Username  

FM Forum Rules
Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

Still crazy after all these years...

Edward Rotberg
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Still crazy after all these years...

Old timers here might recognize me, but I haven't been posting on this board for a quite while now. Back in the fall of 2019, I switched from Canon gear to Sony. Then the pandemic hit, and I pretty much stopped shooting due to the pandemic complicated by a combination of things going on in my personal life having to do with health and other issues. I did spend some of that time going back through old images and processing some that had been overlooked. This post will be comprised of six of those images. In a separate post that I'll create ??, I will try to post some new stuff from the Sony gear, but I thought I should separate the two posts. These images I'm posting here are ones that particularly struck me while doing the post work. Note that since I host these images on my site, I don't get automatic display of gear & details, so I'll supply those manually. Let me add that I'm thrilled with the ability to post larger images now, unlike when I last posted photos. Anyhow, here goes:

1) From my trip to Tanzania in 2011 comes this close up of a Saddle-billed Stork. I love the S-curve create by the birds neck as he preens himself.

Canon 7D / Canon EF 500mm f/4L IS / f/4.0, 1/800th sec, ISO 640

2) Sandhill Cranes at dusk. IIRC, I was out shooting with Anthony Whitmore, and it was a pretty dismal day of chasing Sandhills around. We couldn't get very close to the roost, and the fly-in shots were marginal in the heavy overcast. This was the last frame I shot that day, as the light was failing. At the time, I didn't think much of it. Now, I have a 30x20 print of it hangin in the house. NOTE!! I intentionally did not run any NR on this image. I love the quality of the noise as it reminds of grain from my old film days, and given the overcast and encroaching mist, I feel that it suits this image.

Canon 1DX / Canon EF 500mm f/4L IS + 1.4 Ext. II / f/5.6, 1/125th sec, ISO 6400

3) From my 2015 trip to Namibia. This is a slight crop of a full face portrait of the Zebra. I just played around till I found the crop I liked.

Canon 7D MkII/ Canon EF 100-400mm f/5.6L IS II @ 300mm/ f/8, 1/1000th sec, ISO 400

4 & 5) From a trip to the Tetons National Park in 2019. We saw this beautifully backlit Moose cow & calf. It was only after looking at the shots on my laptop that I noticed the large gash in the neck of the calf. Local guides were fairly certain this was due to a wolf attack. It looks like he was going to recover just fine, however. I included the 2nd photo for a better look at that gash, but the first is my favorite of the two.

Canon 1DX / Canon EF 500mm f/4L IS/ f/4, 1/1600th sec, ISO 800 (handheld)

6) Finally, I thought I'd throw in a landscape shot that everyone takes in the Tetons. Oxbow Bend.

Canon 1DX / Canon EF 16-35mm f/28L @35mm/ f/8, 1/500th sec, ISO 100

May 14, 2022 at 01:31 PM
Bobg657
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Still crazy after all these years...

Beautiful images, welcome back!

Bob

May 14, 2022 at 04:10 PM
Karl Witt
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Still crazy after all these years...

Hello Ed and OMG it's great to see from you. I hope you are past your health issues, it's been a difficult group of years for sure.

Anthony Whitmore, just spoke with him a few times just a few weeks back! Antman
The opener shot is eye candy, colors and form both and a lovely BG and presentation, sweet!
Seeing the Sandhill print large would be a treat and I am sure it has a very nice feel and brings back a good memory for you. Nice comp on the B&W. At first I thought that was some type of collar on the young Moose, glad to hear that it is expected to do find, that is a nasty looking wound in a very critical place.

Your landscape is stunning! Wonderful layers of depth and magnificent color and details.
All good buddy
Karl

May 14, 2022 at 04:41 PM
johnohio
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Still crazy after all these years...

Some beautiful images given new life. That first one is a stunner.

John

May 14, 2022 at 04:47 PM
morris
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Still crazy after all these years...

Hi Ed,

I'm sorry to hear you have had a hard time and it's good to see you and your gorgeous work. Photography is a wonderful therapy and it appears to be helping you. Each of your images has a special look and is so different from the others. Ant, wow, will he show up as well?

I'm looking to see what you are doing with your Sony gear.

Morris

May 14, 2022 at 07:58 PM
B Benson
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Still crazy after all these years...

Not sure why you would switch to Sony when you go images like these. Very nice. Bruce

May 14, 2022 at 09:02 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

birdied
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Still crazy after all these years...

A stunning group of shots. All so well done. Welcome back!

Birdie

May 14, 2022 at 10:17 PM
mspencer1
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Still crazy after all these years...

Beautiful photos!

May 15, 2022 at 12:13 AM
Edward Rotberg
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Still crazy after all these years...

Bobg657 wrote:
Beautiful images, welcome back!

Bob

Thanks Bob. FMF is where I come for inspiration!

---------------------------------------------

Karl Witt wrote:
Hello Ed and OMG it's great to see from you. I hope you are past your health issues, it's been a difficult group of years for sure.

Anthony Whitmore, just spoke with him a few times just a few weeks back! Antman
The opener shot is eye candy, colors and form both and a lovely BG and presentation, sweet!
Seeing the Sandhill print large would be a treat and I am sure it has a very nice feel and brings back a good memory for you. Nice comp on the B&W. At first I thought that was some type of
...Show more

Thanks for all of the very kind words Karl. It's great to see so many familiar folks again plus their (and your)_ fantastic photos. Oh man, Ant just kind of fell off the earth after I took that Alaska trip with him to Silver Salmon Creek Lodge. If you talk to him again, be sure to say hi for me!

johnohio wrote:
Some beautiful images given new life. That first one is a stunner.

John

Thanks John. I appreciate it.

morris wrote:
Hi Ed,

I'm sorry to hear you have had a hard time and it's good to see you and your gorgeous work. Photography is a wonderful therapy and it appears to be helping you. Each of your images has a special look and is so different from the others. Ant, wow, will he show up as well?

I'm looking to see what you are doing with your Sony gear.

Morris

Thanks Morris. Good to see you're among the old faithful still posting here. The health stuff comes with getting older I guess, but fortunately, there is no permanent debilitation. I've got a fake knee now, and I'm working through a few other things, but it sure beats the alternative. I'm able to get out and hike with my dog for 4 to 5 mile hikes a few times a week, so it's all good! 👍🏼 I do appreciate your concern as well as your comments. Thanks again.

B Benson wrote:
Not sure why you would switch to Sony when you go images like these. Very nice. Bruce

Thanks Bruce. I made the switch after walking around Paris with my 1DX, 24-70 f//2.8L and the 70-200 f/2.8L IS for a few days. Ugh. I needed to downsize, and Canon had yet to come out with a decent mirrorless. Add to that the incredible AF capabilities of the Sony A9, and it was a pretty clear choice for me.

Oh, and I'm glad you enjoyed the photos, too! 😉

birdied wrote:
A stunning group of shots. All so well done. Welcome back!

Birdie

Thanks Birdie! Compliments from you are always much appreciated!

mspencer1 wrote:
Beautiful photos!

Thanks for stopping in to look Margaret, and for the kind words.

= Ed =

May 15, 2022 at 11:20 AM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Still crazy after all these years...

Registered in 2002 Ed? Geez, your vault must be older than mine.

Your EXIF must be faulty. Everyone knows the 7D made too noisy images and the 7D2 could not AF.

Yours look

Tony

May 15, 2022 at 06:08 PM
kdacharya
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Still crazy after all these years...

Lovely eclectic shots, Ed. 1st is the show stopper and love the B&W ones are well

May 15, 2022 at 11:19 PM

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password