New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2022 · GFX raw images on an old Mac

photo-guy
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · GFX raw images on an old Mac

Is anyone else having trouble processing .raf files using OS 13.6? I am running Photoshop 2020 but I cannot use the newest version of Adobe Camera Raw. Even the capture one software is tough to use because it runs so slow. This was not a problem with the raw Hasselblad files.

I am hesitant to upgrade to a new computer because my old 2012 MacPro has a ton of upgrades and runs like a top on any other files I throw at it. I am a 30+ year Photoshop junkie and I would really like to stay within their environment. Ideas?

Ed Shotwell

May 19, 2022 at 09:56 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · GFX raw images on an old Mac

photo-guy wrote:
Is anyone else having trouble processing .raf files using OS 13.6? I am running Photoshop 2020 but I cannot use the newest version of Adobe Camera Raw. Even the capture one software is tough to use because it runs so slow. This was not a problem with the raw Hasselblad files.

I am hesitant to upgrade to a new computer because my old 2012 MacPro has a ton of upgrades and runs like a top on any other files I throw at it. I am a 30+ year Photoshop junkie and I would really like to stay within their environment. Ideas?

Ed
...Show more

Can't answer your question about GFX files, but a 10-year-old Mac is getting a bit long in the tooth. Have you gotten to the point where you can no longer install the latest system updates?

I was using a couple of Macs of similar vintage and I finally had to give in and replace them a year or so ago. Maybe it is time!

Good luck!

May 19, 2022 at 10:20 PM
Makten
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · GFX raw images on an old Mac

If you are not interested in Fujifilms specific profiles/simulations, you can always convert the RAF's to DNG. Then you should be able to process the files even with old ACR versions, I think.
I did that before I got a new computer and it worked. There will most likely be a bit of fiddling to create a good conversion profile with reasonable colors though, at first.

May 20, 2022 at 01:48 AM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · GFX raw images on an old Mac

Ed is way past due for a new Mac, and the new M1's take everything to a new level in performance. Those GFX 100s files process in under a second to a ±580 mb file, running Capture One and all of the Adobe apps natively for the M1. And those 100s files coming off the latest version of C1 are just amazing. Crazy good. The idea of making dng's out of all your files and then reinventing the processing wheel in ACR or Lr is an exercise in wasting time. I think Canon was the first third party camera supported by Phase and they've been consistently the best Canon processing for the last twenty years, but these 100s files, well, they're on a different level.

May 20, 2022 at 03:18 AM

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.