New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Canon 135mm f2 for sports?

jjjwolf7722
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Canon 135mm f2 for sports?

Anyone try this lens out adapted to RF system for sports or fasting moving objects. Our toddler is starting to get into those type of activities. Ideally RF 70-200 f2.8 would work but thatís expensive.

May 14, 2022 at 11:57 AM
TeamSpeed
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Canon 135mm f2 for sports?

I use my Sigma 135 f1.8 for sports on the R6 so why not the Canon?

May 14, 2022 at 01:44 PM
drimer
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Canon 135mm f2 for sports?

jjjwolf7722 wrote:
Anyone try this lens out adapted to RF system for sports or fasting moving objects. Our toddler is starting to get into those type of activities. Ideally RF 70-200 f2.8 would work but thatís expensive.

It should be able to handle that use case just fine. I use a 135mm on my R cameras, and also some 70-200mm lenses. Also, any of the EF 70-200mm 2.8 lenses work great on the R system with the exception of the 70-200 IS mark 1. If you want the light weight, the 135mm is your only real fast alternative to the RF 70-200mm, and itís a great one!

Also, my slower to focus 105mm Sigma works great on the R bodies for sports. Havenít used the 135mm much for action but should work like a treat!

May 14, 2022 at 01:45 PM
jedibrain
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Canon 135mm f2 for sports?

Yes, in ES mode you can get 20FPS, or using any of the mechanical shutter modes around 8 fps. All in all it works well.

Brian

May 14, 2022 at 04:35 PM
JohnSil
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Canon 135mm f2 for sports?

jjjwolf7722 wrote:

Wolf, as far as I know all the EF lenses work just fine on the R cameras.
BUT you don't say WHAT those activities are. When I think toddlers I think indoors for which a 135 seems a bit longish. If outdoors then there's no real reason to be using an f2. I'd go with a zoon like a 24-105.
The more specific you be the better help you can get!
John

May 14, 2022 at 05:46 PM
jjjwolf7722
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Canon 135mm f2 for sports?

Currently everything is outdoors. Only indoor stuff is volleyball league wife is coaching for. Leaning towards 135 F2 for the cost savings alone.

May 14, 2022 at 05:50 PM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Canon 135mm f2 for sports?

While I don't shoot sports, I do shoot a ton of live music in dive clubs and not so dive clubs. That's very akin to shooting sports but usually in much worse conditions, lighting wise. I would think that the 135 would be a good lens for the times that it's the right focal length for you shot but so often it's not. My favorite all time lens for ths would be the 70-200 2.8 v2 or 3 (with the 1.4 converter too) and reserve the 135 for those few occasions where you absolutely need the extra stop. You will severely limit your framing capability by using the prime all the time.

May 14, 2022 at 06:14 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Canon 135mm f2 for sports?

Peter Figen wrote:
While I don't shoot sports, I do shoot a ton of live music in dive clubs and not so dive clubs. That's very akin to shooting sports but usually in much worse conditions, lighting wise. I would think that the 135 would be a good lens for the times that it's the right focal length for you shot but so often it's not. My favorite all time lens for ths would be the 70-200 2.8 v2 or 3 (with the 1.4 converter too) and reserve the 135 for those few occasions where you absolutely need the extra stop. You
...Show more

That's pretty much my take on this, too.

I used to use the wonderful EF 135mm f/2L lens, and one of the main reasons I had it was for indoor event photography, most of musicians but also some theatrical performances. When (and if) I put myself in just the right spot, it worked beautifully for those subjects...

... but, as you note, "often it's not" quite right. Either you need a bit larger angle of view to include more or you want to get in close for a tighter shot of one person. With the prime ó and they have advantages for some things ó you aren't going to be able to respond to these things as quickly, if at all.

The 70-200mm f/2.8 is a real workhorse for this kind of stuff. With modern sensors, you can shoot in pretty low light at f/2.8, and the IS feature extends that range further in some situations. And, obviously, you can respond to those changing circumstances.

Back to our OP, I have questions about what he is describing. He asks about shooting "sports," but then mentions that his "toddler" is about at that age. It seems safe to assume that a current toddler isn't likely to be playing NBA basketball or competing in giant slalom any time soon, so I wonder what he is really thinking he'll photograph? Is he thinking forward to T-ball? Swimming lessons? Something else?

Because what makes a fine "sports" lens in the usual context is generally a lot different from what makes for a good lens to photograph the kids.

Dan

May 14, 2022 at 06:29 PM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Canon 135mm f2 for sports?

If you liked the 135L, then don't get the Sigma 135mm 1.8. You'll just be depressed at how mediocre is makes the Canon lens look, but then, that lens is something like thirty years old. The Sigma is in a different league.

May 14, 2022 at 08:53 PM
rek101
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Canon 135mm f2 for sports?

OK, so I don't have an R6 or R5, just an RP with a pretty basic focus system, but I have used this lens to take photos of our two year old at gymnastics class. I think it focuses very quickly and accurately...and if you had a camera with IBIS, this would be even better. Lighting is pretty bad. To get to 1/800, I need to be at ISO 8000.

That being said, I prefer using an 85 1.8 (I have a Tamron version) which doesn't focus as quickly. I just prefer 85mm, like the rendering better (to my eye, the 135 has a kind of dreamy retro look to it), and prefer having IS since my body doesn't have IBIS.

Also, if you can handle the heft of the 70 200 2.8, I do think that's more versatile but the heft is just too much for me.

May 14, 2022 at 09:12 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

johnctharp
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Canon 135mm f2 for sports?

Peter Figen wrote:
If you liked the 135L, then don't get the Sigma 135mm 1.8. You'll just be depressed at how mediocre is makes the Canon lens look, but then, that lens is something like thirty years old. The Sigma is in a different league.

Then there's the size and weight difference...

May 14, 2022 at 10:08 PM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Canon 135mm f2 for sports?

johnctharp wrote:

But then there's the optical performance difference.

May 15, 2022 at 12:55 AM
JohnSil
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Canon 135mm f2 for sports?

jjjwolf7722 wrote:
Currently everything is outdoors. Only indoor stuff is volleyball league wife is coaching for. Leaning towards 135 F2 for the cost savings alone.

Wolf, adult activities is a bit different.
BUT, I'd go to The Digital Picture and actually look at his comparison charts for the different lenses and cameras and compare them directly.
John
https://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/ISO-12233-Sample-Crops.aspx?Lens=108&Camera=979&Sample=0&FLI=0&API=0&LensComp=458&CameraComp=0&FLIComp=0&APIComp=0

May 15, 2022 at 01:56 AM
jjjwolf7722
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Canon 135mm f2 for sports?

gdanmitchell wrote:
Back to our OP, I have questions about what he is describing. He asks about shooting "sports," but then mentions that his "toddler" is about at that age. It seems safe to assume that a current toddler isn't likely to be playing NBA basketball or competing in giant slalom any time soon, so I wonder what he is really thinking he'll photograph? Is he thinking forward to T-ball? Swimming lessons? Something else?

Because what makes a fine "sports" lens in the usual context is generally a lot different from what makes for a good lens to photograph the kids.

Dan

No specific events as of now. Indoor volleyball for wife's coaching at time. Look at a more long term investment. Have found that non of the STM RF lens (35, 50, 85) aren't great for tracking objects quickly. My previous 35mm GM Sony lens focusing was instant and tracked well. Same with Sony 135mm 1.8 GM that I rented for a few weeks. My long term kit goal is 35mm 1.2L (not released) and say RF 70-200 or other cheaper equivalent.

May 15, 2022 at 05:14 AM
jedibrain
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Canon 135mm f2 for sports?

Sounds like you are after the 135 f2 as a middle ground in focal length and lower in cost than a 70-200 2.8. With shooting your kids in the yard either will work just fine. For events, such as games where you can necessarily 'zoom with your feet' it will limit how you shoot, but there are a lot of people that shoot with primes and a lot of people that shoot with zooms. They all make it work.

On the used market the Canon 135 goes for $600-700 (haven't looked in a while. You can get a 70-200 2.8 v1 for around that same price, or a v2 for 1000-1200. Sometimes a sigma 70-200 comes up in that 1k range as well. You just need to decide how much you want to spend and how you like to shoot. On an R6 the 135 focuses fast enough for sure, just can't keep up with the mechanical shutter at 12fps. The 70-200 v2 and v3 can. 135mm is also a pretty small lens, which is nice too.

Brian

May 15, 2022 at 07:20 AM
johnctharp
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Canon 135mm f2 for sports?

Peter Figen wrote:
But then there's the optical performance difference.

Having shot both, hard agree - the EF 135/2L is a good lens with good rendering, but is far from technically perfect.

Aside from the crossover of focal length and similarity of aperture, I don't really see the two lenses as being comparable - if you need portability / ease of handling, the Canon lens is a treat, and if you need optical performance at the same focal length with a similarly wide aperture, the Sigma is near unbeatable.

May 15, 2022 at 03:29 PM
AmbientMike
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Canon 135mm f2 for sports?

jjjwolf7722 wrote:

135 is pretty similar to 70-200 for me, I've considered 135/2 since it has an extra stop over the 70-200/2.8's. I think the price has been pretty stable, over the years, with a bit of luck might be able to buy used try it and resell for minimal cost if you want to.

Thinking 200/2 used to be a good volleyball lens, 135 has the f/2 and a similar FL. I think most of the sports I've done, mostly a little basketball and volleyball using 50/1.8 on crop so it's hard to believe the 135/2 isn't better.

Other options in your pricerange might be 3rd party and the non IS 70-200/2.8. I haven't found IS to be terribly useful for sports, to this point.

May 15, 2022 at 04:45 PM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Canon 135mm f2 for sports?

johnctharp wrote:

I still carry around that unbalanced monster 200mm 1.8, so everything else is a feather to me.

May 15, 2022 at 06:23 PM
Rajan Parrikar
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Canon 135mm f2 for sports?

Peter Figen wrote:

I had similar thoughts when I tried the Zeiss ZE 135 f/2 APO (and to my regret didn't buy it when it was being phased out for the Milvus line). Still, the EF 135 was a great lens for its time, one I put to good use not only for portraits but for street and landscape as well.

May 16, 2022 at 03:58 AM
Methodical
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Canon 135mm f2 for sports?

I've used the 135 f2 for basketball (once for football near the endzone) and it worked out great. I also use the 85 1.8 for both. Don't get stuck using the lenses that the "so called professionals" use all the time and experiment with what you have. Hell, I used the 500 and now 600 to shoot football and there are those who use the 200 f2 and 300 2.8 at basketball games. I like that because folks are seeing things differently and opening up their options and getting creative. Besides, if you are shooting a toddler a 135 won't be too long and you may need to crop with your feet.

I am not one to always want full body sport, plus there are usually too many bodies flying around to always get full body shots or shots you don't need to crop out body parts. I have sold all styles of images that were full body, half body, head shots etc. I have not shot sports since getting the R body because of COVID and spending lots of time renovating one our our properties. That will soon change this upcoming season.

May 16, 2022 at 08:00 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password