New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2022 · Question about F Mount Integrity

Mark Fable

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Question about F Mount Integrity

I have been using my camera with heavy lenses for a while now, and was just wondering, if the F mount is bent, due to pressure from the lens for example (if this is even possible), would this always be noticeable when observing the mount, and would a bent mount affect my images in any way noticeable?

May 14, 2022 at 04:05 PM
bs kite
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Question about F Mount Integrity

Mark Fable wrote:
I have been using my camera with heavy lenses for a while now, and was just wondering, if the F mount is bent, due to pressure from the lens for example (if this is even possible), would this always be noticeable when observing the mount, and would a bent mount affect my images in any way noticeable?

Seems to me that the rear lens mount and camera flange are manufactured to be parallel to the image sensor. So, if the flange is bent, the depth of field would also not be parallel to the sensor.

May 15, 2022 at 12:50 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Question about F Mount Integrity

Mark Fable wrote:

do you have any reason to think that it may be bent?

to you observe anything on the mount not being in parallel on either lenses or bodies you use?

have you whacked it on anything or is it loose connected to your lenses?

pretty much as long as you have not used it as an impact tool and things are working as advertised you should be ok. the only thing on my D500 that i had an incident with was the reflex mirror being coughed up and spat out and it was out of service for a week and a half. biggest lens i generally used on it was a sigma 120-300/2.8

Edited on May 15, 2022 at 07:17 PM · View previous versions

May 15, 2022 at 12:56 PM
Norm Shapiro
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Question about F Mount Integrity

I’ve always gone on the theory if the lens has attachment points for a strap, like a 300mm f2.8, that should be used instead of a strap on the body.

May 15, 2022 at 01:49 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Question about F Mount Integrity

when i'm carrying a large lens its by its tripod mount usually

May 15, 2022 at 02:29 PM
Mark Fable

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Question about F Mount Integrity

bs kite wrote:
Seems to me that the rear lens mount and camera flange are manufactured to be parallel to the image sensor. So, if the flange is bent, the depth of field would also not be parallel to the sensor.

Makes sense. I have not noticed this with my gear though.

May 15, 2022 at 06:06 PM
Mark Fable

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Question about F Mount Integrity

sjms wrote:
do you have any reason to think that it may be bent?

to you observe anything on the mount not being in parallel on either lenses or bodies you use?

have you whacked it on anything or is it loose connected to your lenses?

pretty much as long as you have not used it as a impact tool and things are working as advertised you should be ok. the only thing on my D500 that i had an incident with was the reflex mirror being coughed up and spat out and it was out of service for a week and a half. biggest
...Show more

I was mostly concerned that pressure from the lens could cause the mount to bend. Can pressure from the lens bend the mount or is it tougher than that?

May 15, 2022 at 06:09 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Question about F Mount Integrity

depending on how one treats it there is always that possibility. Handling is everything. that 120-300/2.8 Sigma weighs in at over 7.5lbs. knowing that i use the tripod mount and camera body to swing it around and mount and since it does have the ability to be strapped i have a short strap on to pick it up as an optional grab and carry. load bearing.

Edited on May 15, 2022 at 06:44 PM · View previous versions

May 15, 2022 at 06:17 PM
runamuck
• • • • • •
[X]
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Question about F Mount Integrity

Mark Fable wrote:
I was mostly concerned that pressure from the lens could cause the mount to bend. Can pressure from the lens bend the mount or is it tougher than that?

Those teeny tiny screws are tougher than you might think. Unless you are seeing signs of the mount loosening, don't worry.

May 15, 2022 at 06:20 PM
AcuteShadows
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Question about F Mount Integrity

No, it might not be noticeable if the tilt is minor. If you want to check for minor tilt, take images and use methods that are generally meant to identify tilt lenses.

Yes, it will affect your images, especially those taken at longer distances, even if the tilt is minor.

May 15, 2022 at 06:24 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Question about F Mount Integrity

It may be bent slightly on impact. Did you drop the camera or bang it onto something rather hard?

EBH

May 15, 2022 at 09:34 PM
jcw1982
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Question about F Mount Integrity

I would think that before the mount would bend, it would break loose from the body.

May 16, 2022 at 05:30 AM
AcuteShadows
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Question about F Mount Integrity

jcw1982 wrote:
I would think that before the mount would bend, it would break loose from the body.

I think there will likely be some cracks if it's bent, but it would not necessarily break loose.

May 16, 2022 at 06:00 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Question about F Mount Integrity

in the end there basic rules with equipment.

Prepare

- inspect all your hardware before you leave your base
- inspect all your hardware after returning to your base
- when in doubt with what you are about to do Stop, Think, Review before you do it. inspect.

- the responsibility starts and finishes with you

May 16, 2022 at 06:20 AM
bs kite
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Question about F Mount Integrity

jcw1982 wrote:

+1

May 16, 2022 at 09:37 AM
groob
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Question about F Mount Integrity

The mount shouldn't bend if you pick up heavy lenses by the foot of the lens.

Edited on Jun 01, 2022 at 07:17 PM · View previous versions

May 16, 2022 at 10:52 AM
kreegerk
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Question about F Mount Integrity

The F lens mount is pretty tough, it was engineered long ago. The SLR lenses designed for it in 70s, 80s, 90s, compared to today’s lens equivalents, were heavier then. From my observation, typically the lens mount around the bayonet starts to brass from frequent/on off and the load put on it even on tripod or monopod when in use. I know my AF-S 300 F2.8D had some amount lens mount wear and it was a very strong lens, on D4 or D500 there was no markings at all from use.

The old ED-IF MF 400 F3.5, 600 F4 that I used with F2, F3 in the 80s were back breakers to carry around and easily wore at the lens flange but not the mount.

Unless it’s been dropped to where the mounting flange was put under stress, I doubt normal use would bend it.

May 16, 2022 at 12:29 PM
Mark Fable

p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Question about F Mount Integrity

EB-1 wrote:
It may be bent slightly on impact. Did you drop the camera or bang it onto something rather hard?

EBH

No, I was just concerned about pressure applied from heavy lenses like the 200-500mm.

May 16, 2022 at 02:24 PM
Mark Fable

p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Question about F Mount Integrity

AcuteShadows wrote:
I think there will likely be some cracks if it's bent, but it would not necessarily break loose.

Okay, so if the mount seems flush with the body, then there's no chance it could have bent, right?

May 16, 2022 at 02:25 PM
Mark Fable

p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Question about F Mount Integrity

kreegerk wrote:
The F lens mount is pretty tough, it was engineered long ago. The SLR lenses designed for it in 70s, 80s, 90s, compared to today’s lens equivalents, were heavier then. From my observation, typically the lens mount around the bayonet starts to brass from frequent/on off and the load put on it even on tripod or monopod when in use. I know my AF-S 300 F2.8D had some amount lens mount wear and it was a very strong lens, on D4 or D500 there was no markings at all from use.

The old ED-IF MF 400 F3.5, 600 F4 that I
...Show more

Wow, I'm impressed to know that the mount is that strong. I was more concerned about being able to identify if the mount was bent or not. Someone mentioned earlier that the mount would have to separate from the body before it can bend. What do you think of this? From what you say, it appears that even heavy lenses can't cause the mount to bend.

May 16, 2022 at 02:29 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.