New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

2       3              6       7       end

Archive 2022 · Mac for beginners ...

RustyBug
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Mac for beginners ...

I have NOT purchased a Mac, but I signed up for a Mac for beginners class from the Apple store.

As a long time PC user ... any insight to what to expect same / different from PC?

I may be in the market for a new rig (demoting this one to another function), so I figured I might take a look at the Mac ... to see if it can grab me any differently than it has when I've putzed with it on the sales floor in years past. Try and give it a fair shake, kind of thing.

Any insight to prep me for my first dance with the Mac is welcome.

That, and any ideas for dealing with the sharp, knife edge on the front?

May 18, 2022 at 08:04 PM
pliukait
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Mac for beginners ...

Hi Kent. I use both equally, ambidextrous, sort of. There are differences in the way things work between a Mac and a PC, but in general, what ever you do with a PC you can do on the Mac.

The way the keys work are different, for example, closing an app on a Mac is Command-Q, it's Alt-F4 in Windows.
The Mac Command key works like the PC Ctrl Key.

I use Firefox & Thunderbird, they work the same on the PC & Mac. Same with Lightroom & Photoshop.
Microsoft Office is slightly different between the Mac & PC.

But there are some apps that I use on the PC, Irfanview for example, does not work on the Mac, unless you setup a Windows environment on the Mac.

Hardware wise, Macs are expensive, no doubt, you can get some pretty cheap PCs. But my wife's Dell XPS 13, 8GB, 256GB SSD is comparable in proce to a MacBook Air, 8GB, 256GB SSD.

It will just take getting used to. But if I can do it, anyone can. I came from a Windows background during my work life, but after I retired 10 years ago, I got into the Mac world. I've even ventured into Linux, things are quite different there.

I'll admit that Windows 11, in my experience for what it's worth, is pretty good, as compared to Windows prior versions.

But the thing I like most about my Mac is the way my iPhone & iPad all incorporate together very well, no hoops to jump through to get things configured, it just works.

Good luck.....Pete

May 18, 2022 at 09:18 PM
melcat
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Mac for beginners ...

Realise and accept that it is a mouse/trackpad oriented interface rather than a keyboard one. I see lots of complaints about the Finder and window management which really boil down to people not wanting to use direct manipulation.

Example: you don't "cut" or "copy" file names like in Windows; instead, you select files with the mouse and possibly the SHIFT and COMMAND modifiers, and then drag them to another Finder window (holding down OPTION or COMMAND to force a copy or move). Keyboard types complain that they can't select the destination window with their keyboard...

So if the instructor teaches you a direct manipulation method with the trackpad, don't let your mind wander waiting for a keyboard alternative to follow. Even if it exists, they probably won't cover it in the time available.

May 18, 2022 at 09:23 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Mac for beginners ...

Thanks guys, I'll tuck those nuggets in my hip pocket.

May 18, 2022 at 11:06 PM
tcphoto
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Mac for beginners ...

I've only owned Mac computers dating back to the Power Mac 7500 in '94 or so. As stated, Macs are a mouse and keyboard driven system and the dock on the bottom of the display makes it easy to launch applications. No matter what machine you buy, it's important to have a backup system in place and follow it religiously. I have three external drives, two are matching with Capture One Sessions from shoots, edited images and studio paperwork. The third drive is for running Time Machine in case there's an issue with lost items or failure. Luckily, I've only had one issue with the first machine but Apple made it right. These days, I wouldn't buy an Intel machine since Apple has moved on to their M chips. I saw a video guy post when the MBP was released, he had no issues with a 14" MBP base configuration.

May 19, 2022 at 08:53 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Mac for beginners ...

"Mouse and keyboard driven system"

Not sure I follow how that differentiates itself for Mac. I use mouse (or touchpad) and keyboard currently. Could you expand / clarify the differential?

May 19, 2022 at 09:04 AM
gregfountain
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Mac for beginners ...

Hi Kent,

I use Windows at work and MacOS at home. The main difference for me, other than a different GUI on the desktop, is the fact that MacOS is integrated with Mac hardware, which mostly eliminates conflicts between the two vs sometimes having issues with the hardware PC makers choose that may not integrate as well.

Also, Mac applications are more sandboxed, meaning the software relies less on shared resources like PC's do.

While I use a program called "Clean My Mac" to run maintenance scripts including software removal, In most cases, you can simply delete an application without affecting other applications. Adobe software is the exception. Maybe that's why Steve Jobs hated them? I dunno. But Adobe does include uninstaller apps to remove apps if needed.

As mentioned, keyboard modifiers and shortcuts are different, but take little effort to learn. For instance, I frequently have to type "CNTL-0176" to get the "º" symbol for reports at work involving temperature. Here, on my Mac, I simply hold the option key while pressing zero. Things like that (if it matters) are just simpler for me. There are dozens of keyboard shortcut cheat sheets on the internet.

I only use Safari myself, but most browsers, including MS Edge, are available for the Mac.

As for input; I use a Logitech MX keyboard and mouse that can switch between my Mac Mini, iPad and MacBook Air, or the Apple Trackpad, that once again, connects to all three.

More expensive? Yes. But for me, everything just works flawlessly which "for me" has value.

Enjoy your class and while it may not be covered in a beginners class, be sure to ask about file formats. As photographers, we often save images to a portable hard drive, SSD or maybe even a USB thumb drive, all of which should be formatted in the Windows FAT format if you plan on using them with both a Mac and PC.

May 19, 2022 at 10:20 AM
tcphoto
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Mac for beginners ...

RustyBug wrote:
"Mouse and keyboard driven system"

Not sure I follow how that differentiates itself for Mac. I use mouse (or touchpad) and keyboard currently. Could you expand / clarify the differential?

The times that I saw my family use their Windows based machines they were opening a lot of windows/folders to find what they needed. It seemed to be counter-intuitive compared to when I click on an icon in the dock. I know that Operating Systems evolve but I do remember hearing a lot about multiple Windows updates compared to much fewer in the Mac OS.

May 19, 2022 at 11:54 AM
Zenon Char
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Mac for beginners ...

Mac has 3 libraries. System (image 1) is the OS and I never go in there. User (image 2) has contains. movies, documents, etc. Library (image 3) has Application Support, Caches, etc.

You can also access the Library (and often instructed to do so) by selecting GO - Library in the left upper bar when it's on Finder. It is the same Library as in image 1. I wish I had known right that right away after switching to Mac.

Library, System and

May 20, 2022 at 07:41 AM
Zenon Char
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Mac for beginners ...

The Library is important with the Application Support folder. I do regular simple maintenance and I clean out the cache every once in a while. I’ll post procedure later.

Mac’s default location for LrC Catalogue is in Pictures, I’d you use it. I’ll do a few more screen shots later.

May 20, 2022 at 08:43 AM
Zenon Char
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Mac for beginners ...

As I stated if you open the Library this way you need to press and hold down the Option key ti make it appear. Apple hides it for some reason. You can unhide it.

https://appletoolbox.com/unhide-access-mac-library-folder/

Using Finder to open Library is the same one when accessing it via the HD. As I stated I wish I had known about this much earlier.

May 21, 2022 at 09:02 AM
Zenon Char
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Mac for beginners ...

The Library has a folder called Preferences which contains play lists - .plist.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/1869002

It's rare but sometimes a .plist becomes corrupt. It's only happened about 5 times to over 15 years but it's good to know about it. You just delete the corrupt .plist.

It happened twice with Canon's DPP. It just kept crashing after opening it and it took forever to find the answer.

https://community.usa.canon.com/t5/Camera-Software/DPP4-crashes-every-time-I-open-it/td-p/212889

May 21, 2022 at 09:09 AM
Zenon Char
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Mac for beginners ...

NOTE: Safari Preferences – Advanced - insure “show develop in menu bar” is selected
I use Safari as my primary browser. Sometimes it doesn't play nice with some sites. Air Portugal is one example. I'll use Firefox or Google as a back up.

Here is my routine maintenance procedure.

Clear Brower History

Safari - Develop - Clear Cache

Finder - Go – Library – Caches - Select all and Delete ALL

Finder – Go – Library – Safari – Databases

1. Delete all Folders except - IndexedDB
2. Open IndexedDB and Delete all Folders. Sometimes this is where they hide stuff.

Safari - Preferences - Privacy - Manage website Data - Remove All

Restart Computer.

May 21, 2022 at 09:25 AM
Zenon Char
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Mac for beginners ...

Lastly I have never used an anti virus program. I installed the free version of Malwarebytes and run it one a month or so. If you phone Apple support they ask you to install and run it. They used to and it has been a while since I called them and that may have changed.

May 21, 2022 at 09:30 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Mac for beginners ...

Thanks Zenon,

Plenty to digest ... Seems that it'll have an element of learning a new language, too.

May 21, 2022 at 11:48 AM
bobby350z
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Mac for beginners ...

RustyBug wrote:
Thanks Zenon,

Plenty to digest ... Seems that it'll have an element of learning a new language, too.

Personally he is making it harder than it needs to be me. Go to your class, you will see.

May 21, 2022 at 01:47 PM
Zenon Char
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Mac for beginners ...

RustyBug wrote:
Thanks Zenon,

It is different than a PC but not that tough. I still have PC for some old games and I hate the OS compared to a Mac. The only reason I brought up the Library access is you will likely go in there. I made a few mistakes at first because I didn't realize it was the same folder.

May 21, 2022 at 02:27 PM
Zenon Char
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Mac for beginners ...

bobby350z wrote:
Personally he is making it harder than it needs to be me. Go to your class, you will see.

Maybe. I think it is important to know what the 3 libraries are for. The User library is basic but I'm the Library quite a bit.

May 21, 2022 at 02:35 PM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Mac for beginners ...

I agree that some of this has been made needlessly complicated. Take is slow and like anything new, try to learn it a bit at a time and pretty soon it will all start making sense. Most of the way the OS works is fairly intuitive but when you've be ingrained with a different way of doing things it won't seem intuitive at first.

One of the things I would do is purchase the inexpensive maintenance utility called MacOSX Cocktail, which has specific versions for each OS version, and run that every couple of weeks. The Mac OS WILL do most of the routines that Cocktail does automatically in the middle of the night but only if your computer is on and awake. Cocktail does a whole host of things like daily, weekly and monthly OS tasks, repairing permissions, clearing caches etc. and if you find things acting a little weird or just a bit sluggish, Cocktail can clean all that up in few minutes. The other utility that's already on the computer is called Disk Utility which is in Applications>Utilities subfolder and can be used to format, reformat, partition drives and most importantly, repair damaged drives, and is something that should be run (the repair function) maybe once every couple of months or so.

The biggest mistake I see people make is not doing any sort of maintenance whatsoever and then seem mystified when something stops working. You don't have to do a lot but you do have to do a little.

The last thing to mention here, because the last thing you need is to get too bogged down in minutia, is to get another separate drive that is at least as big, and preferably considerably bigger than your internal startup drive, which is always called Macintosh HD by default, and set that external drive for what Apple calls Time Machine. Time Machine is a semi or fully automated backup system that, while not perfect, can be so useful in restoring data either from a failed drive or just user stupidity by deleting something inadvertently.

I think that in very little time you'll be more or less up to speed and enjoying the experience, and if everything is working well, the OS just sort of disappears and it's one less thing to worry about.

May 21, 2022 at 03:39 PM
Zenon Char
• • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Mac for beginners ...

Peter Figen wrote:
I agree that some of this has been made needlessly complicated. Take is slow and like anything new, try to learn it a bit at a time and pretty soon it will all start making sense. Most of the way the OS works is fairly intuitive but when you've be ingrained with a different way of doing things it won't seem intuitive at first.

One of the things I would do is purchase the inexpensive maintenance utility called MacOSX Cocktail, which has specific versions for each OS version, and run that every couple of weeks. The Mac OS WILL
...Show more

That sounds complicated to me Just kidding

May 21, 2022 at 04:44 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.