Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2022 · Fisheye or Laowa 7.5mm users - will you buy the PanaLeica 9mm?

faunagraphy

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Fisheye or Laowa 7.5mm users - will you buy the PanaLeica 9mm?

I love my Olympus 8mm Pro. It replaced my Rokinon 7.5mm fisheye which also I loved. My reason for using fisheyes is the ability to shoot wide angle macros thanks to the excellent magnification at MFD.

Now comes the Panasonic 9mm, which unlike other UWA lenses seems to be a decent macro lens! Even better than the 8mm Pro in fact, with a magnification of 0.25x vs. 0.2x on the 8mm Pro.

Question: If you shoot a fisheye, or even a small, bright UWA like the Laowa 7.5mm, will you buy the PanaLeica 9mm?

It seems to offer the best of all worlds. Small, light, bright, great magnification, rectilinear and AFFORDABLE - as cheap as many manual focus third-party UWA primes.

My thoughts: If I were to choose between purchasing the 8mm Pro and PL 9mm now, I would choose the PanaLeica, not the least because of the price difference.

However I love the greater span of background seen in macro shots with the fisheye lens which rectilinear lenses cannot match. The 8mm can also be defished to be significantly wider than the 9mm. And ultimately the difference between 0.2x and 0.25x is something I can live with.

So it isn't enough of a reason for me to replace my 8mm Pro, but if I were a new buyer, I'd definitely swing for the PanaLeica.

Thoughts?

May 17, 2022 at 07:27 PM
FJR1
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Fisheye or Laowa 7.5mm users - will you buy the PanaLeica 9mm?

Good question and analysis. My widest lens is the 8-25 f/4 zoom, so I am looking at UWA primes: either the new Panasonic 9mm or the Olympus 8mm. I will be interested to hear what others think, as I currently don't have experience with the wide angle primes.

May 18, 2022 at 07:24 AM
stan2
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Fisheye or Laowa 7.5mm users - will you buy the PanaLeica 9mm?

I have the Laowa 7.5 and I just bought an 8-25/f4 so I'm not feeling the need for the new PL9mm. I did point my cousin to it though, and I'll be interested in the reviews and comparisons.

May 18, 2022 at 09:09 AM
Robin Smith
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Fisheye or Laowa 7.5mm users - will you buy the PanaLeica 9mm?

Probably will buy it. I may sell my Leica 8-18mm. I also have the Samyang fisheye, but want the Olympus 8mm (it's a little pricey for me). 9mm looks to be a good one. My other interest is the 10mm Laowa. It will be interesting to see comparisons between the two. I'd prefer the 9mm as it has AF and is wider, but we shall see. Nice addition to the m43 range.

May 18, 2022 at 09:20 AM
faunagraphy

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Fisheye or Laowa 7.5mm users - will you buy the PanaLeica 9mm?

FJR1 wrote:
Good question and analysis. My widest lens is the 8-25 f/4 zoom, so I am looking at UWA primes: either the new Panasonic 9mm or the Olympus 8mm. I will be interested to hear what others think, as I currently don't have experience with the wide angle primes.

Although the Olympus 8mm and Panasonic 9mm have similar focal lengths and apertures, the Oly 8mm is a fisheye and the 9mm is a rectilinear design (as you know). What this means is that the angle of view of the 8mm is a lot wider (180 degrees) than that of the 9mm (100 degrees).

The 8mm can be defished in-camera for certain OM-D bodies with 3 default settings. Each defishing setting crops the native field of view, but despite this, it's equivalent to a 5.5mm rectilinear lens after defishing at the widest setting - so a lot wider than the 9mm. A defished JPEG has fewer megapixels than the native RAW file due to cropping. The other two settings correspond to 6.5mm and 9mm, I think (not sure).

UWA lenses can be a liability unless you're able to get close to the main subject. A landscape shot will have too much sky and foreground in it and any detail on the main subject will be lost.

May 20, 2022 at 02:41 PM
faunagraphy

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Fisheye or Laowa 7.5mm users - will you buy the PanaLeica 9mm?

Robin Smith wrote:
Probably will buy it. I may sell my Leica 8-18mm. I also have the Samyang fisheye, but want the Olympus 8mm (it's a little pricey for me). 9mm looks to be a good one. My other interest is the 10mm Laowa. It will be interesting to see comparisons between the two. I'd prefer the 9mm as it has AF and is wider, but we shall see. Nice addition to the m43 range.

No experience with either lens, but aside from the obvious (MF vs AF) it seems that the 10mm is sharper in the corners than the 9mm.

May 20, 2022 at 02:42 PM
Jorgen Udvang
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Fisheye or Laowa 7.5mm users - will you buy the PanaLeica 9mm?

I have the Zuiko 8mm Fisheye and the Panasonic 7-14mm. I will most probably buy both the PL 9mm and the Laowa 6mm. I do have special wide-angle needs though, shooting yacht interiors, photo and video.

May 24, 2022 at 10:37 PM

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.