Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       5       end

Your favorite buying stop for photographic equipments?

Bob49

Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #1 · p.4 #1 · Your favorite buying stop for photographic equipments?

Stewarts Photo in Anchorage. 907 272-8581. Knowledgable staff, lots of inventory, no sales tax. I have no connection, but have purchased a lot of gear there.

Edit regarding sales tax: I didn't mean to suggest Stewarts would fail to charge sales tax on shipments to taxed locations or assist in inappropriate tax avoidance. But Anchorage has no sales tax currently, so in-store pickups are not taxed.

Edited on Jun 13, 2022 at 10:19 AM · View previous versions

Jun 06, 2022 at 08:55 PM
johnbro27
• •
p.4 #2 · p.4 #2 · Your favorite buying stop for photographic equipments?

Surprised not to see Seattle's Glazer's Camera listed yet. Great store with a good rental outlet. Have bought there for over 20 years. Now I live far enough away I buy everything on-line: used is Fred Miranda or MPB, sometimes I keep an item from lensrentals. New I've bought all over the map including Canon refurb, Glazers, B&H and Adorama. I've bought a bunch of sub $1k small items from B&H lately mostly because I can source them on their website and get them quickly (audio and video related stuff). I'd go to Glazers if they had a better online shopping experience. But, sadly, they don't.

Edit: One of the things that bugs me is folks who make beating sales tax a priority. Sales taxes pay for local services--it seems like if you live somewhere and use local services but organize your life to avoid paying for those services you're not being a good neighbor, yeah? I have to pay 10% sales tax and while I'm not thrilled by it, I also understand that I the people who DO pay have to also make up the slack for the people who DON'T pay. And this goes for online retailers who don't collect tax as well.

Jun 08, 2022 at 02:06 PM
exdeejjjaaaa
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #3 · p.4 #3 · Your favorite buying stop for photographic equipments?

johnbro27 wrote:
Sales taxes pay for local services--it seems like if you live somewhere and use local services but organize your life to avoid paying for those services you're not being a good neighbor, yeah?

they mostly pay for fat state & local muni employees, their benefits and their pension funds and so on ...

Jun 08, 2022 at 10:37 PM
agrumpyoldsod
• •
p.4 #4 · p.4 #4 · Your favorite buying stop for photographic equipments?

For a UK based Nikon shooter Greys of Westminster is the gold standard for new, used and antique Nikon gear. But they are not alone: Fixation Fixation (Vauxhall, London, UK) is now the No:1 spot for repairs and cleaning services, Nikon spare parts and new and used Nikon Gear (and all other brands). Fixation is now aligned/part of WEX and as a result has depe resources and contacts. While there are other national outlets and local shops none have consistently outperformed the rest as well as Greys or Fixation.

Jun 09, 2022 at 07:40 AM
johnbro27
• •
p.4 #5 · p.4 #5 · Your favorite buying stop for photographic equipments?

exdeejjjaaaa wrote:
they mostly pay for fat state & local muni employees, their benefits and their pension funds and so on ...

Right, like teachers, EMTs, fire fighters, police? Those fat employees? You know, my mother taught 2nd grade, my dad was a college professor at UCF, it was awesome having a 2nd home in the Hamptons we flew to every summer in our private jet.

Jun 09, 2022 at 03:02 PM
Laslo Varadi
• • •
p.4 #6 · p.4 #6 · Your favorite buying stop for photographic equipments?

exdeejjjaaaa wrote:

Good for you. It looks from your information, that you live off the map and donít use any of the state or local services the taxes fund.

Jun 11, 2022 at 09:07 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.4 #7 · p.4 #7 · Your favorite buying stop for photographic equipments?

johnbro27 wrote:
..., it was awesome having a 2nd home in the Hamptons we flew to every summer in our private jet.

That's where we keep our horses, Snoopy and Prickly Pete.

Jun 12, 2022 at 05:52 AM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • • •
p.4 #8 · p.4 #8 · Your favorite buying stop for photographic equipments?

B&H, Adorama, Amazon.....if I cant find/get in the 1st 2. ProFeel was my 1st choice. They would ALWAYS beat the B&H price by at least $50-150 and Free S&H but they bust when the economy tanked!
Dan

Jun 12, 2022 at 10:50 AM
Hartman2

p.4 #9 · p.4 #9 · Your favorite buying stop for photographic equipments?

I love stopping at Roberts! they have shut down one of their locations but their Indianapolis location is a great stop!

Jun 12, 2022 at 11:42 AM
ross attix
• • •
p.4 #10 · p.4 #10 · Your favorite buying stop for photographic equipments?

Ditto on Roberts. Unbelievable customer service. I had had many purchases from them, mostly used.

In 2020 I bought a used Hasselblad 150 CF. It was cosmetically perfect, but I noticed months later that the aperture was not right. It was just past the 6 months warranty.

I reached out to them and without hesitation they refunded me 100%, including shipping. Class outfit!

Jun 12, 2022 at 11:58 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

PhotoCyclist

p.4 #11 · p.4 #11 · Your favorite buying stop for photographic equipments?

One of our largest electronics chains in Portugal is a company called Worten.

I never used to buy my camera gear from them but all my Canon R and RF stuff have been because...they haven't a clue

They have sales pretty much every public holiday and often have them for camera gear.

RF70-200 2.8 L? RF100-500 L? Others? Brand new, nowhere has stock...they have a few...sales come up...20% discount!

So all my R and RF lenses were bought in sales.

I can only imagine their sales work on algorithms or something because anyone there actually 'in the know' about demand for these in the last couple of years would have let them sell at full price. It's not like they have been able to replenish stock quickly either, they struggle as much as everywhere it seems.

Jun 12, 2022 at 01:14 PM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
p.4 #12 · p.4 #12 · Your favorite buying stop for photographic equipments?

PAFL wrote:
Kinda neutral feeling with Roberts.
Great customer service, very helpful.
Just hate dealing with Paypal for online purchases...extra step of protection, but one more step.

Who's forcing you to use PayPal? And when you choose to use PP, what could be easier? I just wish Amazon would accept PP.

Jun 12, 2022 at 03:04 PM
Poefolk
• •
p.4 #13 · p.4 #13 · Your favorite buying stop for photographic equipments?

Pictureline in Salt Lake City, UT

I've never been to the store, but I've ordered a couple cameras and other gear from them and they've always been very helpful, and shipping was fast.
pictureline.com

FM Buy & Sell
Adorama

Jun 12, 2022 at 06:06 PM
sithbk
• • •
p.4 #14 · p.4 #14 · Your favorite buying stop for photographic equipments?

When major camera stores fail to obtain Nikon Z9 for me. I finally tried and check with my one and only local camera store on Oahu Hawaii. Boom, within 2 weeks of putting my name down Pro Camera Hawaii got me a brand new Z9 in January. I was shocked and happy to finally got one when B&H Photo, Adorama, Amazon and Best Buy failed me.

Just went in their shop today to check on anything new. Whoa, they have 2 copies of Tamron 35-150 f2-2.8 E-mount. Now all the big name stores donít have one. I decide to get one and ordered adaptor for it.

www.procamerahawaii.com is my go to camera store. If they donít have it they will get it for me. Now thatís a quality service. Plus Iím supporting my local camera store. Yay!!!

Aloha,
Sithbk

Jun 12, 2022 at 11:00 PM
Dustoff06
• •
p.4 #15 · p.4 #15 · Your favorite buying stop for photographic equipments?

While I would prefer a local dealer, they're all out of business. B&H is hard to beat, especially their return policies.

Jun 13, 2022 at 06:17 AM
gregfountain
• • • • •
p.4 #16 · p.4 #16 · Your favorite buying stop for photographic equipments?

I've pretty much stopped buying new gear, so most of my purchases are made here in the B&S forum. For small stuff like cards, straps, bags, etc, I use Amazon for convenience, and lately, even more so since going to Samy's adds another $40 for the fuel.

Jun 13, 2022 at 09:01 AM
RoamingScott
• • • • •
p.4 #17 · p.4 #17 · Your favorite buying stop for photographic equipments?

I'm slowly building a list of smaller "local" shops that I check on before I hit B&H.

Competitive Camera - Dallas
Pitman Photo Supply - Miami
Blue Moon Camera - Portland
Roberts - Indianapolis
Pictureline - SLC

Jun 13, 2022 at 09:45 AM
BobnJake
• • •
p.4 #18 · p.4 #18 · Your favorite buying stop for photographic equipments?

B&H and Allens's Camera in Levittown, Pa

Jun 14, 2022 at 03:40 PM
elkhornsun
• • • •
p.4 #19 · p.4 #19 · Your favorite buying stop for photographic equipments?

I do the majority of my camera and lenses purchases through Berger Bros. in New York. The owner, Brad Berger, is great to work with and responds to email and text and mobile phone calls which is most unlike B&H or Adorama.

It was with Brad's help that I got the 24-120mm, 100-400mm, second Z9, and a 800mm PF lens. Brad and his people maintain the order queue so your order does not get bumped or shipped to another customer as B&H did with my first Z9 order. Nikon NPS sent a Z9 to B&H with my pre-order number on the bill of lading but B&H sold it to someone else.

I have spent over $100,000 with B&H over the past 50 years but now I buy either direct from the manufacturer or from Berger Bros. or other small dealers. I would like to support small indiependent dealers on the west coast but all the ones around me closed their doors years ago.

Jun 18, 2022 at 04:46 PM
CPSU81

p.4 #20 · p.4 #20 · Your favorite buying stop for photographic equipments?

I prefer to buy local here in San Diego either Nelson's camera or George's camera. If they don't have it in stock then I look online.

Jun 21, 2022 at 05:54 PM
1       2       3      
       5       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       5       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password