New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2022 · Raven Flash Trigger

racerm

Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Raven Flash Trigger

Has anyone tried the Raven Flash trigger in the studio with strobes?

May 16, 2022 at 11:05 AM
CharleyL
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Raven Flash Trigger

They need to come down in price, way down from where they are, before I'll consider them.
I can have separate transmitters for each of my cameras and have spares too and have less invested than what they want for one.

Charley

May 16, 2022 at 02:05 PM
tcphoto
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Raven Flash Trigger

At $399, I will pass and stick with my PlusX and FlexTT6 kit.

May 16, 2022 at 03:26 PM
jlafferty
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Raven Flash Trigger

Seems to get solid reviews. I might consider one if it weren't for the fact that I've already got three $69 triggers that are OK.

May 16, 2022 at 05:47 PM
JohnSil
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Raven Flash Trigger

racerm wrote:
Has anyone tried the Raven Flash trigger in the studio with strobes?

I'd never heard of them so I looked them up.
Interesting especially made by Pocket Wizard since they do know a thing or two about triggers!
IF you had two different brands that you needed to control and they would operate flawlessly at TTL and HHS might be worth it. Not cheap but other than Chinese triggers, triggers are expensive.
I run my three Orlit lights and can mix in my Canon EX600's with my Canon branded trigger.
Any cheap Chinese trigger will run lights if you use the matching receivers. But running two different brand lights that have built-in receivers is a different animal. The ability to do that might be worth it?!
Separate triggers and receivers just adds twice as much to go wrong or twice as many batteries to make sure are always charged and that doesn't always happen....., been there and done that!!
John

May 16, 2022 at 10:45 PM
kaplah
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Raven Flash Trigger

JohnSil wrote:
Any cheap Chinese trigger will run lights if you use the matching receivers. But running two different brand lights that have built-in receivers is a different animal. The ability to do that might be worth it?!
Separate triggers and receivers just adds twice as much to go wrong or twice as many batteries to make sure are always charged and that doesn't always happen....., been there and done that!!
John

I was interested in the Raven from the standpoint of blending PCB and speedlights, but I can trigger my Nikon speedlights with the WR-T10/WR-R10 combo, or my Godox ones with an XT-N1 with a Buff trigger stacked on it. I've done so and the complexity was manageable (albeit more than a single trigger).

Regarding non-Chinese triggers are expensive: a PCB CC is $180, the Hub is $200. Raven is $400. The Raven can do more in some ways (e.g., range extension and multiple brands), the PCB systems more in others, but the Raven is still quite expensive. If you want one trigger to control two different brands, it's the only game in town.

May 17, 2022 at 02:19 PM
JohnSil
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Raven Flash Trigger

kaplah wrote:
I was interested in the Raven from the standpoint of blending PCB and speedlights, but I can trigger my Nikon speedlights with the WR-T10/WR-R10 combo, or my Godox ones with an XT-N1 with a Buff trigger stacked on it. I've done so and the complexity was manageable (albeit more than a single trigger).

Regarding non-Chinese triggers are expensive: a PCB CC is $180, the Hub is $200. Raven is $400. The Raven can do more in some ways (e.g., range extension and multiple brands), the PCB systems more in others, but the Raven is still quite expensive. If you want one
...Show more

Yes there are some work-arounds on a single brand. BUT as you said to trigger, say a couple Profotos and a few Buffs or Godox lights, that's different. AND if the Profotos required a Profoto trigger they're probably $400 by themselves! LoL
I'm certainly not gonna run out and buy one but the possibilities are interesting if you shoot those brands.
John

May 18, 2022 at 12:43 AM
kaplah
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Raven Flash Trigger

JohnSil wrote:
AND if the Profotos required a Profoto trigger they're probably $400 by themselves! LoL

I had always heard Profoto was expensive, so prompted by your post I checked on B&H. The Nikon version of the Air Remote is $440. At those prices it should trigger the lights and pose the model for you! And I own two triggers for each of my systems, as a backup, so that would be $880.

May 18, 2022 at 07:28 AM
Scullen

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Raven Flash Trigger

Racerm

Was there a specific question you had about using the Raven, Z7, autofocus, and strobes? I work for FusionTLC as a consultant and with customer support and maybe I can answer a question you might have?

May 19, 2022 at 08:13 PM
racerm

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Raven Flash Trigger

Yes I was wondering if the AF assist/modeling light was useful to the Z7 in low light studio environments.

May 21, 2022 at 06:47 PM
Scullen

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Raven Flash Trigger

Racerm

Yes, the Raven's AF assist light is useful and pretty bright and should help the Z7 in low-light studio environments, but it can all be subjective. How dark is dark, and how far is your subject from the camera?

The Raven has two options for AF/Manual assist light, red or white light. Most, if not all mirrorless cameras, can not see the red-colored assist light, so the white light option can be key when using the Nikon Z7. Another benefit, and something we do not put in the manual, is that you are able to remove the front frosted dome to give you approximately 1-1.5 more stops of light. We do not list this in the manual since removing the front dome does expose the LED sensors and other sensors that work with the Raven's Lightmeter feature, but it can be removed pretty easily, but any damage to these sensors is not covered under warranty.

One other thing, most AF assist lights will only work with single-shot auto focus, not continuous. The same is true with the Raven since it is a limitation within the camera bodies. However, with the Raven, you can use the Manual Focus assist light even though you are using auto focus which will allow you to use continuous auto focus. When set this way, the Manual Focus assist light will turn off as the camera display clears, or falls asleep. Once you tap the shutter release or the back button for auto focus, then the assist light turns back on. There is also a quick way to turn on and off the focus assist light when not needed. Simply tap an icon in the Quick Setting screen to enable/disable the front dome.

Hope this helps, and feel free to ask any questions you might have

May 21, 2022 at 08:53 PM
racerm

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Raven Flash Trigger

Thank you for that info. I've been thinking about this while testing the Z7's AF under studio conditions with only the modeling lights on. I've come to the conclusion that once ambient light levels fall below the Z7's tolerances the eye af performance gets so bad that its unusable. You actually confirmed what I was thinking (or hoping) that the Raven can help the Z7 with eye AF acquisition. Thank you.

May 26, 2022 at 11:10 PM
Scullen

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Raven Flash Trigger

You are welcome, let me know if you have any other questions

May 26, 2022 at 11:26 PM
mikmau
• •
[X]
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Raven Flash Trigger

Bought the TLC for triggering godox/flashpoint and Profoto B 10/10x simultaneously. It only works in a 4 stops range in the Profoto side when used with godox as second brand.
It seems to be a very well build piece of gear but I have sold it , I would not buy it again until a new software/firmware will fix that issue.

Jun 27, 2022 at 10:00 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.