New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

2       3              5       6       end

Competition Entries ...

RustyBug
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Competition Entries ...

Just sent off some entries (no particular order).

Plenty of images I've liked over the years and it was really challenging and mentally waffling to get final selections.

No real critique needed for each of these (but, certainly feel free) as they've all passed through here before (iirc). Just thought I'd share my entries as I had a PM request to learn of what I went with. Jury selection is due out 31 May or so.

Note: They are individually juried pieces (4 judge panel), not body of work jury.

It's been several years since I last entered a comp. Curious to hear input about how others approach such endeavors.

Kent Southers 2022

Kent Southers 2022

Kent Southers 2022

Kent Southers 2022

Kent Southers 2022

Kent Southers 2022

Kent Southers 2022

Kent Southers 2022

Kent Southers 2022

Kent Southers 2022

May 15, 2022 at 05:43 PM
Camperjim
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Competition Entries ...

That is a very nice selection of some of your best!!!!

It is hard to pick favorites from this series. I certainly like the last two, then there are the flags, outstanding. Then there is the swan where I really like the mood.

After the acceptance, you will have to let us know where you applied and how you did.

I have just started to apply to some juried shows after a long break due to Covid and laziness. I have 5 pending from applications this month. For most of them I think the acceptance rates will be well under 5%. Sometimes this process can be discouraging. I wish you the best of luck. You work certainly deserves it.

May 15, 2022 at 08:48 PM
Camperjim
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Competition Entries ...

I forgot to respond to you question about approaching such endeavors.

First, as you mentioned, it can be really tough to pick images for submission. On occasion I have asked for help but useful help is typically lacking.

The second issue is where to apply. I have two local galleries with usually one or two opportunities that come up in a year's time. Typically one opportunity might be curator's selection and one a juried show. It is satisfying to get into a local gallery where friends and fellow artists can visit and see your work hanging.

I also try to apply to other regional or sometimes national galleries. I try to pick really good galleries that have been around for years where I would really feel proud to have a piece of my work hanging. Many of them offer a single or maybe a couple of juried exhibitions a year. Unfortunately the better the gallery and the better the gallery's reputation, the lower the acceptance rate. They are quite a few galleries that seem to offer a great many opportunities a year. Some seem to do it in order to generate hundreds or even thousands of entries with an average of about $35 for each application. I pass on those galleries. I often also look at the background and work of the jurists. I just passed on a couple of opportunities because my interests and preferences seem to be miles from those of the jurists.

The other issue is cost. Application fees are only the start. If accepted, I need to print and frame and very often the work needs to packed and mailed with a ticket for return postage. The few sales I have made don't pay for all of the costs.

May 15, 2022 at 09:19 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Competition Entries ...

Camperjim wrote:
That is a very nice selection of some of your best!!!!

It is hard to pick favorites from this series. I certainly like the last two, then there are the flags, outstanding. Then there is the swan where I really like the mood.

After the acceptance, you will have to let us know where you applied and how you did.

I have just started to apply to some juried shows after a long break due to Covid and laziness. I have 5 pending from applications this month. For most of them I think the acceptance rates will be well under 5%. Sometimes
...Show more

Thanks Jim,

This is also my first time applying to a juried show in a while ... at least, sometime before 2015 (before I moved). I'm not sure when my last one was, ca 2011-2014, but it was a small, regional one (< 200 entrants). That, and many years ago (late 80's) in the service.

This is my first time with the big boys on the international level. I appreciate your encouragement and the insight into the acceptance rates ... i.e. tough crowd. I'm a bit nervous, excited and pre-dispositioned for disappointment, yet hopeful. Yup, emotive roller coaster.

Wish I'd have done a better job on the write-ups for the pieces, but I never had to do write-ups for the others, so I was a mixed bag on what to say / not to say about the pieces. Oh well, live and learn, if nothing else.

Thanks again, and good luck with your entrants, too. I expect you'll keep us posted, as well.

FYI, International Photography Hall of Fame is the host. BTW, they have a current exhibit on homeless veterans that is very powerful. I always enjoy a visit to the HOF, but it often leaves me very humbled ... mostly in a gently regenerative way. If you ever pass this way in your travels west, be sure and check it out.

May 16, 2022 at 05:57 AM
Camperjim
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Competition Entries ...

RustyBug wrote:
...FYI, International Photography Hall of Fame is the host. ...

I also applied a few days ago. At least the decisions should be out by the end of the month.

May 16, 2022 at 07:26 AM
EverLearning
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Competition Entries ...

Jim, very interesting! I didn't know the details of these type of contests. if the lower end contests are $35 for entry, what do the upper end ones cost?

Also very interesting how even making it to display in quality exhibitions doesn't necessarily result in sales. It seems if you're not into weddings, or family or pet portraits, it's tough to make a living as a photographer. I don't know how some do it.

Don

May 16, 2022 at 07:37 AM
Camperjim
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Competition Entries ...

Regardless of the reputation and quality of the gallery, most entries are about $35 and they typically take 3-5 entries and may charge extra for additional entries. I believe the IPHF contest charged $10 for each added entry which is on the high side.

Sales tend to be poor regardless of the gallery. For one of my entries, the gallery gave it an award and offered to buy it for their collection for a low price of $150. I sold it so not a great deal. It was about $35 for the entries, $60 for shipping and a return ship payment and of course, printing framing costs of about $75. So the "sale" cost me $20.

In my area at least gallery sales have been really slow. That started in 2008 and never recovered. None of the local galleries make any money on sales. One of the better galleries is a coop. They tell me sales are "rare" even though the gallery is open 6 days a week. Coop members pay $200/month and need to cover or pay for coverage for several hours a week to keep the gallery open. So an average of $300/month for about 5' of display space per member and again rare sales.

The photographers that make money due so with weddings/events and photo tours/workshops. In my area making money is almost entirely due to weddings. Big, expensive weddings with a pro photographer are the norm. The average is probably about $3500 at the low end up to several thousand more at the high end. That means having the gear, the experience, a backup shooter and building a reputation. It also means scheduling many months to a year or so in advance. With Covid it also meant lots of cancellations. It is not a way I would want to earn a living.

May 16, 2022 at 08:17 AM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Competition Entries ...

EverLearning wrote:
Jim, very interesting! I didn't know the details of these type of contests. if the lower end contests are $35 for entry, what do the upper end ones cost?

Also very interesting how even making it to display in quality exhibitions doesn't necessarily result in sales. It seems if you're not into weddings, or family or pet portraits, it's tough to make a living as a photographer. I don't know how some do it.

Don

I'd be curious if paintings also have historically followed this trend of portraiture usually being preferred by the masses vs an "artistic" piece.

May 16, 2022 at 08:24 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Competition Entries ...

Cool ... good luck.

Would be great to see your work hanging where I can view it.

Camperjim wrote:
I also applied a few days ago. At least the decisions should be out by the end of the month.

May 16, 2022 at 09:05 AM
Camperjim
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Competition Entries ...

beavens wrote:
I'd be curious if paintings also have historically followed this trend of portraiture usually being preferred by the masses vs an "artistic" piece.

Absolutely that was the case. Before photography, painters made a living with portraits and they were considered craftsmen, not artists.

May 16, 2022 at 02:12 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Camperjim
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Competition Entries ...

RustyBug wrote:
Cool ... good luck.

Would be great to see your work hanging where I can view it.

Thanks. If you know anyone there it would be interesting to hear the number of entries. I would guess very high. CAFE is popular and they were also in all the other major listings.

May 16, 2022 at 02:18 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Competition Entries ...

Iiuc ... And then, the quest for competitive differentiation led to refinement in technical skill, and interpretive development ... With the term art originating as a level of skill in the craftsmanship.

The term subsequently evolving to lean towards interpretive differentiation, as skill differentiation diminished, in part, as skill levels evolved to trompe levels of realism.

The art/skill of interpretation vs. the art/skill of technical excellence, etc. ... as they wax / wane about one another.

But the salient point is the service provided, served as the economic mechanism. Today's wedding or portrait service provider and today's training service provider follow that similar relationship in economic terms for many ... and the artisan efforts to differentiate for $$$.

The more things change, the more they remain the same.

Camperjim wrote:
Absolutely that was the case. Before photography, painters made a living with portraits and they were considered craftsmen, not artists.

May 16, 2022 at 02:21 PM
lylejk
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Competition Entries ...

These look awesome, Kent. I particularly like the first one (sheet perspective one) since I like perspectives.

May 17, 2022 at 11:51 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Competition Entries ...

lylejk wrote:
These look awesome, Kent. I particularly like the first one (sheet perspective one) since I like perspectives.

Thanks Lyle. I kinda dig on spatial stuff at times, too.

May 17, 2022 at 08:44 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Competition Entries ...

Well ...

Nothing passed muster.
Of course, that makes me wonder about other pieces / decisions for which I could have submitted ... and then, to wait and see what the judges were taken to.

May 25, 2022 at 07:48 PM
EverLearning
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Competition Entries ...

This is one of the three reasons I don't enter photo contests (the other two being I don't think my photos are quite good enough yet and some of the contests give the organizer a non-exclusive perpetual right to use the submitted photos and any derivative). Decisions are so dependent on the judges personal tastes. I can recall a contest where people I talked to could not understand how one particular photo was selected while a couple of others never made the cut (or passed the muster as it were. Maybe meet you half way - cut the muster?).

I read somewhere that photographers that hell bent on winning will research each and every judge to see what their personal work is and then tailor their selections to that rather than submit what they think is their best work. I guess if you want to win, that's the way to go but I'd rather submit my best work!

May 26, 2022 at 08:03 AM
Camperjim
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Competition Entries ...

Clearly there is no accounting for taste. Many times after being rejected, I have looked at the images picked and wondered why. It sort of makes me feel better not to have been included. Sour grapes, I guess.

The big issue with these sort of contests is often the number of entries. Several years ago, BH Photo had a contest. They never tried that again. When I was thinking of applying, I noticed they had already exceeding 50,000 entries!

At one time I found a website that tracked entries versus acceptances. That was easy for them since most entries are through a couple of websites that specialize in providing the online logistics. CAFE is one of the biggest. In any case, you stand a better chance of getting accepted into Harvard than the odds for many shows.

After a long dry spell with many galleries closed due to Covid, I decided to apply to a few juried shows. I was also rejected by the gallery that rejected RustyBugs works. Years ago I did the equivalent of winning lotto and was accepted into a NYC Chelsea gallery. Somehow I think I can win lotto again and have applications for two upcoming juried shows in Chelsea galleries. Fat Chance.

Bottomline is if you apply to juried shows at major galleries and are rejected, don't feel bad or believe your work is not good enough.

May 26, 2022 at 01:23 PM
EverLearning
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Competition Entries ...

Camperjim wrote:
Clearly there is no accounting for taste. Many times after being rejected, I have looked at the images picked and wondered why.

This!

Don

May 26, 2022 at 03:15 PM
grandmas
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Competition Entries ...

Two words, unique and individuality.

May 26, 2022 at 03:40 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Competition Entries ...

EverLearning wrote:
This is one of the three reasons I don't enter photo contests (the other two being I don't think my photos are quite good enough yet and some of the contests give the organizer a non-exclusive perpetual right to use the submitted photos and any derivative). Decisions are so dependent on the judges personal tastes. I can recall a contest where people I talked to could not understand how one particular photo was selected while a couple of others never made the cut (or passed the muster as it were. Maybe meet you half way - cut the muster?).

I read
...Show more

+1 that there are those contests that are just a picture rights grab.
I typically don't play in those, so it makes my entries very limited.

+1 for "reading" the judges. It's a viable consideration from a competition perspective. I've given it credence before ... in terms of trying to decide between image A vs. image B. That's not to say I tailor my work to it, just an awareness if I'm really torn between things.

As to "my best" being submitted for the competition ... well, that kinda depends. My best landscape, my best floral, my best animal, my best sports, my best person, my best automotive, etc. (you get the gist) ...

For me, I have some of my favorites, and some that might be in the category of my best for a given genre, etc. But, many of those were NOT entered. Instead, my selection criteria pared down from a longer list and I categorized them into "pretty" and "not pretty". By that, I mean they involved some aspect of thought, more than just beautiful aesthetic or technically wowser material or mood influencing light / color, etc.

From a competitive viewpoint ... I would have gone more strongly with some of those. Instead, my mission (backwards thinking, if you will) choices were more to see if some of my different ways of seeing things would garner any distinction of uniqueness at that level.

Understanding (having been a judge once) that some judging is done from the criteria of how strongly an image "grabs ya", I knew that cerebral images that warrant a slower consideration often do not fare well in such competition of judging volumes of images. Even in our little world of the Weekly Assignment, I've had images that fared well in the other forums, but got crickets in the WA. In a left handed way, that is a bit telling to what is being looked for ... or more significantly, what is NOT being looked for, i.e. things that take time to think about. The volume of competition judging likely doesn't lend itself toward that when massive volume of images is concerned.

Now that I think about it, I wonder if the judging process was to look at multiple images at once, and select the visual standouts, then move on to the next group, rinse and repeat, till things got pared down. If that is similar to the mechanism for contending with such volume, than those that "warrant thought" likely are at a disadvantage from the start. That's not trying to be "sour grapes" or anything negative. Just a consideration to the mechanism of production judging such high volumes. Just a guess on my part. Going forward, I'll take that nugget into consideration for my choices ... i.e. does a thumbnail (like a slide on a light table) stand out. If the visual grab isn't there ... well, hmmm.

But, no matter ... my mission was to learn if my individual way of seeing things with this selection of images would be able to "cut through" the masses of other images. In that regard, my mission was achieved. Sure, I would have much preferred to have gotten an invite, but I think I've learned what I sought to know. I'll know better when I see what the judges DID invite, how that plays to my understanding.

Not sure if I explained that very well, but suffice to say ... I knew I was playing against the odds.
No malice toward the judges, judging, competition, etc. I took the road less traveled ... and may just be on a different path than these judges ... comes with the territory, when you go your own way.

May 26, 2022 at 05:14 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password