New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

3              5       6       end

Competition Entries ...

EverLearning
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Competition Entries ...

One word: unappealing.

Appeal should not be forgotten while looking for uniqueness and individuality.

May 26, 2022 at 06:25 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Competition Entries ...

Camperjim wrote:
Bottomline is if you apply to juried shows at major galleries and are rejected, don't feel bad or believe your work is not good enough.

Aim for the stars, shoot for the moon ... you just might reach the mountaintop along the way.

May 26, 2022 at 06:25 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Competition Entries ...

EverLearning wrote:
One word: unappealing.

Appeal should not be forgotten while looking for uniqueness and individuality.

Oh ... kinda sounds like you're talking about "bizarro" or "shock and awe" kind of stuff, as a means for "setting yourself apart".

In some regard, making an impression is in play. But, just like how different people can wear different clothes to garner your attention ... there are some ways that are more overt, while others are more subtle. The former can't be missed by most (like or not), the latter requires a more refined eye to appreciate. Having the "individuality" to go "out there" can be the order of the day, in certain regard for garnering set yourself apart attention ... the quality of which is highly subjective.

But, I would add that sometimes the "out there" stuff ... well, you do have to dig deeper to think if there is something inside that "bizarro" or "shock and awe". Sometimes there is ... sometimes there ain't.

Strikes me funny as I write this ^ ... deeper thought with GRAB YA (even if bizarro / shock / awe), might fare different than deeper thought with subtle (from a stand apart perspective).

And sometimes, the "I don't get it" can simply be an "I missed it".

When I judged (and critiqued) a small competition, afterwards one of the participants said he was surprised that I didn't have more to say about his. Well, truth be told ... he had an element in his piece that was so deep and so clever, I totally missed it. Upon it being explained to me, I felt REALLY BAD that I did not have him in the Top 3 (i.e. money). I then explained to the attendees the excellence of his piece (and that I missed it), but ... I could not reverse the decision(s) which I had already made awarding the others (it would be unfair to allow his explanation, but not others to do the same).

He was very understanding ... and I was very

May 26, 2022 at 06:32 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Competition Entries ...

grandmas wrote:
Two words, unique and individuality.

For some, those might seem like they are nearly, one in the same. Could you expand upon their distinction?

May 26, 2022 at 06:49 PM
Camperjim
• • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Competition Entries ...

Over the years, I have been in lots of art museums and galleries. I always look for the photography, if there is any. Typically in the higher end museums and galleries, I find two types of photography on display. The first would be the old masters with name recognition: Avedon, Penn, Arbus, Sherman and the like. The next grouping I would call socially relevant; such as AIDS, poverty, social injustice, global warming and the like. These are safe bets for the curators. Newer works involving aesthetics seem to be too risky and hence, scarce.

May 26, 2022 at 06:59 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Competition Entries ...

Camperjim wrote:
Over the years, I have been in lots of art museums and galleries. I always look for the photography, if there is any. Typically in the higher end museums and galleries, I find two types of photography on display. The first would be the old masters with name recognition: Avedon, Penn, Arbus, Sherman and the like. The next grouping I would call socially relevant; such as AIDS, poverty, social injustice, global warming and the like. These are safe bets for the curators. Newer works involving aesthetics seem to be too risky and hence, scarce.

+1 for social relevance

In some regard, that makes sense though. As all communication involves a degree of shared frame of reference ... those items that are in the social forefront have a pre-developed frame of reference (to varying degree). Thus the ability to engage the communication of the image is pre-established.

Otoh, going "out there" on your own way ... means a lesser disposition for the frame of reference in the mass audience to exist. Ergo, a reduced initial ability to engage the communication of the piece ... particularly where more thought is required to develop a frame of reference (i.e. the "I don't get it").

In that manner, the ability of a given audience to have a frame of reference to what is included in the communication is pertinent to its initial engagement. For some works, it should be understood that where there is less frame of reference, there is less initial engagement ... and it takes more time for the identification to occur (if at all).

A crying child ... most people have some manner of frame of reference to that, either witnessed or experienced. Most of us were a child at one time.

An older, dying person ... most people have known someone who has died, or has considered the concept of death for themselves.

Abyss Oddysey ... far fewer people have experienced an abyss, so it now turns into more of a curiosity or a thought consideration, vs. an initial frame of reference engagement (which includes emotive vs. cognitive, also).

An abstract ... what is there to have for a frame of reference? Well, folks get to take their time to make up their own consideration of how to (or not) connect their world (frame of reference) to the piece.

May 26, 2022 at 07:12 PM
grandmas
• • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Competition Entries ...

RustyBug wrote:
For some, those might seem like they are nearly, one in the same. Could you expand upon their distinction?

They are kind of the same. Unique could be a one of a kind subject. Individuality in an image would be like something that separates one body of work from the work of others in a noticeable and different way.

May 26, 2022 at 07:45 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Competition Entries ...

grandmas wrote:
They are kind of the same. Unique could be a one of a kind subject. Individuality in an image would be like something that separates one body of work from the work of others in a noticeable and different way.

With 10 billion images an hour these days ... could be interesting to see what the judges invited that fit that criteria.

May 26, 2022 at 08:24 PM
EverLearning
• • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Competition Entries ...

I remember reading an article, by an art critic no less, ripping art critics and the art world in general for using language that others could not hope to understand. It was Latin for the art world. In many cases, it allowed the creators of (impolite word), as he called it, to make it sound like it was a brilliant work.

If I am taking a photo for my own purposes and like it, that is all that matters. If I am hoping to sell it, then it better have some degree of broader appeal. If I am entering it into a competition, the question of broad appeal or appeal to the art elite becomes an interesting one. If a photo is selected by the judges and lots and lots of people are saying WTF while looking at runner-up/honourable mention photos and going "love it!", there is a disconnect somewhere.

That's all I was trying to say.

Don

May 26, 2022 at 09:43 PM
grandmas
• • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Competition Entries ...

RustyBug wrote:
With 10 billion images an hour these days ... could be interesting to see what the judges invited that fit that criteria.

The bar is high, good luck to those willing to enter.

May 26, 2022 at 09:46 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

grandmas
• • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Competition Entries ...

EverLearning wrote:
If a photo is selected by the judges and lots and lots of people are saying WTF while looking at runner-up/honourable mention photos and going "love it!", there is a disconnect somewhere.

Don

Sad, but that does happen. It is all opinions and as you know opinions are like belly buttons, everyone has one.

May 26, 2022 at 09:55 PM
EverLearning
• • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Competition Entries ...

Well said grandmas. And some judges' picks are like belly button lint - appealing to them but nobody else! .

May 26, 2022 at 10:11 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Competition Entries ...

EverLearning wrote:
I remember reading an article, by an art critic no less, ripping art critics and the art world in general for using language that others could not hope to understand. It was Latin for the art world. In many cases, it allowed the creators of (impolite word), as he called it, to make it sound like it was a brilliant work.

If I am taking a photo for my own purposes and like it, that is all that matters. If I am hoping to sell it, then it better have some degree of broader appeal. If I am entering it into
...Show more

Yup, sometimes the differentiator is the difference ... for the sole purpose of being different for different's sake.
I think there's an inherent desire to emulate, until we reach a point that we grow weary of emulation. Then, the quest is for said uniqueness / individuality.

This cycle can likely be seen through the ages, in mediums more than ours alone.

Same ol', same ol'.

May 26, 2022 at 11:19 PM
EverLearning
• • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Competition Entries ...

There is an "acclaimed artist" in Canada where one of her art "installations" was hanging rabbits upside and slitting their throats; with canvas underneath to make impressionistic art about "life". Barf. That's definitely a differentiator but not many in the real world would call that art or worthy of great praise and winning of awards. Another artist, NY I think, put a dead rodent on a canvas and then dropped a massive weight on it. "Art".

These are extreme examples, obviously, but I have seen puzzling selections at competitions that leave me wondering if it is April 1st.

May 27, 2022 at 10:53 AM
Camperjim
• • • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Competition Entries ...

If you look at religion, politics and human behavior in general, it seems in many regards humanity has not progressed much since the stone age. There is no reason to believe art critics and curators are any more advanced. Maybe we should have stuck with painting pictures of prey animals on the cave walls.

May 27, 2022 at 11:28 AM
grandmas
• • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Competition Entries ...

1. creation of beautiful things: the creation of beautiful or thought-provoking works, e.g. in painting, music, or writing

In today’s world they have taken the word beautiful out of art, and we are left with what is supposed to be thought-provoking. I would like to see it swing back to beautiful. Sadly many do not see beautiful as art unless it is also thought-provoking.

May 27, 2022 at 01:13 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Competition Entries ...

grandmas wrote:
1. creation of beautiful things: the creation of beautiful or thought-provoking works, e.g. in painting, music, or writing

In today’s world they have taken the word beautiful out of art, and we are left with what is supposed to be thought-provoking. I would like to see it swing back to beautiful. Sadly many do not see beautiful as art unless it is also thought-provoking.

The Art of Fine Woodworking
The Art of Fine Cuisine
The Art of Painting
The Art of Photography
The Art of Watercolor Painting
The Art of Sculpting
The Art of The Con
The Art of War
The Art of Bread Making

In certain regard, the term art is the excellence of a given skill (i.e. artfully = skillfully). Which then can be applied equally to:

The Art of Thought Provocation
The Art of Beautiful Creative
The Art of Aesthetically Pleasing
The Art of Shock & Awe

Of the multitude of artful creations, the amount of skilled provocateurs is likely to be far less than the amount of beautiful creators. Thus, an even greater aspect of differentiation exists for those who are skilled at doing so.

Most will superficially refute that art = skill, but in its roots, it might help to consider its use to help wrangle some of the "odd" things that get labeled Art, thus:

The Art of Creating Odd Things

"To Create ... Is To Make The Unseen, Visible."

As our beloved craft is a recording device in its base utility, the ability to use it as a create-ive tool warrants producing something beyond mere recording to be considered truly creative (imo). Something I'm learning / considering more in recent years.

The question then becomes what / how we develop our skill to create ... i.e., The Art of Creation vs. The Art of Capturing A Moment In Time vs. The Art of Recording Mastery, etc.

Thus, the wide berth in the name of Art ... ad infinitum.

May 27, 2022 at 03:36 PM
airfrogusmc
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Competition Entries ...

I haven't read through all the responses but some. I have had success in the professional world and have been doing it as a full time professional since graduating form college with a B/A 1986 where i studied photography and art. For my professional work I do what I consider commercial/advertising with a real emphasis on healthcare. I don't shoot weddings or do family work.

I have also had some success with my personal work and have had dozens of one man exhibits and been in many group shows over the years. Some of those being juried exhibits where you have to submit work and are then selected. I am lucky to make my living with my pro work. My last two big exhibits here in Chicago I sold work but not near enough to give my family the standard of living they deserve. The exhibit in Hamburg, Germany my travel and lodging were paid but I didn't sell any work. I was in two big juried shows in New York. One in 2014 and the other in 2016. In both exhibits there were over 2500 entires each and only 40 images were selected in each exhibit . Didn't sell in either of those exhibits so thank God for the pro work. There are usually always entry fees. And as Jim was saying there is printing, mounting and cutting mats and framing. Last exhibit here in Chicago (one person) over1K and I mounted, matted and framed the work myself. Sold enough work to pay for it all and make a little but as you can see it is expensive.

You also have to be selected to be in gallery exhibits. If it's a one person exhibit you really need to have a consistent body of work. You need to really know what the work is about because you will need to have an artist statement that supports the work. It is very difficult to get an exhibit. Then if you sell it is usually becasue you are in the right gallery for the type of work you do.

My advise and this comes from experience is first know who you are as a photographer and be honest with your work.

The process in juried shows is very subjective as is the word beauty. What is beautiful to A is maybe not so much to B. The real test of what is important or good is time. Galleries don't have time. They need to make money to keep the doors open so a lot of things they say through marketing is this is the next________ ,But we really wont know until years maybe decades later.

My advice to all is just do the work. Not for anything more than yourself and how you see the world. Answer the most basic question that any artist should ask themselves. and be able to answer; Why? And to what should be entered? I always say pick the work that best represents who you are as a photographer.

Edited on May 27, 2022 at 09:37 PM · View previous versions

May 27, 2022 at 04:25 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Competition Entries ...

airfrogusmc wrote:
I always say pick the work that best represents who you are as a photographer.

Roger that ... in the current iteration of who that might be ... or trying to become.

May 27, 2022 at 05:02 PM
Camperjim
• • • • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Competition Entries ...

airfrogusmc wrote:
...I have also had some success with my personal work and have had dozens of one man exhibits and been in many group shows over the years. Some of those being juried exhibits where you have to submit work and are then selected.....

Having seen your work, we can understand why you have had such a deserved level of success with exhibitions and juried shows.

We have done a lot of grumbling about the unfairness and sometimes arbitrary decisions of jurists. Some of that is undoubtedly just sour grapes and disappointment. Those of you who have seen my work know that it is not going to have any widespread, universal appeal. Even so I have done so so with juried shows. For those who might be interested in applying to juried shows, I can give some stats for my acceptances/rejections. For the three years prior to Covid, I applied to 17 juried shows. I had 8 works accepted. Four of the 8 were for local shows with acceptance rates in the 30% range and sometimes even higher. That leaves 4 acceptances with often low acceptance rates. Of those 2 were community galleries outside of my local area and I knew relatively little about them except they seemed to be decent galleries with a single annual nationally advertised juried show. Of the 17, two were fairly well know galleries. I was very happy to be accepted.

So if you really want to exhibit in juried shows, my results should be encouraging. If you are willing to go to the effort to apply, eventually you will have successes that stroke your ego. Finances are another issue. I am way in the hole and my couple of sales never even recovered the application fees.

I have another reason for encouraging applications. In my area photography is not well regarded. Some galleries rarely or never exhibit photographs. I would like to see more interest in displaying photography.

May 27, 2022 at 06:30 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password