Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

  

MC-11 Adapter on A7IV for Canon Lenses

  
 
csebasti
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · MC-11 Adapter on A7IV for Canon Lenses


I'm curious if anyone has experience using the MC-11 adapter to adapt canon EF lenses to the A7IV. I'm about to sell off all of my Canon gear after having purchased an A7IV and 3 E-mount zooms. But, I'm considering buying a used EF to E mount adapter (probably the MC-11) and holding on to my Canon EF 85 f/1.8 and EF 35 f/2 for a while. I'll eventually replace them with E-mount lenses, but after dropping a chunk of change on a new body and 3 zooms, I'm going to hold off a bit on the fast primes.

I pretty much only use the 85 and 35 for pictures of my kids. So I'm curious if I can expect decently fast AF and eye AF to work well. I figure if I buy a used adapter, I can always sell it and likely not be out much money if any. But I don't want to bother if I'm just going to find it frustrating due to poor auto focus.



May 14, 2022 at 04:50 PM
jstrawman
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · MC-11 Adapter on A7IV for Canon Lenses


Search the Sony Forum under MC-11 for numerous threads.


May 14, 2022 at 05:12 PM
jslaven
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · MC-11 Adapter on A7IV for Canon Lenses


It's fine, but not great in my experience. I would recommend getting the FE 85 1.8 for around $400-450 used instead of sinking $150+ into the adapter.


May 14, 2022 at 05:34 PM
csebasti
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · MC-11 Adapter on A7IV for Canon Lenses


jstrawman wrote:
Search the Sony Forum under MC-11 for numerous threads.


I did search before posting. Unfortunately I didn't find anything specific to the A7IV or the Canon 85 f/1.8, which is why I asked.



May 14, 2022 at 05:55 PM
csebasti
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · MC-11 Adapter on A7IV for Canon Lenses


jslaven wrote:
It's fine, but not great in my experience. I would recommend getting the FE 85 1.8 for around $400-450 used instead of sinking $150+ into the adapter.


Thanks for your input. I guess my main reason for considering a used adapter now is that I just haven't had time to really look into my options for e-mount 85 or 35 primes. Buying a used adapter now would allow me to still use my current 85 and 35 while I research my e-mount options for those lenses. "fine but not great" may be good enough for now. But, I will take a closer look at the FE85 1.8 as you suggest.



May 14, 2022 at 06:04 PM
andyptak
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · MC-11 Adapter on A7IV for Canon Lenses


I have found the MC-11 to be a good fit. Metabones were not.


May 14, 2022 at 06:05 PM
jslaven
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · MC-11 Adapter on A7IV for Canon Lenses


I think the MC-11 is well made and is about as secure as can be. But autofocus is pretty lacking as far as speed goes (compared to native). It does accurately focus the 2 canon lenses I have used on it: 50 f/1.4 and 24-105 f/4 in af-s, but I haven't had luck with af-c and not at all in video mode.

My suggestion to forego the adapter would be based on just selling off the EF glass and putting that towards the native 85 1.8, which is well loved, and maybe the zony 35 f2.8 or the samyang offering.

You wouldn't have to deal with the intermediate step of adapting, but of course the money factor comes into play. I would say to just use your zooms for now while you save (provided you have a normal zoom in your 3)



May 14, 2022 at 07:00 PM
onthebeam
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · MC-11 Adapter on A7IV for Canon Lenses


Iím glad to have the Mc-11. It delivers great results with most canon lenses. Yet expect slower focusing. I sold off my Canon long glass over time. Kept the 16-35mm f2.8.


May 14, 2022 at 07:29 PM
QuietOC
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · MC-11 Adapter on A7IV for Canon Lenses


I found the Canon EF 85mm F1.8 to focus quicker on the MC-11 than the native Sony FE 85mm F1.8 on the A7III. That was one of things that really disappointed me after reading all the hype about the Sony. The Canon also had smoother out-of-focus. The Sony has higher contrast. Both have a good deal of axial CA. I suspect the Sony will track better on the A7IV.

My favorite 85mm is an adapted Tamron SP 85mm F1.8 USD. So much nicer images.

Edited on May 14, 2022 at 08:32 PM · View previous versions



May 14, 2022 at 08:19 PM
 


Search in Used Dept. 

cinema
Online
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · MC-11 Adapter on A7IV for Canon Lenses


i like the image quality of the MC-11. images look good with little/no difference between 5dm3. however it does not enable eye AF. I heard metabones does, but also metabones iq is not as good (edge to edge sharpness/corners etc). I ended up buying the FE 85mm 1.8 to get eye AF, both lenses are pretty close in iq. sony a little more neutral, but slightly sharper. YMMV. I like the vibe of the canon, but it's not native.


May 14, 2022 at 08:29 PM
QuietOC
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · MC-11 Adapter on A7IV for Canon Lenses


The MC-11 emulates an Sony LA-EA adapter and Sony added Real-time Eye AF for those in one of the bodies. Maybe it was the Real-time Eye AF firmware for the third generation?

Technically there is Eye AF available even with the first generation bodies and LA-EA1/3/5 and MC-11. It was just not very usable. In the second generation it was still available if you switched AF System to Contrast Detect, and it was still practically unusable.



May 14, 2022 at 08:38 PM
cinema
Online
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · MC-11 Adapter on A7IV for Canon Lenses


QuietOC wrote:
The MC-11 emulates an Sony LA-EA adapter and Sony added Real-time Eye AF for those in one of the bodies. Maybe it was the Real-time Eye AF firmware for the third generation?

Technically there is Eye AF available even with the first generation bodies and LA-EA1/3/5 and MC-11. It was just not very usable. In the second generation it was still available if you switched AF System to Contrast Detect, and it was still practically unusable.


interesting, i updated to latest firmware too. no dice. i have an older camera, a7r2, and eye af does not work. just says 'INVALID WITH THIS LENS' when i go to use it

EDIT: just tried turning contrast detect on. it no longer says INVALID, but it still is basically unable to grab focus at all



May 14, 2022 at 08:51 PM
csebasti
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · MC-11 Adapter on A7IV for Canon Lenses


jslaven wrote:
I think the MC-11 is well made and is about as secure as can be. But autofocus is pretty lacking as far as speed goes (compared to native). It does accurately focus the 2 canon lenses I have used on it: 50 f/1.4 and 24-105 f/4 in af-s, but I haven't had luck with af-c and not at all in video mode.

My suggestion to forego the adapter would be based on just selling off the EF glass and putting that towards the native 85 1.8, which is well loved, and maybe the zony 35 f2.8 or the samyang offering.

You
...Show more

Thanks for the input with your experience. That is helpful info for me.

The 3 zooms I have are the Tamron 17-28 f/2.8, Sigma 24-70 f/2.8, and Tamron 70-180 f/2.8. I've been enjoying those, but missing the faster primes a bit.



May 15, 2022 at 01:13 AM
csebasti
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · MC-11 Adapter on A7IV for Canon Lenses


onthebeam wrote:
Iím glad to have the Mc-11. It delivers great results with most canon lenses. Yet expect slower focusing. I sold off my Canon long glass over time. Kept the 16-35mm f2.8.


Thanks for sharing your experience.

---------------------------------------------

QuietOC wrote:
I found the Canon EF 85mm F1.8 to focus quicker on the MC-11 than the native Sony FE 85mm F1.8 on the A7III. That was one of things that really disappointed me after reading all the hype about the Sony. The Canon also had smoother out-of-focus. The Sony has higher contrast. Both have a good deal of axial CA. I suspect the Sony will track better on the A7IV.

My favorite 85mm is an adapted Tamron SP 85mm F1.8 USD. So much nicer images.


That is interesting about the focus speed and is encouraging if I do end up picking up an MC-11. That Tamron SP 85 f/1.8 sounds nice, but my long term plan really is not to use any adapted lenses. Using the adapter really is a short term plan until I can justify spending more on a couple fast native primes.

---------------------------------------------

cinema wrote:
i like the image quality of the MC-11. images look good with little/no difference between 5dm3. however it does not enable eye AF. I heard metabones does, but also metabones iq is not as good (edge to edge sharpness/corners etc). I ended up buying the FE 85mm 1.8 to get eye AF, both lenses are pretty close in iq. sony a little more neutral, but slightly sharper. YMMV. I like the vibe of the canon, but it's not native.


I definitely feel spoiled now having the eye AF when using my native zooms, so I know I'll be disappointed not having it. So there's a vote for skipping the adapter and figuring out which 85 I want. But part of my dilemma is also that what I'd really like is an 85 f/1.4 but it'll take me longer to get to a point I feel I can justify that cost. I guess I have some thinking to do...



May 15, 2022 at 01:35 AM
GHarris
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · MC-11 Adapter on A7IV for Canon Lenses


There's some mixed information in this thread.

Eye AF will definitely work on your A7iv. It has worked pretty seamlessly on all bodies since the A9/A7Riii/A7iii (i.e. not gen 2 bodies like the A7Rii that 'cinema' is using, hence the confusion, unless he enables a very specific AF, limited mode - but this restriction is not relevant to you. For you, it will work). Autofocus will work decently but not perfectly - "How fast is the autofocus?" is rather a "how long is a piece of string?" kind of question. It depends a little on the lens. With lenses that focussed fast on a good Canon native body, the autofocus will be satisfyingly fast, by and large, but less fast than native. However, it will be more accurate than native, since you are no longer at risk of needing to calibrate your lens to account for sensor/optical viewfinder alignment mismatches. More than that becomes vague and difficult to define. The area of the frame that can autofocus is less than native - if you want your camera to focus on /track something the far left and right of the frame it won't autofocus well, but for most of the frame autofocus will work. It's a minor but not severe limitation, you might often not care about it.

You will be limited to a maximum of 3 fps burst shooting, if I remember correctly. This limit is considerably higher (10fps) on the a9 and a1. AF-C works well, in my experience, on the a9, so what someone said above about AF-C not working is not strictly true either. Perhaps there is some difference about how the adapter performs on an A7iv but I would expect AF-C to work and work well.

The MC-11 is a Sigma adapter, primarily intended to offer adaptation functionality to Sigma's "Art" lineup of Canon-mount lenses. With these lenses, maximum burst shooting rate is higher (I think), AF-C is explicitly supported (but like I said, it works on other Canon-mount lenses too anyhow) and Eye AF works even on the mark 2 Sony bodies. Just mentioning that for context. Sigma made an adapter aimed at their own lenses, and while it gives those lenses some special treatment, it nevertheless works so well that Canon lenses work well on it too.

The MC-11 is very well built. It is very precisely machined, so it doesn't mis-align anything or get the spacings wrong in a way that will degrade image quality. This is not the case for some adapters. It's a well-built and solid, reliable adapter, so it is probably a good, risk-free option for buying used.

Occasionally for new bodies (or major camera-body firmware updates) the firmware on the MC-11 has to be updated. Perhaps this will be the case for you, since the A7iv is relatively new, especially if you buy the adapter used. If the adapter isn't working right when you first try it, this will be why. There is a USB port hidden under a tab on the side of the MC-11. So you just need the right sort of USB-cable and a computer, to update it.

The MC-11 is a useful tool that adds options to your camera. Like you said, you can buy one at an affordable price used, so there isn't much to lose. Personally, I would suggest you should go ahead and buy it.



May 15, 2022 at 02:21 AM
jslaven
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · MC-11 Adapter on A7IV for Canon Lenses


I don't have the 85 f/1.8 to check, so I can't say for sure what it will do, but I just mounted up my Canon 50 f/1.4 to my A7IV run it through some tests.

I still don't like AF-C on it. It's very jittery. It will focus, but maybe my lens is just not up to the task (or I'm spoiled by quiet lenses). So I'll continue to say that I prefer it in AF-S.

Eye-AF does work on it. I get a box around the eye.

The 50mm doesn't do any autofocus in video mode, so if you toggle over to that, you're on manual and when you try to bring up the focus mode menu you get the popup saying "invalid with this lens." I don't know how the 85mm would do for that



May 15, 2022 at 11:43 AM
csebasti
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · MC-11 Adapter on A7IV for Canon Lenses


GHarris wrote:
There's some mixed information in this thread.

Eye AF will definitely work on your A7iv. It has worked pretty seamlessly on all bodies since the A9/A7Riii/A7iii (i.e. not gen 2 bodies like the A7Rii that 'cinema' is using, hence the confusion, unless he enables a very specific AF, limited mode - but this restriction is not relevant to you. For you, it will work). Autofocus will work decently but not perfectly - "How fast is the autofocus?" is rather a "how long is a piece of string?" kind of question. It depends a little on the lens. With lenses that focussed
...Show more

Thanks for all of that detailed info. It's quite helpful. I hadn't realized there was a limitation on fps. I'm not too worried about dropping down to 3 fps max, so no issue there.

I agree with you're thoughts on low risk buying a used one. If I don't like it I can sell it and likely get all or most of my money back. Maybe it's a little hassle needing to sell, but no big deal.



May 15, 2022 at 11:44 AM
csebasti
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · MC-11 Adapter on A7IV for Canon Lenses


jslaven wrote:
I don't have the 85 f/1.8 to check, so I can't say for sure what it will do, but I just mounted up my Canon 50 f/1.4 to my A7IV run it through some tests.

I still don't like AF-C on it. It's very jittery. It will focus, but maybe my lens is just not up to the task (or I'm spoiled by quiet lenses). So I'll continue to say that I prefer it in AF-S.

Eye-AF does work on it. I get a box around the eye.

The 50mm doesn't do any autofocus in video mode, so if you toggle over to
...Show more

Thanks for the feedback. I hear you on the noisy lens topic. My 35 f/2 is quite noisy and was jittery on my 5DIV, so I'm sure it would be the same way on my a7IV with adapter. The 85 f/1.8 is much quieter.



May 15, 2022 at 11:50 AM







FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password