nikon show some real balls, and use the 100Mp sensor (they have certainly been going all out recently).

'R is for resolution', Sony proudly proclaimed in the marketing blurb when the R-series was born; that's probably shifted
...Show more

Do you feel Sony is more concerned about Fuji which had a market share of about 5% or Canon which has a market share of about 45%?

May 21, 2022 at 07:59 AM
Petegh
• •
p.4 #20 · p.4 #20 · 61MP Sony A7R V specifications leaked

chez wrote:
Do you feel Sony is more concerned about Fuji which had a market share of about 5% or Canon which has a market share of about 45%?

Sony has repeatedly stated that they want to maintain their number one position in full frame cameras; to have any chance of doing that, they can't afford to bleed sales to anyone, nor can they afford to be timid.

May 21, 2022 at 08:35 AM
1       2       3      
       5       6       end

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       5       6       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password