New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Question about F Mount Integrity

kreegerk

Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Question about F Mount Integrity

Mark Fable wrote:
No, I was just concerned about pressure applied from heavy lenses like the 200-500mm.

Mark, that lens is one of the lightest ones I have ever used for it's focal length. Feather weight practically compared to a 200-400 F4...

What camera is it that you have that you are concerned about.

May 17, 2022 at 09:21 AM
runamuck
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Question about F Mount Integrity

Once the lens is mounted they become locked together. Bending one would require bending the other For the mount to bend would require it breaking away from the body. The locked mounts have far more mass than the screws. Quit worrying and start shooting. IF you are that worried about lens mounts, pick up a Nikon P900 series cam.

May 17, 2022 at 12:28 PM
AcuteShadows
• • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Question about F Mount Integrity

Mark Fable wrote:
Okay, so if the mount seems flush with the body, then there's no chance it could have bent, right?

There will likely be some cracks, so in the unlikely case that there are none, there is no guarantee that it would not be bent.

May 18, 2022 at 06:49 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Mark Fable

Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Question about F Mount Integrity

I thought about your responses and I wonder if it is possible that autofocus would not be affected on a DSLR if the mount is bent, since the plane of focus is affected as well. Would autofocusing issues be a sure sign of a bent mount, or is it possible that the DSLR would still be focusing properly even if the mount is slightly bent?

May 21, 2022 at 03:39 PM
Lance B
• • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Question about F Mount Integrity

The F mount integrity would depend on the camera being used. A D850 would have well more F mount integrity than a D7500 and that more than a D5600 etc. A professional camera like a D850, D750, D500, D5 etc wouyld be designed so as to take more rough treatment than say a D7500 or D5600 and that is part of the reason you pay a higher price for these pro cameras. Even so, Nikon use engineers and they would know their craft way better than you or I and would have designed the mount to take *normal day to day useage* with the the heavier lenses on the cameras that those lenses would have been designed to be used on. I mean, that is the engineers job, to design the mount to take the forces that are deemed applicable without fail.

I used a the 400 f2.8E FL VR on my D850 and D500 for years and never had a mount bend in any way. The 400 f2.8 is 3,800gms, the 200-500 is a paltry 2,300gms which I also owned and used on the D850 and D500.

The only real way to have the F mount bend is to apply *undue* force to the mount by either dropping it with lens attached, or intentionally trying to bend it and even trying to bend it would present a difficult thing to do. In either case, the lens may suffer just as much damage. A bent mount would certainly show up in images.

May 21, 2022 at 07:21 PM
elkhornsun
• • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Question about F Mount Integrity

A lens from the 70-200mm and larger will have a separate mount so the lens supports the weight of the camera. The mount itself is designed to be the weakest link so if there is too much stress on the lens to camera connection this relatively inexpensivve part can be replace.

May 22, 2022 at 07:02 PM
       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password